Cruise without flying? I need ideas!

grampini

I am trying to schedule a 50th anniversity cruise for June 2008. The problem is, my bride of going-on a half century suffers from a rare hearing disorder that prevents her from flying. We'd like to celebrate on a luxury cruise ship on June 14th 2008.

I could really use some ideas on how to get from San Francisco Bay area to the embarkation/disembarkation ports without flying or having to drive thousands of miles.

I thought about one-way auto rental which may be OK, but can't find a west coast port with RT luxury line itinerary other than Vancouver-Alaska. (We've done that twice.) Also thought about FL to West Coast via Panama Canal, but can't find June itineraries.

Anybody out there got any ideas? The anniversary is only going to happen once, so I'd like to do it right!

Grampini

YOU COULD TAKE AMTRAK TO VANCOUVER...TAKE LIMO TO TRAIN...GO BUSINESS CLASS...STAY AT RESORT HOTEL THEN

TAKE BACK TO BACK CRUISES ON Regent (Radisson)'s Seven Seas Mariner

Wed Jun 11 Vancouver, Canada 6:00pm

Thu Jun 12 At Sea

Fri Jun 13 Ketchikan, AK 7:00am 3:00pm

Sat Jun 14 Tracy Arm, AK (Cruising) 7:00am 10:00am

Sat Jun 14 Juneau, AK 1:00pm 11:00pm

Sun Jun 15 Skagway, AK 7:00am 5:00pm

Mon Jun 16 Sitka, AK 8:30am 3:00pm

Tue Jun 17 Hubbard Glacier, AK (Cruising) 7:00am 11:00am

Wed Jun 18 Anchorage (Seward), AK 6:00pm

Thu Jun 19 Hubbard Glacier, AK (Cruising) 3:00pm 6:30pm

Fri Jun 20 Sitka, AK 11:00am 6:00pm

Sat Jun 21 Tracy Arm, AK (Cruising) 7:00am 9:30am

Sat Jun 21 Juneau, AK 1:00pm 11:00pm

Sun Jun 22 Skagway, AK 7:00am 4:00pm

Mon Jun 23 Ketchikan, AK 1:30pm 7:00pm

Tue Jun 24 At Sea

Wed Jun 25 Vancouver, Canada Disembark

OR FORGET CRUISING AND GO TO SANTA BARBARA AND STAY AT RESORT LIKE

http://www.bacararesort.com/

WITH SPA DAYS AND FINE DINING...HOPE THIS HELPS...

The only luxury line that operates in or near the US during summer is Regent, in Alaska. Every other luxury line, Crystal, Seabourn and Silversea are in the Med or Baltic during summer. Your only choice is going to be what hommebronze wrote.

I think time constraints would be the problem with that. Repo cruises to the Med are in April and they don't repo back until late October or early November. The OP would have to stay in Europe for months waiting for a return repo cruise.

A pity you can't take your cruise during the holidays in 2007-2008. Crystal Symphony is doing the Mexican Riviera out of LA. Great itinerary, took it last Christmas. If you can go in spring of 08, there are additional Crystal Cruises out of LA to Mexico, as well as during November of 08 as well. If you can get to NYC, the QM2 is doing laps accross the pond during the summer.

Try a sleeper with Amtrak. It's my preferred travel method when I have the time. I started using it regularly between FL and DC or NYC way before flying became such a hassle. It's very relaxing.

Good luck!

Marshgirl

...to stump me, grampini, but I have to admit I'm, well, stumped. There are some great options from San Francisco or points near enough by (if you're driving); the challenge is in your timing, particularly since you've already "done" Alaska.

Can you and your bride pretend you got married in January? If you can pretend, take her on a world cruise (in many cases you can board from the west coast though you may have to take a train to get home).

Here's the thing. In the summer, West Coast itineraries are pretty limited regardless of whether you want luxury or big ship. Winter's better because cruise lines offer roundtrips to Hawaii and points beyond from LA, most likely, or San Diego. Sometimes, you can board a segment of a world cruise from the West Coast, which would take you to the South Pacific and Asia (but then again unless you sail to the end you'd have to get on a plane).

What about a train trip to the East Coast...a few days in a dynamic city like New York, an Atlantic crossing on Queen Mary 2, a week in London, another crossing on Queen Mary 2...and then home by train? That's a June suggestion.

For the fall (and probably spring) you definitely can go from east to west (and vice versa); I'd check out Crystal's Panama Canal offerings, for sure.

Hope that helps -- feel free to email me if you have any questions (editor@cruisecritic.com).

