Yokohama port to train terminal for Tokyo

amusea

Anybody have a rough idea what the taxi fare would be to the Yokohama Cruise terminal if we don't want to mess with the transfer from our Shinkansan arrival at Shin Yokohama ?

Shin Yokohama station ---> Osanbashi Pier ?

or / also

Yokohama station ---> Osanbashi Pier ?

Thanks for any current taxi rates/info

Srpilo

Anybody have a rough idea what the taxi fare would be to the Yokohama Cruise terminal if we don't want to mess with the transfer from our Shinkansan arrival at Shin Yokohama ?

Shin Yokohama station ---> Osanbashi Pier ?

or / also

Yokohama station ---> Osanbashi Pier ?

Thanks for any current taxi rates/info

Srpilo

For either station, roughly 1,500 to 2,000 yen one-way (depending on traffic).

For either station, roughly 1,500 to 2,000 yen one-way (depending on traffic).

Wow around $ 20.00 usd , I"m surprised, that's actually seems pretty reasonable since we've all heard how pricey taxi's are in Toyko.

Great, now we have another option :)

Thanks Bruce

Srpilo

• 1 month later...

We are totally confused and maybe someone can help us.

We will be ending our cruise at Yokohama.

We are going to The Capitol Hotel Tokyu

2-10-3 Nagatacho, Chiyoda-ku

What is the easiest way to get there from the port with 3 bags.

We are totally confused and maybe someone can help us.

We will be ending our cruise at Yokohama.

We are going to The Capitol Hotel Tokyu

2-10-3 Nagatacho, Chiyoda-ku

What is the easiest way to get there from the port with 3 bags.

Try this link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1850200

The easiest way is to hire a limousine. Next easiest is a taxi. Both will be expensive. Rule for trains/subways is don't travel on trains during Rush Hour with luggage. Don't travel on subways with luggage anytime if you can help it. Good Luck!

• 1 month later...

hi Jacksan

I hope you are still there as this thread is quite old now. I am a little confused about getting the train from nihon odori station to shimbuya . When I have looked at the train line website the train from nihon odori only goes to Yokohama. Do we need to change trains .

Hope you can answer my question .

I'm not Jacksan, but I frequently take the very same Minato Mirai train from Nihon Odori Station to Shibuya Station.

I earlier posted that it costs 240 yen each way. That is not correct. It's 260 yen.

Previously the Minato Mirai Line ended at Shibuya, but it has recently been extended past Shibuya.

That is no problem. Just remember to get off in Shibuya.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are not sure of the train fare just buy the cheapest one. Just before you exit at your destinationm there are "fare adjustment" machines. Put your ticket in. If it's the correct amount you'll get it back. If you need to pay more it will tell you how much and give you a new ticket. You exit with that.

If you try to go through the gate with not enough on it, it will not open.

I found that easier than trying to guess how much it was.

Question- we get off our ship in the morning and our flight isn't until late at night. Is there somewhere in Shibuya, Shinjuku etc where we could leave our bags so we can look around and go to the airport later?

Edited by sayaguru

We are visiting Japan for 6 days prior to cruising. We are spending 3 nights in Tokyo and 3 nights in Kyoto. On the last day, we need to get from Kyoto to Yokohama cruise pier. We will have access to bullet trains. Any idea how we can do this on our own? We're both able bodies, no problem with stairs with luggage, or dragging it much. Thanks.

Edited by FeelingCruisy

Another couple joining us on the cruise will be arriving the day before the cruise. Since it's only a day, I think it's best to just stay at a hotel near the cruise port. So they can do the following : Narita --train to-- Tokyo Station --train to-- Yokohama Station --taxi to-- Hotel in Yokohama.

Is the transfer at Tokyo station easy to do in this case? They're not young puppies but still OK at 60s. Please advise. Thanks.

Edited by FeelingCruisy

No need to change trains in Tokyo: the Narita Express goes to Yokohama. Usually the train splits and one half goes to Tokyo/Shinjuku and the other to Yokohama but you don't need to worry about that complexity because you have to have a seat reservation and that will put you in the right part of the train.

Just go the the JR ticket office at Narita Airport and buy the one way ("katamichi" in Japanese) N'EX+Suica deal: http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/suica_nex.html to Yokohama. This costs less than just buying the ticket and includes a Suica card preloaded with 1,500Y that you can use on any of the local trains and subways around Yokohama and Tokyo. 1,500 Y will get to Tokyo and back a couple of times.

If you have a smartphone, download the Metro app and the data for Tokyo: http://nanika.net/ . This gives you routing and intermediate stops for any subway journey and works offline (once you've downloaded the data for the city you are interested in).

This page shows how to decode the car and seat number http://english.jr-central.co.jp/tickets/read/

Edited by someotherguy
Added link for reading the ticket

No need to change trains in Tokyo: the Narita Express goes to Yokohama. Usually the train splits and one half goes to Tokyo/Shinjuku and the other to Yokohama but you don't need to worry about that complexity because you have to have a seat reservation and that will put you in the right part of the train.

