Jamaica: Go on shore excursion or stay on board?

Some ports get a reputation that lasts far longer than the reality, and there may be some other factors and prejudices involved. The point is that many of us have had totally different experiences in Jamaica. However, if you go expecting it to be a dangerous or forbidding place, you may interpret even innocent incidents in a negative way that reinforce your preconceptions.

Some ports get a reputation that lasts far longer than the reality, and there may be some other factors and prejudices involved. The point is that many of us have had totally different experiences in Jamaica. However, if you go expecting it to be a dangerous or forbidding place, you may interpret even innocent incidents in a negative way that reinforce your preconceptions.

Trying to read your mush sounds like something that came from the New York Times or a quote from Hillary Clinton. Please tell us that Hillary is not posting here!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sorry if the facts sometimes conflict with your biases or your politics.:rolleyes: What you view as mush is my feeble attempt to inject a bit of reality into the dialogue. The OP asked if it was safe to get off the ship in Montego Bay, and I wanted to reassure him or her that, despite some highly publicized though rare incidents, most of the thousands of people who get off the ship in Montego Bay report having a pleasant experience and would not hesitate to return. :)

Trying to read your mush sounds like something that came from the New York Times or a quote from Hillary Clinton. Please tell us that Hillary is not posting here!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

His mush as you call it makes sense to me. You're the one running around these boards like Chicken Little stating the sky is falling because of your one cruise and a visit to Jamaica.

What happened on that cruise is not a everyday thing on this island. It is a very easy option for everyone. If you don't want to visit Jamaica again then don't. Book a cruise that does not include a stop here or stay on the ship but don't try to tell other folks here to stay away. The answer is so simple.:rolleyes:

My husband and I took the ship sponsored canopy tour in January, the bus went straight there and right back. We had a very enjoyable tour with absolutely no problems, we felt very safe. We were not offered any drugs either on tour or at the port.

I've been to Jamaica twice. (once as a cruise stop in Ocho Rios and once for a week at a resort). I've also been to several other Caribbean locations. (Mexico, Bahamas, Antigua, St. Lucia, St. Martin, Belize, St. Croix, Honduras, Puerto Rico, Cayman, Aruba, Curacao, Dominican Republic).

My opinion is this:

Every traveler has their own level of comfort in various situations. From the various posts it's easy to see, some take "aggressive" vendors in stride, some find this a little too intrusive to be comfortable. Some folks like eating local foods from roadside vendors, while others wouldn't dare.

I'm not qualified to tell you whether you will or won't be safe although I guess statistically, the VAST majority of folks don't have serious problems. However, FEELING safe is totally different that BEING safe. While you may be totally safe, if you are nervous then the experience will probably not be a good one. Unfortunately only you can determine your own comfort level and make desisions based on that.

Personally, I will not venture outside of secured areas in Jamaica unless I'm in a taxi or bus that I obtained via the resort or inside the cruise pier enclosure. The one time I cruised to Jamaica, we bought a day pass to one of the Sandals Resorts. The time I spent a week there, we stayed the entire time at the resort.

The first time was on the cruise stop in Ocho Rios, and a bunch of us Cruise Critic members who had been chatting for months prior to the cruise decided to go to Sandals for the day. (We had a blast by the way). At the edges of the resort on the beach there were fences with a group of locals waiting on the outside with guards on the inside. In fact the resorts have security everywhere. On the taxi ride there and back we saw several men walking the streets with machetes. That was something that would make me FEEL unsafe if I was out on the street. I decided to go back to Jamaica to a different resort for a week and again, had a blast. And again, the resort had security everywhere, and we again saw men walking the streets with machetes on the ride to/from the resort.

Of all the other places I've been, I've never seen that many security guards in resort areas, nor have I seen armed locals roaming the roads.

As a point of comparison, in Roatan Honduras, ( a much poorer country than Jamaica ) the vendors we met here and there were not pushy at all. I've got a photo of my daughter (then 10) buying a necklace from one of the younger ones. In fact, she had to work to get the attention of the vendor in order to buy it!!

As another point of comparison, In Antigua, we walked off the ship to a bunch of shops and some vendors with signs advertising various things. They all were smiling and asked if we wanted this or that. We'd hear "good moring" and "welcome" often. If we said no thanks, an "enjoy your stay" was their response. Everyone we met was litterally tripping over themselves to assist us, give us directions and earnestly trying to ensure we felt welcome.

