Is tipping getting out of hand??

Whoa!!!!!

I'm a first time cruiser so pardon my ignorance. I read all the posts up to page 4 then I became dizzy!

Two questions:

1. If you pay your tips upfront do the staff know that you have tipped them?

2. If you decide to pay on your own; is it manatory to pay the same tips that you would pre-pay?

Thank you!

I just returned from a wonderful cruise with RCCL on the Sovereign. I got to talk with our waiter, a young man from Indonesia. He was open with me when I talked about religion, his family, etc. I have no reason to doubt him when he told me, upon being asked by me, that he was paid $50 per month. I repeated in disbelief, " you mean 500??". He said NO, $50. My income is from tips and often people will not leave a tip because they feel they have paid enough to come on the cruise. He went on to explain that the cruise lines operate under the wage and employment laws of the country they are registered to sail from. In this case, it is the Bahamas. So I gave him more than the customary tip. I thought about it and realized that I stayed at a Radison the night before the cruise for $108 plus taxes. This was a great price, no food or service as though I was royalty. The cruise cost 411 dollars and this included all the food, music, entertainment, service, room cleaned as many times as I needed, towels, transport to the cay, elevators, scenery the most beautiful in the world, etc. for three nights! What is a little more in tips.

As W. C. Fields said "there's a sucker born evry minute". Although i don't begrudge the waiter a dime of his tip you fell for a story that every pasenger has heard with very little varience.

As W. C. Fields said "there's a sucker born evry minute". Although i don't begrudge the waiter a dime of his tip you fell for a story that every pasenger has heard with very little varience.

Always possible that I've been suckered, but at http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2039530980101560587hmZjoT there is a photo scan of an RCCL assistant waiter contact, stating pay of $50/month with a guaranteed minimum of $890/month [which I incorrectly stated before as $870]. Perhaps the whole thing is a fake, but if someone would go to all trouble, seems like they could make more money putting their talents to some other use.

I will gladly pay my $9.75 pp pd for all the kind service I receive.

imo if rccl added tips to their cruise fare it would probably be $20.00

the xtra to cover booking cost

I went to dinner 2x this weekend tips were as much for each dinner:)

My answers in red:

Whoa!!!!!

I'm a first time cruiser so pardon my ignorance. I read all the posts up to page 4 then I became dizzy!

Two questions:

1. If you pay your tips upfront do the staff know that you have tipped them?

Maybe. I've heard different answers on this from people who all seem to be quite sure of themselves. Of course, they know at the end of the cruise, when they get the voucher, but they may or may not know at the beginning.

2. If you decide to pay on your own; is it manatory to pay the same tips that you would pre-pay?

No. These are suggested tips, not mandatory, but most would agree that the proper thing to do would be to tip at least the recommended amount, unless you have inadequate service.

Thank you!

On 3/4 of the cruises I have taken, our assistant waiter has more deserved his tips than the waiter. It's a shame that the assistant waiters only receive $2 per day per guest.

And...it's interesting that, as the week goes along, everyone suddenly gets friendlier as the tip time nears. :)

But...I still tip well and am happy to.

And...it's interesting that, as the week goes along, everyone suddenly gets friendlier as the tip time nears. :)

But...I still tip well and am happy to.

I think the reason they get friendlier is not because tip time is getting near, but more because they have gotten to know you better and feel more comfortable with you. Our servers were very polite and gave great service on the first night, but as the week went by, we joked around with them so much and had so much fun with them that I honestly felt like we had made some new friends. The same goes for our room steward.

I think the reason they get friendlier is not because tip time is getting near, but more because they have gotten to know you better and feel more comfortable with you. Our servers were very polite and gave great service on the first night, but as the week went by, we joked around with them so much and had so much fun with them that I honestly felt like we had made some new friends. The same goes for our room steward.

Last year, when we were on a Princess Cruise (where we pre-paid the tip), our room steward was so bad the first couple days of the cruise. I would ask him for something, like ice or water and he would completely forget it. Our room was clean, but once I dropped a dime on the floor and it was still there two days later. And he had no personality. Then all of a sudden on the last three days of the cruise, every thing was great, he made little animals out of the towels and put my sunglasses on it. He left a little extra lotion because he knew I used a lot, etc. I really felt he was making sure I didn't take the tip off.

Last year, when we were on a Princess Cruise (where we pre-paid the tip), our room steward was so bad the first couple days of the cruise. I would ask him for something, like ice or water and he would completely forget it. Our room was clean, but once I dropped a dime on the floor and it was still there two days later. And he had no personality. Then all of a sudden on the last three days of the cruise, every thing was great, he made little animals out of the towels and put my sunglasses on it. He left a little extra lotion because he knew I used a lot, etc. I really felt he was making sure I didn't take the tip off.

Glad that I never experienced what you did! We had great service from day one on our Freedom cruise...we are crossing our fingers that we will have the same experience on the Liberty next year.

the only tip policy that gets me is the head waiter...only because its very hot and miss with them...I have had great head waiters that come around multiple times during seatings...but also ones that I have only seen twice...intro and when its time to collect tips...

the only tip policy that gets me is the head waiter...only because its very hot and miss with them...I have had great head waiters that come around multiple times during seatings...but also ones that I have only seen twice...intro and when its time to collect tips...

The head waiter's job is not really to come around to your table several times, though. If they have to do that, maybe your waiter isn't doing what they should, or it's a newer waiter and the head waiter is just keeping a closer-than-normal eye on things. If everything is running smoothly, the head waiter is probably doing his/her job.

while this may be the case I would at least like to see them. Coming around for intro and tip time just seems too much like "hey here I am, see you when its time for $$," maybe its just me though

I agree and seldom tip the HW. I feel he' s part of management. All the other people on the suggested list more then earn their tips. I think the head waiter is the only controversial person on the suggested tipping schedule.

Don't know if this is anything new, but this is what I do. I also have had better asst waiters than waiters. When that happens I simply switch my envelopes and give the "waiter" who provided the superior service, the superior tip. Since the tips are suggested amounts, I tip commensurate with service (don't mean to sound upety). In the end, I usually tip more than the suggested amount.

Did you see that person at the entrance of the dining room each night with the hand sanitizer??? For us, that person was our HW. For us, it was worth 75 cents a day/pp to make sure that everyone had clean hands and stayed healthy during the cruise!

No it's not out of hand. They work 7 days a week and there duties are not just limited to serving our room or our dinner table. They have other duties for which they get minimal pay so they depend on the tips. By comparison if I eat out 7 days a week and pay an average of $25 per diner for one the tip to an American server would be approximately $35 for the week (175 x 20%) and that does not include Breakfast & Lunch. Your waiter is working somewhere on the ship during those meals as well. His tip for the week is $24.50 for one person. The Tip is the cheapest thing on my Sail & Sign card by the end of the week. Even the drinks at one a day add up to more then the tip.

Archived