Jamaica: Go on shore excursion or stay on board?

Myself and three teenagers want to take the Canopy tour (zip line) shore excursion while in Jamaica in two weeks. I have heard that Jamaica is extremely dangerous for four females, even on a ship sponsored shore excursion. Is it safe? Has anyone been on this RCL shore excursion? Will we be harrassed if we are on a tour? I will be thankful for any information that I receive!

A friend of mine is Jamaican. She said that Ocho Rios is much safer than Montego Bay. Read all you can about whichever port you are sailing to, and if you DO decide to go on the excursion, stay with a large group.

We went to Ocho Rios in 2000 and loved it. We'll be going back later this year, but that won't help you with your decision. You are sailing before we are.

Myself and three teenagers want to take the Canopy tour (zip line) shore excursion while in Jamaica in two weeks. I have heard that Jamaica is extremely dangerous for four females, even on a ship sponsored shore excursion. Is it safe? Has anyone been on this RCL shore excursion? Will we be harrassed if we are on a tour? I will be thankful for any information that I receive!

I will be very honest as I just came of the Conquest that had 17 people robbed with guns and machettes and threatend to kill a 10 year old girl who went hysterical to say the least. Most people that go to Jamaica HATE it and we are no different, it is an awful port of call. Now having said that my wife and daughter went on a excursion thru the ship for the Canopy tour and they had a great time and felt very very safe. It was thru the ship and was operated by Chukka tours and they were very funny and very friendly. I would ask who is doing the tour. We were offered drugs IN the terminal building by a Jamaican SECURUTY OFFICER. You will hear people tell you that crime is everywhere... blah blah blah. That is all BS and I will again tell you that the majority (THE BIG MAJORITY) hate Jamaica, so go if you must but be aware that you are on your own.:eek: :eek:

We felt ok in Ocho Rios on the ship's excursion to Dunn's River Falls. We heard the terrible news about the tourists in Montego Bay but we are going on an excursion thru RCL.

The only way I would leave the ship is on a ship's excursion. I know that doesn't guarantee safety but it helps. If you recall the police were called to the crime scene and responded quickly. I am thinking that the government is responding to these situations because negative press will encourage people to stay onboard and the financial consequences for the island will be enormous. Well, at least that is the plan I believe.

So we are going:eek:

You are right to be concerned. However, if the ship's shore excursion is just ziplining- and no extra stop to let you roam through a shopping area (many excursions do add that at the end), you should be fine as long as the girls all know to stay together and to stay with you. If one of those teenagers is not too responsible- more likely to be a risk-taker or do her own thing, you'll be a nervous wreck if she wanders away (whether intentionally or not).

Zip-lining tours (in general) get great reviews on Cruise Critic. This might be a good port for that type of shore excursion- since it's not a good port to just taxi to a beach or shopping area.

Wife and I went on the zip line 2 years ago and are doing it again in October. The bus took us directly to the site and right back to the boat.

No one can ever guarantee safety anywhere, but I would imagine that Jamaican authorities will do all that they can to make excursions safe. Remember that one of the guys who did the robbery was killed "resisting". :confused:

Just like any other urban center???????? On what continent? We went to Ochos Rios in April via Mariner. Within two blocks, I was ready to go back to the ship. I have traveled to many backstreets in many US urban areas, and I have never felt as unsafe as I did in Jamaica. I had my wife, and kids (12 & 15) with me and could not wait to get them back to the ship. We went tubing down the White River. The tubing was fun, but I did not feel comfortable at any point. I don't plan to ever go back to the area, but if I happen to be on a ship with Jamaica as a port, I will take that day to explore the ship.

Two girls here (my sister and I) were on the Navigator with a stop in Ocho Rios and we had a good time at Dunns River Falls. Would we go off on our own? NO! People were pushy about tips and a couple of little kids at the falls asked us for money. Just say no and keep walking and they leave you alone. When we got to the falls our tour guide told us that there would be people trying to put necklaces on us and they were for sale. She said if you weren't interested to just say no thanks and keep walking. It worked.

After the falls, I wanted to buy a t-shirt for my niece and the guy that sold it to me asked if I wanted any drugs. I simply said, "I don't do drugs" and he said okay and that was the end of it.

If there is an excursion you want to do, I say go for it. If nothing really interests you, stay onboard and enjoy the quiet of the ship.

We've been to Jamaica a few times - all in Ocho Rios. I don't have any bad feelings about it. There are persistent sellers and beggars in many places in the world.

Last January, we took a tour to a nearby beach. It was great - all the food and drink you could want, entertainment, our own server, etc. for one fee. I never felt unsafe.

We (DH and I) were in Ocho Rios last summer and generally agree with the picture that's being painted here - the locals are very spooky. That said, I would still urge you to consider a tour, as Jamaica was also the amazingly beautiful place I've ever seen - lush and fragrant with life springing out of every crevice! If you've never been before and might never be again, you won't want to miss it.

Here's an idea you might want to think about: Get involved with the roll call for your sailing. See who's doing what for shore excursions and try to develop a rapport with a few couples or families that are going zipping. The CC'ers that participate in roll call are usually very friendly and I'd imagine you'd have no trouble finding somebody to buddy up with in advance. If it were me and three girls, I know I'd feel much better in that environment with somebody even casually watching my back. You'll be far less vulnerable if you're not easily identified as "women alone". There are several very trustworthy private tour providers that CC'ers use and believe me; they are not unaware of perils of their home town. Since their livelihood depends on your safety, they are very careful. None the less, a ship sponsored tour might still be your best bet. See what everybody else is doing and decide from there.

BTW, I can't stress enough how glad I am we didn't miss Ocho Rios. Climbing the falls and tubing the White River were experiences of a lifetime. DS (9), however, decided that morning that he wanted to stay in Adventure Ocean. Initially that made us a little cross, but in retrospect, had he been with us it would have been much more nerve-wracking.

