I Need A Good Book To Read On My Trip

mahreeya

If you like fiction based on history, read any of the Sharon Kay Penman books. They are based on English and Welsh histories from 1100-1400. The books should be read in order, but it is not mandatory. I think there are seven books in the series and each one is about 800 pages long. They are GREAT books.

• 2 weeks later...

I try to pick books from Oprah's book list. I just started doing that recently but I really enjoyed "One Hundred Years of Solitude" by Gabriel Garcia ***** and "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" whose author I can't remember. I also just started reading "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho and I already love it. It is always good to go with a classic. I really liked "Don Quixote", and "The Great Gatsby" is a fairly easy read. There are already so many books I want to read and now after seeing this thread I have more on my list!! I hope I was of some help.

I'm shocked that no one has mentioned his books...For the faint of heart, try Hearts of Atlantis and Bag a Bones. They are less scary but great stories.

You could always start with the first Gunslinger and go to the next six, now that all are completed...great set of adventures!

I also like James Patterson because they are quick reads. You can still read a couple and have plenty of time for people watching, etc.

Noel Hyde is a good ghost/hooror writer who is very enjoyable.

Only 44 days to go for me.

Rick

Need books that sing because of the language,

or make me think because the topic is so engrossing,

or give me a vicarious travel experience.

Authors such as Nasdijj or Jodi Picould or Anne Rivers Siddons or Pearl Buck.

Love this thread. I have so many books on reserve, I've reached the library's limit!

Thanks everyone.

Another good mystery that takes place on a cruise is "Buzz Cut" by James Hall.

For the romantics among us, "The time traveler's wife" is absolutley spellbiding. It's one of those "can't put it down" books and I wish I had saved it to read on my cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

One Christmas gift was the book Year of Wonder by Geraldine Brooks. The setting is England during a plague. At first I didn't even want to open it, but being short of reading material in the middle of a night while visiting relatives, I started it. While the setting isn't incidental; it's not gruesome. It's the device used by this author to describe the growth the heroine. She's drawn so believably that I wanted this to be a biography. She's an archetype. She's the kind of person I want to emulate.

It's a paperback and at 300 pages, just the right size to slip into a purse.

enjoy

I checked out this thread some time ago and was intrigued enough by all the rave reviews of the Evanovich books to take "One For the Money" out of the library. I laughed the whole way through it and within several weeks, had finished all 9 paperbacks and purchased #10 in hardcover. I asked for and received "Metro Girl" for Christmas and enjoyed it thoroughly. Thank you all for clueing me into such a wonderful author.

Kerry

I checked out this thread some time ago and was intrigued enough by all the rave reviews of the Evanovich books to take "One For the Money" out of the library. I laughed the whole way through it and within several weeks, had finished all 9 paperbacks and purchased #10 in hardcover. I asked for and received "Metro Girl" for Christmas and enjoyed it thoroughly. Thank you all for clueing me into such a wonderful author.

Kerry

So, who do you want Stephanie to be with, Joe or Ranger?

Forget the books!!! There is so much to do onboard you won't have time to sit in a deckchair. I have been on several cruises and all I managed to read was the ships newsletter and the menu. You can read at home and not pay a fortune. So go out there and live!!! Enjoy life

I'm not Kallan, but can I put in my vote for Joe? Ranger is a good fantasy, but not marriage material I don't think......

As for leaving the books at home, some people take great joy in getting drunk and partying, for me heaven is sitting on my balcony, reading a great book, with the sound of the waves as a backdrop.......To each their own......

I'm not Kallan, but can I put in my vote for Joe? Ranger is a good fantasy, but not marriage material I don't think.....

Yes I agree with you. I like Joe for Stephanie the best.

As for leaving the books at home, some people take great joy in getting drunk and partying, for me heaven is sitting on my balcony, reading a great book, with the sound of the waves as a backdrop.......To each their own......

Again I agree with you. Reading while on a cruise is something I look very forward to.

I love to read. In fact so much I work one day a month at our public library just so I can have first crack at the new books!. I agree Janet Evanovich is great. Lot of fun! My all time favorite author is Anne Tyler. She has written some wonderful books-my favorite of all time Breathing Lessons for which she won a very prestigious prize (Pulitzer maybe?) No one has mentioned her but she is so great. Another good author and so far all her books are great is Elizabeth Berg. I also like Kristen Hannah. So many books and so little time that is why we need to take cruises.....

So, who do you want Stephanie to be with, Joe or Ranger?

Definitely Joe. His family is such a good match for Stephanie's. I would just love to see Grandma in a mud-wrestling set-to with Grandma Bella.... :D Ranger is a great guy but he's not ready to come into the real world yet with all the social responsibilities which that entails. I'd also love to see Lula have a few honest-to-goodness dates with a couple of Ranger's men, starting with Tank. :eek:

I like the author Dick Francis. He write a murder mystery that usually involves horse racing.

I also like a series that has murder mystery in the Washington DC. area, I can't remember the author. A few of the books are "Murder at the White House', "Murder at the Smithsonian", "Murder at the Supreme Court", etc. I think that the author is a relative of Truman or Eisenhower.

Heya all,

Just ran across this thread.. don't know if these have been mentioned yet.. most of what I read tends to be science fiction/fantasy/historical fiction.. but here's what I reccommend

The Forest House, Mists of Avalon, Lady of Avalon, Priestess of Avalon, Ancestors of Avalon, The Renunciates Trilogy, ClingFire Trilogy by Marion Zimmer Bradley (Priestess, Ancestors co-written by Diana Paxson after Bradley's death)

The Anita Blake Novels by Laurell K. Hamilton (an almost alternative history .. set in modern day america , st. louis primarily, where vampires are U.S. citizens and lycanthropy is a virus)

Kushiel's Trilogy- Written by Jacqueline Carey (Very good romance/political intrigue/historical fiction)

and I love almost anything written by Mercedes Lackey..

Would be interested to hear about somethings perhaps set in Mexico.. or New orleans.. specially around Halloween/Samhain.

Hi, Everyone,

I'm hoping for some great suggestions of old or new books for my upcoming May cruise. I'm at a loss here. Please help!

I'm looking for the best of the best romantic comedies, women's fiction, or general fiction ... books that are light and uplifting to read on the ship while possibly enjoying a frozen concoction.

Thanks,

Lynn