Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

11 minutes ago, Wendsong said:

Ouch! Red flag. I'm traveling on Princess Island in March. Can you elaborate on the Princess set up?

The box was put in a crew area that was very far from our cabin. The door was extremely heavy. John could not even get to the box because of the cleaning carts in the hallways all day and night. He could not open the heavy door which had a good size lip for him to get over. We were not happy and they refused to put it closer to our cabin. I ended up being the one to potty him through the whole cruise. Roz had the same problem and they told her to call the cabin steward every time Horton had to go which is ridiculous. They even offered to have someone take the dog for her. We would never let a stranger who knows nothing about SDs to take our dogs. 

2 minutes ago, rangeley said:

Roz had the same problem and they told her to call the cabin steward every time Horton had to go which is ridiculous. They even offered to have someone take the dog for her. We would never let a stranger who knows nothing about SDs to take our dogs. 

I wonder if she had called the cabin steward every time or taken up their offer to have someone take the dog (with her accompanying them), if they might not have been more amenable to moving the box to a more convenient place. I'm traveling alone, almost 80 YO and can't open heavy doors. What an adventure this is going to be!

4 minutes ago, Wendsong said:

Jazz has been trained to move "forward" and can go through the metal detectors without his leash, but I haven't been asked to remove his leash. He sits down on the other side and waits for me (usually, sometimes he comes back!). I send the harness through the x-ray machine because it has heavy metal rings on it. One time they did search me, but usually they just swipe my hands for powder. It does sound as if they were retaliating for refusing to follow an "order" to take off her leash. They have no idea how tiring it is traveling with a SD. They seem to think we do it as a lark!

Henri is actually very good off leash and I could have sent her through without the leash - she is not going to run off and responds well to the "come" or "here" command. However, TSA rules state “Items that are necessary to maintain control of the service dog or indicate that the service dog is on duty do not require removal to be screened.” 

2 minutes ago, Wendsong said:

I wonder if she had called the cabin steward every time or taken up their offer to have someone take the dog (with her accompanying them), if they might not have been more amenable to moving the box to a more convenient place. I'm traveling alone, almost 80 YO and can't open heavy doors. What an adventure this is going to be!

All these cruise lines have no clue. They done realize handicapped people can't open heavy doors. I could barely open it myself. Technically Oakland is not my dog and I shouldn't have to be the one who pottys him all the time. 

14 minutes ago, DUTRAVEL said:

However, TSA rules state “Items that are necessary to maintain control of the service dog or indicate that the service dog is on duty do not require removal to be screened.” 

Thanks for that information. I was not aware of that. However, his harness bags carry my medical needs which I would not like anyone publicly going through to search (which they threatened to do once). 

51 minutes ago, rangeley said:

Whats going on with NCL? Any questions about bringing a SD I can help. 

Thanks! I’ve been trying to get answers to other questions that affect my disabilities. 
I can’t be around crowds especially in confined spaces or lines, so will need assisted boarding, and private muster drill. Last cruise it was so crowded waiting to board ship and Carnival sent someone to take us through priority boarding due to their policy of boarding people with disabilities, including Service Dogs prior to others, I need to know NCL policy. Then that afternoon the room where we were stationed to meet for muster, was not only crowded with hundreds of people but enclosed with no windows which is a BIG no no for me, then walking out on deck as part of drill people were crowded trying to get outside, stepping on my SD, ALL of which triggered my PTSD and MurphySD couldn’t even do his job because of the crowding people, my Hubby and two friends literally had to position around us to keep people from getting closer, every time MurphySD and I tried to move away we were told to get back with others.  I came very close to total melt down. Once triggered it affects my body for hours, MurphySD helps with the immediate fight or flight, flashbacks and panic attack, finding exits to get me away from triggers but the whole muster drill is a trigger. I’m sorry if I’m sharing too much information. My PTSD is from an explosion and fire. 
Carnival immediately took care of requests for our Cruise in 2021! So I’m frustrated that NCL can’t even reply to emails or have answers in phone conversations for cruise in May 2020! 

