Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

2 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Dramatic end to our vacation cruise on Sunday. Bob opened the front door around 5 p.m. after I fed the dog, and this is what greeted him! A trapper eventually came a few hours later, a neighbor told us today, and carried the gator off to release him in an undeveloped area.

B6EBC7D0-87AC-4727-A32C-B7463174A2A7.jpeg

2A04EBD1-5613-417B-8362-CF26E2DB2BF6.jpeg

Yikes! 😱

3 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Dramatic end to our vacation cruise on Sunday. Bob opened the front door around 5 p.m. after I fed the dog, and this is what greeted him! A trapper eventually came a few hours later, a neighbor told us today, and carried the gator off to release him in an undeveloped area.

WHAT!!!!!!  I know this sounds weird........These "things" are what my nightmares are made of!  I live in the city of L.A. mainly because I will NEVER have a chance encounter with this!!!!!  My nightmare beast!!!!!

On 4/15/2019 at 5:26 AM, wizard-of-roz said:

Kali is so cute!  Boy or girl? 

Thank you!  Kali is a girl 🙂

I have so many questions.  Is Kali a Poodle?  Or Poodle mix?  They are such brilliant dogs.  I have been seriously thinking of going towards a more "allergy" friendly dog because of my persistent sinusitis and upon recommendation of my doctor.

Dad is a Standard Poodle, mom is half Standard Poodle, half German Shepherd.

Where did you get Kali, where was he/she trained?  Tell us more!  Is it a training Org.  Or, was she privately trained? 

She came from a breeder in Atlanta and I trained her myself. 

I am seriously looking into a Successor Dog that is more allergy friendly when Horty is ready to retire and would love to hear more about Kali.

She has been a dream to train and work with.  SUPER smart, sometimes TOO smart lol.  You are more than welcome to check out her FB page.  We have lots of photos and information there! It's at KaliTheServiceDog.

You're going to love cruising with your dog, and the ship is going to love him/her!

I can't wait!  On our last cruise (the only one I've done since she was fully trained) I felt so lost without her, and so upset by having to depend so heavily on my human companions.  They are always willing, but as you all know, it's not about that.  We are a team, and with her by my side I am SO much more independent.

P.S.  Love the booties! 🐩

Thank you!  We live in GA and the asphalt here can get dangerously hot.

2 hours ago, HHFamily said:

Thank you for being so kind to answer my intrusive questions.   She is a combination of two brilliant breeds.

You should be very proud of what you've done with Kali.  

I would bug my wonderful husband to go everywhere with me before I applied to CCI.  He was my "Service Person."  He helped me to keep my job and used to come to work with me as a volunteer, he was actually helping me!   Then I got my first Service Dog, Brenda and my husband was free to go about his own life! 

Now, Horton gives me the independence to go everywhere and not be hyper-vigilant and afraid.  He is my hero through life!  I'm sure you feel the same about Kali.   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Nope! 

On 4/17/2019 at 8:24 AM, Caribbean Chris said:

Box filler was very unsatisfactory, unusually so for HAL, which in the past has provided a full box of fresh green sod. The two 4’ square plywood boxes contained only small, dry, withered sod patches, which the dogs were reluctant to use. The rest of the box had leftover dirt from previous sod, so when the dogs peed, the liquid ran off into the dirt and turned into mud under their paws. So of course they tracked it onto the deck. Very messy, unsanitary, and disappointing, and my numerous requests never resulted in any improvement. None of this was typical of HAL in my past experience.

5069C9B4-6606-4E09-B57E-EA07481B4F1B.jpeg

That relief box is almost comical! One has to wonder if the people who set these things up have any common sense. You don't even need to have a dog to know that those two small pieces of dead sod are unacceptable. The Department of Transportation has said that they will address animal relief areas in their next rulemaking phase concerning accessibility standards on cruise ships (however, that was in 2010 and no progress has been made). 

I am glad that you and Raylene had a good time in spite of it. Our dogs are pretty good about adapting when they need to.

Dianne

1 hour ago, DUTRAVEL said:

That relief box is almost comical! One has to wonder if the people who set these things up have any common sense. You don't even need to have a dog to know that those two small pieces of dead sod are unacceptable. The Department of Transportation has said that they will address animal relief areas in their next rulemaking phase concerning accessibility standards on cruise ships (however, that was in 2010 and no progress has been made). 

I am glad that you and Raylene had a good time in spite of it. Our dogs are pretty good about adapting when they need to.

Dianne

Beyond ridiculous!!!!

You all know that I don't leave the Passenger Services Desk unless I have a satisfactory resolution to my dog's potty box filler and placement. 

