Report on Legend sailing May 28th from Monte Carlo

shefinch

Thought you might all like a report on the above.We had very mixed weather, only three days out of eight were fine. Could not put in at the first port (Cassis) due to rough seas so finally anchored off La Ciotat (next town to Cassis).

More important than the weather though are the various changes contemplated by Seabourn. In three weeks time the two Assistant Cruise Directors , Bonnie and Preston, go. They are being replaced by a DJ. For the foreseeable future on the Legend there will be just the Cruise Director plus DJ. This is to cater to a younger crowd that SB is trying to attract but was not well received by the regulars on board.

The other aspect of the cruise that was disquieting was that SB had sold off approximately one third of the suites to one European TA. This gave the impression of being on a charter where the main language was not English. The result of this was that the non-English speaking guests appeared to take the ship over in every sense. Also it meant cancellation of numerous tours which affected the Americans on board, some of whom had come on the cruise specifically to see various parts of Europe which of course they were then unable to do.

The staff as usual were excellent. Lucca, Kevin, Ross and co. made sure that everyone without exception was looked after to the usual high standard.

The menu in the main restaurant is beginning to look a bit tired. Maybe Charlie Palmer should retire? The best food on the ship, in our opinion, is the Tastings @ 2 menu and the Verandah was booked out practically all the time.

Shelagh and Larry

Shelagh and Larry,

Thank you for your report! I must admit I am not too happy about the changes in the entertainment department. I hope this does not apply to the Spirit or the Pride as well. You did not mention the Club duo specifically. Are they still part of the entertainment program or are they gone too? Does the DJ work in The Club, King Olav Lounge or both?

Glad the Legendary wait staff was up to the usual high standard! Hope to meet you both this November for the Legend crossing!

The ACDs do a lot more than "entertain"--they have administrative duties too. Is the DJ going to run Trivia, put together hosted tables, and host various onboard functions? All in all, really bizarre & I, too, hope this is for the Legend only. As for Charlie Palmer, apparently he is being brought to the new ship, too.

Someone is playing with fire--to the best of my knowledge Seabourn has been sailing full for quite some time--what the heck are they trying to fix if it ain't broke! I don't think Seabourn can attract a younger crowd without major changes, and a younger crowd can be fickle. Someone at headquarters had better take a hard look at this! With a new ship coming on line, they had better not be playing games with there loyal group. With a DJ as a major part of the entertainment, we are long gone!!! Don

Matt,

This is distrubing news! I haven't heard a thing about these changes.

As an above poster mentioned, "Assn. Cruise Director's have many other duties other than entertaining." One important duty is the responsibility of being the editor of our Daily Herald.

I can not believe a D.J. will be very popular with ANY age group~~

not the "Seabourn way or style!"

There are definite changes coming. I do not know that the DJ is going to be a standard item in the long term, but in the short term I believe it is the way things are going.

As many posters know, one of Seabourn's weaknesses is the entertainment and, while some are very talented, some are reported to be a bit challenged in that department (not my comment!). Also some have said that the entertainment has become a bit stale.

So I think some restructuring/staffing is happening and then...we shall see.

I can't tell you want it is all is or what it will be (or not be). As I will not be sailing until September, it may well be different by the time I get onboard.

If I find out more I will let you know.

I wonder if rhis change might be related to a lack of qualified entertainers to fill the Asst CD spots at this time? I can see a DJ in the Club, but certainly not providing entertainment after dinner in the Lounge. Time will tell.

This news is almost as distressing as learning Paris Hilton is out of jail and on home arrest. <G>

I don't think the concept is to turn the triplets into disco-balled throbbing nightclubs, but providing some sort of dance/club atmosphere would be seen as a positive for many "younger" (in heart or body or mind) guests.

Paul,

The Club Duo will still be there we are led to believe. Everest are on board at the moment and will be for a while. No idea where the DJ will be working. Apparently an enlarged orchestra is going to be participating more. We, too, wondered how the CD will manage to do everything - especially keeping the Trivia teams in order on the crossing.Looking forward to meeting you in November as well.

La Paloma - Don

Agree with your points completely.

Jane,

The standard of entertainment on this cruise was very high with Eric, Bonnie and Preston, even though there were no guest entertainers or lecturers.

One other point we forgot was that there was just one formal on an 8 day cruise. We even saw somebody in the dining room in shirt sleeves and no tie on formal night - the dress code seems to be breaking down.

Shelagh and Larry

Shelagh and Larry

Thanks for the report I agree with you about the Charlie Palmer menu's in the restaurant, it always seems a shame to me that they have talented chef's on board who are not able to have a greater input into the menu's. It would be ideal if they could have a daily special from perhaps the area the ship is visiting, but i suppose the logistics of this would not make it possible!

I will be sailing on the Legend on 23rd June do you know what crew will be on board then?

deb

Shelagh,

"shirtsleeves and no tie" in the dining room on formal night (or any other evening for that mater) is totally unacceptable! Who was your Maitre'D? I, too, would have been lifting my eyebrows!

Let's hope our dress code stays in tact and does not slip!!

I am so sorry your sailing was not 100% Seabourn~~~I would have been disappointed too.

