Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Thanks - I hope its soon too!

Dianne

Dianne, you know I'm a big Canine Companions for Independence cheer leader. I truly believe in what they do and how they do it.

I waited 2 years for Brenda and almost a year for Horton. With Horton I was invited to Team Training after 6 months but during that time had a cruise scheduled and it was with family members who could not reschedule. I felt so torn because it meant I had to wait for the next class. I was very upset.

As it turned out CCI scheduled a "side placement" for me. No class, just me, a few dogs a few trainers and one week. I had the choice to come back and graduate with the normal class or not. I chose to come back and have a graduation ceremony.

It was meant to be that Horton and I find each other. I believe in fate, I believe in the process.

Have faith, believe in the process and you'll see.......the right dog will be yours when the time is right. I know the waiting is over-the-top frustrating....it will all happen when it's supposed to.

Hey Folks - Dean Koontz' dog Anna has written an advice book, and all proceeds go to CCI:

http://www.cci.org/site/c.cdKGIRNqEmG/b.9203145/k.16F2/Ask_Anna_and_Support_Canine_Companions.htm?msource=xhq14koontz

Anna was going to be a Service Dog herself but she had a little problem with birds, and the Koontz family adopted her, so of course she decided to become an author herself...

a good cause and I am sure a very funny book.

Also, if you call at 9:00pm today-10/8- at: 760-901-4300 - You can get Anna's [Dean Koontz' autographed book "Ask Anna" for $25.00] - [All proceeds will benefit CCI-Have your credit card handy!]

Who doesn't need advice from a Golden Retriever?

I wanted to go to the book signing on Saturday but my schedule changed. So this is the next best thing. I ordered two books! :D

(BTW $25 includes tax and shipping! :))

Edited by dobiemom

I wanted to go to the book signing on Saturday but my schedule changed. So this is the next best thing. I ordered two books! :D

(BTW $25 includes tax and shipping! :))

I knew I'd never be able to make it to Oceanside in time so I ordered two books too!

I loved all his books about Trixie [his first CCI dog.] I think I bought them all!

For a writer who's body of writing is so, so scary......his tales about his dogs are so much fun to read. It's such a far cry from most of his writings.

Thank you for all you wonderful support on behalf of CCI. ♥

Dianne, you know I'm a big Canine Companions for Independence cheer leader. I truly believe in what they do and how they do it.

I waited 2 years for Brenda and almost a year for Horton. With Horton I was invited to Team Training after 6 months but during that time had a cruise scheduled and it was with family members who could not reschedule. I felt so torn because it meant I had to wait for the next class. I was very upset.

As it turned out CCI scheduled a "side placement" for me. No class, just me, a few dogs a few trainers and one week. I had the choice to come back and graduate with the normal class or not. I chose to come back and have a graduation ceremony.

It was meant to be that Horton and I find each other. I believe in fate, I believe in the process.

Have faith, believe in the process and you'll see.......the right dog will be yours when the time is right. I know the waiting is over-the-top frustrating....it will all happen when it's supposed to.

Thanks for the encouragement Roz. Hopefully, it will be February or May. I know that it will happen someday. In the meantime, I am getting ready for my transatlantic cruise in three weeks!

Dianne

Thanks for the encouragement Roz. Hopefully, it will be February or May. I know that it will happen someday. In the meantime, I am getting ready for my transatlantic cruise in three weeks!

Dianne

Wow! You sure have something wonderful to keep you busy while you're waiting for your turn in Team Training.

I honestly never saw your question on the Celebrity forum, and I read it all the time.

You might email Host Andy directly. He has sailed the M - class ships quite a bit and might be able to answer, or at least look his next cruise. I would help, but all my cruises have been on S - class ships. If it helps, I can look when I'm on Reflection in February. That won't tell you anything about Summit though.

I do know one of the IT guys personally. I wonder if he would know?

Thanks, I bumped the thread up and this time got several replies. :)

Have a wonderful weekend everyone. Finally, our weather is not over 100 degrees. It's almost bearable!

