Cooking school, family activities

HOSKI

Ok, I had a senior moment and planned things incorrectly for NOLA. Now I'm back to decided what to do there. All suggestions are welcome.

Background info.: Family of three with 5 year old, have rental car for two days, staying right outside the city, need to go reasonable on prices.

Fascination 1997 Destiny 2000

Victory 2000 Sensation 2001

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

NCL Dawn 2003 Inspiration 2003

Victory 2004 Holiday 2004

There is an Aquarium and Zoo tour that includes a trip on a river boat from the riverwalk to zoo and back that would seem like it would be a good activity for you to look into. We did it a couple of years ago and enjoyed it.

The riverwalk area is right downtown by the river naturally and there are public parking lots right near there. You can also walk to the French Market from there.

Another fun thing is to go across the river on the ferry and visit the Marti Gras parade float museum. They provide transportation from the ferry station to them and back as part of the admission cost. Seeing the floats and costumes up close was interesting.

Have a GREAT next cruise.

HAL Noordam 3/97 West Carib

Hal Westerdam 12/97 East Carib

HAL Veendam 11/98 East Carib

Hal Zaandam 12/00 South Carib

HAL Veendam 10/01 Panama Canal

RCCL Enchantment 09/02 W.Carib

Costa Atlantica 12/02 E.Carib

HAL Noordam 03/03 S.Carib

Golden Princess 07/03 Med

Celebrity Zenith 12/03 W.Carib

HAL Maasdam 05/04 Canada

Parking is difficult and costly in the FQ, you may not be ahead with the rental car costs and parking vs staying there? You can walk most anywhere and the public transportation is excellent. Anyway- a 5 year old probably wouldn't have any interest in a cooking school?? and may not be able to tolerate the time involved? the River boat rides are good and as mentioned the zoo and aquarium are good choices. Take the St. Charles Street car- another mode of transportation kids like.

Hi again Hoski. With your child being so young, I wouldn't consider the cooking school. One thing, if I remember correctly, they are about 1 1/2 hours long. Great for a couple, but I wonder if your little one would be bored and restless?

Everytime I'm in the Quarter (if I'm not parked at my daughter's apt.), I park on Decatur St. down near the French Market at the end of Decatur. (Decatur is the street that runs between the river and Jackson Square.)

There are parking meters all along that area, as well as side streets. Somehow, I always manage to find a spot. Just before the hour's up, BE SURE and put more money in, if you intend to stay longer. (The meter maids are 'quick' down there, and WILL give tickets!)

I park around that area if I need to run into the market, or one of the shops, or to go to Cafe du Monde for cafe au lait and beignets. (Which y'all MUST do!!! They have milk for kiddies.)

If I can think of anything else, I'll be back! icon_smile.gif

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

Oh, and there is public parking at the BIG lot to the right of JAX brewery bldg. It's also on Decatur, and is catty-corner from Jackson Square. You might want to check, but I believe it's around $6-8 for 4 hours...which is VERY cheap parking for N.O.

Festivale 1987

Carnivale 1988

Mardi Gras 1989

Pacific Princess 1990

Norway 1994

Holiday 2001

Holiday 2002

Holiday 2003

Ok guys, here is the senior moment problem. Hubby was to do the cooking class while daughter and I did Aqua tots at the Aquarium on saturday. Problem is we are leaving Saturday not sunday.

We were thinking of trying to take advantage of Harrah's free parking with 1/2 hour of gambling. Hubby will be there more than 1/2 hour while daughter and I do the Chilren's Museum.

Here is what I came up with so far and you guys can tell me my errors.

Off Holiday on thursday. Collect rental car and stuff and head to Audubon Louisiana Nature Center (close to hotel) and spend some time, head to hotel for check-in and nap. Downtown for dinner at Michaul's on St. Charles Ave and maybe a quick walk.

Friday: daughter and I go to children's museum and leave dad at Harrah's for awhile with two options for the afternoon. 1. walk and streetcar around, walk thru Riverwalk and stop by Jackson Square or head out to Bayour Sauvage Nat'l Wildlife Refuge. Planning to do The Gumbo shop for lunch.

Saturday: go home.

Fascination 1997 Destiny 2000

Victory 2000 Sensation 2001

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

NCL Dawn 2003 Inspiration 2003

Victory 2004 Holiday 2004

Archived