What to buy onboard the ship?

Keisele

We usually buy our gifts and other tokens from the cruise at the ports. However, sometimes the ships offer some nice deals on certain things (I'm not talking about the gold by the inch chains either). I was wondering if anyone thought the ship they were on had decent prices on perfumes, purses, jewelry, etc. We will be crusing the western caribbean which does not have the shopping (IMHO) that the eastern caribbean has.

We usually buy our gifts and other tokens from the cruise at the ports. However, sometimes the ships offer some nice deals on certain things (I'm not talking about the gold by the inch chains either). I was wondering if anyone thought the ship they were on had decent prices on perfumes, purses, jewelry, etc. We will be crusing the western caribbean which does not have the shopping (IMHO) that the eastern caribbean has.

They have nice name brand watches for 44% off and sometimes they mark their Carnival t-shirts down to 5.00

Fred

I've found a deal or two on perfume and cologne. It might be a good idea - if you haven't already - to see what the lowest price you can find where you live is on the items you are considering. Then you'll know whether the price on board ship is better or not. (Don't forget to count taxes at home if they apply.) As far as on board as compared to in port...the ship has signs that state their prices are the lowest. My knowledge is limited so I can't say for sure if that is true or not.

I was disappointed with the $10 section of the ship. I think the quality has gone down on some of the items...and it was disappointing to see you can now buy the same thing for the same price at some airports. (Of course you'd have to pay taxes at the airport.) Even so...they have some evening bags that aren't too bad, shawls, and certain types of watches.

Pink - I agree, the evening purses were too good a deal to pass up.:) I've also brought them back as gifts for friends, as well as the little shawls. Simple and nice.

Keisele - I have a set of the three Carnival cookbooks. Makes a nice gift, and also the big box of 4 or 5 (?) individually boxed rum cakes. My friends always look forward to those. Since they're individually boxes inside the big box, you can give to five friends.:D

I've bought a couple of jewlery pieces as well as t-shirts and other souvenir type items from the on-board shops. However, I always look forward to purchasing one of the pretty charger type plates that they have in the dining room from the formalities shop.

This is a crazy idea...but each cruise I buy a "ship" Christmas ornament and I try to buy an ornament at every port I visit...decorating the tree each Christmas season brings back many great memories and brings a smile to my face...I love it!

This is a crazy idea...but each cruise I buy a "ship" Christmas ornament and I try to buy an ornament at every port I visit...decorating the tree each Christmas season brings back many great memories and brings a smile to my face...I love it!

It's not a crazy idea, i know lots of people that collect ornaments for each ship & island.

I have been very pleased with the jewelry I've purchased on board. I got some emerald jewelry a few years ago, and some tanzanite pieces on a later cruise. I have had all of the items appraised, and each piece appraised at substantially more than we paid.

DH has bought a watch on board, also. We didn't do any comparison shopping, so I don't know if the price was much better than on land.

If you want to buy something from the gift shop with the Carnival logo, wait until they have the "one day sale." Don't worry about missing it, a large ad will be in the Capers. On past cruises, the sale was usually the last day at sea.

Happy shopping!!

Jennifer has found bargains on perfume and jewelry. She bought a ring on the Dawn Princess that is something of a work of art that EVERYONE comments on.

I think you can find some very good deals on liquor. We almost always buy a bottle or two just because it's so cheap. It seems that there's always a promo on Johnnie Walker and Absolut.

I like to grab the cheap Carnival logo merchandise toward the end of the cruise. Good t-shirts and such.

Believe it or not, some of the art at the auctions is actually a very good deal. We're still kicking ourselves for not getting a particular piece on the Golden Princess.

I'm the kind of girl, I wear 1 watch everyday. I take it off for showering only. I finally killed a watch after about 12 years. Started looking for a new one with a sturdy metal band. Went to a large store, found one that I loved until I realized it was $125 on sale (at least 60% off).

2 weeks later, I found the same Citizen watch for about $78 on my Carnival cruise. :D

I remember purchasing on the miracle in 2004 polo dresses. I use it as a beach coverup. They were very cheap(in price). I believe it was 2/$20 or $30. I can't wait to get another one.

I do usually stock up on liquor. I save some for the holidays and give them as gifts.

Wait until the last day to buy. Usually they have a few things on sale. I bought a Carnival sweatshirt for half off. I also bought a few small memory boxes for friends. Some had dophins on them, the one that I bought for myself looked like a margarita. They open so one can put something very small in them. My hubby bought a t-shirt.

I like to buy Sheridan's - that white and dark split bottle of liqueur. It is really hard to get in the U.S. and it is some wonderful stuff!

I also love Sheridans, and buy as much as I can bring back. I've checked out liquor stores in four states so far - also on line - and the last person I checked with told me that Sheridans isn't sold in the USA. :(

I have bought many things other posted like jewlrey and purses. My favorite buy was on the Valor, a beautiful hooded sweatshirt last year. This sweatshirt is well made and came in many colors. This is the only ship it's been found on though.

For my grand kids I get gifts like girl purses with a different animal inside, matching shirt and hat, or stuffed animals(carnival).

Archived