Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Thanks to each one of you for not only exchanging ideas and information with each other, but for informing the public about service dogs and their owners. I am such a lover of dogs (Josie, a golden retriever is our big girl) and would never think twice about someone having a service dog with them......ANYWHERE. We have gone on several cruises, but only seen one dog......a tiny poodle that was part of the magicians act. It would be a privilege to sail with a service dog.......but it would be difficult not to want to give them a big hug. I am one of those folks who loves animals so much that I pat and hug first, then think....."maybe I should ask". gg

It would be a privilege to sail with a service dog.......but it would be difficult not to want to give them a big hug. I am one of those folks who loves animals so much that I pat and hug first, then think....."maybe I should ask". gg

That's great that you're learning from this thread! Yes, please do not distract a service dog while it is working. Doing so may put the human's life in danger! If you really can't resist, ask the human if you can pat the dog, but don't be shocked or saddened if they say no.

(Distractions = patting, calling to the dog, whistling to the dog, barking at the dog, trying to frighten the dog, staring down the dog, letting your child bother the dog, trying to feed the dog, etc. Yes, some adults actually bark at a passing service dog. :rolleyes: )

Also, if you want to take a photo, it is polite to actually ask the human first.

(These comments are directed towards the general public, not just the quoted poster.)

Hi All

Oslo is a very small miniature poodle. He does not meet the minimum standard at the shoulder for minimum/maximum height for that size poodle. Of course, we have not told him that he is small for his breed.:D

His 4 x 4 box is under an overhang on an outside deck. When the decks are cleaned, the box and contents do get wet. The staff are very good about changing the paper/mulch/astroturf. But, sometimes a reminder is needed.

I agree, there seems to be a lot of people who want to take a picture of the dog. Usually, they will ask permission to do so, but not always.

I have only ever had one person complain about a service dog being in the dining room. The mistake the dining room manager made was his request to move me, to another table. As I was not the one with the issue, I explained the person complaining was the one who needed to move.

When you are communicating with the Access Desk of the cruise lines, be sure to request a dog life jacket. But be sure to let the ship know the weight of the dog. I forgot and Oslo's life jacket was a size large and he walked right out of it.

Cheerio for now

Hi All

Oslo is a very small miniature poodle. He does not meet the minimum standard at the shoulder for minimum/maximum height for that size poodle. Of course, we have not told him that he is small for his breed.

Yeah, no need to tell him he's small for his breed! Sounds like he is big of heart, smarts, and talent and that's all that's required. :D

His 4 x 4 box is under an overhang on an outside deck. When the decks are cleaned, the box and contents do get wet. The staff are very good about changing the paper/mulch/astroturf. But, sometimes a reminder is needed.

That's good it is under an overhang. I didn't realized they washed the decks down - guess that makes sense, I just never thought about it! :) I didn't know they changed the contents of the potty box out during the cruise, either. How often do they do that?

I agree, there seems to be a lot of people who want to take a picture of the dog. Usually, they will ask permission to do so, but not always.

Yeah, it is a little weird to be having somebody take a photo of your dog without permission! Most ppl do ask (that I know of - guess you can't always know just when somebody is snapping a photo!), but we've had a couple who haven't, like one TV station videographer who suddenly bent down and stuck his big ol' camera right in my dog's face. :rolleyes: I don't mind if you want to take a photo (I've never said no to such a request), but please ask first! :)

I have only ever had one person complain about a service dog being in the dining room. The mistake the dining room manager made was his request to move me, to another table. As I was not the one with the issue, I explained the person complaining was the one who needed to move.

That's too bad somebody complained. :( I'm glad you explained to the manager that it was the other person who needed to move and not you.

When you are communicating with the Access Desk of the cruise lines, be sure to request a dog life jacket. But be sure to let the ship know the weight of the dog. I forgot and Oslo's life jacket was a size large and he walked right out of it.

LOL, I can just picture a little dog and a giant lifejacket! :) He could've prob'ly used it as a float/raft!

