Update on the Splendor SA repo

2Ports

Just heard from my TA - she just got off the phone with her CCL rep who said that the bookings that open this friday are MexRiv only - not the repo. Had no info about the repo :( (except, of course that there needed to be one) I noticed there's quite a gap between the last Caribbean sailing and the first Mex - time for a repo and wet or drydock.

If anyone has any other info, please post it! (NO BICKERING, please! :mad: )

Don't want to miss a shot at this one! :eek:

Thanks!!

Just heard from my TA - she just got off the phone with her CCL rep who said that the bookings that open this friday are MexRiv only - not the repo. Had no info about the repo :( (except, of course that there needed to be one) I noticed there's quite a gap between the last Caribbean sailing and the first Mex - time for a repo and wet or drydock.

Thanks!!

I called my PVP to ask about a repo cruise and he had no information whatsoever. He said it was quite possible that since the Splendor (at this time) will not fit thru the canal that Carnival may just sail empty from point A to point B.

But, if and when, I hear anything I'll post here .. of course after booking a cabin ;)

Kathy

I called my PVP to ask about a repo cruise and he had no information whatsoever. He said it was quite possible that since the Splendor (at this time) will not fit thru the canal

It won't fit, thats why it's going round.

I don't think Carnival will not waist all that time sailing a ship around South America empty, when they can fill the ship and make money.

It won't fit, thats why it's going round.

I don't think Carnival will not waist all that time sailing a ship around South America empty, when they can fill the ship and make money.

That's why I said 'at this time'. :rolleyes: There is talk of widening the canal. So I guess it's a waiting game.

I'm very interested in knowing the details of this also. I, too, noted the gap from the last cruise out of FLL (end of Jan) and the first Mex. Riviera (end of March). I'm wondering if they'll market the trip from FLL to Cal in segments: FLL to Buenos Aires, BA to Chile, Chile to Cal? They certainly timed it perfectly to go around the Horn! Eagerly awaiting news....:)

I wouldn't be surprised if Carnival sails her empty around the Cape. The seas down there are almost always very rough. They probably don't want to deal with a ship full of seasick passengers. Further, it's actually rough enough to be dangerous down there.

Thanks!!

Why would a not even year-old ship need a wet or drydock?? :confused:

Why would a not even year-old ship need a wet or drydock?? :confused:

It'll be about a year and 8 months at the end of the Caribbean time. I think that all ships are required to have a full drydock every 2 years. I believe CCL usually does their drydocks in Bermuda or thereabouts.

It'll be about a year and 8 months at the end of the Caribbean time. I think that all ships are required to have a full drydock every 2 years. I believe CCL usually does their drydocks in Bermuda or thereabouts.

When is the end of the E. Caribbean time? I thought it was early 2009.

Not widening it. I thought they were just adding another set of locks @ each end to accomodate more traffic???

The new locks (already under construction - we saw them last October on our Coral cruise) will be able to handle much larger ships than the current locks, as well as increasing the number of ships per day. The Canal itself is plenty big to handle the larger ships; it was the locks that limited the size of ships going through. That's why most US Navy ships are smaller than many cruise ships - they are all built to be able to pass through the Canal.

When is the end of the E. Caribbean time? I thought it was early 2009.

She is scheduled to launch this July, so early July 2007 to late January 2009 = about a year and seven or 8 months, depending on the actual dates.

Ooops, my bad - the launch is July 2008. Never mind. Please ignore previous post as well. More (NON Carnival) coffee, please?

The new locks (already under construction - we saw them last October on our Coral cruise) will be able to handle much larger ships than the current locks, as well as increasing the number of ships per day. The Canal itself is plenty big to handle the larger ships; it was the locks that limited the size of ships going through. That's why most US Navy ships are smaller than many cruise ships - they are all built to be able to pass through the Canal.

Thanks! We were @ the canal last year. Forgot about the widening part. :) See ya onboard!

Rob

Archived