What size table do you choose: 2? 10?

HeatherInFlorida

How many people at your dinner table?  

155 members have voted

1. 1. How many people at your dinner table?

• A cozy table for 2?
    • A conversational 4-6?
    • The more the merrier 8-10?
    • Avoid the Dining Room altogether!

Lois, there are ways to tell a story so that you protect the "innocent", but certainly if you feel uncomfortable we would never force you:) .

I'll tell a funny story. Well, funny on us in a way. We were cruising out of New York to Bermuda and had chosen a table for 8. I am always terribly nervous the first day of a cruise. Maybe our table will be in a lousy location, maybe nobody will like us, maybe it will rain, be cold, you name it:D .

I wasn't thrilled with the location of our round table away in a corner by an emergency exit, but said nothing. That was before the days when I pipe up and talk with the Maitre d' to change our location.

So first night out we make our way to an empty table. No one joins us. Time marches on and still no one arrives. It's one thing to choose a table for 2; quite another to be alone at a table for 8. Tables are filled up; people are laughing and chatting and we are totally alone.

I ask our server "Is anyone else coming?" and he says he will check. The Maitre d' arrives and tells us "no problem ... I will find you someone".

Find us someone???!!! Now my mind races. Maybe our tablemates started toward us and were so horrified that they begged for alternative seating! Mind you, this is not rational thinking. We really are quite satisfactory ... in fact DH is drop dead gorgeous.

We are told that the ship is full so there should be people at our table. Finally they usher over one couple. And much later another. It turned out that these were all people who had wanted first sitting and were forced into late.

Like Lois, I'm uncomfortable going into further details about them (amusing as it would be), but suffice to say this was not our favorite dining experience:( . At least, however, we did not dine alone at a table for 8 for the entire cruise.

Heather

That is too funny *LOL*

Not that you sat all alone at that big table, but the image of people walking toward the table, seeing you and saying "AHHHHHH think we'll eat on Lido" and turning around *LOL* Just teaseing

I am sure that must have been upsetting, glad you did end up getting table mates though :)

Heather

That is too funny *LOL*

Not that you sat all alone at that big table, but the image of people walking toward the table, seeing you and saying "AHHHHHH think we'll eat on Lido" and turning around *LOL* Just teaseing

I am sure that must have been upsetting, glad you did end up getting table mates though :)

Vicar, glad you got in a chuckle at my expense;) . Even worse than you think because these were the days before you could go to the Lido for dinner. If you wanted dinner you either ate in your room or sat at your table. So we would have had to look pretty bad:eek:

We always choose a table for 2. Surprisingly, this does not in any way limit the number of people we meet on a cruise. We meet people in lounges, on tours, at shows and - at other DR tables!

What the table for 2 does, though, is allow us to choose the people we want to spend time with rather than have the ship do it for us. Too often I've seen tables for 8-10 which are full the first night, then dwindle each subsequent night. Until, sadly, there's only one couple left on the last night. It does look like some people's cruise wasn't the best.

When you meet people outside of the DR, then you can quickly determine your compatibility and move on (politely) from those who - for whatever reason - don't "mesh" with you. That can't happen at the dinner table.

My wife and I prefer a table for 6, round if possible. We find a round table for six is great for conversations.

Bigger than that, and it is sometimes difficult to converse with everyone.

On rare occasion, a table for four is good - but should you be stuck with the wrong couple, not so hot. (Of course, they might feel the same way about us)

Michael

A table for 8 is perfect. Ten is a bit too large, especially in a large, noisy room. I can never hear or talk with the folks all the way across from me, and I'm not even old and deaf yet! :rolleyes: Changing seats every night would help this, but I know it's more difficult for the wait staff to keep track of everybody's preferences that way.

If I travel by myself or with my son I would choose bigger table, don't care 8 or 12.

If we travel with my DH I request 2 for 2 of us or 4 for 3 of us.

Main reason :Usually when my DH starts conversation with others I deel the urge to correct his English.. I know it's not polite :( but I can't stop myself.

Thankfully we never run out of conversations. :)

A table for 8 is perfect. Ten is a bit too large, especially in a large, noisy room. I can never hear or talk with the folks all the way across from me, and I'm not even old and deaf yet! :rolleyes: Changing seats every night would help this, but I know it's more difficult for the wait staff to keep track of everybody's preferences that way.

We've done it - our steward didn't seem to mind at all, in fact he played along with us! We had a wonderful time at our table for eight and at our table for six.

If I travel by myself or with my son I would choose bigger table, don't care 8 or 12.

If we travel with my DH I request 2 for 2 of us or 4 for 3 of us.

Main reason :Usually when my DH starts conversation with others I deel the urge to correct his English.. I know it's not polite :( but I can't stop myself.

Thankfully we never run out of conversations. :)

Tatka:

I don't think anyone would mind conversing with your DH, regardless of how well he does or doesn't speak English... :(

Are you sure you won't reconsider? Your family sounds fascinating and we'd love to have you at our table anytime!

Tatka:

I don't think anyone would mind conversing with your DH, regardless of how well he does or doesn't speak English... :(

Are you sure you won't reconsider? Your family sounds fascinating and we'd love to have you at our table anytime!

Thank you. :)

I'll think definitely think about this for my future cruises.

During our Med cruise we had table for 2 but table next to us was for 10 or 12 people... They had so much fun! One of the guys there was telling tons of funny stories! The other was world traveler and was sharing his experiences.

