Princess secrets...

lysolqn

As our next cruise will be our second with Princess we have never been to a circle members cocktail party. Is it worth going? Do you get any souveniers or just a complimentary drink?

The drink and hordouvers (spelling).

has this changed? they brought the popcorn to us in Jan. on the Caribbean P. Speaking of MUTS....be careful when choosing a seat, sometimes the cushions are still wet from the daytime swimmers and you don't realize it until you sit down. Two times on the same sailing, had a very wet bottom:p

I was on the Caribbean Princess in January also...Jan. 7th sailing which was my 2nd time on this ship. Staff served us popcorn and lap blankets every night while we watched the football playoffs....what a great way to watch football!!!

It comes as a shock to us in the UK to hear from colonial cousins that Princess won't serve alcohol to miners. This seems a strange and rather arbitrary form of discrimination to me, but there you go.

Yes, we took our 20-yr old with us in January, and the waiter would not pour him a glass of wine. I had to do it myself. But it's ok with me...I'm happy to know the staff won't serve him alcohol, even with a parent's permission.

There was an interesting long-running thread over on the Celebrity boards regarding unpublicized and often little-known "secrets" about cruising Celebrity - like shrimp cocktail being available every night even though not on the menu, free pastries available all day at the Cova Cafe, particularly desireable/undesireable cabins on the different class ships, unusual cabin amenities, quiet spots, etc. There were literally hundreds of responses that proved enlightening for both new and loyal Celebrity passengers alike.

If a similar thread hasn't popped up in this forum yet, thought it might be interesting to see what Princess secrets you have to share.

This is a great thread! good idea....

p.s. if you are registered and have your "cruise preferences" in there (not under the cruise personalizer) under -"my princess" you can request different things.

if you call the cruise line you can also request....

feather pillows/ down pillows/ extra pillows

padding for your bed, if prefered

a lot of different things, and you can ask us and we'll tell you what you can get on there.

-for first time cruiser's-

we have onboard celebrations, they are door decorations and cake with dinner, but they are pretty cute things to do for whomever you are going with.

~Great lil' secrets~

It comes as a shock to us in the UK to hear from colonial cousins that Princess won't serve alcohol to miners. This seems a strange and rather arbitrary form of discrimination to me, but there you go.

I'm surprised security let any miners on board with their pickaxes and helmet lamps: they must be pretty conspicuous. Perhaps it was coal dust on their faces & clothes! But surely no reason to deny these honest workers an alcoholic beverage.

M

I'm surprised security let any miners on board with their pickaxes and helmet lamps: they must be pretty conspicuous. Perhaps it was coal dust on their faces & clothes! But surely no reason to deny these honest workers an alcoholic beverage.

M

That's a very minor point!

It is a fact that the only place to get a fresh brewed coffee is at the international cafe. Buy a coffee card and drink real Jamacian Blue mountain. All other eating areas of the ship use coffee syrup.

Thanks for the info Bob. Now I know why the coffee is so bad. I will certainly be buying a card when I cruise over the New Year. Sheryl :)

If there are two entrees that you're having a hard time picking between. Order them both! The waiter won't bat an eye. The only downside of this is that you may get two complete plates rather than both on one. But you can combine them and have the staff take one plate away. However, for your own health, you may not want to do this too often. But, you can always share with your tablemates.

I do that all the time, YUM, Surf & Turf even if it isn't on the menu!

I guess a good "secret" advice is to tell people to ask - especially where food is concerned. Some Princess ships provide a petits fours platter upon request for the table to share - the Grand only did that a couple nights. I LOVE steak with bearnaise sauce. I would order the steak from the always available side of the menu and ask for the bearnaise sauce, which I think comes from one of the specialty restaurants. There is no harm in asking!

BayArea.. I agree with you about bringing your own wine, champagne and beer for room consumption. Also, I see no problem in bringing a bottle of champagne/wine to your dinner table. What is see as tacky are those that leave their tables and run back and forth from the various bars/public areas to their rooms to refill their drinks. Would you go to a restaurant or club when you dine out at home and continually run back and forth to your car for refills?

I haven't encountered a martini tasting on Princess...but I agree with you...I thought the one on Celebrity was great...still have my cocktail shaker as a souvenir

Can't Princess get its priorities straight? ;)

________

CoolChile

I haven't encountered a martini tasting on Princess...but I agree with you...I thought the one on Celebrity was great...still have my cocktail shaker as a souvenir
I have, both martini and margarita demos. Keep an eye on the Patter, and you'll likely find them.

We are not early "movers" and always order room service breakfast. We just write in bacon, eggs, whatever that we would like on the doorknob menu in your cabin and it arrives. Do not be put off by thinking you only have to order what is printed on the menu order sheet. Nothing like breakfast delivered and enjoying it on your balcony while sitting in your Princess robe. Aaahhhhh....

We are not early "movers" and always order room service breakfast. We just write in bacon, eggs, whatever that we would like on the doorknob menu in your cabin and it arrives. Do not be put off by thinking you only have to order what is printed on the menu order sheet. Nothing like breakfast delivered and enjoying it on your balcony while sitting in your Princess robe. Aaahhhhh....
I wish this were true on all ships. It's very hit-and-miss and less common than it once was. Good for you if you got it to work, and there's no harm in trying even if it doesn't. I haven't had any success with this for a couple of years, and had given up trying. I'll give it a shot next month.

Another thing on those breakfast orders. You can write in a different time than the choices listed, and still get your delivery. The really good food service guys will call your cabin to make sure you are decent if it's really early in the AM.

I didn't know that!!!! I'll have to try it next time.

M

LOL Maybe the miners were minors?

M

Not a big secret to previous Princess passengers, but for all you newbies, Princess has the best ever Fettuccine Alfredo in the world. It's listed on the appetizer menu, but you get ask for an entree sized portion. Delicious!!!!!

I did this on the Coral. The waiter suggested a sliced grilled chicken breast with it. It was superb.

A young friend of mine who worked down a pit had his canary recently replaced with a more exotic caged bird with a popular girl's name.

Ready?

Sure?

OK.

He was a minor miner with Myrna the minah.

:D

Not a big secret to previous Princess passengers, but for all you newbies, Princess has the best ever Fettuccine Alfredo in the world. It's listed on the appetizer menu, but you get ask for an entree sized portion. Delicious!!!!!

...and it comes in the most delicious parmeasan cheese bowl. You can actually order just the cheese bowl.

This "secret" isn't new (and not exclusive to any cruise line), but many folks don't think about it until it's too late. We always pack two travel mugs "with handles." That way you can go to the buffet in the morning, and bring back to the balcony, two mugs of coffee (or whatever) holding them both with one hand. That leaves a hand free for a plate of fruits, muffins, etc. Plus, it doesn't spill and it stays hot a lot longer.

You can take food back to your cabin from the buffet??

You can take food back to your cabin from the buffet??

Sure ... Im an early riser ... I wander, check email, then at decent hour bring rolls & yogurt than to my wife.

Archived