Cigar smoker question

dlburns36

I enjoy a fine cigar while I am on vacation; my question pertains to packing them to take aboard the ship. I will put them in my travel humidor in my checked luggage, or....should I carry them on?

Also, I have a cutter and lighter that I bring with me, will I have problems getting them on board in my checked luggage?

I know that some folks are adverse to cigar smoke, Any places on the ship that I can smoke without bothering others?

Thanks

Dave

I enjoy a fine cigar while I am on vacation; my question pertains to packing them to take aboard the ship. I will put them in my travel humidor in my checked luggage, or....should I carry them on?

Also, I have a cutter and lighter that I bring with me, will I have problems getting them on board in my checked luggage?

I know that some folks are adverse to cigar smoke, Any places on the ship that I can smoke without bothering others?

Thanks

Dave

I know on the Grand class ships have a bar where they also sell cigars. I do not recall the name. If you are flying, you should place your cutter in your check luggage. I believe lighters are not allowed on board planes.

As far a boarding the ship. You may want to place the cutter in your checked luggage. You will not have problem with the lighter. As far as what to do with the humidor. I do not have a clue as I do not smoke.

I know on the Grand class ships have a bar where they also sell cigars. I do not recall the name. If you are flying, you should place your cutter in your check luggage. I believe lighters are not allowed on board planes.

As far a boarding the ship. You may want to place the cutter in your checked luggage. You will not have problem with the lighter. As far as what to do with the humidor. I do not have a clue as I do not smoke.

We are on the Dawn leaving for Alaska on Tuesday. Fortunately we will not have to fly as we live in San Jose.

So I can carry the lighter on with me, or do I check it?

Thanks

Dave

We are on the Dawn leaving for Alaska on Tuesday. Fortunately we will not have to fly as we live in San Jose.

So I can carry the lighter on with me, or do I check it?

Thanks

Dave

You will go through a TSA security type deal. I do not know if they are actually TSA employees or work through an outside contract. As I mentioned before, I do not smoke. With that in mind, I was able to board with my carry on having nail clippers, metal nail files, plenty of soda, medical kit, etc. I do not foresee you having any problems with a small lighter. But again, this is based on my opinion and not from past experience.

You will need a lighter case that conforms DOT-SP 14327 and may be

transported in checked baggage. You can buy one at Cigars International.

I used the case last February with no proplems.

As far as the cutter, I put that in checked luggage also with no problems.

Steve

Thanks

Dave

Dave, I put them in my travel humidor and just check them...and I do bring cigars when I cruise. The lighter will be a problem. The lighter case Steve suggests will allow you to get a lighter in your checked luggage, but they are a monstrosity at about 3" in diameter x 9" long....all for a lighter. As far as where you can smoke, a cigar lounge like Churchills or in your cabin are the only legal places to have one onboard. You may be able to find a quiet little corner someplace up on deck away from everyone.

Dave, I put them in my travel humidor and just check them...and I do bring cigars when I cruise. The lighter will be a problem. The lighter case Steve suggests will allow you to get a lighter in your checked luggage, but they are a monstrosity at about 3" in diameter x 9" long....all for a lighter. As far as where you can smoke, a cigar lounge like Churchills or in your cabin are the only legal places to have one onboard. You may be able to find a quiet little corner someplace up on deck away from everyone.

Thanks!!

I think I'll leave the lighter and just use matches on board. ( they are available I assume. )

I'm a fellow cigar fan, and love a good cigar on a cruise. I can echo most of what's been said above. For simplicity sake, I usually leave my lighter home, but take my cutter, checked. As for the travel humidor, one thing I've learned: you can certainly check it but if you have the cylindrical type (like I do) I recommend carrying it on and opening it up when you put it through the x-ray machine. This was suggested to me by a fellow traveller a few years ago, as this type of humidor looks a little too much like a pipe-bomb in an x-ray machine. :eek: But, I've never had a problem when I open it up.

Happy cruising! :D

p.s. -- unfortunately, most of the shipboard cigar bartenders aren't all that careful about how they keep their humidors, so I recommend buying ashore if you're planning on buying cigars while you're travelling. But, there is one big exception: if you run into a shipboard bartender named Akeshe (a very large Granadan with a hearty laugh), become his friend. He's a great guy, keeps a great humidor and is VERY knowledgable about the best places to get good cigars while ashore.