I had one so-so experience... Last year on Century we had a table:

1) Family of 4 (with 2 boys: age 8 and 11),

2) Mother and 11 years old girl, Me and my 11 years old.

3) Family of four was really nice but quite people. We still had nice conversations but they would never initiate them.

Mother (with daughter) was a nice lady ( former school teacher and at that moment beauty consultant) and we spent some really nice time by the pool together.

Problem during dinner was..this women (although very interesting in conversations) was very upset about "quiet" family. She was telling me how she always had to start conversations and talk to them.

I didn't really feel comfortable as I don't like to discuss other people behind their back etc.

We will probably always select a table for two if it's available. I enjoy meeting new people and don't mind making small talk, but my husband hates it. We had an unpleasant group dining experience at a resort several years ago where we were seated with three other couples, none of whom seemed interested in talking, and barely responded when I iniated a conversation. We ate as quickly as we could and chose alternate dining the rest of the time! :D

Tatka

I also agree

You are a lovely person and you and your family would be wonderful tablemates :)

Okay, Vicar, I agree. Tatka does seem to be a really lovely person. But I have a question. I told my long sad story about nobody showing up at our table and you LOL just picturing it. So how come I wasn't treated to a nice comment like this?? I sure could have used a nice "Heather, you can sit with us anytime", but noooooo..... just laugh laugh laugh at my expense.

;) .....I'm kidding.

I agree with Dave. Table for 2 for us. Even though we're officially empty-nesters, we don't often get to dine leisurely alone-at least not so often we don't appreciate it onboard!

Vicar..Heather got you on that one:D ....Ok..my next table.....Vicar and Gf....Heather and Hubby......Tatka, Hubby, Son....and Me:D Now, that is a nice table of 8:)

[quote name='Lois R']Vicar..Heather got you on that one:D ....Ok..my next table.....Vicar and Gf....Heather and Hubby......Tatka, Hubby, Son....and Me:D Now, that is a nice table of 8:)[/QUOTE]Okay, Lois, that's great and thanks:D !! But don't forget that Vicar said he's bringing his wife and his lover. One will eat at early sitting and the other at late. So we have to decide which one we want at our table. Or shall we take the 2 women and let Vicar eat alone:D ?

[quote name='HeatherInFlorida'][/size][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Okay, Vicar, I agree. Tatka does seem to be a really lovely person. But I have a question. I told my long sad story about nobody showing up at our table and you LOL just picturing it. So how come I wasn't treated to a nice comment like this?? I sure could have used a nice "Heather, you can sit with us anytime", but noooooo..... just laugh laugh laugh at my expense.[/size][/font]

;) .....[font=Comic Sans MS][size=1]I'm kidding.[/size][/font][/QUOTE]

Heather -

I felt sorry for you! You can come sit with us... Vicar, Lois and Tatka too!

Wouldn't it be fun to get more of us all on the same cruise? What a barrel of laughs that would be!

I get a table for the amount of people in my group. When our 2 daughters and their husbands go wtih us, I get a table for 6. Last time it was just DH and I, so I got a table for 2. The reason: I meet people in other venues. I used to ask for large tables and we sat around waiting for them to finish their courses or double courses while we maybe ate less or fewer courses. We enjoyed talking to them, but we prefer to plan our time and leave the dining room when we are done eating at our own pace. Last cruise we talked to people at tables around us and had fun.

Ok...guys/gals... You are so nice and it's almost a dinner time. Lets eat together! :D (Should we book cruise together and check how we get along? ;) I am sure it would be fun!)

(And you know [b]HeatherInFlorida [/b]I feel bad stealing (i hope not!) all attention, I wasn't trying too...They are just trying to make me feel better about our language barrier, and I really appriciate that :) )

Heather

of course I would love to sit with you and DH. And I hope you know I was teaseing *LOL*

Man we would need one heck of a long table in that dining room , so many great people here I would love to be seated with.

Tatka...you are too modest:) ...you are a big part of this forum...just as Heather is too:D
And you didn't "steal all the attention"!...........don't even worry about it!

Anyway...Heather...not sure if we should make Vicar eat by himself...naaaa...he is too nice...he can sit with us:D
And ekerr you too!!!
Yes, this would be a fun group.....and Vicar...no rectangular tables..please! A round one would be the best way!

Oh a round table is definately the best way to go :)

Thank you Lois for saying I am nice and that I can sit and eat with you all. I will tell you what I won't bring my wife or my lover on this trip. However my *creative consultant* may be waiting for me on the Lido deck *LOL*

KIDDING >>>KIDDING >>>>KIDDING :)

........creative consultant????? Not sure I even want to go there:D :eek:

Hmmm.....and I was going to buy a bottle of Pinot Grigio for the table;) ....not sure you need any wine........LOL LOL LOL:D :D

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=navy]Tatka, not to worry!!! I was just teasing Vicar. I wasn't the least upset ... just having fun with everyone.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=navy]Yes a round table is the way to go. On our last Maasdam we had 10 at a round table and it worked great. We moved around every night, but we still managed to be conversational with everyone across the table. Not sure how our neighboring tables liked it though;) !!![/color][/size][/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS][size=3][color=navy]Yes, we should all go together. We can't tell DH because I think he worries about me on these boards so much. He doesn't do computer or internet at all so he thinks it's sort of like a secret society:D . LOL. I love it, think it's great fun and it saves all that money I'd be spending if I were out shopping:) .[/color][/size][/font]

Archived