Youngsters: at what age can they travel for "free"?

Mammaof2girls

Is there a specific age on the cruise ships in which a youngster can cruise for free? Does the age vary by ship? I was wondering if my 2 1/2 yr. old would get to go on a cruise for free considering her age? Thanks in advance. :D (I hear Norweigan doesn't charge youngsters if they are 3 and under...not sure how true that is.??)

The "free" aspect is for infants only and not toddlers. The cut off point is usually 12 months. After that age, they pay the third person fares.

Hmn, I guess like others said, I will call and find out. My friend who is leaving on the NCL Dawn this week said that NCL is the only one who charges free for ages 3 and under. ?? I'll need to check into this. Thanks!

Hmn, I guess like others said, I will call and find out. My friend who is leaving on the NCL Dawn this week said that NCL is the only one who charges free for ages 3 and under. ?? I'll need to check into this. Thanks!

Hmn, looks like my friend was wrong. Just looked on their website and the NCL says this:

Do children cruise for free?

Children under two cruise at substantially reduced prices when staying in a stateroom with two or more paying guests. However, government fees still apply.

The reason I suggested that you call the cruise line is that there is one or two of them that allow you take children at either a complimentary rate or one that is lower than what a third person would cost. And, once in a while a cruise line wil run a promotion just for a handful of cruises.

Now in terms of those who charge for a third or forth person some charge a relatively small amount while others charge a fair amount.

In short, call around or have a TA help you.

Again, while most will charge something some charge less than others and possibly you'll find one with a promotion.

Keith

We are booked on NCL for next year (Alaska cruise) with 2 small kids travelling with us.

My 5 year old was charged $409 and my 1 year old was charged $140. The port charges were $122.42 for each of them.

Anyway, I didn't think that was bad for an Alaskan cruise.

From the Princess web site, who CAN be on their cruises

Children over six (6) months of age at the date of sailing will be accepted on the following itineraries: Alaska, Canada & New England, Caribbean, Europe, Mexico, Transcanal and Australia & New Zealand (coastal cruise only). Only children over the age of one (1) year at the date of sailing will be accepted for the following itineraries: Africa, South America, South Pacific, Hawaii, Tahiti, world cruises including Asia, Antarctica, Indian subcontinent, Transatlantic and Transpacific cruises.

From the Princess web site, who CAN be on their cruises

Children over six (6) months of age at the date of sailing will be accepted on the following itineraries: Alaska, Canada & New England, Caribbean, Europe, Mexico, Transcanal and Australia & New Zealand (coastal cruise only). Only children over the age of one (1) year at the date of sailing will be accepted for the following itineraries: Africa, South America, South Pacific, Hawaii, Tahiti, world cruises including Asia, Antarctica, Indian subcontinent, Transatlantic and Transpacific cruises.

This is typical of most cruise lines. The question was not whether children can go on the cruise. Rather the question was about prices.

Keith

The reason I suggested that you call the cruise line is that there is one or two of them that allow you take children at either a complimentary rate or one that is lower than what a third person would cost. And, once in a while a cruise line wil run a promotion just for a handful of cruises.

Now in terms of those who charge for a third or forth person some charge a relatively small amount while others charge a fair amount.

In short, call around or have a TA help you.

Again, while most will charge something some charge less than others and possibly you'll find one with a promotion.

Keith

Thanks Keith! I think I will eventually have a TA help us, especially since we've never cruised before. I appreciate it. Good to know about the third or forth person charge, at a possible complimentary rate. Finding a promo would also be a good thing. Thanks!

Cruizekidz - That was a special good rate you got there for your kids. I will inquire about special rates as well.

bewitchedwitch - Oooh, an Alaskan cruise sounds wonderful! With the expense that it is, looks like you also got a good deal on your kids!

Thanks everyone! :)

Anyone over 2 pays on Princess. I recently checked. DON

From the Princess web site, who CAN be on their cruises Children over six (6) months of age at the date of sailing will be accepted on the following itineraries: Alaska, Canada & New England, Caribbean, Europe, Mexico, Transcanal and Australia & New Zealand (coastal cruise only). Only children over the age of one (1) year at the date of sailing will be accepted for the following itineraries: Africa, South America, South Pacific, Hawaii, Tahiti, world cruises including Asia, Antarctica, Indian subcontinent, Transatlantic and Transpacific cruises.

This is typical of most cruise lines. The question was not whether children can go on the cruise. Rather the question was about prices.Keith
Keith, I suspect jlp was simply trying to clarify Don's comment. Don's comment was misleading in that there are no special fares on Princess simply due to age. (Children under two pay the same as anyone over the age of two be it 1st/2nd or 3rd/4th rate in cabin). Age is irrelevant other than whether or not you can go. ;)

Archived