Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I’m so happy to have found this thread! I had just posted a topic asking about cruising with my service dog to Rome, but I hadn’t seen this thread yet! I may have to read a lot to catch up on everything. I’m taking my service dog Mila on her first cruise in November. I’m so nervous about it all but I think once we get on the ship I’ll be okay. It’s nice to meet so many others that have service dogs and cruise with them!

30 minutes ago, Mabbiez said:

I’m so happy to have found this thread! I had just posted a topic asking about cruising with my service dog to Rome, but I hadn’t seen this thread yet! I may have to read a lot to catch up on everything. I’m taking my service dog Mila on her first cruise in November. I’m so nervous about it all but I think once we get on the ship I’ll be okay. It’s nice to meet so many others that have service dogs and cruise with them!

Welcome!  You will love cruising with your Service Dog.  

May I suggest that the very first thing you want to do is get Mila used to using a "Potty Box".  The more she uses a box filled with mulch/bark/grass/wood shavings, etc.  The easier your cruising experience will be, for both of you.

Please don't hesitate to ask your good questions.  There are some truly wonderful folks on this thread who love to be helpful, teaching and caring.

I’ve just started reading through this whole thread and you are such an amazing help!

I’ve previously worked with Mila on a fake grassy patch on the balcony (I live on the 3rd floor). I am going to get a mulch box and start using that. She is also doing a two week boarding training session so I’m going to talk with that trainer about working on the mulch box. 

I know during Mila’s public access class we take the dogs to the airport. Sometimes they are able to work something out with an airline for the dogs to go on a plane just so we get an idea of how a flight will be. The last time I flew I was super lucky to have a service done in my row so I was able to get a little bit of understanding of it. The handler was super nice and helpful when I told her I had a service dog in training. She helped answer a lot of questions!

Mila is still training but she will be done before our cruise. She has already been such a blessing to me! I kick myself for not getting a service dog before, but at the same time I think I was meant to have Mila.

I’m sure I will have a ton of more questions once we get closer to cruise time! 

3 hours ago, Mabbiez said:

I’ve just started reading through this whole thread and you are such an amazing help!

I’ve previously worked with Mila on a fake grassy patch on the balcony (I live on the 3rd floor). I am going to get a mulch box and start using that. She is also doing a two week boarding training session so I’m going to talk with that trainer about working on the mulch box. 

I know during Mila’s public access class we take the dogs to the airport. Sometimes they are able to work something out with an airline for the dogs to go on a plane just so we get an idea of how a flight will be. The last time I flew I was super lucky to have a service done in my row so I was able to get a little bit of understanding of it. The handler was super nice and helpful when I told her I had a service dog in training. She helped answer a lot of questions!

Mila is still training but she will be done before our cruise. She has already been such a blessing to me! I kick myself for not getting a service dog before, but at the same time I think I was meant to have Mila.

I’m sure I will have a ton of more questions once we get closer to cruise time! 

It sounds like you're doing a wonderful job of preparing you and Mila for her first cruise.  

Actually, once your dog gets used to going potty in a box, she'll do really well on whatever filler is used.  The only time my dogs were a bit reluctant was when the ships use those darn pellets [these are usually used by Carnival.]  I buy a 4x4 square of artificial turf that I take with me to cover whatever the cruise ship decides to use.  I just fold it up, place it in a plastic bag and put it in my suit case or carry it on board.  I leave it behind when the cruise is over.  It's inexpensive and my dogs like how it keeps their paws from hurting from whatever the ships uses.

On 1/5/2020 at 6:07 PM, wizard-of-roz said:

I don't ever want to be unkind to anyone.  

If you want to take your self-trained dog into the public, your dog should not bark, whine, growl or lunge at anything or anyone. 

Your dog should remain calm, assertive and ready to assist YOU whenever you need him.

In order for your dog to be ready to behave well around other dogs/animals in general, and humans you MUST work with your dog on a daily basis. 

Having special treats ready when you're out and about is nice but it's a bit like letting the horse out after the barn door is closed.

You MUST work with your dog when your just sitting and reading or watching T.V., or walking to the mailbox, or going to the bathroom......You MUST work with your dog ALL THE TIME.  You MUST practice, practice, practice, have patience, patience, patience and ALWAYS be KIND AND GENTLE.  A well trained, well behaving Service Dog is a golden gift from God!

