Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Evenin' all:

Holy cow! What a great picture, I was actually able to enlarge this one and see everyone up close. Sexie Wexy and his dad are living up to their names. And, Zolo, the VERY large handsome boy to the left of Wexler (Photo left) looks bigger than my Renie was and he was 110 lbs. What a handfull.

I ran into a friend of mine at the vet the other day. She was picking her furbabies up from boarding while they were on a cruise. She has a golden that was a little rambungious (sp) needless to say. I was happy to have my little Jezzy Lou that was in my arms, even though I miss my big boy more than ever.

Thanks Roz for the well wishes. When we first thought it could be Parvo, I was sick to my stomach all day at work. Its kinda hard to take off sick for a furbaby when you have only been on the job for a couple of weeks. All worked out and she is doing great. Although she is loving her hamburger and rice, may just keep her on it!

Everyone have a great evening.

Nancy

My boys are handsome aren't they! :D

What a difference a day makes, check out the pic!

Cindy

Cindy: The only way you can tell the difference between them is Bailee's gray on her face.....AWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

I'm so glad to see that they are melding into one big black blur!

I love this picture!!!!!!!

My boys are handsome aren't they! :D

What a difference a day makes, check out the pic!

Cindy

Hi Everyone;

Saw the graduation pics...yep handsome guys. I bet they are a great looking team cruising around.

And look at the friends now! I think Bailee will realize this new guy is not so bad.

Hey do you guys have a local CCI group? They are usually puppy raisers and grads. Not all areas have them and not all are as active as our local group. You can check ours out at http://www.ccigrc.org. It is kind of nice for social outings (if they do them), CCI p.r. and for support (like dog watching) if you need it.

Kim and Keldon

To all you dogs out there who have not been feeling well...we are glad to see you are on the road to recovery.

Roz you will have to give us a full review of Brenda's show! Wish we could be there to see it.

Kim and Keldon

Hi Everyone;

Saw the graduation pics...yep handsome guys. I bet they are a great looking team cruising around.

And look at the friends now! I think Bailee will realize this new guy is not so bad.

Hey do you guys have a local CCI group? They are usually puppy raisers and grads. Not all areas have them and not all are as active as our local group. You can check ours out at www.ccigrc.org. It is kind of nice for social outings (if they do them), CCI p.r. and for support (like dog watching) if you need it.

Kim and Keldon

To all you dogs out there who have not been feeling well...we are glad to see you are on the road to recovery.

Roz you will have to give us a full review of Brenda's show! Wish we could be there to see it.

Kim and Keldon

Kim: Thank you! I promise to report back on how wonderful the cruise was and how receptive everyone was to Brenda's performance and to Service Dogs, in general.

Did you see the picture of Bailee and Wexler laying next to each other [okay, so they were kind of back-to-back] but they were very close!!!!

We don't have a CCI group near us, here in L.A. The closest one is near San Diego or Carlsbad and that's a big distance from us. I'd love to have a social network of CCI friends that we meet-up with every few weeks.

Oh! Wait! I've got you guys.........And, I love that!

I'm very lucky to work a full-time job and have lots of friends and family [none with a Service Dog] but they love Brenny and it's always fun to be with them. I'd love to be with other SD's more often, though.

I love to get together with Cari and Denver. Denver's a Seeing Eye Dog and he and Brenny really like each other. We don't see them enough. Cari lives near San Diego.

Roz,

That is so cool. I know that you and Brenda will be a BIG hit up in Alaska. Don't feel any pressure at all, as Brenda will do an amazing job with you at the helm!

Peter: Thank you so much. Your good wishes mean a lot to me!

I hope some day to cruise with all of you, especially Wherin!

Hi All, I just want to say thanks for all your congrats and well wishes! Things are going well so far. We are off to John's sisters pool today. The yard is fenced in and the doggies can run and play all day. We are working on the pics they took while we were training, so we can post a link. Now that things are starting to settle down, John can work on it.

Cindy

Cindy, Thanks for letting us on for the ride! It has been fun and I have loved looking at the pictures. Seeing how much you have enjoyed his puppy pictures, is encourging me to take even more pictures. Poor Roz has to tolerate me sending puppy pics her way:D. While I still haven't set up a online photo web page for general sharing, I noticed that when I clicked on my profile, a picture I had attempted to post showed up. So if you want you can see Sandy the house dog having a discussion with one of the puppies about who sits where.

Hi All, I just want to say thanks for all your congrats and well wishes! Things are going well so far. We are off to John's sisters pool today. The yard is fenced in and the doggies can run and play all day. We are working on the pics they took while we were training, so we can post a link. Now that things are starting to settle down, John can work on it.

Cindy

I am so happy that life is looking very good for your family. That's the way it should be! You made it happen and I give you kudo's for all your hard work!

Enjoy them all! I look forward to all the pictures when they're ready.

Cindy, Thanks for letting us on for the ride! It has been fun and I have loved looking at the pictures. Seeing how much you have enjoyed his puppy pictures, is encourging me to take even more pictures. Poor Roz has to tolerate me sending puppy pics her way:D. While I still haven't set up a online photo web page for general sharing, I noticed that when I clicked on my profile, a picture I had attempted to post showed up. So if you want you can see Sandy the house dog having a discussion with one of the puppies about who sits where.

I have loved every picture and can almost feel the joy of being with you and your pups.

