New York For A First Timer...

josephml1

We are sailing the Caribbean Princess out of Brooklyn on Sept 12 2009. Never been to the great city and really excited.

What airport should we fly into? We are wanting to stay in an area so we can do some exploring for a couple days precruise and we want to pay our respects at ground zero. Any ideas? Maybe somewhere in Manhattan. Prefer a hotel that is nice and in walkign distance to some sights. Not worried about traveling to the ship terminal, would rather stay where we want to sight-see and travel to the ship, as opposed to the opposite.

I have enjoyed reading this thread.

thank you

Teresa in Texas

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Joseph, I am so glad you had such a great time in my wonderful hometown. Thanks for taking the time to let us know how it went. Seems that you hit a lot of the highlights, but as you said you could spend 3000 years and not see everything!:D

This has been a great read, but maybe it's time for updated information for us that are coming into NYC for the first time this October.

The ship leaves from Red Hook and we are planning on having a full day before she leaves to explore NY. Would anyone recommend us booking a hotel in the city, maybe near a stop on the Grey Line or other tour lines that might have parking for our car that night and then we would drive to Red Hook in the morning and park the car there for the week.

Any thoughts?

Grego,

Start a new thread and post your question. Give us the exact dates you want to be in NY and some idea of a budget and what you want to do in NY.

Once you decide where you want to stay, the car parking can be resolved. The best thing to do with a car in Manhattan is to park it and go around by walking or public transportation. You may want to consider staying in one of the hotels on the other side of the Lincoln Tunnel in Secaucus, NJ. Parking would be free and you can take a quick 15 minute bus ride into the Port Authority Bus Terminal at 40th & 8th, which is only one avenue from Times Square. Driving to Red Hook on the morning of your cruise should be no problem.

Grego,

Start a new thread and post your question. Give us the exact dates you want to be in NY and some idea of a budget and what you want to do in NY.

Once you decide where you want to stay, the car parking can be resolved. The best thing to do with a car in Manhattan is to park it and go around by walking or public transportation. You may want to consider staying in one of the hotels on the other side of the Lincoln Tunnel in Secaucus, NJ. Parking would be free and you can take a quick 15 minute bus ride into the Port Authority Bus Terminal at 40th & 8th, which is only one avenue from Times Square. Driving to Red Hook on the morning of your cruise should be no problem.

Very nice advice. I'll start a thread and see what information I can use.

Joseph, I am so glad you had such a great time in my wonderful hometown. Thanks for taking the time to let us know how it went. Seems that you hit a lot of the highlights, but as you said you could spend 3000 years and not see everything!:D

Yes, it is a great city I am planning to be there again this year...

Not sure about the dates yet:(;)

• 5 months later...
I am going to be there very soon..Dec.I need an advice about where is the best place to stay in the winter months and what to do for this holiday season...

Thank you all

Joseph, it wouldn't be Christmas in NY without checking out all the holiday decorations in all the big Department stores. Of course you need to see the tree at Rockefeller Center and the ice skaters. This is all for free. You should also see about getting discount tickets to the Radio City Christmas Spectacular. Everyone should see it once.:)

Joseph, it wouldn't be Christmas in NY without checking out all the holiday decorations in all the big Department stores. Of course you need to see the tree at Rockefeller Center and the ice skaters. This is all for free. You should also see about getting discount tickets to the Radio City Christmas Spectacular. Everyone should see it once.:)

I am looking forward to be in NYC this time of year..Thanks again for taking the time to post in this thread...

• 8 years later...
Excellent thread...my first time on CC, I just read this thread and it is great...

One question I will be in NYC in the end of November, any good broadway play I should see?

Also if I have to choose only one museum what would be?

thx.:D

Keep in mind that this is almost a 9 year old thread. Try creating a new thread with your specific question.

• 3 weeks later...