Best,

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

I am trying to schedule a 50th anniversity cruise for June 2008. The problem is, my bride of going-on a half century suffers from a rare hearing disorder that prevents her from flying. We'd like to celebrate on a luxury cruise ship on June 14th 2008.

I could really use some ideas on how to get from San Francisco Bay area to the embarkation/disembarkation ports without flying or having to drive thousands of miles.

I thought about one-way auto rental which may be OK, but can't find a west coast port with RT luxury line itinerary other than Vancouver-Alaska. (We've done that twice.) Also thought about FL to West Coast via Panama Canal, but can't find June itineraries.

Anybody out there got any ideas? The anniversary is only going to happen once, so I'd like to do it right!

Grampini

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I thought about the QM2 also - either the full 24 trans/Europe/trans but you'd still have to get to NY, NY.

How about the Silverseas Silver Cloud out of Vancouver on 6/21/08 to SF. Luxury line...can't wait to sail on her...one of my co-workers goes almost every year.

Then, there is the American Queen departing from N'Awleans on 6/7/08 going to Memphis. Still have to drive to "train" back and forth.

Just not much going on from the west coast in June.

Of course, you always have the Carnival Pride down to the Mexican Riviera.

Too bad, Cruise West doesn't have their wine country cruise in June.

Good luck.

L

Grampini

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Please try the http://www.americanorientexpress.com web site. Now called Grand Luxe Express, this company has restored rail cars from some of the great trains of the 20th Century. They run overnight to 8 day trips all over the USA. Try to get a "Gold Suite" -- their most luxurious accomodation.

If you need to get to another East Coast city from the city in which your train ride ends, try Amtrak. We have taken Amtrak between NYC and Miami or LA several times. It's not as luxurious at the Grand Luxe Express, but if you take one of the Deluxe Suites (a combination of 2 deluxe bedrooms) you get 2 lower beds and 2 private w/c's, 2 sinks and 2 showers. You also get a "cabin steward" (or Stewaedess). Even for people who can fly, this is a much more comfortable option than 1st class air -- just don't expect wonderful food! The fare is quite reasonable, as well.

• 1 month later...

You might also want to look into the Rocky Mountaineer http://www.rockymountaineer.com/

as they run from Vancouver that time of year. I've been on the American Orient Express train and can tell you , that while luxurious and fun, the acommodiations are not what you would be used to on a luxury cruise. The Mountaineer has first class and deluxe accomodations but overnights at fine hotels so you don't end up sleeping in a train compartment.

• 4 weeks later...

Just be forewarned that the Grand Luxe Express is not accessible. They informed me when I looked into booking it that they could not accommodate my disabled husband in his wheelchair. They said the passages are quite narrow. They do not have to comply because it is a vintage train car.

The brocheures on it are lovely though...

• 1 month later...

Occassionally Luxury Liners pull into S/F, LA, and Seattle. Ask a TA to find one that is passing through and maybe you can catch a leg of a World Cruise..... but there is still the delima of getting back home......:(

Good Luck...and Happy Anniversary///:)

• 1 month later...

If you want to East Coast or Florida....Amtrak works just fine. I have not flown in 25 years. I would book a bedroom on Amtrak. Roomettes are very small for a couple with shared toilet/showers. Bedrooms have it all. One may think that Amtrak is spendy but factor in all meals included. Food is very good on trains with served meals in dining car. Train stations seem to be at all the port cities.

Congrats on your Anniversary. My humble opinion if time is not a concern is to pick your dream spot. Then decide how you will get to the port.

Life is short. Been all over the world and have not set foot on a plane in 25 years.

• 1 month later...

I was just perusing this section after a recommendation by our local paper's travel editor. I noticed the OP was dated last June and was just wondering what you decided. It's a shame that your wife can't fly but I understand. I'm an airline pilot and have a daughter that is terrified of flying. :mad: She takes the train for long trips. For such a trip as you're contemplating (if I had the time), I'd take AMTRAK up to either Portland or Seattle and then the Empire Builder to Chicago. The transit through Glacier National Park in Montana is spectacular. Then take the Lakeshore Limited from Chicago to NYC. I hope you're not in a hurry, because it's 45 hours from SEA to Chicago, a 7-hr wait in Chicago, and 20 more hours to NYC. If you have the time, and a bedroom compartment, it's a very nice trip. Another option is the take the Zephyr from Emeryville, CA (Bay area)to Chicago. That has some nice scenery, too, but I'm partial to the Empire Builder. Of course, once you get to NYC, take the QM2 on a translant. Hope things work out for you.

Archived