Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I hope that all the nonsense that is going on has not affected any of you.......of course, it affects us all, doesn't it?  

I always wonder what would happen to my Service Dog in a circumstance like what happened in El Paso or Dayton?  It goes through my mind that some crazy person would shoot my Horty and I immediately get teary.  I'm sorry for all of us that we have to think of such things at all.

I tell myself that I don't want to go out because of the hot weather.......I wonder if it's not a bit of PTSD.  Take care of yourselves.  I pray that we will all heal from this.

On 8/3/2019 at 3:18 PM, S.S. Cruisers said:

We are melting!  109, going to be 113.  Rockford does not do the heat!  As long as there is a shady place he will go pots.  But if no shade, he bee-lines it back too the doer to get in.  I have to carry him clear down the side of the house, past the pool.  Little booger is getting heavy!  He is getting better and better every day, except for the biting!  Sharp, sharp, sharp nails and teeth!  He has Kong toys to chew on but that gets boring.  I put one of them in the freezer for him, he seems to like that.

We want pics of the little devil!! 

On 8/6/2019 at 5:17 AM, wizard-of-roz said:

I hope that all the nonsense that is going on has not affected any of you.......of course, it affects us all, doesn't it?  

I always wonder what would happen to my Service Dog in a circumstance like what happened in El Paso or Dayton?  It goes through my mind that some crazy person would shoot my Horty and I immediately get teary.  I'm sorry for all of us that we have to think of such things at all.

I tell myself that I don't want to go out because of the hot weather.......I wonder if it's not a bit of PTSD.  Take care of yourselves.  I pray that we will all heal from this.

How can you not be affected by all thats going on. We were at Walmart last week. Makes me not want to go anywhere. 😢 Besides its hot as hell here 😩 Can't wait til fall. 

Edited by rangeley

4 hours ago, rangeley said:

How can you not be affected by all thats going on. We were at Walmart last week. Makes me not want to go anywhere. 😢 Besides its hot as hell here 😩 Can't wait til fall. 

I can't wait for November........2 weeks of cruising......and, SUMMERS OVER!

When I think about it, I can't believe I'm actually going on a California Coastal cruise and stopping in a Port that I've never been to off of a cruise ship.  It's Monterey, Ca.  Princess just added it to their itineraries and I'm very happy about it.  It's a quaint and lovely little town where movie stars live......it'll be fun to see from the ocean's point of view!

Princess also added a "Premiere Drinking Package"; it's non-alcoholic but does include specialty coffees, smoothies, shakes and all the virgin drinks.  I think my granddaughter and I will like this and if either one of us wants a very infrequent alcoholic drink I'll just have to pay for it.  I usually buy the full drinking packages and wind-up ordering a lot but not really finishing anything.  A total waste of money.  

9 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I can't wait for November........2 weeks of cruising......and, SUMMERS OVER!

When I think about it, I can't believe I'm actually going on a California Coastal cruise and stopping in a Port that I've never been to off of a cruise ship.  It's Monterey, Ca.  Princess just added it to their itineraries and I'm very happy about it.  It's a quaint and lovely little town where movie stars live......it'll be fun to see from the ocean's point of view!

Princess also added a "Premiere Drinking Package"; it's non-alcoholic but does include specialty coffees, smoothies, shakes and all the virgin drinks.  I think my granddaughter and I will like this and if either one of us wants a very infrequent alcoholic drink I'll just have to pay for it.  I usually buy the full drinking packages and wind-up ordering a lot but not really finishing anything.  A total waste of money.  

Are you doing 2 cruises? No handicapped cabins for the one I found. ☹️

Edited by rangeley

How did you know to call "it" the little devil?  My arms and legs are scratched and bit up like no tomorrow!  I need a puppy raiser and then pick the little devil up when he's about 18months - 24 months old!!!! Here is the back view.  He was 8 weeks old Wednesday.  He is a very smart boy.  No 💩's in the house at all.  Now peeing is another story.  Good and bad days.  2 days ago, no accidents in the house, yesterday he was peeing machine.  The little booger can be so lazy, he goes outside , sits down and then pees!  I will have to take some current photos. 