I didn't know the cruise line offered dog life jackets. I already have one for my dog that I got last summer (friends were going to take us out on their boat, plus it is good for our pool - I didn't take it on the ferries, though), so I won't be needing to request one from the cruise line. The one we have is the Fido Float in yellow (guess she'll stick out from all the orange human jackets at the muster, but I wasn't planning on going on a cruise when I got it and I liked the yellow color better). You can see it here at one store that carries it (can't recall where we got it): http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?PGGUID=9508c589-6e40-4aba-a1d7-bac31cba1a1d I like it 'cause it is the only one I've seen that has a special buoyancy collar to keep the dog's head above water.

MCDW: Welcome! It's amazing how our furry workers come in all sizes; breeds and shapes. I have NEVER seen a small/poodle type "Hearing Dog!" I'd love to see what she/he can do!

The organization that we got Brenda from is now working on the "Labradoodle"; the cross between the Lab and the Poodle. I'm looking forward to one of these when I need a successor dog. Right now Brenda is 7 and is not ready to slow down a bit! She is "perfection" when it comes to working and traveling!

Washing down the decks is a "must" on cruise ships. Depending on where they place the box this can be a problem and a hazard.

On Holland America (Oosterdam); the deck was so wet and slick for our am walk to the box, that we had to request that they wait until we had finished before they start doing it. They have teakwood decks and they can be like ice when wet. Just tell the deck hands or the Information Desk what time you go in the morning and they will wait until your done to begin washing that portion. Also, ask them NOT to wash the box, while you are on board. It is unecessary until you disembark. Unless your cruise is more than two weeks....the dogs stool is all that is necessary to be removed after each potty break!

I have NEVER had a potty box placed out in the open, exposed. It can be placed in a closet (NCL)/stairwell (Princess)/Hallway (not used by the public-(Celebrity)/out of the way corner-on Promenade Deck (HAL)/on deck, under an overhang (Carnival.) As you can see each ship uses a different area. IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY WITH THE PLACEMENT, TELL THEM (The Hotel Manager), and they will hae it move for you! I bring my own bag of mulch (in case I don't like what they offer!) If I don't use it, I leave it...it's not expensive and I'm never disappointed. I've seen it all when it comes to the potty box and I make sure, (the second I board the ship; it's the first thing I check out), that it's where I want it (I carry my bag of mulch with me, with Brenda in tow!) I will NEVER be surprised or unhappy about this again!

I ALWAYS allow the public to pat Brenda.....I've had her for 5 years; she's an amazing dog; with a wonderful work ethic. She immediately goes into "work mode" when I say the patting is finished and I give her the command to resume working! I ALWAYS INISIST that they ask first (in case they've tried to sneak a pat, on their own!) I simply remind the public of why she's with me and that the "patting" distractions, when she's not prepared for them, can be dangerous to both her and me! It's best for me to remain positive and not punitive! I always put on my "teaching hat" when the public is around!

Once the public understands that they will get a turn to touch and take pictures of her, they are amazingly diligent the rest of the cruise, when they encounter us!

I show them what she does and how she does it.....they love this....and it's a great learning tool for them; they become much more respectful and interested in service dogs!

What we do as service dog handlers is, for the most part, a mystery to the public and most of them are so, so curious about us and our dogs. Why not be open to this curiousity and help them (which, I might add, also helps every single other person who has a service dog and may come their way!) You're on vacation...be in that train of thought when other vacationers come your way and encounter you! BE KIND AND HELPFUL...If they ask, it's because they really care!

I'm not saying that you should allow bad behavior from your working dog or the public....just be a positive roll model for all of us!

I'm so glad that you're having fun with Oslo and getting "out there!" Enjoy your cruising! And, I look forward to meeting you all, one day!

• Like 1

Hi All:

Sorry I don't know where you live. We live in Canada. It seems we are seeing more standard poodles and miniature poodles as guide dogs, up here.

