Dumb wine questions

tomboyy

I would like to try some wine on my cruise. Does all wines come chilled? I don't think I would like room temp . I bought a basket to be delivered to my room that had white wine and fruit and cheeses.. can this be taken to the dining room for dinner? Any suggestions on what kind wine to get .. I can tell you that I'll be ordering lobster and beef dishes. Cotton .. I'd like your info if you have time and to tell you a quick sorry if I'm a bit gruff sometimes:)

Tom

White wine should be served chilled. Most reds are served at room temp. Yes, you can take the wine to the dining room earlier in the day you would like to have it for dinner. They will tag it, and have it beside your chair in a standing ice bucket when you arrive. If you don't finish it that evening, they'll refrigerate it and have it ready for you the next evening.

Since the wine is being sent to your cabin, you need to let the waiter know at dinner, so he won't charge a corkage fee. (Some waiters charge it, some don't.)

.....Nice to meet the new Tom.:)

Ooops, forgot about the food ... Serious wine connoisseurs once insisted that only white wine be served w/seafood and poultry dishes; red with meat. However, unless you are around wine snobs, just about anything goes these days. Whatever your preference is what you should have. I drink only white wine myself, no matter what the entree might be.;)

White wine at room temp is not good, at least for my palate. I like it as cold as possible. Red I like at room temp, but I can't drink much of it. Rosé I like chilled as well, but I'm not sure whats customary as I have only had it at home.

I wouldn't worry about pairings as long as it tastes good to you, everyone is different.

I would go along with the white-chilled, red-room temperature advice. However, there are times with red (although I doubt this would happen on a ship), when they've stored it in a place that's too warm, and it comes to the table too warm. In that case, it's perfectly acceptable to request an ice bucket and submerge the wine for a little while to bring the temperature down. Since you will be having multiple courses, I wouldn't get too hung up on the white-red thing. If you're having beef or lamb as a main couse, you might try to time the meat with the red. Prime Rib or a Porterhouse is fabulous with a big red like a Medoc that's predominately Cabernet Sauvignon, or a Piedmont red like Barolo or Barbaresco. The important thing is to try different ones from all over the world. If you're American, don't just concentrate on California wines. It's only by tasting different things over the course time that you can develop your taste and preferences.

I love wine, but I am by far not a wine snob. A great 'introductory' wine is white zinfandel. It is the pink wine that is sweeter than lots of the others. For someone not used to drinking wine, it will probably be a good choice for you. (Wine snobs will steer you away from this foo foo wine.)

White wines are served chilled, but the colder a wine is . .. the less you can taste the complexities of the flavors. So, truly, you want your wine to be just cool enough that it does not cause evaporation on your wine glass. Many people drink their wines colder than that and that is perfectly fine. If you end up with a wine that you do not like that much, drink it colder . . . you lose some of the taste and it is better for you. This works for whites and reds.

Try a Riesling. It is a white wine that has become more popular lately and is often a little sweeter on the palate.

When choosing a red wine, ask for a fruitier one . . . like a Pinot Noir. It is a nice choice for a wine 'beginner.' Some of the 'big' reds, like some Cabernet Sauvinons are very dry. Dry wines are the ones that make the inside of your mouth taste like bark when you drink them. Believe it our not, these are really good wines to drink with meat (like beef or lamb) because there is something in the meat that reacts with the tannins in the wine that make them really work well together. You can also try a piece of dark chocolate with some of these big wines and see what happens. Often it is surprisingly good! That is the fun thing about wines . . . experimenting.

I hate drinking room temperature red wine. It is meant to be served at the room temperature of some cellar in France, which I absolutely assure you is far cooler than any room in Charleston, SC . . . ever! I always chill my red wine, just not as much as my white wine. I also ask for a wine bucket to chill it when I get it at a restaurant. I have never had anyone look at me funny and so what if they did.

Do not miss champagne! It is wonderful and bubbly and great as a before dinner drink or with your dessert. This is always served cold.

Have a great cruise and I hope you enjoy the wine!

Ooops, forgot about the food ... Serious wine connoisseurs once insisted that only white wine be served w/seafood and poultry dishes; red with meat. However, unless you are around wine snobs, just about anything goes these days. Whatever your preference is what you should have. I drink only white wine myself, no matter what the entree might be.;)

I would say, just wannabe-connoisseurs would follow such a simplistic rule.

Which wine matches best is not only a matter of food but also a matter of preparation. White sauces go better with white wine, and everything which is seared or grilled can be paired with red wine.