You should NEVER be allowed in public if your dog acts badly, no matter how much you may need him.  

Thank You for stating this! My SD was trained by an organization of Veteran military dog handlers who started training PTSD Service Dogs, free for Veterans, fee for civilians like me. There was no ID issued, just a letter stating what training & testing he completed. Unfortunately the company went out of business. Some of MurphySD tests was Canine Good Citizenships and Public Access. These were to make sure he was not only comfortable in various public venues, but also that he was well behaved and not a threat to public safety. 
I’m all for giving people the option of self training, I may have to do that myself when MurphySD is ready to retire(hopefully not for many years). Not only are there very few PTSD SD training organizations but most now only train for Veterans or their civilians are on even longer waitlists and other SD training organizations dont train outside their specific disabilities group.  That said there are online resources for the above test requirements so everyone can train their dogs how to behave properly in public, no matter their size. NO dog should be in a public venue unless it can behave appropriately. But especially any dog being touted as an SD. 

On 1/5/2020 at 5:29 PM, Mavis and Me said:

Canceling wasn't an option - my family would have had a conniption!  We were at the end of a long trip wanting to get back to Seattle!  It was more ridiculous to watch than it was upsetting.  Mavis didn't care at all.  And luckily all the dogs around us were under 40 pounds, so not really a threat.  My family was vigilant to keep the ones on retractable leashes (MAN, I don't like retractable leashes!) away from me and Mave.  I literally saw this white chihuahua stroll at least 15 FEET away from it's owner!  It was wrapping around the legs of the guy in line in front of it.  I thought that man was in their party at first!  And the little tan one was down right aggressive!

Screen Shot 2020-01-05 at 5.36.14 PM.png

If these two were the size of my SD would this be acceptable public behavior? NO!!!

There is absolutely NO reason these two should be considered emotional support let alone SD. Their behavior alone is anxiety inducing! And the airlines brought this on themselves by allowing NON SD to travel on their planes. Emotional support animals don’t have the same public access protection under ADA laws. I could claim my GSD as an emotional support animal, but she doesn’t like other people or dogs, can you imagine having her barking in this situation let alone a flight? So why are small dogs misbehavior tolerated?  Common sense needs to prevail, NO untrained pets should be allowed in public venues, especially if the owners are not being attentive to their dogs like in the photo. Why should SD teams be subjected to extra scrutiny because of these people and their dogs. 

Yesterday, for the first time, we dealt with an aggressive dog towards my daughters SD.  We were in Costco, picking up a few things.  We were leaving, walking past the food counter and all the tables for eating, and I remember thinking ‘Wow, a lot of people eating today!’  No sooner had I said that and turned my head back towards the exit, than I hear aggressive barking and turned around to see a boxer lunging at our SD.  He was leashed thank God, but even more appalling was that it had a ‘service dog in training’ vest on.  There was also a second dog, who also started barking.  As we kept walking, I could hear a man trying to give those dogs commands of some sort.  Our pup did not react at all, but I think, had that happened on our way in, I would have asked management ask those dogs to leave - completely inappropriate behavior, and SD’a I. Training so not carry the same rights as fully trained SD’s.  On top of all this, we were questioned when we came in if our dog was a SD (which I am fine with, btw....).  

6 hours ago, allies_daphne said:

I would have asked management ask those dogs to leave - completely inappropriate behavior, and SD’a I. Training so not carry the same rights as fully trained SD’s.

allies-daphne - In some states SDiTs do have the same access rights as SDs.  It depends on your state.  However, SD or SD in Training, the man should have either quickly corrected the behavior or removed the dogs from that situation.  SDiTs should not be working on dog aggression or basic manners during public access work, they should be done with those lessons by that point.  Public access work is more about getting our well-behaved dogs used to standing in lines, getting bumped into, leaving merchandise alone, etc. NOT working out animal/human reactivity!  :)  You would have been well within your right to ask management to remove those dogs from the Costco.

