What to buy onboard the ship?

Keisele

Okay Forchunut1 & Cotton, I'll bite...what does Sheridan's taste like? I like all different kind of liquors, so something I can't buy in the States just makes me that much more curious. I love Kahlua & Bailey's. Is it something along those lines? I have a feeling I will be buying at least one bottle, even if it is just a conversation piece. Kathy ;)

Ive bought the $10 carat stones...usually Blue Topaz or Ameyth. Most are at 5-6 carats+ but boy do they make a beautiful ring or necklace when you set them. If you havent picked up booze in your ports this is not a bad place to grab a few bottles. I agree that the fancy handbags are a good deal and Swarovski crystal isnt to bad either with it being duty free.

Since you are Western I would bet you are doing Caymens...I would buy my rum cakes there. The 3 or 5 packs are nice for gifts...just put a nice colorfil fabric ribbon on them and your friends will love ya for it.

i never buy any one thing that is expensive (once i bought a watch, but even that wasn't really expensive), but i do buy a lot of stuff on board. a lot of little stuff: beer/drink huggies; sport water bottles (for my kids millions of sports (well used); nice ladies tanks (not t-shirt type screen print, but much nicer quality); travel coffee mugs; regular coffee cups; zip-sport tote/gym bag to lug those towels ashore; nice baseball cap w/ ship's name; etc. a lot of stuff that i actually do get use out of, but nothing over the top expensive.

I also buy an ornament of each ship. Someday, I might just have enough ships for a small tree to be decorated but for now yes it is a fun reminder of my trips through the year. I also try to buy ornaments at the ports but it is not as easy.

I like to buy Sheridan's - that white and dark split bottle of liqueur. It is really hard to get in the U.S. and it is some wonderful stuff!

Hello, that stuff is the awasome. Some guy and my self bought the last two bottles on the Miracle 3 weeks ago,and that was like 3 days into the cruise, that shows about that stuff, its that good its like 21.75 dollars for a one liter bottle. Diffently worth it, and the bottle is bigger than you can buy in St Thomas at AH Rise Store. GOOD STUFF.....:D

I have been very pleased with the jewelry I've purchased on board. I got some emerald jewelry a few years ago, and some tanzanite pieces on a later cruise. I have had all of the items appraised, and each piece appraised at substantially more than we paid.

DH has bought a watch on board, also. We didn't do any comparison shopping, so I don't know if the price was much better than on land.

If you want to buy something from the gift shop with the Carnival logo, wait until they have the "one day sale." Don't worry about missing it, a large ad will be in the Capers. On past cruises, the sale was usually the last day at sea.

Happy shopping!!

Your husband probably did very well. Next year, I plan to look at prices before I board. My wife assures me that Carnival has very good prices at or better than the "deal" prices in Grand Cayman. Of course, you're not paying tax either. They did a big watch sale on the last night of our cruise this year. I may pick upnew watches for both of us next year.

Okay Forchunut1 & Cotton, I'll bite...what does Sheridan's taste like? I like all different kind of liquors, so something I can't buy in the States just makes me that much more curious. I love Kahlua & Bailey's. Is it something along those lines? I have a feeling I will be buying at least one bottle, even if it is just a conversation piece. Kathy ;)

No one answered so I had to Google. It appears to be a coffee and white chocolate flavored liquer. Sounds yummy. I'll need to pick some up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheridan's

I would definitely recommend checking prices before you go. There were some bargains, but some of the stuff we looked at was way overpriced. The cologne that I use was $41 for 1.7 oz on the ship. I buy the 3.4 oz bottle at Sam's Club for $40+tax. A lot of the liquor didn't seem that great of a deal either. When you look at what you can buy a 1.75 liter bottle for at a grocery store here versus the 1 liter bottle on the ship, it's about the same $/liter. We thought about buying a couple of Citizen watches. They were $285 and $150 on the ship. Back home we found them for $325 and $125, so one was a deal and the other wasn't.

I would definitely recommend checking prices before you go. There were some bargains, but some of the stuff we looked at was way overpriced. The cologne that I use was $41 for 1.7 oz on the ship. I buy the 3.4 oz bottle at Sam's Club for $40+tax. A lot of the liquor didn't seem that great of a deal either. When you look at what you can buy a 1.75 liter bottle for at a grocery store here versus the 1 liter bottle on the ship, it's about the same $/liter. We thought about buying a couple of Citizen watches. They were $285 and $150 on the ship. Back home we found them for $325 and $125, so one was a deal and the other wasn't.

Have only been on 2 Carnival cruises, but the perfumes were more than home ( if you know how to shop), and wouldn't touch the jewelry, although it was nice. The watch specials didn't seem like a great deal to me, when the same brands, Citizen, Anne Klein, could be had at TJ MAXX, Sams, etc, for quite a bit less......... just my opinion :p

I would definitely recommend checking prices before you go. There were some bargains, but some of the stuff we looked at was way overpriced. A lot of the liquor didn't seem that great of a deal either. When you look at what you can buy a 1.75 liter bottle for at a grocery store here versus the 1 liter bottle on the ship, it's about the same $/liter.

I agree -- know your prices before buying. If your cruise takes you to St. Thomas and you want rum, go to the k-mart in Charlotte Amalie for unbelievable prices. And don't forget you get a bonus of 5 liters here also!

If you are stopping at St. Maarten, you can find ridiculous (low) prices on Stoli vodka.

I usually take a clipping from a liquor store in the local paper along just for reference.

Archived