Hotels in Philadelphia

If you do not plan to sightsee and are just coming in the night before your cruise then I would stay at the Holiday Inn Stadium approximately 4 miles from the port. For the one night, it will be cheaper opposed to the downtown area., you can always take a 15-minute cab ride to the Old city or the museums if you get bored.

Holiday Inn Hotel – Philadelphia Stadium. Located in South Philadelphia and only steps from the Sports Complex. The hotel is perfectly located between Downtown Philadelphia and Philadelphia Airport.

Here is a link to info on the port and there is a brochure that gives you 4 different hotels...

http://www.cruisephilly.com/

The Holiday Inn at the Stadium is the closest...Sheraton Society Hill is most likely the nicest (Society Hill is near old city).

The cruise port is at the Navy Yard...if you look on a map you will see that the stadiums, navy yard and airport are south of the city...

I really would not recommend staying at the closest hotel. There is nothing near it other than the ball park. Plus tripadvisor rating are generally poor.

If you are getting in early enough to be able to sightsee, then I would suggest a "center city" hotel. If you won't have much time, then one of the airport hotels may serve you just as well and for less money.

I stayed at the Sheraton Society Hill last summer and would recommend it. It is a short walk to the historic district and the waterfront. You should be able to get a good price as well.

The above is a very good hotel, and not far away is the new Hyatt Regency on the water front, Both hotels are in good locations, and are approximately 20 mins from the cruise port.

There are also the Holiday Inn and the Ramada on Route 291 in Essington. Less than a 10 minute drive to the port. Not too fancy, but a close location.

By the way, when are you going? My sister and I are going on the Empress on August 18.

If your plan is arriving a day early to tour Philadelphia, then I would stay at one of the two in the Old City section (Sheraton Society Hill or the Hyatt on the river) those hotels are in the heart of the Historic area and easy walking to any of the sites ie; Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, The National Constitution Center, Betsy Ross house etc:.

If you are just arriving early to make the cruise then one of the others mentioned would be fine, but they would require either taxi's or a rental car to get around town.

I did Empress last Sept and went through the CruisePhilly bookings previously mentioned - it was very nice to leave the car at the hotel instead of the pier. I didn't find issue w/ the Holiday Inn Stadium... I do know it was booked solid, so our friends that came in w/o a reservation were out of luck!

JC

I live near Philadelphia. You will definitely have a nicer experience in theOlde City section at the Sheraton, Holiday Inn or the Omni. Ther isplenty to dointheHistoric section of the City. The other hotels mentioned are not close to the City.

Sheraton at Society Hill is one of the nicest places I ever stayed in and I went to Philly with no reservations and it was the only one around, expensive but walking distance to where we wanted to go. Last time in Philly, cheapest was Days Inn near Penn's Landing on the river, not sure how far from the terminal but it was ok and only $7 (at the time), from a very rainy Reading Market.

If you want to spend *any* time seeing Philadelphia, or even having a good dinner the night before your cruise, I recommend either the Hyatt (right on the river) or Sheraton Society Hill. Both are lovely hotels in excellent locations on their own, and easy bases for seeing the historic district of Philadelphia, plus lots of FUN places. :)

We stayed at the Hyatt at Penn's Landing 2 yrs ago for a long weekend. It is a lovely hotel, right on the river. You have easy access to restaurants, and are only about a 15-20 min drive from the airport. There is a festival site right next door, and they have things going on there all the time. And check out the concert schedule at the Tweeter Center right across the river and a short ferry ride......you may be lucky enough to catch a great concert on your night in town! The Camden aquarium is also right across the river and accessible by the ferry. I would highly recommend this hotel.

The area of South Philly near the pier is not traveler-friendly or picturesque.....it is VERY industrial. You will not regret taking the extra driving time into the city!

Archived