binoculars necessary?

plenox

I am planning our very first Alaska cruise trip for the next year. From some of the extensive trip reports by many cruisers, it seems that almost everyone brought their binoculars with them. We have a very old pair of bushnell that we have for years. My eyes get tired even after a brief moment of usage, which is why it mostly stays in our closest for the past several years. I have been cruising in Hawaii and Caribbean in the past, never thought of having a binoculars for a cruise trip before. Can we still see wild life without it? Do we need one for each person? thanks

Yes. it is necessary if wildlife spotting and scenic viewing are your priority. Our family had a wonderful time on May 27 Sun Princess trip. We are glad we bought and took our Zen-Ray binoculars with us after taking advice from this board. They are just wonderful, very clear and bright. We have seen so many wildlife up close: black bears, bald eagles, deers.. They would be just some dots at distance.. But unfortunately, most of the fellow passengers on my cruise didn't have ones . We normally offered to share ours with them whenever we were out on the deck. have fun planning your trip. :)

I bought binoculars for our Alaska trip, having never used them before, and I was very glad to have them. The one time I didn't have them with me was on our 6-hour Kenai Fjords cruise. I thought they were still in the backpack - but they weren't. :(

We own 5 pair of binoculars, but after reading several threads on these boards I decided to upgrade and invest in a pair of ZenRay Summit model 10x42. These are still a mid range and affordable model, so Mrs Red Pony didn't go nuts about the $ I spent ($150). But what a difference! I've already used them at the Grand Canyon, and I took my old 8x35s with me to compare. I'm so glad that I bought these new ones, and we can't wait to get to Alaska next month!

There are several threads that you can search here about buying and using binoculars in Alaska. They include positive and negative feedback. Just ignore NewmansDad.:eek:

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience and recommendation. I am now convinced that it is necessary to get a pair of good binoculars. Redrox, I did a search (didn't even know this forum has this function until today :o) and got many trip reviews, like LarryF, 4ever voyager, showing up. It seems they also speak highly of the zens.. I went ahead and placed an order. I will let you know what I think of it once i get it. Now, I need to start searching my camera lens... It seems there are a lot of stuff to prepare, anyone has a sample packing list?

Bring the Binoculars. We just returned from Alaska and we were told that we would be provided with Binoculars through our CC cabin. However, we still brought our binoculars as they were small. We are so glad we did, as the binoculars in the cabin provided were good, but ours were better and we could see more clearer with them. We did Whale Watching tours through the ship, and the whale watching boats had really good binoculars that you could use while on their boat also. However while on land you do need binoculars to see the wildlife.

We just came back from the NCL Sun to Alaska (June 10 -17/07) We went on the Tracey arm tour on the Catarmaran. They supplied the binocular's on that excursion. It was well worth it. We went right up to Sawyer Glacier, We also seen lots of Seals & their pups + a few humpback whales.

IF you are going to be hard core for marine wildlife watching, wide angle is a MUST. The area is so vast, it is very difficult to track without it. I always have my 10x50's with me, and a second higher power pair. Yes I sometimes will have both around my neck, but my priorities are there. :)

Absolutely, bring the binoculars! I had a pair that we shared between 5 of us. I wish we had at least a 2nd pair. I maybe selfish, but it was hard to share when you were watching bears eat on shore or whales and sea otters enjoying themselves. And the next time I go to Alaska (there will be a next time..) I will get a stronger pair of binoculars.

Hi:

We're just back from crusing Alaska on the Infinity. My suggestion would be to bring a second (or third) pair (not necessarily as expensive) so that you all get to share the experience when spotting an orca, eagle, or other wildlife.

You can miss valuable siting time, sharing and shifting the focus of one pair of binocs - and we found there was always something to spot.

In fact, I could not believe the number of people complaining they had not seen anything by the fourth day - the trick to spotting wildlife is watching for wildlife!!!

The number of eagles in Ketchikan are amazing - check out from your ship when landing - sky above the float plane dock.

Also, if going to Hoonah, - take shuttle to in-town pier and focus on small the island.

Good spotting!!!!!

One person in our group used his binoculars and placed his camera on the lens to take his photos-the photos are awesome. We each had binoculars and I would not suggest going without them-used them (ZenRays) everyday.

• 3 weeks later...
It seems there are a lot of stuff to prepare, anyone has a sample packing list?

here is simple packing list I used. It was for early september cruise

Essential Items

o Passports/Green cards/driver’s licenses/Birth Certificate

o Cruising tickets

o Cash

o Couple of blank checks

· Clothing

o Gloves

o Sunglasses

o dress shoes

o sneakers

o flip-flops

o warm hat/scarf/face mask if you have..

o formal night dining jacket or dress

o two dress shirts

o Ties

o two dress slacks

o rain jacket with hood

o sweater or fleece

o blue jeans/casual pants

o underwears for at least seven nights

o Swimming trunks or swimsuits

o extra socks

o personal hygiene items, tooth brush razor blade, etc

o

· Other items

o cameras/camcorder/Chargers/batteries/cassette

o Binoculars

o cell phones work in AK can be used as alarm clock

o Laptop with GPS receiver

o Land maps of the ports

o Travel itinerary for each port of call

o Power cord

o poker cards

o Sandwich bags

o zip lock bags for any items that might get wet

o Sunscreen

o small flash light

o small umbrellas

o First aid

One of the things I forgot to mention in my Alaskan review, was how much we enjoyed our Zen Ray Binnoculars. We had purchased them directly from their web site and my husband says they are the finest pair he has ever owned and he has 5 pair. We looked out our hotel window in Vancouver towards Mt. Ranier. With the naked eye, it was pretty hard to see, but with the Zen Ray's it was so exciting to see it. And that is a long way off from Vancouver harbour. On the Inside Passage cruise, we could clearly see the island banks, lighthouses, homes, eagles in the trees, etc. A good purchase, indeed. gg

Going to Alaska without binoculars :eek: is like going to Las Vegas without money. You can, but, why would you!

