Dead Horse Question

sjohnson529

IF Carnival designated one dining room for resort casual/formal, and one for "wear whatever the he!! you want, which would you go to? Also, if there is only one dining room (as in some ships) but different times, and one time was resort casual/formal and the other "wear whatever the he11 you wanted", again, which one would you choose? And Why?

To answer your question. I would probabley attend both. Depending on if I want to dress up or not.......

But then again I don't see anything changing. Because Carnival does not have a problem.....they are enforcing it fine...

Thank you Kurbanfan for answering in a civilized fashion. It amazes me that the amount of people that pretend they don't want to talk about this anymore are the ones that are looking. I have been a member of this forum for years. I relocated from Florida recently and couldn't remember my old name and password so I had to rejoin. I have been shocked at how "new" posters are treated in some of these threads. I've been on CC cruises in the past and know a few of these people, although these days I'm ashamed to admit it. I will not ever start another thread. Ever. I may not even post anymore. This is supposed to be a board for sharing, learning and talking about something we all love. Apparently those values have changed. Again, thank you Kurbanfan, you have always been extremely nice and helpful. As has Fred and a few others.

Thank you Kurbanfan for answering in a civilized fashion. It amazes me that the amount of people that pretend they don't want to talk about this anymore are the ones that are looking. I have been a member of this forum for years. I relocated from Florida recently and couldn't remember my old name and password so I had to rejoin. I have been shocked at how "new" posters are treated in some of these threads. I've been on CC cruises in the past and know a few of these people, although these days I'm ashamed to admit it. I will not ever start another thread. Ever. I may not even post anymore. This is supposed to be a board for sharing, learning and talking about something we all love. Apparently those values have changed. Again, thank you Kurbanfan, you have always been extremely nice and helpful. As has Fred and a few others.

Didn't mean to be rude........sorry:)

sj, I actually think it's a unique way to ask that question. Made me think ... my decision is that although I prefer the more formal dining option; perhaps the casual dining room could have those red/white/blue things and other activities like that.

I really miss the old fashioned dining room experience. Some of us want to hold on for dear life! hahaha.

Thank you moon, that's what I was trying to do, put a different spin on it. I know we're all tired of the same ole' crap. But it's never going to go away and so I thought I'd try something new. Jokes on me I guess.

Here's the thing. I have learned that the ones that complain the most about the dress codes are far and few. It's the same couple people all the time.:rolleyes: They can't change it and it infuriates them.....

I just don't like people getting the wrong info on what you can and can't do on a cruise....

We have been cruising for 10 years far more many years then I have known about cc. And since I have been here I can't tell you how many times people are givin mis information.....

But don't get me wrong there is lots of good info too...I have learned lots....

My opinion the ports of call board is the best....

Sjohnson you are an experience cruiser with great info....don't let a few nimrods stop you from helping others:)

IF Carnival designated one dining room for resort casual/formal, and one for "wear whatever the he!! you want, which would you go to? Also, if there is only one dining room (as in some ships) but different times, and one time was resort casual/formal and the other "wear whatever the he11 you wanted", again, which one would you choose? And Why?
The problem with this question and the other poll is the wording. The other poll option is "NO - let everyone in, regardless of what they are wearing".

Now for me, I wouldn't mind a less formal dining room, but the wording here has me thinking I'd be seated with someone in a dirty sleeveless t-shirt and dirty cut-offs with holes in the crotch ;).

I don't have a problem with someone wearing clean jeans and a decent shirt on a non-formal night (sorry, it just doesn't bother me). And while I'd prefer not having to wear a suit to eat in the dining room on formal night, I don't think I'm ready for an "anything goes" dining experience. Something a bit less formal, yes. An "anything goes" rule..... naw, I'm not ready for what that might open up.

So to answer your question, I guess I'll stick with the current dining room dress request and live with wearing a suit for a couple of nights.

John

I like the idea of a 1 or 2 formal nights, but for the rest of the cruise I dont want to dress up. On non formal nights I say anything decent should be allowed. What is decent? Not shorts, bathing suits, or torn, tacky clothes. Nice pants, capris, even denim are ok to me. Most of us Texans probably see jeans as sem-formal! lol;) I was always under the impression that the buffet is for "whatever you want to wear". I say keep it like it is but allow nice denim on non formal nights.

I would stick to the nicer dining room option. I am more relaxed, less like "gotta get going and get outta here" when I'm dressed nicer. I feel like dining onboard is an experience - being waited on, trying new things, chatting about the day and night. If I'm sitting next to someone in raggy cutoffs, the atmosphere becomes a lot less special, more like McDs than a nice restaurant. And I DEFINITELY don't need to be sitting next to someone whose body hair is sprouting around their tank top. eek!

I actually suggested something like this to Triumph's Matri'D last week. Triumph has 2 dinning rooms, London and Paris. I suggested they designate one as open seating no dress code....just like breakfast. The second dinning room would remain traditional...2 seatings and dress code. He told me Carnival had implemented it on one ship, but abandonded it after receiving too many complaints about poor service. Seems that if the wait staff is married to a table and the same guests they tend to provide better service.

I like the idea of a 1 or 2 formal nights, but for the rest of the cruise I dont want to dress up. On non formal nights I say anything decent should be allowed. What is decent? Not shorts, bathing suits, or torn, tacky clothes. Nice pants, capris, even denim are ok to me. Most of us Texans probably see jeans as sem-formal! lol;) I was always under the impression that the buffet is for "whatever you want to wear". I say keep it like it is but allow nice denim on non formal nights.

They do:)

Oh glad to hear that denim is allowed on non formal dinners because dh will want to wear nice jeans and shirt on those nights. I think on our first cruise he wore khakis because I was too afraid of him being under dressed!

Resort Casual/Formal - hands down. I am sick of people trying to change things to justify their own needs. If you were cruising 20 years ago, this wouldn't even be a topic of conversation....

If I gave offense, I apologize.

This scenario already exists.

• Resort/Formal = Dining rooms
  • Wear whatever = buffets

Also, I think the second option of one dining room would be unfeasible, due to the fact that it would be difficult to predict turnout at each time. One could become very lopsided.

Steve

lkfdeuihfuk diiojfidkokod; dsgrsdsgfsfgs hdhdhgdchgd

(Banging my head on the keyboard)

The get busy livin, (from Shawshank) is my most fave saying..even on my umpteenth class reunion "words of wisdom...After Brain surgery 10 yrs ago, and heart 5 yrs ago..it makes sence to me!

Oh glad to hear that denim is allowed on non formal dinners !

Some think it is bad etiquette.

I personally don't care if people wear Jeans on non formal evenings, just not torn raggetty ones.

I myself don't wear jeans pants in the dining room but i do wear jean skirts and capri's.

Is the OP'er implying that service and guest treatment will differ between the two rooms? If I can get multi-course meals and 3-star service while in my khakis and polos, that's a no-brainer -- I'm going to the informal one. If I have to dress up to get that service, well, then I'm trying another cruiseline.

(Disclaimer: I DO pack a jacket and tie -- though not a tuxedo -- for formal nights. But I wouldn't if I could avoid it without being made to feel like a reprobate.)

Archived