4 hours ago, Mavis and Me said:

allies-daphne - In some states SDiTs do have the same access rights as SDs.  It depends on your state.  However, SD or SD in Training, the man should have either quickly corrected the behavior or removed the dogs from that situation.  SDiTs should not be working on dog aggression or basic manners during public access work, they should be done with those lessons by that point.  Public access work is more about getting our well-behaved dogs used to standing in lines, getting bumped into, leaving merchandise alone, etc. NOT working out animal/human reactivity! 🙂  You would have been well within your right to ask management to remove those dogs from the Costco.

I find myself becoming more and more aware of other dogs in the public forum, for this reason I carry a small can of hair spray in my purse.  It works wonders on scaring away aggressive behaving dogs.  Usually, just the sound of the spray above their head is enough to make them back off.  It doesn't hurt them but it does sting their eyes if it happens to make contact with them.  It gives you enough time to get away and is truly harmless in the long run. 

Thank goodness I have not had to use the spray on a big, aggressive dog, but I must admit that I don't put Horton or myself in situations where I might have to.  If I know there are unfriendly dogs around I stay away from the area.  Horton would not be of any help if we were to be attacked, and, I'm afraid I'd be a screaming wreck of a human being, trying to protect my beautiful boy before myself! 

Horton must look like a menacing terror to other dogs, he's huge, black and does not back down from confrontational stares.  He'll stare at another dog and I know what he's thinking, "hi, wanna be my friend?"  They're probably thinking that he's saying, "hi, wanna fight?"

I have to place myself in between him and other big dogs we may come in contact with so he doesn't get eye contact with them.

Horton takes ALL eye contact as an invitation to cuddle and play!  Wouldn't it be nice if the whole world felt this way!

Edited by wizard-of-roz
  • Like 1

Wizard of Roz MurphySD is the same way as Horton, just a big love!  He’s been trained in threat assessment, so he observes many things going on in our environment. He loves other dogs still on the occasions we’ve been barked at, especially aggressively and lunged at, he’s kept his cool and eyes on them as we leave the area, including looking back behind us to make sure the threat is gone. I either reroute to avoid them or put myself between him and any dogs that I feel maybe a potential problem. I’m ready to step in to protect my SD, just i have for our pets when aggressive dogs approach on walks.

Today the Department of Transportation released its proposed rule changes to the Air Carrier Access Act which will impact service dog teams. The DOT proposes to align its definition of service animal with the ADA definition which does not recognize emotional support animals and limits service animals to dogs that have been individually trained to do work or perform a task for an individual with a disability. The definition would limit service animals to dogs and airlines would be allowed to treat emotional support animals as pets. Other proposed changes refer to size of the service animal, limiting the number to two per passenger and leash, tethering or harnessing requirements. The DOT would also develop standardized forms that each airline would be required to use (health form, behavior and training attestation and relief attestation for flights over eight hours).

These are not the final rules - they can be changed based on comments received for or against.

The comment period for the proposed rules is open for the next 60 days. Comments must be identified by the docket number DOT-OST-2018-0068 and can be made:

• at the Federal eRulemaking Portal: go to http://www.regulations.gov and follow the online

instructions for submitting comments.

• by Mail: Docket Management Facility, U.S. Department of Transportation, 1200 New Jersey

Ave. SE, West Building Ground Floor, Room W12-140, Washington, DC 20590-0001.

• by Hand Delivery or Courier: West Building Ground Floor, Room W12-140, 1200 New

Jersey Ave. SE, between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday, except

Federal holidays.

• by Fax: (202) 493-2251

You must include the agency name and docket number DOT-OST-2018-0068 or the Regulatory Identification Number (RIN) for the rulemaking at the beginning of your comment. All comments received will be posted without change to http://www.regulations.gov, including any personal information provided.

Edited by DUTRAVEL
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Horton must look like a menacing terror to other dogs, he's huge, black and does not back down from confrontational stares.  He'll stare at another dog and I know what he's thinking, "hi, wanna be my friend?"  They're probably thinking that he's saying, "hi, wanna fight?"

I have to place myself in between him and other big dogs we may come in contact with so he doesn't get eye contact with them.

Horton takes ALL eye contact as an invitation to cuddle and play!  Wouldn't it be nice if the whole world felt this way!