Although it is beef, drink white wine with boeuf stroganoff, because it matches better with a creamy white sauce. And a spicy, pan-seared fish is well accompanied by a red wine. And of course you drink red wine with coq au vin - chicken cooked in red burgundy. Try a grand Bordeaux together with grilled lobster - and forget the rule.

In Paris, there is a restaurant which serves nothing but seafood. And imagine: Two thirds of the entries in the extensive wine list are reds!

The problem is: You don't know how the food is prepared. Therefore ask your wine steward, he (or she) will be happy to suggest wine pairings. Tell him/her from the beginning what your price range would be and he/she will suggest according wines.

Usually, you will find recommended wines by the glass for each dish on your daily menu. These wines are usually affordable. Enjoy a French-style dinner: With each course, a different wine.

Keep an open mind... don't let people tell you what you should drink, figure out what you like.

There are reasons that those rules of thumb (white for seafood, red for beef) came about... wines can enhance the flavor of food (and the reverse). When I was discovering wine, I attended a wine dinner at a local restaurant. For one course, they poured a particular wine and had us taste the wine, then they bought that course and asked everyone to smell that dish, but not to taste it, and then taste the wine again. I was stunned that the wine tasted very different, just because of the smells from that food. I was hooked at that point.

If possible before your cruise, find a local wine or liquor store that has wine tastings. Start tasting and fiqure out what you like...

(BTW - We have a mixed marriage. I'm partial to reds (big bold ones) and my DH is strictly a chardonnay drinker. So thankfully we can open separate bottles and drink on them multiple nights.)

Good luck and have fun with it...

• 3 weeks later...
White wine should be served chilled. Most reds are served at room temp. Yes, you can take the wine to the dining room earlier in the day you would like to have it for dinner. They will tag it, and have it beside your chair in a standing ice bucket when you arrive. If you don't finish it that evening, they'll refrigerate it and have it ready for you the next evening.

So if you are going to BYOB it should be done in the day before dinner, not when you arrive??

Wine should only be served cold if it is cheap or young. Cheap wine (less than $20 a bottle -retail not restaurant price which is usually triple) or red wine less than 5-10 years old should be drunk chilled to avoid the unpleasant acidic bite. That is why boxed wine is served right out of the refrigerator because it is both young and cheap. Let it warm up and yuk. Even if it cost $300 a bottle, if you drink it too young, it will be acidic and not pleasant. Drinking it cold will help it going down but not your stomach in the middle of the night. Also, eating cheese with young or cheap wine will help mask the acidity and make the wine taste a lot better. Don't eat cheese with older wine or you'll miss out on a lot of the flavors.

A chardonnay at least 4 years old should be slightly warmer than room temperture otherwise you miss all of the buttery flavors and textures. A souvignon blanc could be a little colder to compliment the subltle grassiness.

A red at least 8-10 years old should be served at room temperture or slightly colder to get all of those complex flavors. The cool thing is that well aged wine will change every 10 minutes! It will taste different at 15 minutes then 30, then 45, then an hour later.

If you really want to see what all the fuss is about, and you really want to buy one bottle of really great wine, get a French from 2000-2004.

Also be aware that at many many restaurants, switch years on you. If you order one year, they very often bring you another year. If the menu says a Cabernet 2001 they might bring a 2006 but expect you to pay the price for a 2001. This is such a common occurance, I can't help but think it's planned. Even in a tourist trap, when asked if they have anything older than a 2006, the answer is often no, even though their wine list is full of listings of 1978-2000. Always check the bottle! This has happened to us all over the world from tourist traps to better restaurants (but not at the finest restaurants who tend to have the real thing).

In addition, if you decide to get a really really great wine, do not have any vinegar with it, like salads (the dressing) or picked olives and artichokes, as they will fight with the wine.

Anyway, that is how really great old wine should be consumed for opitmum flavor complexity, which is what really amazing aged wine is all about. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with drinking inexpensive wine. Some wines are meant to be drunk young that are made with less acidity, like Beaujolais Nouveau. Australian wines are meant to be drunk young and do not age well, except for the bigger reds that wineries like Marquis Philips makes that do age like a big French Bordeaux. Also, I have never ever had a bad Chianti. So if you're having Italian, especially in Italy, you will not go wrong with a Chianti and it matches the food perfectly.

Lastly, the bottom line is that it is your preferance that counts. When we go to our wine club's tastings half of the room loves one wine over the other and they can argue quite extensively about why, just like people can argue intelligently over who was the greatest pitcher or right fielder of all time. My personal favorite wine in the whole world is a Sparkling Cabernet that I bought in Australia for about $10 a bottle. I mentioned it once at our wine club's tasting, knowing the reaction I would get and enjoyed every minute of thier dissaproval. But I don't care because it is MY favorite!icon11.gif Find your favorite.

