Princess secrets...

lysolqn

Good to see a couple of our fellow PIPS on this thread - Princess Island Panama Sailers (Sept.). I'll add a couple things we discovered. Always try to get one of the eggcrate mattress covers right away - if you luck out and get a good mattress you can have it taken off -but it's usually a big improvement. However, THEY RUN OUT OF THEM SO FIND YOUR CABIN STEWARD RIGHT AWAY AND ASK FOR ONE - oh yes, and robes too. Don't bother to bring your own (someone already mentioned this).

I can't guarantee this will always work but it has for us: we carried two 18-can packs of beer and 6 bottles of good wine onboard at a stop in FLL. Just got off the ship, grabbed a cab for a 5 minute ride to an upscale wine store. People were literally waiting on the gangway to see if we got through security and when we did they rushed off and did the same.

If you like wine at dinner and have your own in your room, take a glass of wine with you to your table (nice to keep those large water glasses in your room for this purpose. Just about equals the two glasses of wine you otherwise would have ordered at the exorbitant ship prices.) Or make your pre-dinner cocktail in your room and take it to a lounge or the dining room.

If you like real brewed coffee, the coffee card at $24 is a must. Otherwise you get the syrup. Take your card to the coffee bar before breakfast or dinner and ask for two coffees to go (DH likes this). You get them in Starbucks type cups. The $24 is for their specialty coffees, which I enjoyed also. Someone suggested travel mugs - this is a great idea but I don't know if the coffee bars will fill them. Anyone know?

The petit fours variety platter is a GREAT idea if your ship offers them (the Grand didn't in January). One person orders, and everyone enjoys.

I too am dieting this trip and I LOVE the idea of ordering entrees as appetizers. Most of us simply weren't raised to leave mounds of good food on our plates and so tend to eat more than we really want.

Whew sorry - long post. Please keep your ideas coming!

Somebody may already have mentioned this, but you can order anything off the children's menu in the dining room on Island Princess. In fact, our waiter suggested it! DH ordered a banana split on several occasions.

No banana splits for yours truly though. I'm pre-diabetic and want others in the same boat to know there are plenty of great choices on the menu (left side!) for those of us who have to "watch it". Should I dare bringing up that I lost 4 lbs despite never missing a meal?!

Thank you to those mentioned the idea of ordering appetizers for dinner. I too was raised to clean my plate. Ordering appetizers would definitely help with "portion control".

:rolleyes: I wonder if they let you on with 6 good bottles of wine, can you take 12 bad bottles instead?:rolleyes:

This was no doubt an attempt at humor - but if there are really SERIOUS wine drinkers reading this post - we know of many people who bring their wine on board by the case - or even that box stuff :D

This was no doubt an attempt at humor - but if there are really SERIOUS wine drinkers reading this post - we know of many people who bring their wine on board by the case - or even that box stuff :D

Don't knock the "box" stuff - what do you think Princess serves at the welcome anoard and CC parties??

Ron

When you have a MiniSuite or better, don't forget to ask your steward to bring your welcome aboard beverage if it happens to slip his/her mind. On at least half of our Princess cruises in those circumstances, the steward has remembered to say "Welcome back!", but has forgotten the glasses of champagne.

Someone suggested travel mugs - this is a great idea but I don't know if the coffee bars will fill them. Anyone know?

We were just on the Caribbean Princess. My husband packed small thermos.He used the coffee card to get a latte, then the barista/bartender told him he could get free refills (regular coffee) there. So after he finshed his latte, they filled up his thermos. The coffee there is MUCH better then the buffet coffee which tasted like watered-down Sanka

As I said in my review of June 3-10 CB, DH brought 2 LARGE bottles of Grand Marnier @ $19 a piece, Parrot Bay Rum for 7.99, and Absinthe (don't ask)

in St. Thomas and walked right on board. They asked him what was in the box and he said "Bottles", they repeated "Bottles?" and let him go on his merry way.

Prices in St. Thomas way better then ship.

Also, if you sign up for the wine tasting, they gave us all free dessert wine stemware. Very nice selection for tasting and only $19 for the two of us.

Also, go to the chef cooking demonstration and a galley tour. It was really fun. The chef was delightful and made 4 dishes in 40 minutes.

He also signs the Princess Cuisine Cookbook.