There is an awesome standard guide dog in Alberta, I have seen when out walking with Oslo. I think he is a Canadian National Institute for the Blind dog, out of the Ontario school.

I think the schools are working with more poodles or poodle mixes, to assist with the allergy issue.

Does anyone know where I can order a new guide jacket? Our school has gone to a heavy padded nylon jacket with zippers and metal rings. A real problem when going through security at the airports. Oslo sets off the alarms.

I love his old one, it is simply a nylon/cotton jacket with velcro fasteners and the writing on both sides and the top. It is the International bright orange colour for guide dogs for the deaf.

Any help will be appreciated.

The "working vest" that Brenda wears is formally from CCI (Canine Companions for Independence), based in Santa Rosa, California. It is Blue & Yellow, with the CCI Insignia on it. The top of the vest can or (if we wish) not have the service dogs specific job on it.

Why don't you request the replacement jacket/vest from the organization or school that did the training? Where did you get the initial vest?

You may contact CCI at: 707.577.1700 - TDD: 707.577.1756. They may be able to help you get a vest.

Hi original jackets came from his school.......Lions Foundation of Canada Dog Guide School. But they don't use the same jackets anymore. The new ones are more fancy, but are problematic for a lot of traveling. They also don't mold to his body, like the old model of jacket does.

I think the schools are working with more poodles or poodle mixes, to assist with the allergy issue.

That's one of the things I like about my dog's breed, too: non-shedding and hypoallergenic. I stayed at one of my friend's houses once (after she moved to a different state so I went to visit her) and she has three dogs. Oh my gosh, the fur!!!!! :eek:

Does anyone know where I can order a new guide jacket? Our school has gone to a heavy padded nylon jacket with zippers and metal rings. A real problem when going through security at the airports. Oslo sets off the alarms.

My dog always sets off the airport security alarms, even before the mobility harness (which has a lot of metal parts). So, I just expect that it will take us longer to go through security 'cause they have to pat her down. (Here in the US they only pat down whoever rang the alarm - if it was just the dog, just the dog does the pat down. That's why I always send my dog ahead of me, so then only she has to get the pat down and I don't, since I didn't ring the alarm. If we went through together, we'd both have to do it.)

I love his old one, it is simply a nylon/cotton jacket with velcro fasteners and the writing on both sides and the top. It is the International bright orange colour for guide dogs for the deaf.

Any help will be appreciated.

There are plenty of places online you can order them. Lots of different styles to choose from. The place I would recommend no longer makes them to order, so I can't recommend them to ya. :( But, if you do a Google search, you'll find the places. :) I would think most of them should have the orange color, since, as you stated, it is the color for hearing dogs.

I absolutely would NEVER recommend anyone order these vests online.......I am very troubled by the ease of ordering online and what it opens up to ANYONE who can do this.......and, the problems that it makes for legitimate service dogs and the downgrading of our legitimacy!

Brenda has had 2 years of formal training...I had to live on CCI's campus and go through rigorous classes and training with several service dogs and then have daily written, oral and hands-on testing in order for me to EARN my public access license; and, she must be re-certified every 1 to 3 years, depending on her abilities in order to earn HER public access. Between $25,000 and $35,000 is invested into these service dogs to qualify them to become the workers that they are.....and then Ebay comes along and offers a "Service Dog" vest to anyone who can pay for it. And, then they bring their pets into public places; they're not trained; they act badly and give all of us a "bad name!"

Sorry, about my "high horse" about this issue......I'm very passionate about the perfection of the "licensed service dog!" Let's not push the internet for the freedom of the purchase of these vests!

You know what to do; go to a service dog organization and order your vest through them.......or contact the Lions Foundation and ask them.......Please!

What we do as service dog handlers is, for the most part, a mystery to the public and most of them are so, so curious about us and our dogs. Why not be open to this curiousity and help them (which, I might add, also helps every single other person who has a service dog and may come their way!) You're on vacation...be in that train of thought when other vacationers come your way and encounter you! BE KIND AND HELPFUL...If they ask, it's because they really care!