We're busy with company this weekend. And, then here come the holidays.....is everyone ready? I'm sure the stores will start with the decorations before too long. :rolleyes:

I knew I'd never be able to make it to Oceanside in time so I ordered two books too!

I loved all his books about Trixie [his first CCI dog.] I think I bought them all!

For a writer who's body of writing is so, so scary......his tales about his dogs are so much fun to read. It's such a far cry from most of his writings.

Thank you for all you wonderful support on behalf of CCI. ♥

I just bought "A Big Little Life" for my Kindle. :)

And, then here come the holidays.....is everyone ready? I'm sure the stores will start with the decorations before too long. :rolleyes:

Roz: Two weeks ago, our KMART started putting up the Christmas Decorations!!!! :eek: Then Rite Aid followed suit. I have nothing more to say on the subject. Except another :eek:.

Hope everyone is doing well. I am still busy, busy and then some more busy. I have another long term position at school, so working every day. It's all good. As long as I know it is going to be long term, I am good with it. It's the not knowing if you are going to get called and then where you will be going. I will be working until the end of the year. So that is good. No holiday for us tomorrow. We swapped that day for one in February or March, depending when our annual fair is. Being in farm country, a lot of our kids raise animals for the fair. At fair time, which is always a Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, the kids take off school to compete with their animals. They have worked very hard getting the animals ready so they are allowed to take off of school. Most of the ones raising the animals have excellent school grades anyway. But, the school was getting upset because when the kids are not in school, they loose $$$. So they decided to swap a couple of other holidays out and give us that Thursday and Friday off, since the kids are going to be gone anyway. It works for us little ole farmers! Now that I have been Chatty Patty, I will say, have a great day! :D

Roz: Two weeks ago, our KMART started putting up the Christmas Decorations!!!! :eek: Then Rite Aid followed suit. I have nothing more to say on the subject. Except another :eek:.

Hope everyone is doing well. I am still busy, busy and then some more busy. I have another long term position at school, so working every day. It's all good. As long as I know it is going to be long term, I am good with it. It's the not knowing if you are going to get called and then where you will be going. I will be working until the end of the year. So that is good. No holiday for us tomorrow. We swapped that day for one in February or March, depending when our annual fair is. Being in farm country, a lot of our kids raise animals for the fair. At fair time, which is always a Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, the kids take off school to compete with their animals. They have worked very hard getting the animals ready so they are allowed to take off of school. Most of the ones raising the animals have excellent school grades anyway. But, the school was getting upset because when the kids are not in school, they loose $$$. So they decided to swap a couple of other holidays out and give us that Thursday and Friday off, since the kids are going to be gone anyway. It works for us little ole farmers! Now that I have been Chatty Patty, I will say, have a great day! :D

Love the "FARMER IN THE DELL" story. And, it's not "chatty Patty", it's "poor, pitiful Patty", remember? :D We all work with one!

Exciting day today: I saw a couple walk into church this morning with a black lab. He was wearing a yellow vest. So after the service I waited for them. It looked like the CCI logo so I asked if he was a CCI dog and they said yes! They are puppy raisers, new to the area. This dog is from Santa Rosa but after this they will be working with the Oceanside facility. (They were there on Saturday for the Dean Koontz book signing.) Isn't that the coolest! :D

Exciting day today: I saw a couple walk into church this morning with a black lab. He was wearing a yellow vest. So after the service I waited for them. It looked like the CCI logo so I asked if he was a CCI dog and they said yes! They are puppy raisers, new to the area. This dog is from Santa Rosa but after this they will be working with the Oceanside facility. (They were there on Saturday for the Dean Koontz book signing.) Isn't that the coolest! :D

I absolutely adore Puppy Raisers and, still get excited just like you did when I see a puppy in training. I always want to hug the people to death!

They are the coolest! :)

Edited by wizard-of-roz

If anyone else here likes to do crafts, you should look on eBay for your breed done in a wood shape that you can paint or whatever to turn it into a Christmas Ornament or add it to something else to make a leash holder rack or anything else. I just got my breed in three different sizes and am going to make ornaments of my new pup and current pup, plus am going to make a leash holder using a white picket fence from the craft store and two of the dog shapes. I just got the paint today for this project. :) Oh, and they have other things you can add like Santa hats, bones, and paw prints. They have TONS of shapes, even the classic Mickey Mouse three-circle head and Tinker Bell! Fun!!