37 minutes ago, Kaik9s said:

Thanks! I’ve been trying to get answers to other questions that affect my disabilities. 
I can’t be around crowds especially in confined spaces or lines, so will need assisted boarding, and private muster drill. Last cruise it was so crowded waiting to board ship and Carnival sent someone to take us through priority boarding due to their policy of boarding people with disabilities, including Service Dogs prior to others, I need to know NCL policy. Then that afternoon the room where we were stationed to meet for muster, was not only crowded with hundreds of people but enclosed with no windows which is a BIG no no for me, then walking out on deck as part of drill people were crowded trying to get outside, stepping on my SD, ALL of which triggered my PTSD and MurphySD couldn’t even do his job because of the crowding people, my Hubby and two friends literally had to position around us to keep people from getting closer, every time MurphySD and I tried to move away we were told to get back with others.  I came very close to total melt down. Once triggered it affects my body for hours, MurphySD helps with the immediate fight or flight, flashbacks and panic attack, finding exits to get me away from triggers but the whole muster drill is a trigger. I’m sorry if I’m sharing too much information. My PTSD is from an explosion and fire. 
Carnival immediately took care of requests for our Cruise in 2021! So I’m frustrated that NCL can’t even reply to emails or have answers in phone conversations for cruise in May 2020! 

Sorry to hear about your disability. NCL took us to a different line to embark but there were still a lot of people around in the other lines. Everyone has different problems and ways of dealing with things. We always wait until the last minute to go to the muster drill. Mainly because we are sick of standing at the elevators trying to get on. They usually let us stay near the entrance where to drill is being held so John can make a quick exit and get out of there before anyone else. 

We find most access departments are not very good. NCL was particularly bad. They are not disabled and most have never been on a cruise. 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Wendsong said:

I would have liked an accessible cabin, because of the walk in shower, but was told by my travel agent that Princess requires anyone requesting an accessible cabin to be in a wheel chair. I'm not there yet, but I do have trouble getting in and out of a tub, even to shower.

If you cannot lift your leg over the tub to shower, and there are no bars or shower chair in the shower in anything other than an accessible cabin, then you need an accessible cabin.  They cannot legally limit accessible cabins to only wheel chair users, if the non-wheel chair user needs the aminities in the accessible cabin and they don't have another cabin with those aminities.

I get it completely.  I've spent some time in a wheelchair, but don't currently need one.  I've reserved an accessible room in a couple of upcoming cruise on Celebrity.  I need the bars to help get off the toilet most of the time, as well as grab bars in the shower . Plus, no telling when I'll have to resort to the chair again.  I did one cruise in a chair in a standard cabin.  Not planning to do that again. 

Diane, I was so interested in your trip report. I’m so tempted to take Ray to Europe - you always give me courage to just do it. I’m glad to know the EU paperwork wasn’t bad. Wish my APHIS office was as close as yours. 

So annoying about the person not allowing a relief break for poor Henri during the connection between flights. I’m glad you spotted the grass! Also about the TSA business when they were unfamiliar with their own policy. Why does that happen?? No two TSA agents in the whole country seem to have the same understanding of what to do when a service dog arrives at the screener.

8 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Diane, I was so interested in your trip report. I’m so tempted to take Ray to Europe - you always give me courage to just do it. I’m glad to know the EU paperwork wasn’t bad. Wish my APHIS office was as close as yours. 

So annoying about the person not allowing a relief break for poor Henri during the connection between flights. I’m glad you spotted the grass! Also about the TSA business when they were unfamiliar with their own policy. Why does that happen?? No two TSA agents in the whole country seem to have the same understanding of what to do when a service dog arrives at the screener.

You should do it Chris! The paperwork is pretty easy - you use the same health form as long as all the countries you are visiting are EU members (except the UK which requires a section to document a tapeworm treatment). The UK, France and Spain all have public access laws for service dogs similar to the US (and generally do not limit assistance dogs to guide dogs).

We are on the Celebrity Apex transatlantic next October leaving from Barcelona with all Spanish ports (as long as we can get a connecting flight on the East Coast with a sufficient layover).

Dianne

Does anyone bring a doggy life vest with them onboard a cruise?  We have to fly to get to our port, and the idea of hauling a bulky life vest across the country (in addition to everything else that she and I need) isn't appealing.  I haven't found anything about RCCL requiring one on their website.

6 minutes ago, Mavis and Me said:

Does anyone bring a doggy life vest with them onboard a cruise?  We have to fly to get to our port, and the idea of hauling a bulky life vest across the country (in addition to everything else that she and I need) isn't appealing.  I haven't found anything about RCCL requiring one on their website.

