Getting to Mariner from Orlando

Does anyone have any recommendations on what they're doing or have done in the past to get to Port Canaveral from Orlando airport? Is Orlando the closest to Port Canaveral? I have 6 in my group, so renting a car is pretty much out of the question.:confused:

We are a family of five, and we ARE renting a car...it appeared less expensive. I would check out the cost (with discounts) for renting a larger SUV type that would easily handle 6 plus luggage, and compare that to per person fees of contracting a limo/van. (It was cheaper for us to do the rental car from Budget) We are arriving a day ahead, so it also gives us the added convenience of driving around.

David:D

We rented a large SUV (Ford Expedition - brand new with only 8 miles on it) through Avis last week at the Orlando Airport. We were a family of 5 with a lot of luggage, and it worked out great for us. The port was an easy and quick (under an hour) drive from the airport.

Enjoy your cruise!

We always come in at least a day early and rent from AVIS. Very convenient and COST EFFECTIVE!

We arrived a day early, rented through Avis and stayed Saturday night at the Residence Inn at the port. It was flawless.

We have rented a car twice from Budget. They had very good rates, last time was $54 for a midsize for 2 days, if you book online and use discount codes (do a google search for "budget coupon codes"). They have an office very close to the port and will shuttle you over to the ship for free. The Mariner is a great ship and I am sad to see it leave the East coast. Have fun on your cruise.

First of all...yes. Orlando (MCO) is the closest airport to Port Canaveral. As for transportation a lot has to do with when you're arriving and how much time you have. If you want to try hiring a car or service, there is one called triptotheship.com that I've heard great things about. They specialize in getting people to Port Canaveral from MCO and have towncars and vans available. IMO, I would recommend that course if your flight is arriving late the day before your cruise or actually on your departure date. That way you don't have to worry about turning the car back in, etc. If you get to Orlando a few days earlier, I'd check out the rental agencies for a good deal. Just my opinion, of course. Whatever you decide, have a GREAT cruise!!!

Freddie

The one-way car rental worked out great for us last year. We booked Budget online ahead of time, and since we drove around the night before looking for dinner and a place to buy booze :eek: it was very convenient. Rate was cheaper than the two of us getting on one of the transport shuttles. It may depend on how many people are in your group and if you want to do any other exploring/sightseeing. I believe you can rent larger SUVs or a van through Budget, and I would imagine any of the other rental agencies. Good luck.

I've done a little leg work on this one, as we are in the same boat. (hahahaha)... <cough>.. sorry

We are a family of 5. We are flying in a day before, and staying at the Country Inn and Suites near the port.

When I looked at 3 different rental agencies that have vehicles large enough for 5 of us and our luggage, I found that the 1 day rental rate (we need the car less than 24 hours, so it's a 1 day rental) ranged from $75-$93.00 before taxes, etc. Let's call that a $200 rental including our return rental after the cruise.

The cost for a private service to take us from the airport and back ranges from $200 for a Ford Club Wagon van to $280 for a stretch limo :cool:

Relatively speaking, it's a no brainer for me. With the limo service coming with the meet and greet at the airport, we simply look for a driver holding our name on this placard, and we follow him. No car rental check in, no finding our car.. no car drop off, nothing..

After the cruise, I dont need to catch the shuttle to the car rental location in port canaveral to get my car, I just look for the driver again.. hop in the limo, and back to the airport.

The cost is the same, or ~$80 more for a strech limo:cool:

Now, if you can get a car big enough for you that costs significantly less, you can save some money since the limo acencies charge not by the person, but by the trip. Although, you can get a ride in a town car for up to 4 ppl with luggage for $160 return.

I've done a little leg work on this one, as we are in the same boat. (hahahaha)... <cough>.. sorry

We are a family of 5. We are flying in a day before, and staying at the Country Inn and Suites near the port.

When I looked at 3 different rental agencies that have vehicles large enough for 5 of us and our luggage, I found that the 1 day rental rate (we need the car less than 24 hours, so it's a 1 day rental) ranged from $75-$93.00 before taxes, etc. Let's call that a $200 rental including our return rental after the cruise.

The cost for a private service to take us from the airport and back ranges from $200 for a Ford Club Wagon van to $280 for a stretch limo :cool:

Relatively speaking, it's a no brainer for me. With the limo service coming with the meet and greet at the airport, we simply look for a driver holding our name on this placard, and we follow him. No car rental check in, no finding our car.. no car drop off, nothing..

After the cruise, I dont need to catch the shuttle to the car rental location in port canaveral to get my car, I just look for the driver again.. hop in the limo, and back to the airport.

The cost is the same, or ~$80 more for a strech limo:cool:

Now, if you can get a car big enough for you that costs significantly less, you can save some money since the limo acencies charge not by the person, but by the trip. Although, you can get a ride in a town car for up to 4 ppl with luggage for $160 return.

A towncar holds 5. We always use a towncar and have had 3 adults and 2 kids with 8 pieces of luggage plus stroller in a town car. :D

Like I said above...Florida Towncar Service - 5 in a Lincoln Towncar (2 sit up front, 3 in the back) - $160 round trip

http://www.floridatowncar.com/

A towncar holds 5. We always use a towncar and have had 3 adults and 2 kids with 8 pieces of luggage plus stroller in a town car. :D

Like I said above...Florida Towncar Service - 5 in a Lincoln Towncar (2 sit up front, 3 in the back) - $160 round trip

http://www.floridatowncar.com/

Sure, don't laugh at my "same boat" pun :D

Michelle, you responded to a post I put up a month or so ago, and suggested the same thing. I sent them an email and said we would have 5 large pieces of luggage, and 3-4 smaller (airline carryone size) ones. They said their towncar is not suited for all that stuff, and suggested I go larger.

Not to harp on the point, but I can imagine 6 people (with driver) stuffed into a Lincoln Towncar is a little tight. After all, the middle front person will be stuffed right beside the driver, no?

But, for $20 more we get a E150 ClubWagon (ooooooooo, I can hear you scowls of jealosy). Or, for a bit more, I splurge and surprise DW and 3 sons with a stretch limo (I am heavily leaning towards this option). for the $100 more, return, I get to ride in a stretch! :cool:

The car rental worked well for us, because we checked in to the Residence Inn a little before 5:00 on Saturday, and were able to go for a drive, explore the Cocoa Beach area and find a place for dinner.

I think this is an important point. It really depends on what you plan to do before and after the cruise -- if you're just headed straight for the port, or straight to your hotel and don't plan on leaving again, it probably makes sense to use the limo/shuttle option. But I really like the flexibility of being able to go find a restaurant, or a drugstore for the one or two items I inevitably forgot to pack. ;) So, different strokes for different folks.

Ain't it great to have options? :)

The limo sounds like a great option for the 6 of us. Can you tell me what company you are using, contact info or web address. Thanks for all the ideas!

Between many trips to Disney and cruising on the Mariner, we have used Tiffany Towncar for all our transportation. They have many different size vehicles from regular towncars up to large vans and stretch limos, a size and price for everyone. They have always been reliable and courteous, and I don't hesitate to recommend them. They will even stop for a 20 minute grocery store visit - just request it when you book.

Archived