Edited by Quampapetet

Quampapetet, I saw that you got a number of good replies to your lighting question n ow. Yay! Somehow it doesn't surprise me that Curt (Cle-guy) had an answer. Given the reaction you have, I assume you will still contact special needs at Celebrity and make sure they update the lighting in your room to all LED. They had my DD'S food allergies notated in her reservation very early, so hopefully they will take care of you appropriately.

Hope you enjoy Summit! That is the ship we are looking at for February 2017, unless Celebrity announces a new one before that.

If anyone else here likes to do crafts, you should look on eBay for your breed done in a wood shape that you can paint or whatever to turn it into a Christmas Ornament or add it to something else to make a leash holder rack or anything else. I just got my breed in three different sizes and am going to make ornaments of my new pup and current pup, plus am going to make a leash holder using a white picket fence from the craft store and two of the dog shapes. I just got the paint today for this project. :) Oh, and they have other things you can add like Santa hats, bones, and paw prints. They have TONS of shapes, even the classic Mickey Mouse three-circle head and Tinker Bell! Fun!!

Quam, you're so ambitious.......good for you.

I hope you got your answers for the lighting issues onboard the Summit.

I have some wonderful memories of the Summit. It was when Morey and I were getting into the cruising thing with Brenda. Celebrity made me feel very welcome and helped me to have a comfort zone with my Service Dog. Really good people! ♥

in light of recent posts regarding fake service animals, I thought some of you might enjoy this article:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/10/20/pets-allowed

Wow, that was one wordy article.......My only comment is "ridiculous"......the ADA, DOJ does not recognize an alpaca or pigs as being covered under the ADA.

It's absolutely crazy how people are claiming that their "feel good" pets be allowed everywhere simply because they have a letter from a doctor. And, folks who drag their poor little pets, in strollers, through the market and onboard cruise ships are going to be called out by me! Especially when they growl and nip at Horton! :mad:

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Hi All, just checking in. We still have no computer. Typing from my phone.... not good.:( Hope everyone is well. We are good. Nothing much going on right now. Wexler sends his love. :D

Cindy

Oh! No! It's good to hear from you and I'm so glad that all is well. We send our love right back at you!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

That article would be pretty funny if it weren't so sad. People who abuse the service dog laws have no conscience.

They really make me crazy! You truly can't appreciate their rudeness until you actually see them with their poor little "rats" that they call Service Dogs. It is so ridiculous and embarrassing!

When they come into an elevator and their "dog" starts yipping and yapping I want to smack somebody! Or when Horton and I walk past them in the supermarket and the human starts making excuses for the "dogs" behavior, I want to deck them!

Makes me so nuts!!!! :mad:

Quampapetet, I saw that you got a number of good replies to your lighting question n ow. Yay! Somehow it doesn't surprise me that Curt (Cle-guy) had an answer. Given the reaction you have, I assume you will still contact special needs at Celebrity and make sure they update the lighting in your room to all LED. They had my DD'S food allergies notated in her reservation very early, so hopefully they will take care of you appropriately.

Hope you enjoy Summit! That is the ship we are looking at for February 2017, unless Celebrity announces a new one before that.

Yes, I got several helpful replies. Thanks!

Wow, you are already planning for 2017?! My hat is off to you on that!

Yes, I got several helpful replies. Thanks!

Wow, you are already planning for 2017?! My hat is off to you on that!

Celebrity announced last week that they were releasing the summer 2016 through winter 2017 schedule early - starting in November. If I book right away, I get the room I want, with early bird perks, and have longer to pay it off. Plus, I happen to have a boss who loves that I actually plan my time off way in advance. I have vacation approval through 2020 for one annual trip I take!

I actually don't understand b friends who DON'T plan way in advance, particularly when they complain they never go anywhere.