Thanks. I dont buy from the ship normally, prices arent that great either. I never thought about a cylindrical humidor looking like a bomb. Mine, in fact, looks like a huge shotgun shell, with a base that screws off. That probably wouldnt help much either! What ship was Akeshe on?

I like your concern for fellow passengers with smoke problems.:) If you have a balcony, it is nice to check with adjoining balconies to see if anyone minds cigar smoke before lighting up. My cousin is terribly allergic, and needs an inhalator if exposed to it!:eek: My then 21-year-old son tried his first Havana cigar in Grand Caymen. Oh, yeah, he got sick.:p

The problem cigar smokers run into is there is no other place to smoke onboard. The balcony is it, unless you sit in Churchills after 6 (dinner time). Balcony smoking is a very heated topic here with non smokers, including with cigarettes. I always try to be courteous when smoking cigars and ask people if they mind when I sit next to them. If someone is eating at a bar, I wont even ask, I will just wait. Most say its no issue, but occasionally one will say they mind. Honestly, I do not ask neighbors when smoking from my balcony and wont, as its the only place on ship I can have one during the day. However, I do wish Princess would encourage smoking passengers into booking certain blocks of cabins. The situation could be better for all.

However, I do wish Princess would encourage smoking passengers into booking certain blocks of cabins. The situation could be better for all.

I'm very glad this is such a civil thread!

I got a feeling that eventually this will happen but not in the way people think it will. My thoughts are that Princess will go to some sort of smoking or non smoking cabin...operative word being cabin, not balcony. Kinda of glass is half empty, half full kind of thing.

Agreed. There likely will not be one fix that will make everyone happy, but Princess could take the lead in establishing some sort of voluntary program to make things better for most. One thing could be to encourage smokers to book cabins in the stern half of the ship. Again, its not perfect, and would have to be voluntary due to the suite issue, but it might be a place to start.

I too love a good cigar. I would never smoke in my home, office, car, hotel room or ship cabin. For me, cigars belong outdoors. Enjoying a cigar outdoors on a ship has always been a real delight. Even better with a good bourbon.

On our Alaska cruise on Coral last month I did visit Churchhills one afternoon with a good book. That was fine, but I prefer to be outdoors.

We had a mini suite on a corner of the midship "bump out". I frequently enjoyed a cigar on my balcony with no problems. Generally the breezes kept any impact to a minimum. However, I never lit up if anybody was using the adjacent balcony. If someone was enjoying their balcony I just delayed until they left.

One day I was enjoying my cigar, a bourbon, and a great book out on the balcony. The folks next door had not been outside, but suddenly came out onto their balcony. I heard him say something...couldn't make it out exactly, but I heard "cigar". I then heard her say very clearly; "relax...it's the only place left to smoke a cigar...."

They sat outside awhile (I let my cigar die) and after they went back inside I re-lit it.

Would seem reasonable to allow cigars/pipes out on deck at the rear of the vessel where they wouldn't impact anybody. Maybe an outside corner deck area with some tables and shade. Would work for me.

I agree with the comment above, it's nice to see one of these threads be so civil!

Funny thing is, I HATE cigarette smoke, but I do enjoy the occasional cigar. But, I would never, ever, ever subject anyone else to my cigar smoke. I pretty much limit it to Churchill's/Shooters (depending on the Princess ship.) There was one exception, which leads to this question ....

What ship was Akeshe on?

We met him as the cigar bartender on the Star Princess during our March 2006 Western Caribbean cruise. Problem is, that was the cruise where the Star caught fire. :( So, while I know from talking with him that Akeshe fully planned on staying with Princess after that, I don't know what ship he moved to or where he might be now. But, a quick visit to Churchill's/Shooters any given evening would tell you whether he's there or not. I can't guarantee he's still with Princess more than a year later, but I suspect it's likely, and if you happen to run into him, I think you'd be very happy to have talked to him.

Oh, and the only time I smoked a cigar aboard ship outside the cigar bar was after the fire when the Star was docked in Jamaica for several days. We were all very considerate of others, but a few of us did have a few other places on the ship to help while away the hours.