Wow I just learned a lot about wine from this thread but I am just a wine wannabe. I am not familiar with any wines really except white zin. It was ok but after awhile it started tasting dry to me. I would like to find some wines that are fruity and not dry to try. Not too sweet but definately not sour or dry like champagne. They don't have to be cheap. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Thanks.

Wow I just learned a lot about wine from this thread but I am just a wine wannabe. I am not familiar with any wines really except white zin. It was ok but after awhile it started tasting dry to me. I would like to find some wines that are fruity and not dry to try. Not too sweet but definately not sour or dry like champagne. They don't have to be cheap. Can anyone give me some suggestions? Thanks.

I don't know if you live in a wet country or a dry country, or if you have to drive to Dallas and go across the river, but go to your local wine store and try a Vouvray, Pinot Grigio (or Pinot Gris in America), Chardonnay, and a Souvignon Blanc. These all taste very different and you will find at least one that you will like. Differences will be butter, or citrus or flowery or perfumy, or grassy, or a combination of several things. Ferrari Carano (Napa Valley) makes a great Fume Blanc. We find great stuff at Costco all the time. White wines are less expensive, luckily and should be drunk young unless they are much more complex like a French White Burgundy or French White Bordeaux, which needs to age much longer. Also, if you haven't seen the movie "Sideways" rent it. It's hysterical and you will learn a lot about wine too. Remember not to have any cheese while tasting the wines for the first time so that you can see how they really taste. Instead have water and crackers while tasting to cleanse your palate between the different varietals. Cheese comes later and is a perfect combination with wine. Vinegar, never.

Then you will be ready to order something perfect with your dinner on your next cruise. Have fun!

So if you are going to BYOB it should be done in the day before dinner, not when you arrive??

That's correct. Walking into the dining room with a bottle isn't chi-chi.:D I'm sure others have done that, but.....better to take it to the dining room earlier in the day and they will have it waiting at your table.

• 4 weeks later...

I tried a white recently called Moscato. It is slightly sweet and VERY tasty. Make sure it is chilled, and it is not too too sweet. You can also find it in a delectable sparkling version called Moscato di Asti. I am not a wine snob either, but I like many different types of wine. I only know what I know- nothing technical! Sometimes I crave something sweeter and I'll splurge on some honey mead that is well chilled- sweet but not cloyingly so- still crisp. Another light white that is not so sweet but is not too dry is Pino Grigio. I like that too! Sometimes I want a nice full Merlot or Pino Noir, and those are not as sweet, and red and kinda dry.

Mead is fun because it makes you feel like you should be sitting at the King's castle while you drink it. LOL

Oliver winery (nothing fancy, usually found in most grocery stores, etc.) sells Mead and also, their table red is slightly sweet and tasty, if you want something kinda sweet. Some people don't like the oaky dryness of some wines.

I have to be careful because mostly all wine gives me a headache. I have to drink a lot of water in between sips.

I love wine, but I am by far not a wine snob. A great 'introductory' wine is white zinfandel. It is the pink wine that is sweeter than lots of the others. For someone not used to drinking wine, it will probably be a good choice for you. (Wine snobs will steer you away from this foo foo wine.)

White wines are served chilled, but the colder a wine is . .. the less you can taste the complexities of the flavors. So, truly, you want your wine to be just cool enough that it does not cause evaporation on your wine glass. Many people drink their wines colder than that and that is perfectly fine. If you end up with a wine that you do not like that much, drink it colder . . . you lose some of the taste and it is better for you. This works for whites and reds.

Try a Riesling. It is a white wine that has become more popular lately and is often a little sweeter on the palate.

When choosing a red wine, ask for a fruitier one . . . like a Pinot Noir. It is a nice choice for a wine 'beginner.' Some of the 'big' reds, like some Cabernet Sauvinons are very dry. Dry wines are the ones that make the inside of your mouth taste like bark when you drink them. Believe it our not, these are really good wines to drink with meat (like beef or lamb) because there is something in the meat that reacts with the tannins in the wine that make them really work well together. You can also try a piece of dark chocolate with some of these big wines and see what happens. Often it is surprisingly good! That is the fun thing about wines . . . experimenting.

I hate drinking room temperature red wine. It is meant to be served at the room temperature of some cellar in France, which I absolutely assure you is far cooler than any room in Charleston, SC . . . ever! I always chill my red wine, just not as much as my white wine. I also ask for a wine bucket to chill it when I get it at a restaurant. I have never had anyone look at me funny and so what if they did.

Do not miss champagne! It is wonderful and bubbly and great as a before dinner drink or with your dessert. This is always served cold.

