Excursion Question, Drift snorkel

peggy1

Hi, we are thinking about doing the drift snorkel, but have some questions. How easy is it to get in and out of the outrigger? DH has had knees replaced and I am wondering if it will be something he will have problems with getting in and out of outrigger. Or do they let you out and in from a beach front? We have snorkeled everywhere but never from an outrigger. We see that Bruno's in Raietea is from an outrigger and it doesn't say if Princess has the same set up. We would like to make some decision on which would be best. Thanks.

When we went on the drift snorkel, we had to hop out of the boat about 10-20 feet from the motu and walk through the shallow water to shore. We then had to walk a pretty significant distance to the beginning of the drift snorkel. I think this is pretty typical since the outriggers stay at the end of the reef area.

It really depends upon the outrigger to be honest. I have seen them with ladders and hand rails - the crew will help you into the boat. Also, the drift snorkel we took in Raitea actually had a ramp that went into the ocean. You just swam over and hoisted yourself up onto the edge. I have had back surgery and it was okay, although not the piece of cake it might have been years ago. if your DH lets them know that he might need a little help, they will be all over him, esepcially if it means a more generous tip at the end. Definitely do a drift snorkel if you can because it is an incredible sight!

Charlie

Archived