I had wondered what Henri might do if attacked by another dog. She is so gentle and does not have an aggressive bone in her body. I was hoping I would never have to find out what she would do, but she was attacked by a small dog last year. She went down in a heap and covered her head; she did not try to fight back in any way. I am very protective of her and try to recognize any potentially dangerous situations ahead of time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

I had wondered what Henri might do if attacked by another dog. She is so gentle and does not have an aggressive bone in her body. I was hoping I would never have to find out what she would do, but she was attacked by a small dog last year. She went down in a heap and covered her head; she did not try to fight back in any way. I am very protective of her and try to recognize any potentially dangerous situations ahead of time.

Oh! No!  It's a good thing I wasn't there or the owners of that little dog would have walked away with two black eyes. 

I feel just like you do.......I protect my big boy with all my might.  I'm very careful when folks want to pat him.  I watch just how hard they're stroking him so that they don't over do it.  He's my baby.......seriously, he's MY BABY!!!!!  His heart and soul are pure and he's so lovely.  You hurt him you got me to deal with!!!!!!

Edited by wizard-of-roz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Today the Department of Transportation released its proposed rule changes to the Air Carrier Access Act which will impact service dog teams. The DOT proposes to align its definition of service animal with the ADA definition which does not recognize emotional support animals and limits service animals to dogs that have been individually trained to do work or perform a task for an individual with a disability. The definition would limit service animals to dogs and airlines would be allowed to treat emotional support animals as pets. Other proposed changes refer to size of the service animal, limiting the number to two per passenger and leash, tethering or harnessing requirements. The DOT would also develop standardized forms that each airline would be required to use (health form, behavior and training attestation and relief attestation for flights over eight hours).

These are not the final rules - they can be changed based on comments received for or against.

The comment period for the proposed rules is open for the next 60 days. Comments must be identified by the docket number DOT-OST-2018-0068 and can be made:

• at the Federal eRulemaking Portal: go to http://www.regulations.gov and follow the online

instructions for submitting comments.

• by Mail: Docket Management Facility, U.S. Department of Transportation, 1200 New Jersey

Ave. SE, West Building Ground Floor, Room W12-140, Washington, DC 20590-0001.

• by Hand Delivery or Courier: West Building Ground Floor, Room W12-140, 1200 New

Jersey Ave. SE, between 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. ET, Monday through Friday, except

Federal holidays.

• by Fax: (202) 493-2251

You must include the agency name and docket number DOT-OST-2018-0068 or the Regulatory Identification Number (RIN) for the rulemaking at the beginning of your comment. All comments received will be posted without change to http://www.regulations.gov, including any personal information provided.

Love it!  Bring on the rules and laws.  I'm prepared to follow all regulations and welcome them.  I just want the general public to adhere to them as well!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Kaik9s said:

Wizard of Roz MurphySD is the same way as Horton, just a big love!  He’s been trained in threat assessment, so he observes many things going on in our environment. He loves other dogs still on the occasions we’ve been barked at, especially aggressively and lunged at, he’s kept his cool and eyes on them as we leave the area, including looking back behind us to make sure the threat is gone. I either reroute to avoid them or put myself between him and any dogs that I feel maybe a potential problem. I’m ready to step in to protect my SD, just i have for our pets when aggressive dogs approach on walks.

I must say my first SD was not as gently spirited as Horton.  She was a true Alpha dog.  She wanted all other dogs in her environment to be in a submissive state.  She wouldn't allow Horton near her couch and did not like sharing her humans with him.  She did it, because I told her she had to, but she didn't like it and showed her displeasure by giving Horton the "side-eye" every chance she got.  She didn't bite, or growl but she sure had a way of giving some mighty sour looks of displeasure.

CCI had a very difficult time placing Brenda because she was a lot to handle.  I loved the challenge and we were perfect for each other!  She took her work very seriously and was truly the smartest dog I've every known. 

Horton ALWAYS backed away from her and would lay down in front of her, as if to offer himself to her.  She thought she was the Queen of everyone and he knew exactly how to handle himself around her.    She would pace back and forth on the couch in the living room, making sure that everyone was in the right place.  She passed in 2014, at the age of 14, and Horton still will not go near the couch!

Horton was practically twice her size.  She was a shortish, pure English Lab and Horton is a cross between an American Lab and a Golden Retriever.  He's a very big boy.  It didn't matter, she ruled over him easily.  I didn't think I could love a dog more than her but I am crazy about Horton Jeffrey!  