Have a great cruise and I hope you enjoy the wine!

I'm with you all the way, especially room temp for red wines versus cellars in France. The red wine should be cool not cold. Maybe I would recommend a Beaujolais which is enjoyed by many "beginners".

Just go for whatever you fancy, expiriment and enjoy!

• 1 month later...

White wne is typically served chilled but not down right cold. Reds should be served a little below room temp since the average room temperature is a little too warm (think wine cellar :)). When it comes to pairing wines with food, the best guidance is based on the heaviness/lightness of hat you are eating. A heavy dish like steaks, chili, prime rib,pastas with red sauces etc would call for a heavier wine, like a cabernet sauvignon while lighter dishes like chicken, pastas with creamy sauces, fish may call for lighter wines.

Red wines do range from light to heavy, pinot noir being lighter than cab sauv. A "heavier" white would be a chardonnay aged in oak as opposed to being aged in steel. Pinot grigio is a very light white.

The only rule carved in stone about wine is : drink what you like regardless of the food you're eating!

Bon voyage and bon appetit!

Hi Guys,

Enjoyed your comments and suggestions.

However, most red wines should be stored at "cellar" temperature @ 55 degrees, and whites @ 45-50. "Room" temperature is a misnomer, and should actually be referred to as "cellar". Some reds are allowed to rise in temperature before serving, but not more than 5-10 degrees. Not the typical "room temperature" of 70-75 degrees of a dinning room.

Thus, the reds are served "cool" and most whites are served "chilled".

As the wines warm at the table the taste will definitely change for both.

Thus, the reason for the ice bucket to keep the wines at the preferred temperatures. Thus, it is OK to cool off a red (in ice) that is too warm when brought to the table. Feel the bottle, it should be cool to the touch.

Do a taste test for yourself: Try the same bottle of red at typical "room" temperature and then cool it off for about 15 minutes (in ice). You will be amazed at the difference.

White; keep it in the ice bucket, well chilled. Most whites are young, and are meant to be crisp and chilled. There are exceptions, white bordeaux

as an example.

How did this all start?

Wine "cellars" or "caves" in Europe are typically below ground level and

the normal temperature in these cellars/caves is 55 degrees.

Taste? Its entirely up to the taster. I personally like crisp white wines, Sauvigon Blanc, Pino Grigio, and Chenin Blanc, well chilled. Reds, like Merlot and Cabernet at a cool 55 degrees.

Price: I've had expensive Chardonnay's that were so over "oaked" that I wanted to spit them out, and cheap "un-oaked" Chardonnay's that were delicious. We drink wine almost every day as an aperitif, and with dinner.

At that rate, the wines we stock in our "cellar" for daily comsumption are under $10/bottle. Find a wine store in your area (World Market) that offers samples. You will definitely be able to find something you like for a price you can afford.

I'm not a wine snob, but I thought I would share what I know. Wine is something we have enjoyed for many years.

Bon Voyage to all!

• 2 months later...

pick champagne! (or Prosecco, Cava or other sparkling wine) It's not just for celebrations anymore :-) Champagne is generally more versatile in food pairings than other wines. Although it wouldn't be my first choice for the beef dishes.

With beef look for a nice Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Zinfandel (red, not white), a nice Spanish Tempranillio, or even Chianti Classico. Malbec (one of my personal favorites) would also be a nice choice and could be a more economical option, although pricing on this lovely Argentinian red is creeping up.

I would probably select the champage/sparkling or a dry riesling with the lobster. Some others I might consider would be Gewurtztramminer, Fume Blanc, Sauvignon Blanc, or Chenin Blanc. Btw, for asian or spicy dishes it's hard to beat a nice riesling.

Note that different sauces and variations in preparation can greatly affect the wine choice. When in doubt, trust the sommelier. That's what they are they for. They are more familiar with both the dishes and the wines you are considering. And assuming they are well trained/skilled the sommelier will be able to better advise you if you are undecided between a couple different wines.

Happy cruising and wining,

W.

Hi Guys,

However, most red wines should be stored at "cellar" temperature @ 55 degrees, and whites @ 45-50. "Room" temperature is a misnomer, and should actually be referred to as "cellar". Some reds are allowed to rise in temperature before serving, but not more than 5-10 degrees. Not the typical "room temperature" of 70-75 degrees of a dinning room.

Thus, the reason for the ice bucket to keep the wines at the preferred temperatures. Thus, it is OK to cool off a red (in ice) that is too warm when brought to the table. Feel the bottle, it should be cool to the touch.

Do a taste test for yourself: Try the same bottle of red at typical "room" temperature and then cool it off for about 15 minutes (in ice). You will be amazed at the difference.