Just go the the JR ticket office at Narita Airport and buy the one way ("katamichi" in Japanese) N'EX+Suica deal: http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/nex/suica_nex.html to Yokohama. This costs less than just buying the ticket and includes a Suica card preloaded with 1,500Y that you can use on any of the local trains and subways around Yokohama and Tokyo. 1,500 Y will get to Tokyo and back a couple of times.

If you have a smartphone, download the Metro app and the data for Tokyo: http://nanika.net/ . This gives you routing and intermediate stops for any subway journey and works offline (once you've downloaded the data for the city you are interested in).

This page shows how to decode the car and seat number http://english.jr-central.co.jp/tickets/read/

Thanks for the reply. Just want to clarify the NEX and Suica. If they were to just buy a 1 way ticket from NRT to Yokohama station, they will be paying 4180 Yen per ticket. But because of this combo promotion, they pay only 3500 Yen and will get the ticket for NRT to Yokohama station AND the Suica card loaded with 2000 Yen? I'm assuming it's like Hong Kong, where if you return the card with 500 Yen left, you'll get the full amount, or if you use 1999 Yen on the card, you'll end up with 1 Yen refund as an example?

Lastly, I would guess from Yokohama station to the hotels nearby in Yokohama would cost about 2000 - 3000 Yen or so?

Edited by FeelingCruisy

Thanks for the reply. Just want to clarify the NEX and Suica. If they were to just buy a 1 way ticket from NRT to Yokohama station, they will be paying 4180 Yen per ticket. But because of this combo promotion, they pay only 3500 Yen and will get the ticket for NRT to Yokohama station AND the Suica card loaded with 2000 Yen? I'm assuming it's like Hong Kong, where if you return the card with 500 Yen left, you'll get the full amount, or if you use 1999 Yen on the card, you'll end up with 1 Yen refund as an example?

Lastly, I would guess from Yokohama station to the hotels nearby in Yokohama would cost about 2000 - 3000 Yen or so?

That's right--it's a very good deal. The Suica card is actually preloaded with 1,500Y -- there's a 500Y deposit. The details are explained pretty well if you drill down using the links at the bottom of the jr-east link that I posted. The Suica refund details are complicated as there's a 210Y charge unless you've run it down below that. Again the details are explained in the links.

Taxis are not particularly expensive in Japan. There's a fairly steep flagfall of about 700Y but that takes you quite a way. I took a couple of taxis in Yokohama a few weeks ago and it was 1340Y for one and 1070Y for the other, each going a couple of miles (Negishi eki to Sankei-en, and then back to Yamate eki if you want to check the distance on Google maps).

The Narita Express goes to Yokohama eki, which is in the center of things. If you are taking the shinkansen from Kyoto, you'll arrive at Shin Yokohama eki, which is about 4 miles out. http://www.hyperdia.com/en/ is the search engine for trains in Japan (but you'll need the Metro app I mentioned earlier for subways).

Thanks for the fantastic advise. I really appreciate it. A few more follow up questions if you don't mind.

For the Narita Express going into Yokohama Eki, would Yokohama Eki be the last stop where the train terminates?

For us, who are coming in from Kyoto in the morning on the bullet train (Shinkansen) I don't suppose Shin Yokohama eki would be the last station?

Are there local trains here that can connect us closer to port, or if possible right to the Nihon Odori station? Otherwise, would you think 4000 Yen would cover the cost from Shin Yokohama Eki to the cruise port?

As mentioned earlier, we flying into NRT airport and spending 3 nights in Tokyo (with 1 day trip to Mt. Fuji) and then followed by 3 days in Kyoto and finally cruising out of Yokohama port. We will be getting the bullet train pass. Does this pass covers transportation to Tokyo station or do you think we will need another 1-way Suica-NEX combo?

Finally, I think 3 nights in Kyoto can be a bit much. While enroute to Kyoto on the shinkansen from Tokyo, are there any stops in between that you would recommend stopping for day or even overnight? (We can't cut from the 3 nights in Tokyo since we're coming into NRT in the evening, and with the 1 day trip to Mt.Fuji, it basically leave us a little over a full day in Tokyo plus we already booked 3 nights in Tokyo)

That's right--it's a very good deal. The Suica card is actually preloaded with 1,500Y -- there's a 500Y deposit. The details are explained pretty well if you drill down using the links at the bottom of the jr-east link that I posted. The Suica refund details are complicated as there's a 210Y charge unless you've run it down below that. Again the details are explained in the links.

Taxis are not particularly expensive in Japan. There's a fairly steep flagfall of about 700Y but that takes you quite a way. I took a couple of taxis in Yokohama a few weeks ago and it was 1340Y for one and 1070Y for the other, each going a couple of miles (Negishi eki to Sankei-en, and then back to Yamate eki if you want to check the distance on Google maps).

The Narita Express goes to Yokohama eki, which is in the center of things. If you are taking the shinkansen from Kyoto, you'll arrive at Shin Yokohama eki, which is about 4 miles out. http://www.hyperdia.com/en/ is the search engine for trains in Japan (but you'll need the Metro app I mentioned earlier for subways).