Edited by wizard-of-roz
  • Like 1

I am back from my brother's funeral.  I feel like there is something really wrong with me.  I have barely cried.  When at my parent's I keep waiting for him to show up or thinking he is just busy and can't make it.  I did get completely worn out and am paying for it big time.  I was in the hospital for a possible stroke, it is inconclusive and I have follow ups scheduled, when I got word of him going home on hospice.  I informed the nurses to do what was necessary to get me out.  They where wonderful and kept me up to date on everything and pushed a lot of the tests through.

Then I get home and have a day to get 3 days of office work and house cleaning done before my husband's sister arrives for a couple days.  I then get word that my brother has passed.  Rich's sister arrives and we have an incredibly busy next 3 days.  Including my driving evaluation for hand controls.  I thought it was just a base line visit but was informed by the OT that she thinks I am ready for hand controls.  Turns out I am really limiting myself to going out.  I didn't admit it to myself, but she sure pointed it out.  Said that is fine if that is what I want.  No, I don't want that, I want to be independent, but think I have been scared of the adjustments.  

After my sister in law leaves, I have the morning of the trip to pack and leave.  Then all the activity with the family and visitors.  I am kind of thinking I really haven't had time to grieve.  And upon my return, got back late last night, I have lots of end of year business to take care of (we own are own commercial construction business) and lots of appointments I need to make and get to.  I will be ok, but it has been a lot.

So, as to my SD - Halo and the sun.  He loves to sun bathe.  He is also a big beach dog.  He will not jump into the truck, my husband has to help him in (the back seat, not the bed), but if he sees us take the beach bag out there he has no problem getting in on his own.  We were in Illinois with -5-16 degrees, he was not happy.  Today it was not warm here in Florida, but it did get to 60 degrees and he spent an hour or two out in the sun.  He is definitely like his mama, loves the warm sun and beach.

Southwest is now asking if dogs are an ESA.  They are requiring documentation for the ESA's.  They are also asking what task(s) the SD is trained for- no demonstration, just the legal question.  I don't get asked it, I was told my disability is noticeable.  I also get complimented on Halo every time he is out with me.  I have seen a lot less dogs in general and certainly less uncontrolled/misbehaving dogs or dogs on a retraceable leash.  Makes me so happy.

Linda and Halo 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rpclmc said:

I am back from my brother's funeral.  I feel like there is something really wrong with me.  I have barely cried.  When at my parent's I keep waiting for him to show up or thinking he is just busy and can't make it.  I did get completely worn out and am paying for it big time.  I was in the hospital for a possible stroke, it is inconclusive and I have follow ups scheduled, when I got word of him going home on hospice.  I informed the nurses to do what was necessary to get me out.  They where wonderful and kept me up to date on everything and pushed a lot of the tests through.

Then I get home and have a day to get 3 days of office work and house cleaning done before my husband's sister arrives for a couple days.  I then get word that my brother has passed.  Rich's sister arrives and we have an incredibly busy next 3 days.  Including my driving evaluation for hand controls.  I thought it was just a base line visit but was informed by the OT that she thinks I am ready for hand controls.  Turns out I am really limiting myself to going out.  I didn't admit it to myself, but she sure pointed it out.  Said that is fine if that is what I want.  No, I don't want that, I want to be independent, but think I have been scared of the adjustments.  

After my sister in law leaves, I have the morning of the trip to pack and leave.  Then all the activity with the family and visitors.  I am kind of thinking I really haven't had time to grieve.  And upon my return, got back late last night, I have lots of end of year business to take care of (we own are own commercial construction business) and lots of appointments I need to make and get to.  I will be ok, but it has been a lot.

So, as to my SD - Halo and the sun.  He loves to sun bathe.  He is also a big beach dog.  He will not jump into the truck, my husband has to help him in (the back seat, not the bed), but if he sees us take the beach bag out there he has no problem getting in on his own.  We were in Illinois with -5-16 degrees, he was not happy.  Today it was not warm here in Florida, but it did get to 60 degrees and he spent an hour or two out in the sun.  He is definitely like his mama, loves the warm sun and beach.