White; keep it in the ice bucket, well chilled. Most whites are young, and are meant to be crisp and chilled. There are exceptions, white bordeaux

as an example.

How did this all start?

Taste? Its entirely up to the taster. I personally like crisp white wines, Sauvigon Blanc, Pino Grigio, and Chenin Blanc, well chilled. Reds, like Merlot and Cabernet at a cool 55 degrees.

Price: I've had expensive Chardonnay's that were so over "oaked" that I wanted to spit them out, and cheap "un-oaked" Chardonnay's that were delicious. We drink wine almost every day as an aperitif, and with dinner.

At that rate, the wines we stock in our "cellar" for daily comsumption are under $10/bottle. Find a wine store in your area (World Market) that offers samples. You will definitely be able to find something you like for a price you can afford.

I'm not a wine snob, but I thought I would share what I know. Wine is something we have enjoyed for many years.

Bon Voyage to all!

well said, I would only add to allow a good red to breath.

Sunday lunch tommorow

Seared diver caught scallops, Brut Cordoniu Cava

Roast Sirlion of 28 day aged Aberdeen Angus Beef, Yorkshire Puddings, buttered cabbage,roast pots, roasting pan gravy, Chat Margaux

Triffle, Sauternes

Only 15hrs to go! regards

There's one thing you should do with wine. White wine take it out of the fridge or cooler 15 minutes before you want to drink it, and red wine, put it in the fridge for 15 minutes before you want to drink it. Make sure you go to the wine tastings on board. This way you can try a sample of a few wines and not worry if youdon't like it.

Just a quick suggestion here... See if your cruise will have a wine tasting. I believe most do. You'll have some opportunity to try some wines from the menu and ask some questions. We tasted a very nice red from Chile on our last cruise and I ended up ordering a few bottles over the remainder of the trip. I wish I could remember the name of it because it was priced very fairly for the quality.

Rhonda,

It sounds like you might enjoy some of the German offerings, which many people overlook. Try a nice spatlesen. It tends to be more fruity than dry, but a good one will have a proper amount of acid to balance the "sweet". Price wise German wines can be pretty accessable because the demand is usually much lower than wines from some of the more well known wine producing countries. Of course, you can also spend a ton of money if you're in the know.

Not all German wines are Blue Nun!!! (sorry if I offend any BN fans out there;) )

Hi Guys,

as an example.

How did this all start?

Bon Voyage to all!

Nice post and good advice. I've always cooled my reds. I agree that's it's an issue of taste. I'm not a wine snob, but I can tell the difference between cheap wines and moderately priced wines. We tend to stick to California wines only. Remember when California wines were a laugh-jokes about gallon jugs and twist off caps. Things are definitely different now. California has given the rest of the world, especially France, a run for their money. I would like to add some simple recommendations for the wine novice.

The three main types of whites (California) are

Chardonnay- considered the most full bodied of the whites and usually has a higher alcohol content- there are lots of good moderately priced ones out there- goes well with poultry and main course salads.

Pinot Grigio/Pinot Gris- are one and the same-try with pasta-is usually lighter and fruitier than Chardonnay-nearly everyone likes this one-try experimenting with different ones- I probably wouldn't drink this with steak or heavier tomato based pastas-the food would overwhelm the wine

Sauvignon Blanc- a very light refreshing white-can be fruity-tends to be dry and can even have notes of lemon and grass-goes well with light foods such as Caesar salad, most seafood and light appetizers-serve well chilled

The three main reds (once again California)

Cabernet Sauvignon- usually considered the heartiest of reds-full bodied-very flavorful-can have notes of lush red fruits-another good one to experiment with-perfect with steak and other heavy beef dishes-also good for just sipping

Merlot- lighter than Cabernet Sauvignon, but can still be very full bodied-try with other meat dishes such as pork, veal and hearty pasta dishes

Pinot Noir- now this one is difficult to get right-I've had some really bad Pinot Noir-but some of the best wine I've tasted has been Pinot Noir-this one can be anything from mild and weak to full bodied and heavy. I think it's a difficult grape to grow here so that's why taste varies so much-that being said, it's my favorite wine and I get a lot of enjoyment trying to find the good ones-would go with almost any tomato based pasta dish, beef, lamb, veal

Also, let me add that Zinfandel and White Zinfandel are made from the same type of grape. The grape peel gets removed before making White Zinfandel so that's why it's not really red and tastes lighter.

Moscato is very, very sweet and is best as a dessert wine IMO.

I hope that helps. Again, I'm no wine expect or snob. You should seek out what tastes good to you. Experimentation is key.

Archived