I purchased a pair of Nikon Monarch 10x42 a couple of weeks ago for our upcoming Alaska cruise. Last week I had the opportunity of comparing them to the Zen-Ray Summit 10x42, no difference that I could see. My husband has a old pair of Bushnell 7x35 that he was going to take. However, he has been playing with my new Nikon's and now wants his own (he knows I don't share very well:o ), so we are going to buy a pair of the Zen-Ray's for half the cost of Nikon.

Great list, Dave:)

Have a great trip!

Going to Alaska without binoculars :eek: is like going to Las Vegas without money. You can, but, why would you!

I purchased a pair of Nikon Monarch 10x42 a couple of weeks ago for our upcoming Alaska cruise. Last week I had the opportunity of comparing them to the Zen-Ray Summit 10x42, no difference that I could see. My husband has a old pair of Bushnell 7x35 that he was going to take. However, he has been playing with my new Nikon's and now wants his own (he knows I don't share very well:o ), so we are going to buy a pair of the Zen-Ray's for half the cost of Nikon.

Do you have a more detailed review on comparing nikon with zen-ray? A friend of mine is interested in getting a pair of Monarch 10x42. The neareast sports store from where we live is 50 miles in the next town so she wanted to get more information before driving out. I copied your comment to her and suggested her to get zen-ray too. But she asked some questions about lens coating, brightness comparison, which I have no idea at all. thanks for the help

Do you have a more detailed review on comparing nikon with zen-ray? A friend of mine is interested in getting a pair of Monarch 10x42. The neareast sports store from where we live is 50 miles in the next town so she wanted to get more information before driving out. I copied your comment to her and suggested her to get zen-ray too. But she asked some questions about lens coating, brightness comparison, which I have no idea at all. thanks for the help

Here is a web site for review on the Nikon Monarch: www.epinions.com/Nikon_8x42_Waterproof_ATB_Binocular__Binoculars_7430

Nikon website:

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=4&grp=38&productNr=7432

Unfortunately, the only review on Zen-Ray is on CC board. The web site I gave you for Zen-Ray is the only detail I can offer you. You cannot actually try out the Zen-Ray unless you know someone who has a pair because they are no sold in any retail stores. I would however, suggest that you purchase the Zen-Ray http://www.zen-ray.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65 directly from them and not on Ebay, you will not save any money.

I was fortunate enough to have a friend who had a pair of Zen-Ray so I could compare. I am not a pro when it comes to binoculars, it is hust my opinion that I saw no difference between the two.

Hopefully, Dave (aka GIANGF) will pick up on this question you have. He is extremely knowledgable when it comes to binoculars and very helpful.

Hope this helps:)

I was fortunate enough to have a friend who had a pair of Zen-Ray so I could compare. I am not a pro when it comes to binoculars, it is hust my opinion that I saw no difference between the two.

Hopefully, Dave (aka GIANGF) will pick up on this question you have. He is extremely knowledgable when it comes to binoculars and very helpful.

Hope this helps:)

I posted a comparison between nikon and zen-ray before but seems not to be able to find it (maybe system purged it out after a while). My conclusion pretty much echoes what Kathy has described before. Optically they are almost identical. There are some minor difference in details. I will try to put a comparison together some time next week when I am less busy with my work. remind me in case I forget.

I know nothing about binaculars.

What is the difference between 10x42 (the one's that are repeatedly recommended) and 10x50 (that seem to be less expensive).

Thanks.

First, let me explain what those two numbers are: first number indicates the magnification power, so 10x means 10 times magnification power; second value is the size of objective lens (the glass away from your eyes) diameter in mm. So 10x42 means a binocular with 10 times magnification power and its objective lenses are 42mm in diameter. But binoculars are more than just those two numbers, a top rated 10x42 can sell for $1800, while a junky one can be bought on ebay for $40 or less

See the link below for more detailed information about binos

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=550923

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=565409

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=582397

If you compare 10x42 vs 10x50 from the same company and the same production line, 10x50 will be more than expensive than 10x42 simply because bigger glass is more expensive to make. Also, often time, a 10x50 model is Porro prism design, which is also cheaper to make than 10x42 (typically roofprism design, lighter and more expensive to make)

Hope this will help

Can someone post a link on where to order the zenrays please?

Thanks

Wayne

A few of us have ordered Zen-Rays and the optical quality of the pairs we received was inferior. I offered to exchange mine if they felt they were not representative of their product line. They declined.

I would suggest that your time would be well spent at a store or stores that offer a wide selection of binoculars. You can see exactly what you are getting, learn a little and fit your budget. I have some wonderful Leica Trinovids that were an indulgence yet I still use and love an $80 pair of Pentax UCF’s.

These websites have reviews of most of the glasses available from branded suppliers. Take a look before you go shopping…

http://www.binoculars.org/birding/Reviews/Index.html

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publications/LivingBird/winter2005/Age_Binos.html

If you are determined to buy over the internet, http://binoculars.com/is a good starting place and they are competitively priced.

Archived