I pay a lot of money for my cruises and, although I know that some of the crew are more accommodating than others, I will bug the crap out of them until I'm happy.  And, sometimes it takes the entire embarkation day until I'm appeased but I'll be darned if they think I'm just going to walk away........They have the capability of making it right......I won't leave them alone until they do!!!!!!  I remain calm, pleasant and insistent. 

I pack extra large piddle pads and artificial turf.  I will lay down the pads and place the turf on top, on my veranda until they make me happy!  Horton easily uses this and then uses the final box placement, as well.  I also bring a large garbage bag and clean up the pads and place the turf over the filler/box when all is good.  I leave the turf when I disembark.  I also bring my own potty bags, pick up the solid waste and place it in the receptacle they provide.  I call it the "Potty Dance",  I'm so used to it that when a ship has the box set-up and in place, I'm absolutely shocked.  Very, very happy but shocked!!!!!  Again, Carnival does this best.  Not my favorite cruise line but they and NCL know exactly what to do and have the box/filler and placement down pat!

Horton deserves to be treated well and they have the means to do just that!!!!!  It would be so nice if Princess would "get it" before I'm too old to cruise!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

You all know that I don't leave the Passenger Services Desk unless I have a satisfactory resolution to my dog's potty box filler and placement. 

I pay a lot of money for my cruises and, although I know that some of the crew are more accommodating than others, I will bug the crap out of them until I'm happy.  And, sometimes it takes the entire embarkation day until I'm appeased but I'll be darned if they think I'm just going to walk away........They have the capability of making it right......I won't leave them alone until they do!!!!!!  I remain calm, pleasant and insistent. 

I do the same thing Roz! Its so annoying because this could all be taken care of ahead of time. A simple inquiry as to your preferred location and filler for the relief box before you even board. We could be like everyone else and be enjoying a foo-foo drink poolside on the first day. Its stressful enough to travel with a disability without having to spend your first day worrying over where your service dog is going to be able to relieve himself/herself.

Have a nice weekend - we are finally getting some warm sunny weather in Northern California.

Dianne

40 minutes ago, DUTRAVEL said:

I do the same thing Roz! Its so annoying because this could all be taken care of ahead of time. A simple inquiry as to your preferred location and filler for the relief box before you even board. We could be like everyone else and be enjoying a foo-foo drink poolside on the first day. Its stressful enough to travel with a disability without having to spend your first day worrying over where your service dog is going to be able to relieve himself/herself.

Have a nice weekend - we are finally getting some warm sunny weather in Northern California.

Dianne

Thank you Dianne.  It helps to know that I'm no alone!  A HUGE minority but not alone!  💖

A question about potty boxes - do they have some sort of bottom or something other than bark or chips to absorb the ‘liquid waste’?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Edited by Miki_moto

4 hours ago, Miki_moto said:

A question about potty boxes - do they have some sort of bottom or something other than bark or chips to absorb the ‘liquid waste’?

The boxes we have used had a plywood bottom with just the mulch, bark or sod with the exception of our last cruise. On that cruise, they had a large piece of plastic between the bark and the bottom of the box.

Dianne

4 hours ago, Miki_moto said:

We’ve been on Holland America bad Celebrity about equally for my dog’s ten cruises. I hope others will add what they’ve found.

I’ve seen plywood boxes with either a layer of sod (grass up, dirt on the bottom) or a thick layer of garden-type mulch chips. Nothing underneath, but they both somewhat absorb and hold the liquid when the box is filled properly. 

Twice on celebrity, the filler was a sawdust & shavings mixture that had hamsters and rabbits pictured on the wrapper of the extra stock nearby, so clearly was sold for their cages. Nothing beneath that either, and all the lightweight stuff blew around in the wind.

5 hours ago, Miki_moto said:

On the Disney Dream, it was a large plastic box lined with absorbent potty pads and sod on top

Wow, thanks for the replies!

I’m noticing that the box/pool setup I’ve been using for training purposes is pretty stinky, even though it’s still outside and it’s dumped after every use and we keep changing the location!  I can’t help but wonder what it will be like after ten days.  

We encountered a service dog on one of our Transatlantic crossings.  I spoke to the handler about the box and he said it was placed in a stairwell close to his stateroom.  He was vague as to what fill was being used and I meant to check it out but never got to.

So I’m wondering if I can manage the door to the stairwell without help.  I’m guessing those doors can be pretty heavy.  Has anyone dealt with the space restrictions of a narrow corridor, a power wheelchair and a heavy door?  

5 hours ago, Miki_moto said:

The boxes are lined with heavy duty plastic and then it's up to the ship as to what they fill the box with.  I have requested cedar mulch [easy to buy from a garden shop, by the bag], but there's not a guarantee that that's what the ship will use.   