Southwest is now asking if dogs are an ESA.  They are requiring documentation for the ESA's.  They are also asking what task(s) the SD is trained for- no demonstration, just the legal question.  I don't get asked it, I was told my disability is noticeable.  I also get complimented on Halo every time he is out with me.  I have seen a lot less dogs in general and certainly less uncontrolled/misbehaving dogs or dogs on a retraceable leash.  Makes me so happy.

Linda and Halo 

Linda, you've certainly been challenged.  I'm so sorry about your brother.  May the good memories that you shared comfort you in the days ahead.  

Life has thrown so much at you.......be strong, keep your head up and know that you have friends here and that we send you much love and strength.

I am very much in favor of the airlines getting tougher on their guidelines for SD's.   I hope that all passenger transport agencies follow in suit.

Take care of you.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2020 at 1:09 AM, wizard-of-roz said:

I find myself becoming more and more aware of other dogs in the public forum, for this reason I carry a small can of hair spray in my purse.  It works wonders on scaring away aggressive behaving dogs.  Usually, just the sound of the spray above their head is enough to make them back off.  It doesn't hurt them but it does sting their eyes if it happens to make contact with them.  It gives you enough time to get away and is truly harmless in the long run. 

Thank goodness I have not had to use the spray on a big, aggressive dog, but I must admit that I don't put Horton or myself in situations where I might have to.  If I know there are unfriendly dogs around I stay away from the area.  Horton would not be of any help if we were to be attacked, and, I'm afraid I'd be a screaming wreck of a human being, trying to protect my beautiful boy before myself! 

First it would take you an hour to find that spray in your suitcase size purse. And I'm glad Oakland and I didn't get sprayed!! 

14 hours ago, rpclmc said:

Linda and Halo 

So sorry to hear about your brother. Sometimes we are so worried about others, we forget to take care of ourselves. I know I am one to do this. Please take time for yourself. Boy it's easy to say. 😕

John has used hand controls for 40yrs and its made him very independent. He has always done things on his own but as he's gotten older he needs help. He hates asking for it! 

Edited by rangeley

8 hours ago, rangeley said:

First it would take you an hour to find that spray in your suitcase size purse. And I'm glad Oakland and I didn't get sprayed!! 

Hey!  Girly Girls need to carry their purses wherever they go!  You never know when you'll need something.......like;  caution tape, band aids, mascara, lip gloss, scissors, needle & thread, safety pin, HAIRSPRAY, etc., etc., etc!  I can't help it, I feel naked if I don't have my "stuff" with me!!!!!

You should have seen what my babies diaper bags looked like........I carried everything but the baby in the bag!  We could have lived a week out of that bag!  It did drive Morey crazy because he was usually the one who had to shlep the bag!

And, don't think that you didn't come close, at times, to getting a spritz or two!  Ha! Ha!

Edited by wizard-of-roz
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, rangeley said:

Hey I was nice!! Not my fault you got hair and drool all over you! He misses Auntie Roz. ❤️

IMG_20200112_223452.jpg

Hey handsome, Auntie Roz and Horty miss seeing and playing with you every day!  Have a super weekend, we miss you all very much and hope that one day we can share a cruise together again.

I don't suppose you'll be coming to L.A. to hop on board the Golden Princess to Alaska on May 30th?  It's two weeks and that would be so much fun.......I can dream can't I?  I know you must be pretty much cruised-out this year......but, it would be such fun!  Love you all to the moon and back! ❤️

Edited by wizard-of-roz

1 hour ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Hey handsome, Auntie Roz and Horty miss seeing and playing with you every day!  Have a super weekend, we miss you all very much and hope that one day we can share a cruise together again.

I don't suppose you'll be coming to L.A. to hop on board the Golden Princess to Alaska on May 30th?  It's two weeks and that would be so much fun.......I can dream can't I?  I know you must be pretty much cruised-out this year......but, it would be such fun!  Love you all to the moon and back! ❤️

We haven't done Alaska yet. I've never wanted to fly that far. Haha 😂  

30 minutes ago, rangeley said:

We haven't done Alaska yet. I've never wanted to fly that far. Haha 😂  

Well, you've already done the flying thing....so, that's out of the way.  And, here's a great incentive:  Princess has been offering; free WiFi, free gratuities and free drinking package......what more do you want?  I don't know if they're still offering this package but it sure was the draw for me to book it.