Roz - thank you for your comments that serve to educate all of us. Your attitude is just so refreshing and I do hope that you are currently or at some time will be able to train others to work with service dogs because you have a gift for being able to educate others through your own life's experience. You have such passion and determination to have others understand the life of a service dog and his/her owner. I admire you. gg

We are puppy raisers for the Guide Dogs of Texas. We are currently raising a labradoodle guide dog puppy named Mason. You can check out his blog at the following address: http://masonstales.blogspot.com/

Labradoodles were first bred in Austrailia to be guide dogs. Most are hypoallergenic, though some can have the lab fur instead of the poodle hair. Thankfully Mason is the non-shedding kind. :)

Thanks for all the comments on this tread. I read them every day, though I don't post. Many comments have been helpful for our January cruise which will include 2 guide dog teams.

Mary (Agutaya)

I absolutely would NEVER recommend anyone order these vests online.......I am very troubled by the ease of ordering online and what it opens up to ANYONE who can do this.......and, the problems that it makes for legitimate service dogs and the downgrading of our legitimacy!

There is nothing wrong with a legit SD owner ordering a new vest online. Not everybody has gone through a program or through a program that gives their own vests out (and where do you think many programs get their vests? These companies!) - or not everybody likes the vest their program gives out (or the vest they got was dirty, broken, or didn't fit well).

There is definitely something wrong with a pet owner ordering a vest. But if they didn't order it, they could just make their own, anyway, so it really doesn't make a difference. Liars and scofflaws will be liars and scofflaws.

Brenda has had 2 years of formal training...I had to live on CCI's campus and go through rigorous classes and training with several service dogs and then have daily written, oral and hands-on testing in order for me to EARN my public access license; and, she must be re-certified every 1 to 3 years, depending on her abilities in order to earn HER public access.

Yes, my dog and I have gone through a lot for our certification, as well (though different from your process, as you didn't have your dog through the training, but for a few weeks), and recertification happens every two years. However, certification is not required in the US. Many ppl train their own SDs and don't have anybody to certify them. There aren't enough program dogs for everybody who needs them - you know how long the waitlists are - and there aren't programs to fit everybody's needs, either. As long as their dogs fit the SD standard (do tasks that the human needs due to their disability and have top-notch public access skills), there is nothing wrong with that. They have to get vests somewhere.

Between $25,000 and $35,000 is invested into these service dogs to qualify them to become the workers that they are.....and then Ebay comes along and offers a "Service Dog" vest to anyone who can pay for it. And, then they bring their pets into public places; they're not trained; they act badly and give all of us a "bad name!"

Yes, some idiots do that. And some businesses don't know enough to kick such dogs out - even if the dogs were real SDs they could legally kick them out for ill behaviour (such as continually barking during a movie). And some ppl train their pets in public access and pass them off as SDs 'cause they need a security blanket (er, security dog) to make them feel warm and fuzzy. It is a problem, but the problem isn't caused by eBay vests. The problem is the ppl doing it, wanting to bring Fluffy and Muffy where they do not belong. And obviously not understanding the needs of disabled ppl.

I have purchased a vest online in the past and if I needed another one (which I don't, since I don't use a vest), I would do it again. I also purchased my custom mobility harness online (didn't like the one from my trainer - it hurt my wrists and the handle couldn't be put down for going under tables and being in a down for a while and all), from a company/person who also sells to some programs. The pack I use with the harness I altered from a pet dog backpack and embroidered myself. Nothing wrong with any of that 'cause I have a real SD, who also happens to be certified. Now, if I did it for a pet, then there would be something seriously wrong with that. (But for the price of the harness, I don't think any pet owner would go that far!! :p )

Hi Mary:

Just read Mason's Blog. It is wonderful. :) I am sure it will also be meaningful when Mason's future partner becomes aware of it and is able to access the information.