Yes, I bring a life vest for my dog even when we have to fly to the port. She's 65lbs and the vest is not that bulky - it either goes in my carry on bag or in a large backpack with her other supplies.

Dianne

38 minutes ago, Mavis and Me said:

Does anyone bring a doggy life vest with them onboard a cruise?  

I am planning to bring one. I am researching them now. The life jackets for dogs leave a lot to be desired. If you find one that seems to fit and actually keeps the dog afloat with his head up, let me know.

7 minutes ago, Wendsong said:

I am planning to bring one. I am researching them now. The life jackets for dogs leave a lot to be desired. If you find one that seems to fit and actually keeps the dog afloat with his head up, let me know.

We have the Ruffwear float coat.

We bought one and took it to Alaska with us.  Better safe than sorry.  I made Scooter wear it when we went whale watchng, since it was bright orange, so if anything happened it would stand out.   The dog life preserver fit in my suitcase, and I used it as padding for something else, I don't remember what. 

I think half my suitcase was dog stuff, since we were traveling for nearly 2 weeks.  Dog life vest, extra SD vest, rain coat for dog, 2 extra leashes, plenty of poop bags, food for 2 weeks in individual baggies, boots for dog, emergency med kit for dog and for me, plus my own clothes, plus we were attending a conference at the back end and needed computer, professional dress (which doubled with some of the ship's evening clothes) and more.   My 24" bag was STUFFED!

6 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

We have to fly to get to our port, and the idea of hauling a bulky life vest across the country (in addition to everything else that she and I need) isn't appealing.

Has anyone tried the shipping service for luggage? I am also flying across country and will need at least 10+ pounds of dry food, plus everything else for 2 weeks and wonder if it would be easier to ship it ahead so I won't have to haul it through the airports to the hotel, then to the ship.

10 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

I have the same, a nice gift from my sister-in-law who went along on Raylene’s first cruise.

Holland America steward sometimes puts one in the bed on embarkation day, but it is not as thick and sturdy as the Ruffwear.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

6 hours ago, Wendsong said:

Has anyone tried the shipping service for luggage? I am also flying across country and will need at least 10+ pounds of dry food, plus everything else for 2 weeks and wonder if it would be easier to ship it ahead so I won't have to haul it through the airports to the hotel, then to the ship.

I’m doing a 27 night Panama Canal Cruise originating in Southampton in early 2021 and I’m thinking of ordering dog food and canned pumpkin on line and have it delivered to Fort Lauderdale, ten days into the cruise.  There’s a mail drop that specializes in cruise ships and will deliver packages directly to the ship - for a small fee.  

I’d be interested in hearing if anyone has done it.

9 hours ago, rangeley said:

We bring one too. Our cabin steward offered us a doggie life jacket. 

IMG_20190422_162826.jpg

I’m wondering if I can possibly squeeze one into my luggage - Cunard’s was pretty awful! 

Travel from our home port of Vancouver isn’t a problem but other ports are more challenging.

B1110DE2-5D44-4058-85A1-C946EE273E62.png

1 hour ago, Miki_moto said:

I’m wondering if I can possibly squeeze one into my luggage - Cunard’s was pretty awful! 

Travel from our home port of Vancouver isn’t a problem but other ports are more challenging.

B1110DE2-5D44-4058-85A1-C946EE273E62.png

That one does not look very sturdy. 

8 hours ago, Miki_moto said:

There’s a mail drop that specializes in cruise ships and will deliver packages directly to the ship - for a small fee.

I'd like more information about this, too. Where did you find this? The luggage delivery takes stuff from your home and back, so you have to pack everything ahead of time.  Does this mail drop deliver directly from the web site to the mail drop and then to the ship? My boy only eats dry food, but it might be good to have water and non-caffeine drinks ordered and delivered as well. 

20 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

I just ordered one, from Amazon. It got few bad ratings (I always read those first!) and seems to be pretty sturdy. My dog doesn't swim and is afraid of the water due to a bad experience as a pup with a dog sitter. I only hope it can hold up a 65 pound dog, thrashing around! Of course, the best thing is never to have to find out...

Edited by Wendsong
additional comment

On 11/20/2019 at 11:16 AM, Algebralovr said:

I need the bars to help get off the toilet most of the time, as well as grab bars in the shower .

Me, too! My travel agent assured me, just now, that both the tub and the toilet in my cabin on the Island Princess have grab bars, even though it isn't an accessible cabin. Good to know.

Edited by Wendsong