Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Oh!  Nancy!  You're really in the middle of adolescent behavior......I'm so sorry!  Hang in there, he will get through it and so will all of you.  Brenda ate the siding off the garage of her Puppyraisers when they left her alone for a few hours.  They didn't share a lot with me about her puppy-hood but they sure didn't hesitate to tell me about the poor garage.

Thanks for your good wishes.  We're watching a lot of clean-up and prep work for any future problems that might arise.  Our neighbors are cutting down trees today, a lot of noise and mess.  The sad thing is watching these beautiful trees being cut down.  I guess it's better than watching them burn and possibly causing a fire hazard.  Very sad! 😢

8 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Mornin' all:

Roz:  So glad you and Horty are safe from the fires.  I hate the wind and then top it off with fire, "No can do."  

Jezzy and Rocky get pumpkin in their food daily.  Just as a precaution.  Jezzy had such tummy problems that when I stopped giving her the pumpkin she would get diarrhea.  Now, Rocky did well when he first got here, but about a week ago he had "loose" stool not quite diarrhea, so I also added white rice to their diet.  Seems to help, stool is firm.  Jezzy also gets Coconut oil.  I did give some to Rocky, but then with the loose stool, I thought that could be the cause, so stopped putting it in his food.  Maybe introduce it to him when he changes over to "Big Boy" food.  He will be on puppy chow for awhile.  

I have set aside some one on one training with the trainer.  He is getting over stimulated and goes off the deep end.  He immediately puts his leash in his mouth and then I can't pull on it to correct him.  Then for special effects, he puts one foot up on the leash.  Soooo, I am trying to walk a three legged dawg with the leash in his mouth.  He is also getting a little too aggresive for our liking.  I am sure it is just a learning curve.  He is in his "pre-teen"  "adolescence" and his little hormones are raging.  Can' get him neutered until middle of December.....He just stuck his mouth through the slats on his x-pen and bit a chunk of drywall off the wall.  Ai Yi Yi.  

Hubby tells me he offered me a cruise or a puppy and I chose the puppy.  I want evidence that I agreed to that and that no one else in this home is responsible.  Gotta run and try and control this brat boy.

Hope everyone has a fantastic Hump Day for Carl.  

Sounds like you should have taken the cruise!! Wow you've really got a spunky one there. I'm sure things will get better. Good luck! 

5 hours ago, rangeley said:

You get it from your vet. It has to be a USDA accredited vet. Call your vet and ask. 

Ok. My vet is a USDA accredited vet. The one question that they are having is about shots. I know that the rabies shot is one that needs to be renewed for our cruise but how do I find out if there are other shots necessary? Does the Bahamas send you something stating what shots are needed? My vet contacted the USDA and they are saying to send in the application and then the Bahamas will let us know what shots are necessary. Thanks. 

50 minutes ago, Cruisefanatic71 said:

Ok. My vet is a USDA accredited vet. The one question that they are having is about shots. I know that the rabies shot is one that needs to be renewed for our cruise but how do I find out if there are other shots necessary? Does the Bahamas send you something stating what shots are needed? My vet contacted the USDA and they are saying to send in the application and then the Bahamas will let us know what shots are necessary. Thanks. 

I think it's just rabies, flea and tick meds. I'm sure your dog has all the standard shots. 

4 hours ago, Cruisefanatic71 said:

I am attaching a PDF that lists all the requirements (current as of last November when we were going to the Bahamas).

Dianne

The+Bahamas+Animal+Import+Requirements (2).pdf

2 hours ago, rangeley said:

Looking into taking a private super shuttle van to the hotel in LA. Anyone done this? The regular SS is 34 a person and who knows how long we would have to ride on it. The private van is 80 and seems worth the price. Any thoughts? Roz? 

Haven't used it in LA, but we have taken the WCA direct super shuttle to Oakland and San Francisco airports and it has worked out well. Make sure you book in advance.

Dianne

1 hour ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Haven't used it in LA, but we have taken the WCA direct super shuttle to Oakland and San Francisco airports and it has worked out well. Make sure you book in advance.

Dianne

We called our hotel and the woman said they have a driver that takes you from the hotel to the port. She had his personal number so John called him and asked him to pick us up at the airport and he said yes. Then we find out that Oct 29th the airport is starting this thing that you can't be picked up at the terminal, you have to get on a shuttle to some parking lot. Not happy about lugging everything twice. They started that here in Boston last year. Pretty inconvenient for someone in a wheelchair. 