Well, you have the tools to answer these questions yourself, which will serve you better in the long run. The JR-East web page I linked earlier has a map that shows that the Yokohama-bound N'EX trains go to Ofuna: http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/suica-nex/index.html

Alternatively, if you put Narita Airport to Yokohama into the Hyperdia search engine it will give you several alternatives involving the Narita Express, and if you pick one and click on the "Train Timetable" link it will display all the stops and you'll see that after Yokohama the train goes to Totsuka and then Ofuna.

Similarly, for Kyoto to Shin-Yokohama (that's how Hyperdia wants you to spell it) you'll see that the train continues from Shin Yokohama to Shinagawa and Tokyo. You'll also see that most of the trains are "Nozomi" shinkansen and a note that says "The search results below may contain some routes not suitable for Japan Rail Pass." That's because you cannot take these (the fastest) with a JR pass. If you unselect the Nozomi button at the bottom, you'll get the slower trains that you can take. What passes allow what trains is explained here: http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357.html . You can use a JR pass on JR trains and subways, but not (usually) on other lines. A Suica card works on all the lines around Tokyo (it's not a pass, just a way of paying).

There are instructions earlier in this thread about connecting from Shin Yokohama to Nihon Odori. Alternatively, either Hyperdia or the Metro app will give you the connections. I wouldn't do this with more luggage than a rollaboard. Incidentally, I sent my rollaboard from Yokohama to Nikko recently by Takkyubin and it only cost 1,000Y.

Three days isn't a lot for Kyoto and there's also plenty to see just a few miles outside (Uji, Nara, the sights around Lake Biwa). Take a look at the guides here http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/location/rtg/ . I posted some suggestions for Kyoto a while ago and I think they are sound: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=34198929#post34198929

Fuji-san is about a third of the way from Tokyo to Kyoto so it could make sense to continue to Kyoto rather than retirn to Tokyo. Alternatively, one of the popular routes for seeing the mountain (from a distance, which is the best way to see it) is from the Hakone circuit, which starts from Odawara, and that is not far from Yokohama. See http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e5210.html and http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2172.html

As for taxi fares from Shin Yokohama to the cruise port, it would be best to hear from someone who has done it, but extrapolating from my recent trips, I'd say 3 to 4,000Y should cover it.

• 5 months later...

Hi,

We are embarking on a cruise on the Diamond Princess on the 2nd June. We'll be spending a couple of nights at the Shinjuku Washington Hotel in Tokyo, prior to the cruise and wondered if anyone could help with some advice on how to get to the cruise port from Shinjuku? What train do we catch? Please help!!

I have booked the Oct 26,2014 cruise with Celebrity from Yohohama to Hong Kong. I am planning to arrive Tokyo a couple days ahead so that I could explore

the famous city. I still have not booked any flight yet. Which airport should I land at Tokyo? Should I stay the 2 nights in Tokyo ir Yohohama?

Thank you very much

Hi,

We are embarking on a cruise on the Diamond Princess on the 2nd June. We'll be spending a couple of nights at the Shinjuku Washington Hotel in Tokyo, prior to the cruise and wondered if anyone could help with some advice on how to get to the cruise port from Shinjuku? What train do we catch? Please help!!

The Washington Hotel is quite close to Shinjuku station - the largest train station in Japan.

There are dozens of trains every day from Shinjuku Station to Yokohama Station.

Perhaps the easiest one for you would be Narita Express. During the day it runs about every 30 minutes or so.

The trip from Shinjuku to Yokohama is less than one hour.

Narita Express trains have luggage storage at the end of each car.

1. Walk or take a taxi from your hotel to Shinjuku Eki.

2. Take Narita Express to Yokohama Eki.

3. Take a taxi to Osanbashi Cruise Terminal in Yokohama.

• 2 weeks later...

We are taking the Diamond Princess in October. I hope you come back and let us know how your trip went.

We're staying at the Peninsula in Tokyo for a few days pre-cruise. I understand that Tokyo Station is the closest station? We want to take a train to Yokohama.

When we return we need to take a train to Kyoto where we will stay a few days and then we need to take a train from Kyoto to Narita where we plan to stay the night before our flight.

Can you help us with the train routes we must take? Thank you

We are taking the Diamond Princess in October. I hope you come back and let us know how your trip went.

We're staying at the Peninsula in Tokyo for a few days pre-cruise. I understand that Tokyo Station is the closest station? We want to take a train to Yokohama.

When we return we need to take a train to Kyoto where we will stay a few days and then we need to take a train from Kyoto to Narita where we plan to stay the night before our flight.

Can you help us with the train routes we must take? Thank you

The Peninsula Hotel Tokyo is in Yurakucho District. Yurakucho Eki (Station) is directly across the street from the Hotel. This station has local trains and subways. But one stop away on the JR is Tokyo Eki, where you can catch a train to anywhere in Japan.

A few stops in the other direction on the JR is Shibuya, where you can catch the Minato-Mirai line to Nihin Odori Station in Yokohama, just a few blocks from the cruise terminal.

Coming back from Kyoto. You can take the JR to any number of stations to transfer to Narita Express; Yokohama, Shinagawa, Shinjuku, Tokyo, Shibuya.

You could also stay on the JR until Ueno Station, and take the Skyliner from there to Narita.