You should be glad that I don't live close by.......Brenny and I would be dropping by all the time.....just kidding! ;)

Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful stories and pictures.

Jezzy Lou: So glad that your doing okay. Now, stay that way. Brenny hates, hates, hates the Vet. Because I've seen the way she reacts when she's there, I become nervous too! I try to show the calm exterior but inside I'm jello.

Stay well, Jezzy.

Nancy, thank for your good wishes on Miss Brenny and her new career! I hope to educate the public while having fun. What a great combination!

Sunshine: Have you noticed any changes with the Salmon Oil yet? We didn't notice any changes in Brenny's skin and fur for almost 6 months and then it was like magic and has been for the past 4 years.

Let us know how your MIL reacted to "doodles!"

Cindy: 12 years....Yey, Bailee, you go girl!!!!!! I'm glad she's showing the "big boy" who's boss! It also means they're paying more attention to each other. Enjoy them!

Sandy is doing much better, but whether it is due to the prednisone or the salmon oil, I am not sure. I gave the oil abt 4 weeks before we moved onto the oral meds. She'll stay on the prednisone for another month than taper off. I am going to continue the salmon oil after that. She sure likes the way it tastes.

My MIL could not get over the doodle. He is so tall and gentle, he just stood next to her and put his muzzle on her lap for a "visit". She kept saying "Oh My". It is such a good training opportunity to take the dogs over there as they get elevator rides. long apartment hallways, not to mention all the love from the residents.

My lunch partner had a feisty young dog for a training outing while I had my doodle. He was so good, lied under the table quiety, I even took a chance and ordered a sandwhich instead of something I could consume with a fork or spoon. Her girl kept popping up and she had to keep redirecting. Sometimes it is "just one of those lunches" as we say.

Then we went to the nursery to work with the 6 week old puppies. Sooooooo cute. Lot's of puppy snuggles to be had, and when I got home dog less, lot's of Sandy snuggles to be had.

Hi All!

Cindi, I love that Wexler is winning Bailee over ... but we all knew it would only be a matter of time :) He is a sweetie!

I have some doggie news myself now albeit not SD related. I got a call from Maddie's breeder the other day telling me she had heard about Finn's passing. She was thinking of me specifically because she has a 7 1/2 month old pup who she wants to place ... with me! He is coming for a visit next weekend to see if all works out and if so, he is mine. :)

This is the polar opposite of what I had been thinking would happen but I am a firm believer in the 'all things happen in life for a reason' camp (I could write a book on how all of my dogs have appeared!). After talking at length with my breeder, he sounds wonderful and a perfect fit for us. I plan on setting some stuff up to see how he reacts. My neighbours have kids and a little dog so it will perfect. All controlled!

I'll let you know if he fits in and how things go.

Miriam

Good morning,

I am very excited about the prospect of having another furball in this house again ... it has been so quiet lately. I can't recall the last time there has never, ever been an animal in the house. Anyway, that could change soon

The puppy's name is actually up in the air right now as the breeder has been calling him J, DJ or JJ (breeder thing I guess??). She had kept him to show but his bite is coming in undershot and while that may change still (he will be 8 months at the beginning of September), she's decided to place him instead ... and I was the first person she called :)

He is a Kerry Blue - same as Maddie, the black, err blue, dog in my avatar. I do know he is very much like his father who is also still with the breeder and he is apparently sweet, loving, calm and just wants to please. Now Maddie had all those attributes except calm. LOL! Her nickname wasn't Baddie Maddie for nothing afterall ;)

PS. Which name do you guys like the best? I think I know which one we'll be going with but want your opinions too!

Other than that, not much I call tell you. I'm waiting for some good pics of him still so nothing to show you yet.

As for the SD front, the agency in Canada is accepting apps again but there is a 3 year waitlist!!! And the cutoff age for applying is 8 (Hannah is 8 now). I think the waitlist scares me because a lot can change for her in 3 years so I've been dragging my feet. This is also the agency that told me that their dogs were more for safety and that because Hannah isn't necessarily a bolter, she may not qualify. Maybe they are just trying to weed out people by telling them no this, no that. Not sure - but it seems to be working on me right now whatever they are doing. I am usually very proactive when it comes to my DD but right now .... any advice? (other than get your butt off the computer and apply dang it! :))

So, there you have an update on my doggy life.

Miriam

Edited by kerrytens

Miriam:

Ok, intervention time. I am one of those people that say you have a 50/50 chance, if you do nothing, your chances are zero. Look at what happened to John and Cindy. They were told the wait list was 1-2 years (I believe) and Sexy Wexy came to them in no time at all! As far as Hannah being 8 already, I think as long as you get on the waiting list, all should be good. As for what Hannah's needs will be in 3 years, one day at a time. And, yes, I think they are weeding out the people that aren't really ready to commit. I say, GO FOR IT MOM! :DNow, that I have solved some of your family issues, will you please solve some of mine? :o

I hope you don't think I am butting into your business. This is one reason I don't like the internet. You cannot tell the intent of the typed words. All I have is admiration for you and how you take such good care of Hannah. I know it can't be easy. I have daily issues with Trav and some times wonder why me? Then they turn around and say "I still love you, mom." And my heart melts. I tell him all the time he is lucky he is so cute, cause I would spank his butt if he weren't!

Everyone have a great Sunday.

Nancy