7 hours ago, rangeley said:

Looking into taking a private super shuttle van to the hotel in LA. Anyone done this? The regular SS is 34 a person and who knows how long we would have to ride on it. The private van is 80 and seems worth the price. Any thoughts? Roz? 

Can John maneuver into a tall vehicle?   My car is an Expedition, it stands very tall.   I could pick you guys up in shifts, instead of all at once.  [I don't think there's room for the two dogs, the three of us, our luggage, and wheel chair.]  I'm more than happy to make it happen if you guys can work with me.  We can take John and Oakland,   drop them off and my bags and then I can come back for you and your bags and drop them off separately.  What hotel are you staying in? 

1 hour ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Can John maneuver into a tall vehicle?   My car is an Expedition, it stands very tall.   I could pick you guys up in shifts, instead of all at once.  [I don't think there's room for the two dogs, the three of us, our luggage, and wheel chair.]  I'm more than happy to make it happen if you guys can work with me.  We can take John and Oakland,   drop them off and my bags and then I can come back for you and your bags and drop them off separately.  What hotel are you staying in? 

John can wheel to the hotel. Oakland and I can take a cab, or hitchhike 👍!! 

22 hours ago, rangeley said:

John can wheel to the hotel. Oakland and I can take a cab, or hitchhike 👍!! 

Ha!  Ha!  You are so cute!!!!!   We'll get there, one way or another!  Hang in there John, you WILL have a wonderful cruise in spite of Cindy and me! 😘

18 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Ha!  Ha!  You are so cute!!!!!   We'll get there, one way or another!  Hang in there John, you WILL have a wonderful cruise in spite of Cindy and me! 😘

John is lucky to have both of us. He's so looking forward to meeting you and Horty. 

On 10/14/2019 at 9:00 AM, rangeley said:

Never used this. Seems to be a 3rd party trying to make a buck. Service dogs are free and a regular pet is $10. This person wants $57. Just do it directly. I usually fax and have the permit in a day or two. 

I have been attempting to fax over the application to the fax number on the form. I have also called and spoke with a lady at the Dept. Of Agriculture and she gave me the same number. Did you have any problems facing over the application?

Just now, wizard-of-roz said:

Me too, all of you  😍

He had some dental surgery today so he's hurting. Doc said he should be good to go for the cruise. 

We are suppose to bring the dog to visit with some vets tomorrow night, hopefully he feels good enough to go. 

2 minutes ago, rangeley said:

He had some dental surgery today so he's hurting. Doc said he should be good to go for the cruise. 

We are suppose to bring the dog to visit with some vets tomorrow night, hopefully he feels good enough to go. 

Feel well John.  Thank goodness there's lots of "soft" choices for eating on a cruise.  On my last cruise, in December, I had some very extensive dental work done and it NEVER got in the way of my culinary experiences!  Yay, for High Tea! 🦷

7 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Feel well John.  Thank goodness there's lots of "soft" choices for eating on a cruise.  On my last cruise, in December, I had some very extensive dental work done and it NEVER got in the way of my culinary experiences!  Yay, for High Tea! 🦷

Oh he'll be eating. Tonight I'm making spaghetti and meatballs. I figure he'll be able to eat that. Made him a strawberry milkshake earlier. I bought him a new tablet for being a good boy at the dentist today. He's been playing with it all day. Kept his mind off his mouth. Haha 😂

5 hours ago, Cruisefanatic71 said:

I have been attempting to fax over the application to the fax number on the form. I have also called and spoke with a lady at the Dept. Of Agriculture and she gave me the same number. Did you have any problems facing over the application?

Yes, I kept getting a busy signal - I finally was able to get the fax to go through from my iPhone. Make sure you have an international calling plan.

Dianne

On 10/18/2019 at 3:52 PM, rangeley said:

We called our hotel and the woman said they have a driver that takes you from the hotel to the port. She had his personal number so John called him and asked him to pick us up at the airport and he said yes. Then we find out that Oct 29th the airport is starting this thing that you can't be picked up at the terminal, you have to get on a shuttle to some parking lot. Not happy about lugging everything twice. They started that here in Boston last year. Pretty inconvenient for someone in a wheelchair. 

Which hotel has an accessible shuttle to the port?

Dianne

30 minutes ago, rangeley said:

Oh he'll be eating. Tonight I'm making spaghetti and meatballs. I figure he'll be able to eat that. Made him a strawberry milkshake earlier. I bought him a new tablet for being a good boy at the dentist today. He's been playing with it all day. Kept his mind off his mouth. Haha 😂

Good Wifey!  I can't wait to teach you guys how to play Tridominoes.  My kids got hooked on it and we played it every chance we could, in every lounge.