Well done.

gg3: You made me cry.....Thank you so very much for your kind words. Brenda and all that she does for me is a miracle. I love her with my heart and soul! My respect and admiration for these amazing service animals fills me! Again, thank you!:)

Mary: What a great "blog"...I enjoyed every picture and tale about Mason and his "friends!" I haven't finished reading everything but what I did, I loved! What a beautiful dog! I adore the faces of this mix! You inquired about what to do about the dogs and entrance onto Southwest....Are you a member of IAADP? (Independent Associtation of Assistance Dog Partners) they have a website...if so, contact them and they will direct you to help! (Even if you are not a member they still may be able to assist you in getting admission to an airline!)

Quam: CCI, upon graduation, fits all their graduate dogs with a proper fitting vest/harness or whatever is needed to make your life better. They will also replace the vest (at no cost) when it wears out or the dogs size changes. CCI also has HEARING DOGS AVAILABLE WITH *NO WAIT LIST for hearing dogs....just the normal interview process. *It's important to understand that this changes quickly. So, if you know of anyone who has the need for a *hearing/facility or skilled companion service dog please contact CCI. They are located all over the United States. I don't work for them....I'm just a very grateful graduate!

Not every organization fits everyone's needs. That being said we MUST all be good steward's both to our working dogs as well as to the public. And, what fits for you may not fit for other's!

You inquired about what to do about the dogs and entrance onto Southwest....Are you a member of IAADP? (Independent Associtation of Assistance Dog Partners) they have a website...if so, contact them and they will direct you to help! (Even if you are not a member they still may be able to assist you in getting admission to an airline!)

Just wanted to say that the International Association of Assistance Dog Partners has a "Friend" level membership that anybody can join as, but in order to be a partner level (can't recall what they call it), one must be disabled and have a fully-trained service dog (no in-training dogs, even if it is the disabled person's dog for himself). Puppy raisers cannot join at the partner level.

Dogs in training don't fall under the airline access laws. You would have to either take the dog on as a pet (if it is too big to fit in a carrier under the seat, it would have to fly below in the hold) and pay the pet fees or plead with an airline to let you in the cabin with the dog (might want to have your school do that for you). Ask your school about the type of puppy raisers that take dogs temporarily when the regular puppy raiser family is on vacation if you can't take your dog with you. Oh yeah - if you've got the money, you could also find a private plane for rent that will allow the dog in the cabin with you. Or you can check out one of the new pet-friendly airlines that is trying to start up (as far as I know, neither of the two I know about has had a single flight yet).

Quam: CCI, upon graduation, fits all their graduate dogs with a proper fitting vest/harness or whatever is needed to make your life better. They will also replace the vest (at no cost) when it wears out or the dogs size changes. CCI also has HEARING DOGS AVAILABLE WITH *NO WAIT LIST for hearing dogs....just the normal interview process. *It's important to understand that this changes quickly. So, if you know of anyone who has the need for a *hearing/facility or skilled companion service dog please contact CCI. They are located all over the United States. I don't work for them....I'm just a very grateful graduate!

But not everybody may want the particular vest CCI gives them. I do know of ppl who use different vests from the one their program gave them, just as I use a different harness from the one my trainer tried to give me. (And I am SOOO happy I did that!! I know she was trying to save me money, but the harness I use is perfect for my needs - and doesn't hurt my wrist like hers did.)

I'm in contact every day with many SD handlers of all different types (guide, hearing, mobility, etc.) with the dog from different places (program, private trainer, owner-trained) who live around the world. They swap out gear all the time. And some sell their used gear on eBay to help them pay their bills.

Not every organization fits everyone's needs. That being said we MUST all be good steward's both to our working dogs as well as to the public. And, what fits for you may not fit for other's!

Uh, yes, that's my point. :)

[/b][/color]

Dogs in training don't fall under the airline access laws. You would have to either take the dog on as a pet (if it is too big to fit in a carrier under the seat, it would have to fly below in the hold) and pay the pet fees or plead with an airline to let you in the cabin with the dog (might want to have your school do that for you). Ask your school about the type of puppy raisers that take dogs temporarily when the regular puppy raiser family is on vacation if you can't take your dog with you.