They may use pellets, bark, chips, mulch, sod or wood shavings.  The easiest for them would be wood shavings from their very own woodworking dept. [every ship has one.]  The bark, chips and pellets can be very hurtful on their paws and make they shy of using the box.  

I don't care what they use, I bring a rolled up 4x5 piece of green patio cover [I cut drainage holes in it] and I cover the crap they use and Horton doesn't mind walking on it and he uses it like a champ!  

14 minutes ago, Miki_moto said:

I’m noticing that the box/pool setup I’ve been using for training purposes is pretty stinky, even though it’s still outside and it’s dumped after every use and we keep changing the location!  I can’t help but wonder what it will be like after ten days.  

We encountered a service dog on one of our Transatlantic crossings.  I spoke to the handler about the box and he said it was placed in a stairwell close to his stateroom.  He was vague as to what fill was being used and I meant to check it out but never got to.

So I’m wondering if I can manage the door to the stairwell without help.  I’m guessing those doors can be pretty heavy.  Has anyone dealt with the space restrictions of a narrow corridor, a power wheelchair and a heavy door?  

There is no odor, even after a 21 day cruise.  Again, I place the green patio piece over the filler, I cut drainage holes in it and Horton is a 85 pound big body reliever kind of dog [if you know what I mean.]  The fake grass is great for Horton to walk on easily, no matter what filler they use.  The best way to keep the odor down is to pick up the solid waste immediately and place into a closed receptacle.   I also bring a deodorizing spray and squirt it a few times after each use.  You can place another kind of air deodorant in the area.  My favorite lavender/vanilla.  

The stairwell door is extremely heavy and has a lip to step up or down.  If you're in a chair it would be difficult to maneuver.   If you have someone with you to assist in helping with the opening and closing it would be better.  You can time your dog's potty usage to the time that the Stewards are making up the cabins, and get their help in opening and closing the heavy door.

2 hours ago, Miki_moto said:

On our November cruise, the box was located mid-ship in a crew stairway area. This was the first time we have had it located inside (due to high winds on our Atlantic crossing - they were even tying down the furniture on the balconies and so we were unable to have it there).  The area had automatic door so there was no problem accessing the box by myself in a manual wheelchair.  We have also had the box located outside down a narrow corridor (the aptly named wind tunnel) with heavy manual doors and difficult thresholds. On those occasions, I was unable to access the box myself and insisted that it be moved. It might be a little easier with a power wheelchair since at least you would have one free hand, but it would still be difficult.

Dianne

2 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

There is no odor, even after a 21 day cruise.  Again, I place the green patio piece over the filler, I cut drainage holes in it and Horton is a 85 pound big body reliever kind of dog [if you know what I mean.]  The fake grass is great for Horton to walk on easily, no matter what filler they use.  The best way to keep the odor down is to pick up the solid waste immediately and place into a closed receptacle.   I also bring a deodorizing spray and squirt it a few times after each use.  You can place another kind of air deodorant in the area.  My favorite lavender/vanilla.  

The stairwell door is extremely heavy and has a lip to step up or down.  If you're in a chair it would be difficult to maneuver.   If you have someone with you to assist in helping with the opening and closing it would be better.  You can time your dog's potty usage to the time that the Stewards are making up the cabins, and get their help in opening and closing the heavy door.

I bag the solids when they are deposited.  The odor is from urine.  This guy has the stinkiest pee of any dog I’ve ever met!  We can’t toilet him near the house because of it.  This is the reason I’m happy not to have the box on the balcony.

I got a piece of the replacement fake grass made for dog potty stations.  He has no problem going on it and I plan to get a fresh piece to bring with us.  He doesn’t seem bothered about going on on any surfaces; he’ll go on anything.  

Maybe I’ll have to pass over the potty duty to someone else!  ;-)

44 minutes ago, DUTRAVEL said:

On our November cruise, the box was located mid-ship in a crew stairway area. This was the first time we have had it located inside (due to high winds on our Atlantic crossing - they were even tying down the furniture on the balconies and so we were unable to have it there).  The area had automatic door so there was no problem accessing the box by myself in a manual wheelchair.  We have also had the box located outside down a narrow corridor (the aptly named wind tunnel) with heavy manual doors and difficult thresholds. On those occasions, I was unable to access the box myself and insisted that it be moved. It might be a little easier with a power wheelchair since at least you would have one free hand, but it would still be difficult.

Dianne

I’m not willing to put myself out to make things easy for the cruise line so I’ll have to see where they put the box.  It isn’t as if Cunard doesn’t have decades of experience dealing with dogs onboard - at least on the Queen Mary 2!

The balcony would be a handy place for the box but if I can get something manageable near our stateroom I think that would be the best option.