This is very disturbing news. Hiring a DJ to replace the 2 ACD's??? Come on! Last summer the duo in the Club acted as DJ's. They have a pre-programmed machine that basically plays the selected songs by itself. Anyone could operate it. So, when the tired, worn out CD isn't entertaining in the King Olaf, she or he is replaced by a DJ??? Hmmm... I hope the fares are going down as well. Lucca "allowed" the short sleeves and no tie on formal night????

Host Dan :(

One formal night--some one is nuts--bring a tux for one night--dumb--on our last cruise-- Mexican Riviera--dress code was handled well--10 days--three formal nights--all the guys in tux--was fine! The entertainment was good--CD and two assistants, and all three did a super job mixing with the guests. They all worked the trivia, and did a great job--had a big crowd playing. I couldn't even bribe anyone for answers. Could the problems be a result of the TA from Europe chartering so many suites?? They might have asked for something special. Doesn't sound like Seabourn, but something must have been up, or we have an idiot making bad decisions! Don

I wonder if rhis change might be related to a lack of qualified entertainers to fill the Asst CD spots at this time? I can see a DJ in the Club, but certainly not providing entertainment after dinner in the Lounge. Time will tell.

This news is almost as distressing as learning Paris Hilton is out of jail and on home arrest. <G>

Jane...you crack me up..with the distressing news..we need the levity! Lola

So are these changes ONLY on Legend??? If so, why all of a sudden is it the Red Headed Stepchild??? (sorry to anyone with red hair, but you know what I mean)..

Host Dan

That's a bit sad when a gentleman can't wear even a sports coat on the single formal night. I guess no one told him about "2" or the Sky Grill. Hopefully, he only did it because his luggage never arrived.

Maybe Seabourn thinks on the more port-intensive Med cruises they can skimp by with fewer onboard social leaders. Do they even have trivia when the ship is "at sea?" I would agree with the previous posters that a DJ won't be popular with the regulars, however I think a bigger orchestra would be great!

johnny

So are these changes ONLY on Legend??? If so, why all of a sudden is it the Red Headed Stepchild??? (sorry to anyone with red hair, but you know what I mean)

Perhaps it's "just" the Legend, and it's "just" for the summer months...

However much-deserved vacation time might be valued by the ACD's, I find it hard to believe that any would return after 3-4 months' being "replaced", instead of finding (more) gainful employment elsewhere.....:eek:

Just wondering, wondering....

Paul

who also thanks JaneBP(!), and shares her Hilton concerns ;)

Having just spent 32 days on the Pride I can say that Seabourn is starting to become part of an evolutionary trend, which is to lighten up the dress code. On formal nights the dress code in 2 was informal. On informal nights in 2 it was casual. This meant that in the club before dinner and after there was a mixture of dress codes.

If you read the Crystal board there has lately been a huge discussion of the same topic with long time cruisers incensed that people aren't all donning their formal wear, or that passengers will now be allowed to change into more casual clothing after dinner.

It seems that all the luxury lines are hoping to attract a younger demographic by not requiring stringent dress codes. But a DJ????????? Are we going to have "Rock The Boat" every night?????

Hi Shelagh!

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your Legend cruise as much as usually. First of all the weather that wasn't nice and the food that could have been more exciting. I agree with you that the Charlie Palmer menu's need some variety (especially for some of us who cruise a lot, the Spoiled ones?)! And I also agree that the chefs on board could surprise us with their own recipes more often.

The DJ option doesn't make me happy as well. But good that on your cruise everything was still OK.

The only thing I (being European i.c. Dutch) find difficult to understand in your post, that you seemed to have a problem with people speaking a language other than English? How should we Europeans, not being English, feel if we couldn't speak English on a cruise ship where 95% of the people do speak English? Maybe it is a good thing that it was the other way around for a change. I am fortunate enough to be able to speak English and if I for instance speak with Germans and there are English speaking people with us, we would continue the conversation in English. But it would go too far to speak English to my Dutch or German friends, when nobody else listens! You even speak of "the non-English speaking guests taking over the ship in every sense". Sorry, the Legend was in Europe and the Europeans spoke their own language. There is this saying "Do in Rome as Rome does (or the Romans do)". I don't expect you to speak any of our languages, but please can we?

I'm sorry that some tours were cancelled, but are you sure this was only because of the Europeans? They do like culture as well.

Please understand this is nothing personal and I do hope nobody will be offended, but I just want to defend us Europeans.

People who are new to this board could think that Seabourn is just for English speaking persons.

I wish you all a nice weekend!

Ik wens jullie allemaal een heel fijn weekend!

Marja

To GreatTimes.

With all respect, imagine you would be on a Dutch or Russian ship and they wouldn't translate a thing for you, how would you feel?

Some Dutch and Belgian people don't speak English or not very well. Does that mean they don't have to be able to enjoy a cruise or a tour?

I know English people always apologise to me (and some Americans as well) for not speaking my or any other language. Sometimes they even say they are lazy. Then I answer them that it is understandable that they don't, because ALMOST everybody speaks or understands English.

But please can we have some respect?

Well said, Marja.

One evening I was at a hosted table where every other person spoke German and they were all friends. Fortunately, I had lived in Germany and can still speak and understand a few words. We all muddled along. Well, I managed to muddle anyway.

However, a sizeable contingent of non-English speaking cruisers can seem daunting to those of us who are not used to such multi-national groups in a small confined space. I assume 'we' all can seem the same way from the European perspective as well. However, it might have been the behavior and not the language of those other guests.

Archived