Quam, I now know that dogs in training don't fall under the airline access laws. However our first guide dog puppy flew 13 flights with my DH and/or me. She changed planes in Chicago O'Hare and Houston Intl. We flew on 4 airlines with her (United, USAirways, ExpressJet and Continental). But last May when I went to fly with our current guide dog puppy on Southwest she was denied boarding. (this is all explained in the blog - see above for the address.) I wanted to give the lastest puppy the learning experience of flying and learning not to freak out.

I was told by Southwest staff that they don't even let pets fly in the planes. (I later saw a tv show where Southwest allowed penguins on a flight and they even walked up and down the aisle!) I could have gotten a puppy sitter, and later did, but the point was to help the puppy learn about flying and to take him with me for other experineces where I was visiting.

It would be especially helpful for our organization, Guide Dogs of Texas, to be able to take the dogs in training on Southwest flights because we sometimes take a dog to another place in Texas to see if the dog would be a good match for a new client when we go to do an initial visit. Southwest has good connections and prices. We'll keep trying to see if we can't get Southwest to allow guide dogs in training to fly with qualified trainers. Roz, I'll check with IAADP to see if they could help.

Agutaya: You're doing such a wonderful job...Thank you so much on behalf of all the lucky people who will benefit from all that you do!

I'm sorry to hear about Southwest....and the puppies who, as you've stated, need this integral training to be fully well-rounded and be able to fly with their partners one day.

Education is so vital.....we have to use our resources to train everyone....you should call CCI and ask them what they do with puppies that have to be flown across the country and Southwest is the only choice? CCI - 707.577.1700. Please let us know.

I know that licensed service graduate dogs have no problem on Southwest....but, these pups are so important....they're our future!!!!!

Be well and please don't stop doing what you do.....we need you!!!!!

I'm humbled by your good work!

Quam, I now know that dogs in training don't fall under the airline access laws. However our first guide dog puppy flew 13 flights with my DH and/or me. She changed planes in Chicago O'Hare and Houston Intl. We flew on 4 airlines with her (United, USAirways, ExpressJet and Continental). But last May when I went to fly with our current guide dog puppy on Southwest she was denied boarding. (this is all explained in the blog - see above for the address.) I wanted to give the lastest puppy the learning experience of flying and learning not to freak out.

Remember that it also depends on who is working the airport/flight that day. The ppl who let you on may not have been clear on the airline's rules (airlines can have a rule allowing in-training dogs if they want - they just normally don't) or may not have realized your dog was in training or may not have wanted to put up a battle or may have been big dog lovers or may have realized it is good training, etc.

Does your school have training sessions for the pups on planes? I know some schools take a group of pups flying (with no other passengers on the plane - just ppl from the school) on a prior arrangement with an airline. I don't recall what airline(s) do this or which, if any, allow in-training dogs.

I was told by Southwest staff that they don't even let pets fly in the planes. (I later saw a tv show where Southwest allowed penguins on a flight and they even walked up and down the aisle!) I could have gotten a puppy sitter, and later did, but the point was to help the puppy learn about flying and to take him with me for other experineces where I was visiting.

Yeah, a lot of airlines are cutting back on pets both in the cabin and below in the baggage hold. Never heard of penguins running all over a plane, though! That would be a sight to see! :) Those little critters are so cute!

It would be especially helpful for our organization, Guide Dogs of Texas, to be able to take the dogs in training on Southwest flights because we sometimes take a dog to another place in Texas to see if the dog would be a good match for a new client when we go to do an initial visit. Southwest has good connections and prices. We'll keep trying to see if we can't get Southwest to allow guide dogs in training to fly with qualified trainers. Roz, I'll check with IAADP to see if they could help.

Some airlines do allow trainers to take dogs with them if they are bringing them to their future handlers, but I don't know if initial visits would count for that.