I love reading these too! I know all about Carnival backwards, forwards, inside and out, but I am a newbie to Princess (except for Island a few years ago) I am REALLY EXCITED about our Oct. cruise on the Crown. Keep the tips coming and thanks for sharing the wealth! :p

In the International Cafe in the afternoon, they have different cheeses cubed up -- you can get a plate with a breadstick (for free). Gives you a chance to try something different.

Also, the gelato (3 scoops for $1.50) is worth every penny. Very good!

If you want popcorn at MUTS in the evening, you'll have to find where it is and get it yourself. It is usually on the same deck as the pool. Be sure to add salt as they don't salt it much.

We are taking our first cruise in less than 2 weeks on the Dawn. Does anyone have any info on "secret" quiet spots we can enjoy without many other people around??:)

There is a small pool all the way at the back of the ship. You can see the gym from it. But there is a bar nearby, two hot tubs, and best of all...its very very quiet. Enjoy :)

My DW and I leave for our first cruise this Sunday (6/17). We are going North on the Coral in Alaska :D . Do any of these tips about the hidden decks apply to the Coral? If so where are they? Thanks :) !

If you like wine at dinner and have your own in your room, take a glass of wine with you to your table (nice to keep those large water glasses in your room for this purpose. Just about equals the two glasses of wine you otherwise would have ordered at the exorbitant ship prices.) Or make your pre-dinner cocktail in your room and take it to a lounge or the dining room.

Isn't this the reason that cruise lines have tightened the rules regarding bringing liquor on board? I think it's quite tacky to bring drinks from your cabin to the public areas-especially the dining room and lounges.

Isn't this the reason that cruise lines have tightened the rules regarding bringing liquor on board? I think it's quite tacky to bring drinks from your cabin to the public areas-especially the dining room and lounges.

Donna, I agree. Altho we bring wine aboard, we consume same on our balcony before going to dinner and perhaps just before bed time.

Ordering a glass of wine with dinner is not expensive. Cheaper than restaurants in our area.

ME 2;)

ME 3

If going through the Panama Canal, be sure to get your own copy of "The Path Between the Seas" by David McCulloch before you get on the ship. The ship's library does carry a copy or two, but never enough to satisfy everybody who wants to read it.

As I said in my review of June 3-10 CB, DH brought 2 LARGE bottles of Grand Marnier @ $19 a piece, Parrot Bay Rum for 7.99, and Absinthe (don't ask)

in St. Thomas and walked right on board. They asked him what was in the box and he said "Bottles", they repeated "Bottles?" and let him go on his merry way.

Prices in St. Thomas way better then ship.

Also, if you sign up for the wine tasting, they gave us all free dessert wine stemware. Very nice selection for tasting and only $19 for the two of us.

Also, go to the chef cooking demonstration and a galley tour. It was really fun. The chef was delightful and made 4 dishes in 40 minutes.

He also signs the Princess Cuisine Cookbook.

What a great deal:cool: Would you pls let me know which store in St.Thomas sells at those prices, we'll be there in Sept 2007.

Many thanks

If you want popcorn at MUTS in the evening, you'll have to find where it is and get it yourself. It is usually on the same deck as the pool. Be sure to add salt as they don't salt it much.

When we were on the Caribbean Princess, they brought it to me every night along with a soda when I flashed the soda card. That along with a blanket and the sound of the ocean....what could be better!

Oh...someone asked about international cafe on every ship????? I think its only on the new Crown Princess, but I could be wrong.

family.jpg

These people don't think anything of it

Also, a previous poster mentioned getting berries in the dining room-- on the Golden a couple years back, we wrote this in for room service breakfast and got it. (REALLY GOOD berries too.) Other posters have mentioned that you can often get "special" room service breakfasts (eggs and such that aren't on the standard breakfast menu), but I feel bad enough for the poor waiter doing hundreds of AM deliveries!

Also, a previous poster mentioned getting berries in the dining room-- on the Golden a couple years back, we wrote this in for room service breakfast and got it. (REALLY GOOD berries too.) Other posters have mentioned that you can often get "special" room service breakfasts (eggs and such that aren't on the standard breakfast menu), but I feel bad enough for the poor waiter doing hundreds of AM deliveries!

Are you the Emma from Jane Austen???

Archived