What size table do you choose: 2? 10?

HeatherInFlorida

How many people at your dinner table?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. How many people at your dinner table?

• A cozy table for 2?
    • A conversational 4-6?
    • The more the merrier 8-10?
    • Avoid the Dining Room altogether!

Okay throttle me if you've done this already, but I couldn't find it. Another thread got me thinking about preferences for dining. Do you like to dine just the 2 of you? Or do you aim for 8 or 10?

Our preference is the more the merrier and always ask for a table for 8 or 10. The day will come, I'm sure, when it might not work out for us. But it's been a huge success for us so far and we get to know people that we otherwise might never have met.

DH and I sit down for dinner every single night ... just the 2 of us and we love it. I make a nice dinner, light the candles and we "dine". So when we go on a cruise we just love the camaraderie of so many wonderful people.

So tell us what you like to do!:)

I totally agree with you regarding large tables. I always request one. I feel that people that ask for a table for 2 (I know some people will disagree) are missing out on a big part of the cruising experience. We have met the nicest people and have even kept in touch with some of them. Although you occassionally wind up with a ding dong or 2, it is worth the chance. Even when we go in for an open seating meal we ask to sit with others.

We have been on MANY cruises. The only picture I insist on buying anymore is the one they take of your entire dinner dining table. That always brings back fond memories of that particular cruise and the interesting people we have met.

On my two cruises we've had tables of 6 and 8 and have always been lucky to have nice people to dine with. I wouldn't want a table for four. If you don't hit it off with the other couple then it's awkward every night. With a table of 8 or 10, even if there's one couple with whom you don't have much in common, there's always the other two or three couples.

Hi Heather:)....being as I sail solo....definitely a large table! I might enjoy my own company:D ...but not for dinner on a cruiseship;)

I do go out to dinner on my own here at home....not a problem.....but I love meeting people and (I can only speak for myself)......dinnertime is one of the best parts of the entire cruise experience:)!

I have been pretty lucky.......only one cruise was it not up to my expectations....long story....:eek:

On our last cruise we had a table for eight, and we agreed to change seats every night. Sometimes with larger tables, if you are stuck at one end the whole cruise, you don't really get to talk with everyone. We've always been lucky in having tablemates we enjoyed spending time with.

I like the bigger tables too.

Always was fortunate to have nice tablemates, The last cruise we went on we were with a large group of friends so we WERE the two adjoining tables for 10 *LOL*

I agree meeting people at the dinner table is a very nice part of the cruiseing experience. And with a larger table, even if there are one or two people at the table you may not get along with, There will be at least a few more you will have fun with.

THE MORE THE MERRIER :)

On our last cruise we had a table for eight, and we agreed to change seats every night. Sometimes with larger tables, if you are stuck at one end the whole cruise, you don't really get to talk with everyone. We've always been lucky in having tablemates we enjoyed spending time with.

That's what we did on the Maasdam last November. We had a table for 10 and 2 couples were travelling together. We had a huge round table (my absolute favorite!) and closed the dining room every night:D We are still emailing with everyone at that table and when one couple from Canada visited Florida last Spring they came to see us. So many happy memories from that cruise.

Lois, someday you have to tell us your story;) .

I agree, DH and I always say the dinner "hour" on a cruise is one of the high points. This is one of the reasons I stick to the more traditional cruises ... although those are starting to spin out to more dining choices as well. But I stay away from the "freestyle" ... just not our cup of tea.

Couldn't agree more also, Orcone.

Cruising solo also. Like to meet as many people as I can. :D

Still correspond with all the tablemates I had on the GLORY a year ago. A singles table with everything from a NBC tv producer to a travel agent with 83 cruises, no shortage on life experiences and fun.

Incidentally, the travel agent is the man that suggested the Vista-class ships of HAL as a future cruise I might like. :)

I can understand, however, someone traveling with their wife and/or lover might want the intimacy of a table for two.

I have always requested a table for 6 or more and it has always worked out very well (for us, at least, can't speak for our table mates, though:D ) and we have again requested large tables on our upcoming cruises. I can see a table for two if the cruise is a special getaway for a couple that can't spend a lot of quality time together in their "normal" lives, but for us meeting new people is as much a part of the cruise adventure as seeing new places.

.....I can understand, however, someone traveling with their wife and/or lover might want the intimacy of a table for two.
Hmmmmmmm;) ....now this calls for yet another poll. How many cruise with their wife and lover ... or are they one in the same? :D KIDDING!!!!

Yes, Lois, majority rules. Start tapping those keys and tell your story:)

Heather

its really not as hard as you may think

You arrange the early seating dinner with your wife and the late seating with your lover. When you finish eating first ............

OH YOU SAID YOU WERE KIDDING .......

SORRY *LOL*:) :) :)

Heather

its really not as hard as you may think

You arrange the early seating dinner with your wife and the late seating with your lover. When you finish eating first ............

OH YOU SAID YOU WERE KIDDING .......

SORRY *LOL*:) :) :)

ROTFL!!! Now that's funny!!! You have no idea how you cracked me up!:D :D

Large table for us. We've been very lucky to have interesting tablemates on all our cruises. Even at times when one couple seemed distant, we could enjoy the others. We generally dine in the alternative restaurant at least once, and there we enjoy a table by ourselves. So it's the best of both worlds, so to speak.

hi, normally I would tell you the story, but I don't feel comfortable discussing it on here~even though it was a long time ago.

I am hoping you will respect my wishes and lets just say I was disappointed~

the rest of my cruise was fabulous though:D

LOIS

We certainly understand, It sounded like it would be one of those annoying , but funny now that you look back on it stories. But if it is something that you are uncomfortable talking about, I (and I am sure everyone here) respects your feelings.

You are a very dear member of this crazy group :) and we would never want to put you in that situation :)

Of course we shall respect your wishes.

But how about offering up another story you feel better about? You are alot of fun and seem adventurous and happy to enjoy yourself. Maybe you can think of a funny story about something you enjoyed when cruising?

thanks:) I appreciate it.....part of it was annoying. But more disappointing than anything else:( ....

Time to move on........hoping I get a great table next month:D

I much prefer the larger tables. Meeting new people is one of the neat things about cruising, and I find it helpful to do that at the dinner table. Hence, a table for 8 has always been my preference.

Have we had duds at our table? Yes. One couple didn't interact much ... just sat and ate and pretty much ignored the the other 6 people at the table. But ... we had fun, and we tried to include them. They just were not interested.

We like a large table. We are retired and eat with each other all the time so we enjoy meeting other people. We have never had a bad table, although some groups are better than others. Our best table group was on Statendam at a table for ten at the bottom of the stairs. The age group spanned 30's to 70's and both political parties and we had a ball and changed seats nightly.

Archived