Happy Sails,

Annette

Myself and three teenagers want to take the Canopy tour (zip line) shore excursion while in Jamaica in two weeks.

The posts here are right on. Caution needs to be used in Jamaica. But, do not cancel your zip-line excursion. I did that last month in Ocho Rios and absolutely loved it.

Stay on the ship,I was chased by a man in a wheel chair with no legs because I wouldn't buy his drugs and I am 78. Needless to say I don't run well but I did that day, he was probably the only person I could out distance in a race,LOL. Seriously tho it is a scary place.

Why would anyone go to a place like this? 17 people were robbed that were on a shore escursion. I have read enough about Jamica crime to know it is a place I have no interest in. I have been lucky so far that all the cruises I ever taken never went there and I am more then ok with that. I just cannot see going some place that I would not feel safe. I know are you really safe no matter where you go and I have to say there is a level of degrees that you can feel safer and Jamica for me is last on that list. For all those who go just be safe.

We were in Ocho Rios this past January and had no problems at all. We booked a private tour with Phil Layfayette to the falls and then basically general sightseeing. After lunch I needed to go back to the ship so my DW and another couple went shopping nearby. None of us felt uneasy at any time. I am glad that we did the sightseeing. I would not cancel the canopy tour. I would go on it and enjoy it.

I've taken tours there, even to the center of town, and have never had a problem. Same as if I walked down a urban center.

Loved the falls and the gardens.

I agree Pete. I have been to Jamaica at least six or seven times by ship and have had zero problems. I have done ships excursions and hired our own driver a few times and had a blast. The situation that happened with the Carnival excursion is sad but that is the first time that I have heard of something like this happening before. I say go and enjoy yourself and bring good common sense along with you.

A few years back there was a passenger on a Princess ship that was walking with her husband from Havensight mall in St. Thomas to the downtown area. They were held up by a couple of men. They wanted the ladies diamond ring. She resisted and they murdered right there in broad daylight for that ring. Hasn't stopped folks from going to St. Thomas. Crime is everywhere. Even on cruise ships.

I fear that if you go there expecting to be scared of the locals, you will be. We spent a week in Montego Bay last year and have been to Ocho Rios and Mo'Bay several times on cruises over the years and have never found reason to be afraid. A firm and polite "No thank you" has always worked for us when we were approached by admittedly persistent vendors but at no time did we feel threatened. Last October we were with our kids and grandkids on Freedom of the Seas and felt no compunction about leaving the ship and taking a taxi to the Sunset Beach Resort and Spa. Had we not gone there, we would have taken them to Doctor's Cave Beach.

The recent event involving the Carnival passenger was an unusual event, not something that happens with any regularity, and I suspect that all tour operators and cruiselines will take added measures to insure the security of their clients.

Jamaica is a beautiful island and the people that we met during our visits there were warm and friendly and extremely hard working. Anywhere you travel you need to keep aware of your surroundings but crime and violence can occur close to home as readily as in some foreign port. If you are going to spend a lot of money on a cruise vacation but will not get off in any of the ports unless you can get an iron-clad guarantee of safety, you better be prepared to enjoy spending most or all of your time on the ship.:rolleyes:

Do the Canopy tour you will love it!

Use common sense keep aware of your surroundings( just like anywhere else you might travel) and have a blast! My wife and I spent a week in Jamaica and had a great time.

I haven't taken the time to read the posts here, but I will say that if you go to any destinations, just be aware that bad things might happen.

Be sure to get into a cab that is parked near the ship, and one that is marked and licensed.

We were in Jamaica a few times, both MoBay and ORios. I can't remember which port the following occured but a couple of elderly shipmates got into a private taxi and were taken to a tin roofed shack and robbed.

It happens just about everywhere, even in our states, so just use extra caution.

Keep a few dollars in a fake wallet in your back pocket, and give that up if you are robbed. (Keep the real wallet in your front pocket or purse that is directly in front of you), and keep a copy of your passports.

If it were me, I would probably opt to stay onboard the ship. I've heard nothing but bad, bad things about Montego Bay, but I hear Ocho Rio is much, much better (safer). That's my $0.02. :)

Well you obviously missed my posts and those of several others who have reported good experiences in Montego Bay and posts from some who had problems in Ocho Rios.:rolleyes: If you pay attention you will find a lot of pros and cons about both ports of call, but if you choose to be selective and ignore the posts which contradict your premise, you can probably build a great case for Ocho Rios over Mo'Bay. The only problem is that it will be based on your biases and not on factual evidence. Then again, basing a decision solely on what you hear is not a substitute for actual experience. :(

We had a great time on the canopy tour last year. The Jamaican people near the shops in Ocho Rios were very aggressive, which we did not like, and we did not remain in that area very long. The tour, however, felt very safe. We were always in a large group and the bus took us straight there and back. The jungle was so beautiful! I wouldn't miss it, if I were you. It was one of the highlights of our cruise.

We've been to both Mobay and Ocho Rios. We loved them both. Both times we carefully researched private tour guides before our trip. Jamaica is one of our favorite stops. We were in Mobay in October. We wanted to do some shopping at one of the local markets. Our tour guide came shopping with us and when the vendors started to get too aggressive he gathered us up and told us it was time to leave. He then took us to another market where they weren't so aggressive....actually we found the people to be quite lovely - very friendly! We had two teenage girls with us and never felt unsafe. I would go back to Jamaica in a heartbeat. I am sad to hear of the incident that occured on that tour.

This is a dangerous and nasty port. If you think different, why are there never these questions asked about Grand Cayman, Cozumel, etc....This alone should inform you that it is a dangerous and corrupt city.

Archived