New York For A First Timer...

josephml1

Thanks for the advice, i am looking foward to be in your city...

am a little bit worried about transportation from the brooklyn cruise terminal to my hotel:

I have a reservation on the comfort suites in jersey,

1200 Tonnelle Ave , North Bergen, NJ, US, 07047

If this location is not good i will change it, but is cheaper than Manhatan.

Do you think i can get transportation by subway or bus????

Thanks.

Getting to NJ by bus or subway is a challenge. There is no bus or subway within easy walking distance of the red Hook Cruise terminal. This is not a good location as far as I am concerned. but I will check mapquest to see if I am right.

You would have to go to Port Authority Bus Terminal in Manhattan to get a bus to this location. Call Arecibo(7187836465) and ask what they would charge. I am pretty sure this is near the lincoln tunnel in NJ. There is a hotel in Queens that people have on this site suggested that would be much better or try a bed and breakfast in Brooklyn(Boerum Hill, Carrol Gardens or Park slope),,,,

DO NOT STAY HERE IN MY OPINION TRUCKER AND HOOKER HEAVEN

http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&searchtab=home&formtype=address&popflag=0&latitude=&longitude=&name=&phone=&level=&cat=&address=1200+Tonnelle+Ave++&city=North+Bergen++&state=NJ&zipcode=07047

I have a reservation on the comfort suites in jersey,

1200 Tonnelle Ave , North Bergen, NJ, US, 07047

What do you think about the location?

:)

pain in the neck location. try places in secaucus, lyndhurst, rutherford, east rutherford, clifton.

How about a hotel in Brooklyn? Brooklyn Heights is very nice and safe, also very close to Manhattan. Even places in Quees, like Astoria or Long Island City? I'm sure people on here can give you suggestions for good hotels in these areas.

Joseph; Don't stay in New Jersey if you wish to visit New York!!!! There must be Hotels in Manhattan that are close in price to this hotel in Bergan! First off what you'd pay in transportation and commutation would make it much more expensive than staying in NYC... Heaven only knows how you'd get back and forth and how long it would take.. If you are looking to visit the City for a few days, stay there, it's clean, it's safe and very easy to get around, either by Bus, Subway, Taxi or walking. Everyone in New York walks. Enjoy New York, and Enjoy your cruise!. I live on the other side of the Hudson and there are days when the traffic is soooo bad that you think you'll never get home.. I say again, if you are looking to VISIT New York, STAY in New York.

Ok, i see. I am going to change the hotel, thanks everyone for the advice...I am looking for not so expensive hotel around brooklyn or queens or maybe other simple place for transport...

ANY OPINION ABOUT AN HOTEL NOT VERY EXPENSIVE.¿¿¿????

Joseph; Don't stay in New Jersey if you wish to visit New York!!!! There must be Hotels in Manhattan that are close in price to this hotel in Bergan! First off what you'd pay in transportation and commutation would make it much more expensive than staying in NYC... Heaven only knows how you'd get back and forth and how long it would take.. If you are looking to visit the City for a few days, stay there, it's clean, it's safe and very easy to get around, either by Bus, Subway, Taxi or walking. Everyone in New York walks. Enjoy New York, and Enjoy your cruise!. I live on the other side of the Hudson and there are days when the traffic is soooo bad that you think you'll never get home.. I say again, if you are looking to VISIT New York, STAY in New York.

this is true only if you are staying in towns with little access to public transportation. the more i read threads here the more i wish i could just open up a hotel/parking lot just for cruisers.

and it would be in NJ.

AnJ is correct to some degree. he/she lives in fact, on the same side as NJ...but further north...and buses and trains can be a pain. however, there are posters here, like myself who can almost smell NYC (it's pretty clean, yes...but let's be honest here...there are neighborhoods that i wish had better sanitation.)

from where i live it's buses and trains galore! i understand NYer's being proud of their city, and rightly so. but it's just not in everyone's budget to stay IN THE CITY. hell if i could afford it...i'd live in manhattan.

i'm so lost on these threads. i forget who has a car...who doesn't...etc...etc.. the cost of "commutation" is not bad at all. in fact...the best scenario will always be jersey city. there are hotels there right by the Path train station...2 stations in fact! but even this scenario won't fit people's budgets.

cost of "commutation" on the Path train...$1.50 each way...all day...all night.

i guess if you can find a place online, via phone, etc...for under $100/night in nyc...and you don't mind the accomodations, that to me would be a deal. but it is my opinion that anything over $100...you start thinking of your budget more.

"commutation"...stange word...but it exists.

Certain places in Brooklyn and Queens (I know, I wrote Quees before) are very close to Manhattan and an easy and cheap commute. I would only stay there though if the hotels are significantly cheaper. There is nothing like staying in Manhattan.

I have heard a lot about the St. James Hotel and the Econolodge both around Times Square in Manhattan. Supposedly not nearly as expensive as other hotels, probably not as nice either but it's still Manhattan.

Commute or Commutation may refer to:

Commuting, the process of travelling between a place of residence and a place of work.

Zone;

I'm not quite understanding your disparaging reference to the use of the word??

this is true only if you are staying in towns with little access to public transportation. .

I am going to use public trasnportation, My cruise departs from the red Hook brooklyn cruise terminal...at the end of the cruise i will stay in NY for a couple of nights..

I am looking for a non expensive hotel near manhatan who has good public transportation to move to and from manhatan day and night after a broadway show or dinner.