IMG_0771.JPG

IMG_0772.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

How did you know to call "it" the little devil?  My arms and legs are scratched and bit up like no tomorrow!  I need a puppy raiser and then pick the little devil up when he's about 18months - 24 months old!!!! Here is the back view.  He was 8 weeks old Wednesday.  He is a very smart boy.  No 💩's in the house at all.  Now peeing is another story.  Good and bad days.  2 days ago, no accidents in the house, yesterday he was peeing machine.  The little booger can be so lazy, he goes outside , sits down and then pees!  I will have to take some current photos. 

IMG_0771.JPG

IMG_0772.JPG

What a cutie!! I'm sure his peeing probs will get better soon. I'm glad we skipped that messy stage and got a perfectly trained dog. But we also missed 2 years of his life. 

7 hours ago, rangeley said:

Are you doing 2 cruises? No handicapped cabins for the one I found. ☹️

I'm doing a back to back on board the Royal Princess, leaving on November 9 and returning on November 23.  The first leg is a Calif. Coastal and the second leg is the Mexican Riviera.  

1 minute ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I'm doing a back to back on board the Royal Princess, leaving on November 9 and returning on November 23.  The first leg is a Calif. Coastal and the second leg is the Mexican Riviera.  

Actually looked up the coastal one. Flights out there are dirt cheap. Wish there was a handicapped cabin available. 

22 hours ago, rangeley said:

I don't usually do the shopping.  I went to Walmart today.  Upon entering I looked at everyone and then spent most my time in the back of the store in areas that were remote, until I went to check out.  At check out I picked the middle check out.  All of this was to put myself at possible locations that a shooter may not target at first.  Who would have ever thought we would ever think about these things.

Linda and Halo

1 hour ago, rangeley said:

Actually looked up the coastal one. Flights out there are dirt cheap. Wish there was a handicapped cabin available. 

Oh! No!  I would love you to be on this cruise with me.  

50 minutes ago, rpclmc said:

I don't usually do the shopping.  I went to Walmart today.  Upon entering I looked at everyone and then spent most my time in the back of the store in areas that were remote, until I went to check out.  At check out I picked the middle check out.  All of this was to put myself at possible locations that a shooter may not target at first.  Who would have ever thought we would ever think about these things.

Linda and Halo

Linda, I'm so sorry that you have to feel this way at all.  You're not alone.  It's enough to make us all agoraphopic.  I refuse to become fearful of the world around me....although it's sure easy to do so.

20 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Oh! No!  I would love you to be on this cruise with me.  

Linda, I'm so sorry that you have to feel this way at all.  You're not alone.  It's enough to make us all agoraphopic.  I refuse to become fearful of the world around me....although it's sure easy to do so.

I know we are all feeling this way; or at least most of us.  I would have never guessed it would be like this. I say I refuse to become fearful, I keep trying to keep doing things.  At times I make final choices based on environments.  For example, Garth Brooks performed on our Blue Turf (Boise State University) and Blake Shelton appeared also.  I love both of them.  I don't like crowds and I am not big on concerts.  This is one I considered going to.  But since I don't like crowds or concerts - for the most part - and the Vegas shooting came up in my mind, the shootings made up my mind.  Although it wasn't the only reason, I would say it was the deciding factor.  Now if I liked concerts and didn't mind crowds, I would have gone.

Linda and Halo

6 hours ago, rpclmc said:

I know we are all feeling this way; or at least most of us.  I would have never guessed it would be like this. I say I refuse to become fearful, I keep trying to keep doing things.  At times I make final choices based on environments.  For example, Garth Brooks performed on our Blue Turf (Boise State University) and Blake Shelton appeared also.  I love both of them.  I don't like crowds and I am not big on concerts.  This is one I considered going to.  But since I don't like crowds or concerts - for the most part - and the Vegas shooting came up in my mind, the shootings made up my mind.  Although it wasn't the only reason, I would say it was the deciding factor.  Now if I liked concerts and didn't mind crowds, I would have gone.

Linda and Halo

I hear you!

17 hours ago, rpclmc said:

Linda and Halo

Sad we have to live like this. 