Again, happy cruising! :D

I do know that there are a number of folks either alergic to cigar smoke or just distasteful of it, I am certainly not addicted to them, just enjoy the occasional cigar with a non-alcholic beer. I will endeavor to be as courteous to others as I would expect them to be of me.

I am trying to purchase one of the Otter-box type travel humidors to take with me. Checked two places here in San Jose today with no luck. Have a couple of more to check tomorrow, if I can't find one, I will end up taking my cylindrical carrier and will bring it on board with me. ( thanks for the headsup on what it might look like in the x-ray. )

Dave

I am glad you understand and respect other peoples problems with cigars

We had a balcony cabin next to a cigar and a pipe smoker on the 2nd leg of a B2B on the Golden and the smell and effects of same were evident 4 cabins down even out on open sea

Things were so bad we had to get Princess to move us as it was totally impossible to enjoy our balcony ........the 2 smokers next door refused to show any respect for others despite polite requests

We have just returned from the Grand and a cigarette smoker on the next balcony did not cause a problem

I too wish Princess would reserve a section of cabins solely for smokers so the rest of us are able to book with confidence and enjoy our cruise too

Would seem reasonable to allow cigars/pipes out on deck at the rear of the vessel where they wouldn't impact anybody. Maybe an outside corner deck area with some tables and shade. Would work for me.

Me too. Most cigar smokers I know are generally quite courteous in this area.

I agree with the comment above, it's nice to see one of these threads be so civil!

Funny thing is, I HATE cigarette smoke, but I do enjoy the occasional cigar. But, I would never, ever, ever subject anyone else to my cigar smoke. I pretty much limit it to Churchill's/Shooters (depending on the Princess ship.)

Oh, and the only time I smoked a cigar aboard ship outside the cigar bar was after the fire when the Star was docked in Jamaica for several days. We were all very considerate of others, but a few of us did have a few other places on the ship to help while away the hours.

Again, happy cruising! :D

Cigarette smoke bothers me as well so I understand where many are coming from. I do think it is probably better for most cruisers if Princess would allow us to find a quiet corner up on deck, preferrably near the stern. That would, in fact, cut down on smoke for the adjoining balconies.

I too wish Princess would reserve a section of cabins solely for smokers so the rest of us are able to book with confidence and enjoy our cruise too

Philip I dont know if they could ever reserve a block solely for smokers (or non-smokers), but it would be nice for Princess and all cruise lines to take the lead in establishing some sort of voluntary guidelines that can be a benefit for all.

I am trying to purchase one of the Otter-box type travel humidors to take with me. Checked two places here in San Jose today with no luck. Have a couple of more to check tomorrow, if I can't find one, I will end up taking my cylindrical carrier and will bring it on board with me. ( thanks for the headsup on what it might look like in the x-ray. )

Dave

Good luck on your search, but also for the record, I have never ever had a problem getting my travel humidor through security as a carry-on when I open it up before it goes through x-ray. People have asked me what the heck it is (clearly philistines, all :p ), but I've never had a problem.

Again, happy trails!

My husband has a cylindrical humidor which he puts in his checked baggage.........never had a problem, but he does put it right on top in case the suitcase has to be opened. We use TSA approved locks and generally watch while the bags go through the x-ray machine.

My DH only smokes in the designated areas..............Mary

i too am a cigar smoker i prefer to smoke inside so iam gld there is a cigar bar on most of the larger ships. i was just on the ROYAL PRINCESS which did not have one. i started to smoke on deck until they decided to hose the deck so ended up at the from on a sunbed. am going the the SAPPHIRE ON FEB 2008.

DAVE

So nice to find courteous smokers. We were on the Golden Princess recently with a cigar smoker above us and another to the right of our cabin. Neither one of our neighbors every asked if the the smoke bothered us when we were on our balcony. The smell makes me physically ill. Whenever I walked out onto the balcony and got hit with the odor, I couldn't help but make a comment about the smell, it was just so offensive to me. I would either cover my face or retreat to my cabin until they were finished. I would love to see all cruise lines ban smoking entirely on balconies, however I do think they should designate an enclosed area for those who enjoy the habit. I wouldn't want to ruin their vacation. Just my opinion.

Archived