:) :) :) :)

Commute or Commutation may refer to:

Commuting, the process of travelling between a place of residence and a place of work.

Zone;

I'm not quite understanding your disparaging reference to the use of the word??

yes i know...it's just a word i don't often use (or hear), for that matter. lots of words get tossed around where sometimes i question the origin. my favorite example is "conversate". apparently it does show up in the dictionary as a word. but to my ears just sounds awkward.

so as for commutation...i gotta say...first time i heard/saw that word...ever.

if only we could record statements on here. clearly my humorous tone is lost when written.

anyway...josephml1...hmmm...i guess it might just be as easy staying on the brooklyn side. i can't really suggest hotels mainly because i fall into that category of those living in the area and not really needing to stay in a hotel here.

sure i could do internet searches and post here like many have done. but seriously. i realize you are looking for the best bang for the buck.

i would suggest on the NJ side - Jersey City (specifically around Washington St...close to the Path stations of 1) Pavonia/Newport or 2) Exchange Place.

but then based on your pier location...staying on the booklyn side would not be bad either.

for absolute convenience: marriott-brooklyn bridge would get you that easy access to NYC. and it's just down a bit from your pier.

i can't really talk about price...you're on your own on that...it's very personal when it comes to budget.

if NJ appeals to you then read my previous posts.

yes i know...it's just a word i don't often use (or hear), for that matter. lots of words get tossed around where sometimes i question the origin. my favorite example is "conversate". apparently it does show up in the dictionary as a word. but to my ears just sounds awkward.

so as for commutation...i gotta say...first time i heard/saw that word...ever.

I also don't think I ever heard the word "commutation" used. It sounds a little too much like amputation.

I would stay in either Manhattan or Brooklyn, not Queens. You should either be near where you want to visit or near the port.

How much is your budget for a hotel? And when will you be here?

I am going to be there In October 20 to 24, after a cruise from Brooklyn terminal...

My budget p/n is around 150 dlls more or less...

For other places in US is a regular budget but from NY i see, that’s a Low budget.

Any suggestions?

:) :) :) :)

Interesting, I guess you guys never used th GW bridge every day for work before E-Z Pass, they used to sell commutation books.. Also Metro North sells a monthly commutation pass I think they now call it a Metro Card.. I guess my age is showing.

In all fairness to Joseph, here we are disecting the English language while poor Joseph is trying to find a place to stay and enjoy all the Tri-State area has to offer. The only thing to say is, BE SHURE THAT YOU ARE NEAR PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION. New York, New Jersey, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx; just be close enough to a train or subway.

In all fairness to Joseph, here we are disecting the English language while poor Joseph is trying to find a place to stay and enjoy all the Tri-State area has to offer. The only thing to say is, BE SHURE THAT YOU ARE NEAR PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION. New York, New Jersey, Brooklyn, Queens, Bronx; just be close enough to a train or subway.

and that's the bottom line.

josephml1...your budget is reasonable. it's the area. approx $150/night is adequate. good thing you aren't asking us to find a good pizza shop for you...now that would be a thread and a half!

as for the commutation books...i remember them very well...though i was not the user. i'd be sleeping in the backseat while my dad drove to pick up my mom from Cabrini.

Unfortunately I don't think $150 a night for Manhattan is doable. A few years ago yes but now the prices for hotels are out of control.

anything is possible...just all depends on how particular a person is. not being argumentative...just keeping the thread alive.

you at work, name game?

if its a weekend, new york hotels are less expensive on weekends than during the week.. check the Roosevelt or Edison in the theater district.. also for broadway shows, check out Broadway Box.com but only when its close to your date...

anything is possible...just all depends on how particular a person is. not being argumentative...just keeping the thread alive.

you at work, name game?

Thankfully I don't work on weekends. I was having a Saturday night at home on the computer. Aren't you M-F? The commutation fees would be less on weekends, right? :D

if its a weekend, new york hotels are less expensive on weekends than during the week.. check the Roosevelt or Edison in the theater district.. also for broadway shows, check out Broadway Box.com but only when its close to your date...

also look at http://www.playbill.com/ and join the free playbill club for ticket offers....which can be available months in advance.

at the risk of sounding like an antagonist...wouldn't wknd prices be more expensive than wkday? that's how most hotels price their rooms, right? my best example would be vegas hotels. staying during the week is cheaper than fri and sat nights...in fact sun night is usually a deal in vegas.

anyone with clarification?

at the risk of sounding like an antagonist...wouldn't wknd prices be more expensive than wkday? that's how most hotels price their rooms, right? my best example would be vegas hotels. staying during the week is cheaper than fri and sat nights...in fact sun night is usually a deal in vegas.

Depends on the hotel. Hotels that rely primarily on business travelers are generally less expensive on the weekend.

Vegas may be the exception to the rule but most of the time weekends(when business people aren't traveling0 are/is less expensive. Over the summer obviously resort areas are more expensive on the weekends but in general weekend specials are less expensive than weekdays.

$150 a night is a low budget hotel in NY.

This is the closest to your price range I can suggest, the Cosmopolitan in Tibeca that might be better than a one star hotel:

http://www.cosmohotel.com/info/index.html

The problem is once you hit the weeknights, the prices skyrocket due to business travelers.

Have you considered maybe staying only two nights and spending more for a hotel? That might make your stay much more enjoyable.