Just got back from Alaska. Chavela was great, the dog relief areas were fine, shore time was wonderful. It went so good I signed up for another cruise. Thanks everyone for your life changing help. I am now cruising with a service dog. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Just got back from Alaska. Chavela was great, the dog relief areas were fine, shore time was wonderful. It went so good I signed up for another cruise. Thanks everyone for your life changing help. I am now cruising with a service dog. 

That’s wonderful!

2 hours ago, lindaler said:

Wonderful!  I'm so glad that you have another cruise booked.  Welcome to the secret club of Cruising With a Service Dog! 🚢 🐩  Many of our members don't have Service Dog's but they're our most loyal supporters! 

Any of you cruised on a Celebrity M-class in the last few years, in an Accessible Sky Suite?  I have one booked on Constellation for 2020 out of Tampa.   I’m in one of the deck 8 rooms, luckily not backing up to the elevator but next door to that one.  

After doing some soul searching, I decided I need to break down and book accessible from now on.  I’ll manage during my next two cruises with regular staterooms, but I’m learning I need the extra grab bars in the bathroom, the raised toilet, etc.  Between the ankle and knee pain and the lasting numbness, I’m guessing I need to accept it.  Luckily, Scooter enjoys doing retrieval’s.  

Part of of me feels bad at taking the accessible suite if I don’t 100% need it, but after the cruise in February when I could not get one, was actually using a wheelchair and needed it, I broke down.  I can’t get into one for this December, Feb 2020 or Feb 20201 as of this point, though.  The WC didn’t fit through the door unless we at least partly collapsed it, and once in the room it didn’t fit between the bed and the wall.  

How bad is the water in the bathroom after a shower?  That is one of the things I hate about accessible rooms.  We had a hotel room in January where the water went everywhere.  It was scary.  That was when I was completely non-weight bearing and needed the shower seat (that was missing - grrrr).

On 8/15/2019 at 9:04 PM, lindaler said:

So glad thing went well! Now you can relax and enjoy cruising. 

8 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

Any of you cruised on a Celebrity M-class in the last few years, in an Accessible Sky Suite?  I have one booked on Constellation for 2020 out of Tampa.   I’m in one of the deck 8 rooms, luckily not backing up to the elevator but next door to that one.  

After doing some soul searching, I decided I need to break down and book accessible from now on.  I’ll manage during my next two cruises with regular staterooms, but I’m learning I need the extra grab bars in the bathroom, the raised toilet, etc.  Between the ankle and knee pain and the lasting numbness, I’m guessing I need to accept it.  Luckily, Scooter enjoys doing retrieval’s.  

Part of of me feels bad at taking the accessible suite if I don’t 100% need it, but after the cruise in February when I could not get one, was actually using a wheelchair and needed it, I broke down.  I can’t get into one for this December, Feb 2020 or Feb 20201 as of this point, though.  The WC didn’t fit through the door unless we at least partly collapsed it, and once in the room it didn’t fit between the bed and the wall.  

How bad is the water in the bathroom after a shower?  That is one of the things I hate about accessible rooms.  We had a hotel room in January where the water went everywhere.  It was scary.  That was when I was completely non-weight bearing and needed the shower seat (that was missing - grrrr).

Pleass don't feel bad booking an accessible cabin if you need it. Change is hard but we all have to accept it. ☹️

1 minute ago, rangeley said:

So glad thing went well! Now you can relax and enjoy cruising. 

Thanks to your encouragement and suggestions we practiced for 30 days for her to pee in a box and 15 more for needing the bag. I had learned to stand up to where a box on board could be placed and asked for sod. She didn’t get sea sick and the crew treated her like one of the family. I saw many pictures of their puppies at home. Most of the passengers were kind if not noisy but only a few threw snide comments our way. It was wonderful to travel with her. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

I struggled with needing the wheelchair and an accessible room.  People think you are giving up, actually giving up would be not accepting those things and staying home because you can't do things.  I tell people as much as I don't like the progression, my giving in is just that giving in to change as opposed to giving up.

I have only cruised Carnival with accessible rooms.  I had the same concern about the water after having those experiences in hotels.  It was great, very little water got on the floor.  

Halo loves retrieving things also.  He gets so excited to work for me at home.  He is so serious out in public.

Linda and Halo