Afternoon tea on board?

BunkerVA & MotherHen...Okay I have a plan. We can all bring our favorite tea aboard & beg good china from the staff. Won't everyone think we've gone batty if we have our own afternoon tea? There must be someone on our roll call who will play the piano for us.

Mary- That would be FAB for one of our days at sea!!!!! :)

I'm not a big tea drinker and have never been to an afternoon tea, but it sounds like fun. I'm shocked that RCI seems to be the ONLY line that doesn't offer it. Come on, even Carnival has it. Seriously, like someone said, it wouldn't be difficult to add at all.

My hubby was kind enough to do a tea with me on our honeymoon. We stayed at the Grand Floridian in Disney and they had a wonderful afternoon tea. The tea specifically made for the hotel was fabulous...served in all Royal Daulton...amazing! I bought a few boxes but of course they didn't last long...and my Harrod's tea just ran out, so I'm looking for some good tea today!

You're correct on the Grand Floridian afternoon tea. DH and I would drive down just to hand out there and have tea. It's a great place to people watch as well. Last year on the Caribbean Princess the tea was nice and when I saw that RCCL only offered an afternoon tea in the cafe sounded as if that was just an after thought. I suppose they just don't want to mess up the dining room and have to clean it back up again for dinner:( . Maybe if we get enough signatures something may change down the road.

On our recent Navigator transatlantic they had at least one afternoon tea in the main dining room. Although it was far from formal.

How was the tea conducted in the dining room? I don't think formal is meant as in attire. What I believe is meant is that instead of guests just plopping a tea bag in a cup themselves, they are served. And the style of dress would be reasonable as opposed to a bathing suit and cover up or shorts. The atmosphere is nice as opposed to a come as you are and deal with it yourself. I think that's all that is meant by formal. Although I'm not sure if you thought otherwise. :)

Man, I just can't handle semi-formal attire for tea! I'm just coming back from some island with island hair, sweat, some sand still sticking to me and am probably more likely to grab an iced tea to take back to the cabin to start the cleaning up process for dinner. You guys can go ahead though. :) I just don't remember the afternoon teas from years ago being so formal - nice yes, just not stuffy.

That would do nothing but start thousands of posts about smuggling tea bags and even more posts about those allergic to tea bags and how the cruise line should adhere to a firm anti-tea bag policy,etc,etc,etc

Man, I just can't handle semi-formal attire for tea! I'm just coming back from some island with island hair, sweat, some sand still sticking to me and am probably more likely to grab an iced tea to take back to the cabin to start the cleaning up process for dinner. You guys can go ahead though. :) I just don't remember the afternoon teas from years ago being so formal - nice yes, just not stuffy.

I don't think tea is offered every day. On Carnival it was only on Sea Days from what I know. Even if it was on a port day, I don't think anyone would go who had been in port. Very few people did it for that matter on Carnival. It's just something nice to have offered to those who are cleaned up and not interested in one of the many other activities to choose from at the same time. I sure wouldn't say it was even semi-formal on Carnival. I dressed very casually but didn't smell funny or have stringy hair or sand or sunscreen all over me. If I had to guess - since I don't remember - I was probably wearing flip flops.

Gina

That would do nothing but start thousands of posts about smuggling tea bags and even more posts about those allergic to tea bags and how the cruise line should adhere to a firm anti-tea bag policy,etc,etc,etc

easiest way to smuggle tea bags would be inside your dirty underwear,works for me every time-BT

Hmmm...an interesting anomoly. Perhaps because of the high number of UK cruisers on a transatlantic??

Sam :D

This is true. About 50% or more of the passengers on that sailing were Brits.

How was the tea conducted in the dining room? I don't think formal is meant as in attire. What I believe is meant is that instead of guests just plopping a tea bag in a cup themselves, they are served. And the style of dress would be reasonable as opposed to a bathing suit and cover up or shorts. The atmosphere is nice as opposed to a come as you are and deal with it yourself. I think that's all that is meant by formal. Although I'm not sure if you thought otherwise. :)

On the Celebrity Constellation transatlantic in April 2006 the afternoon tea was not nearly as casual as on Royal which is not surprising.

I am not knocking RCI (or its cruisers) in any way, shape or form (as it is my favorite line on which to sail) but the cost of Celebrity is more, so I would expect the clientele to be older and less casual.

This is true. About 50% or more of the passengers on that sailing were Brits.

So, I just have to tell DH that we HAVE to book a transatlantic cruise because they have afternoon tea. (It's gonna be a tough sell!!!!!!!!!) :D

Or you could take Crystal. Afternoon tea is served every afternoon in the Palm Court right next to the Crow's Nest. There is a trio playing for the hour, and the servers all wear tails with white gloves (no comments about tails - you know what I mean). They bring around your choice of several different types of tea, sandwiches, sweets, cookies, scones, etc. It's truly a rough life.;) Nancy

Or you could take Crystal. Afternoon tea is served every afternoon in the Palm Court right next to the Crow's Nest. There is a trio playing for the hour, and the servers all wear tails with white gloves (no comments about tails - you know what I mean). They bring around your choice of several different types of tea, sandwiches, sweets, cookies, scones, etc. It's truly a rough life.;) Nancy

Believe me, as soon as I read this I sat down to figure out how many mortgage payments it would cost for the two of us!!!!! :D

How fabulous!!!!!!!

Safe travels,

So, I just have to tell DH that we HAVE to book a transatlantic cruise because they have afternoon tea. (It's gonna be a tough sell!!!!!!!!!) :D

Just be sure the cruise that you book begins or concludes in the U.K. :)

Just be sure the cruise that you book begins or concludes in the U.K. :)

Kewl - hi there!! 50% Brits on board our last ta? Are you sure? I would have said about half that - but I don't know!!

The tea was quite good on RCCL- we enjoyed it. Not like the Princess afternoon tea or the HAL Dutch High Tea, of course. But those two lines have traditional afternoon tea backgrounds. (Princess was British of course - before Carnival!).

Problem is that on none of these lines can you get really good scones. And the cream is pathetic (not synthetic:D) and strawberry jam is not always supplied - oh dearie me!!:eek:

Archived