When I go on vacation, I want to feel relaxed, safe and I want to have fun. Jamaica has some wonderfully fun resorts and I've had nothing but fun when I'm there. I will not venture outside those secure and friendly environments to fend off overly agressive vendors and worry about the guy coming up the way with the big knife. I PERSONALLY wouldn't enjoy that.

We've enjoyed the Falls at Ocho Rios and the port area as well as different parts of MoBay, but we certainly do not like the hassles of people always trying to sell something. There are so many other islands offering most of what Jamaica offers--and more--it surprises me that people keep going to Jamaica! There are beaches, ziplines, history, and numerous water activities on other islands--why bother with an island with a security reputation like Jamaica's? That being said, we had a great time at the Jamaican Bobsled Cafe and Margaritaville in MoBay this year!

We were in Ochos Rios on the Navigator in 2003. We did Dunns River Falls on our own-a party of 8. Coming back through the straw market the "ladies" were touching and soliciting my 14 year old son. I was very nervous then and again near Margaritaville. On any subsequent trips to Jamaica I will stay on the ship. JMHO

This is a dangerous and nasty port. If you think different, why are there never these questions asked about Grand Cayman, Cozumel, etc....This alone should inform you that it is a dangerous and corrupt city.

Like New York, Detroit, and...:rolleyes:

We've been to Jamaica and have had no trouble. Do your research and plan carefully, and be firm with any locals that try to harass you. Remember that the world is not Disney land.

Be a traveller, not a tourist.

I have been to Jamaica twice so far and had a great time each time. Once a cruise stop and once for a week. We chose our next cruised based on the ship and the fact it stops at Ocho Rios. I wanted to do Eastern, but my son has not been to Jamaica and we want to take him there. I was going to choose the Liberty, but she didn't stop at Ocho Rios, so we chose the Freedom. My son will be 10 when we go and we plan on taking a private tour to DRF and White River tubing.

We go into it being careful and aware and will do the same this time. I believe Jamaica is beautiful and should be approached with caution, but not fear.

Do the Canopy tour you will love it!

Use common sense keep aware of your surroundings( just like anywhere else you might travel) and have a blast! My wife and I spent a week in Jamaica and had a great time.

I don't get the impression that the 17 people (including children) that were on a SHIP'S excursion for a GUIDED tour of a PLANTATION (not an aggressive shopping area) didn't use common sense or were unaware of their surroundings. I, too, am on the fence about cancelling my planned excursion with a private tour person because of this news. Excellent point made by Oakbend that the questionable safety issues that are being posted are almost entirely isolated to the ports of Jamaica.:( JMHO

I don't get the impression that the 17 people (including children) that were on a SHIP'S excursion for a GUIDED tour of a PLANTATION (not an aggressive shopping area) didn't use common sense or were unaware of their surroundings. I' date=' too, am on the fence about cancelling my planned excursion with a private tour person because of this news. Excellent point made by Oakbend that the questionable safety issues that are being posted are almost entirely isolated to the ports of Jamaica.:( JMHO[/quote']

However, the incident was an isolated one and not something that has happened with any degree of regularity. I guess that by Oakbend's standards, one shouldn't attend any colleges or high schools based on the recent tragic events that have occurred in a few. Many of the posts warning about alleged crime in Jamaica seem to have more to do with people who felt uncomfortable or unsafe and not with actual victims of crime. Ultimately, everyone has to determine their risk level, but one would hope that their decision would be the result of facts and not unfounded fears sparked by questionable anecdotal evidence.

Please tell us that Hillary is not posting here!!!!:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Afraid of those intellectually superior to you?

To stay on topic. Nothing felt unsafe about Jamaica at all. Mind your own business and you should be ok.

I don't get the impression that the 17 people (including children) that were on a SHIP'S excursion for a GUIDED tour of a PLANTATION (not an aggressive shopping area) didn't use common sense or were unaware of their surroundings. I' date=' too, am on the fence about cancelling my planned excursion with a private tour person because of this news. Excellent point made by Oakbend that the questionable safety issues that are being posted are almost entirely isolated to the ports of Jamaica.:( JMHO[/quote']

There has been trouble in Mexico as well. I believe that there was a robbery in Costa Rica (the robber was subdued and killed by a cruise passenger, I believe) And then there's the Aruba situation. Should we just stop cruising altogether?

Archived