Princess secrets...

lysolqn

There was an interesting long-running thread over on the Celebrity boards regarding unpublicized and often little-known "secrets" about cruising Celebrity - like shrimp cocktail being available every night even though not on the menu, free pastries available all day at the Cova Cafe, particularly desireable/undesireable cabins on the different class ships, unusual cabin amenities, quiet spots, etc. There were literally hundreds of responses that proved enlightening for both new and loyal Celebrity passengers alike.

If a similar thread hasn't popped up in this forum yet, thought it might be interesting to see what Princess secrets you have to share.

There was an interesting long-running thread over on the Celebrity boards regarding unpublicized and often little-known "secrets" about cruising Celebrity - like shrimp cocktail being available every night even though not on the menu, free pastries available all day at the Cova Cafe, particularly desireable/undesireable cabins on the different class ships, unusual cabin amenities, quiet spots, etc. There were literally hundreds of responses that proved enlightening for both new and loyal Celebrity passengers alike.

If a similar thread hasn't popped up in this forum yet, thought it might be interesting to see what Princess secrets you have to share.

I believe that Princess also will serve the shrimp coctail each night also. They did on the Dawn and Grand when we sailed.

If you go to the Crown library look for the 8th row of books from the doors, then grab the 11th book from the right side and pull down, a secret passage will open, thats where the real VIP lounge is :D

I wonder if its just hearsay?

You can order shrimp cocktail any night, and in fact, you can also sometimes get things that are not officially on the menu--like fruit plates, pasta with marinara, etc.

Ice cream is free in the dining rooms and in horizon court from approx 3:30-4:30 (varies by ship) in vanilla and chocolate with toppings. If you go to their ice cream parlor you will pay for it.

Sun class---you can order premium tequila (petron) in your drink at poolside bars for no extra charge.

You can order pastas from the main menu in appetizer size to try them (I highly recommend this one).

Read the left side of the dinner menu which will remind you what other items you can get...you will see shrimp cocktail, steak, salmon, chicken breast

Yes, you can order a side order of pasta with any entree or order a double entree - like steak and shimp...you can even ask for different vegies with your entree or a plate of raw vegies for an appetizer.

The anytime dining "alternative" restaurants have specialty dishes that are not on the menu - just ask your server what it is.

Try to find the hidden 9 hole golf!!:p

You can get free ice cream in the Horizon Court every day from I think 3:30 to 4:30
The buffet (not all buffets on Princess are called "Horizon Court") has make-your-own sundaes in the afternoon. You can also get free ice cream in the dining room during lunch and dinner hours. Lots of free ice cream throughout the day.

On the Sun-class ships, the aft section on Aloha deck is an open, public area with lots of loungers. A great place to hang out either in the sun or shade.

On the Regal Princess, all of the aft decks are open and public with chairs and loungers. My favorite spot is on Deck 10 where you can find a lounger pretty much any time of the day.

You really do not need to stand in line at the front of the buffet to see the first item.

The buffet is organized into islands. If you don't want something in the first island, just "cruise" on over to the island that you want.

In the dining rooms you can order mutiples on the food. Let's say I want 2 shrimp cocktails or 3 different deserts. Or, a side of french fries that is not even on the menu. Go for it.

I actually asked for a childs menu because of a reaction I was having with meds. I knew it would be easy on my stomach. Our waiter didn't even bat an eye. He seemed more concerned for my health than what I was eating.

eileen

I forgot to add that they will bring you steamed veggies and rice too, if you want a light dinner (or just the veggies for a healthy side dish). I love the asparagus.

If you forget like DH did once or just want a new one---they sell ties in the gift shop cheap on formal nights (was $10 last spring).

If there are two entrees that you're having a hard time picking between. Order them both! The waiter won't bat an eye. The only downside of this is that you may get two complete plates rather than both on one. But you can combine them and have the staff take one plate away. However, for your own health, you may not want to do this too often. But, you can always share with your tablemates.

There is a flip side to double entree ordering. I just got off the Queen Mary2 and I understand many were doing this.... It had a absolutley horrible effect on the kitchen and everything was backed up and service was horrible. The effect was that we were waiting up to 20 minutes between each course. It really ruined the normal wonderful dining experience.

One secret that Princess doesn't tell their passengers is that they now stop at Crown Bay in St Thomas and not the pier in Charlotte Amalie as they previously did. Nothing much open at the new port and it will cost you $8 round trip to shop at Havensight where you once could get off the ship and walk to for free. The only way we knew about the new pier was from reading it here on Cruise Critic. Princess isn't telling anyone.

The most recent post on the Princess sticky by-members-for-members thread is from 2005. Are they all still correct? It would be good to get new info, if there have been changes, from this thread. CruiseKidz, do you know if all/most of that thread is still relevant and helpful? I have avoided reading it since the most recent post was from 2 yrs ago.

Archived