I know I read on the JetBlue Web site that they do NOT accept in-training dogs. I don't think it is on Delta's Web site, but a lady there I was in contact with (over something else to do with SDs - I think it was that some planes are being made with the bulkhead as an exit row so that disabled ppl can't sit there - but she mentioned this) said they do not allow in-training dogs. I'm not sure about the others, but I do know some schools take dogs training on flights every now and again. I'm not sure who pays for it, though!

If you teach your dogs to use 'puppy pads' at home (they make sizes for any dog) and bring a couple with you to put in the box provided on the ship it can be a huge help for your dog to understand that is the place they are supposed to 'go'. No need to bring enough for the entire trip, just enough to give your dog the idea. Disposable pads are also great for throwing on top of the pellets that tend to cause discomfort on heavier dog's paws but they do take up quite a bit of space if you use them every day. Hope this helps!

HHFamily: I have tried to train Brenda on the pads. She doesn't like them. She loves to "hover" over her toileting spot and does several swivels! When she does this and when the pads moved under her paws, she walked away and refused to use them, even when I placed them on dirt (hoping that would keep them from moving!)

If it moves, while she's hovering, she's suspicious and walks away. It's her own idioscincracy. We've had her for 5 years, she's perfect in every way, except this......I'm assuming it all started when she was intially being trained as a pup! :rolleyes:

HHFamily: I have tried to train Brenda on the pads. She doesn't like them. She loves to "hover" over her toileting spot and does several swivels! When she does this and when the pads moved under her paws, she walked away and refused to use them, even when I placed them on dirt (hoping that would keep them from moving!)

If it moves, while she's hovering, she's suspicious and walks away. It's her own idioscincracy. We've had her for 5 years, she's perfect in every way, except this......I'm assuming it all started when she was intially being trained as a pup! :rolleyes:

Sometimes they do insist they we are asking too much of them, and simply put their foot...err...paw down lol. If you decide to give it another shot there are 'frames' for the pads that may help depending on how much she swivels around with her weight on them. Here are a couple in case you haven't seen them.

http://thepuppyshop.com/padholder.html

http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023689&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302032890&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441779349&bmUID=1162385395782 This is what I have but it doesn't stand up great to a lot of movement from a big dog. The first one looks like it would be much better, I may have to try one myself....well, for the dogs anyhow.

You're so cute.....she would make "shreds" of these.....she weighs 70lbs and she's never missed hitting the 4x4 or 4x3 box's that have been provided by the different cruise lines (and, that's with her amazing "circles" that she does, in one spot, before she's approved of the "spot!")

She would NEVER be able to be dainty enough to not "shred" the pad and then she'd be totally giving me "dirty looks", like, "what the heck were you thinking, blondie?"

She's PERFECT in every way and has NEVER had an accident in all the years we've had her....Why try to fix something that aint broke?

Thanks for trying...I'm always open to new and easy ways to travel.....she's get a plan and it works for all of us, so far! ;)

You're so cute.....she would make "shreds" of these.....she weighs 70lbs and she's never missed hitting the 4x4 or 4x3 box's that have been provided by the different cruise lines (and, that's with her amazing "circles" that she does, in one spot, before she's approved of the "spot!")

She would NEVER be able to be dainty enough to not "shred" the pad and then she'd be totally giving me "dirty looks", like, "what the heck were you thinking, blondie?"

She's PERFECT in every way and has NEVER had an accident in all the years we've had her....Why try to fix something that aint broke?

Thanks for trying...I'm always open to new and easy ways to travel.....she's get a plan and it works for all of us, so far! ;)

LOL Ah well, it was worth a shot.

When I take my little guy to the 4x4 box, to show him that this is his spot to go, it is so funny. He sits down in it looking cute and thats all. The second time, same thing. By the third trip to the box, he is willing to give the box a try. It could be he can now pick up the scent of his own footsteps. After that, he knows this is his place.