Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

4 hours ago, lindaler said:

I met with guest services and told them they needed to put something absorbent under the turf and to poke holes in the turf so that she wasn't standing in her own pee.  When we returned they had put towels under the turf and had poked holes in the turf.  But then the turf disappeared and just the towels were there before new turf returned hours later but no new towels. 

IMG_2293.JPG

Do you believe, how stupid people can be about proper filler for a dog to go to the bathroom in.

If you brought your own turf it would be very easy to just cover these disgusting towels with your turf and Chavela would be good to go!  Of course, you would have to tell them that when they change the towels, they are to replace your turf on the clean filler.  It just boggles my mind how they make such a simple task so complicated and ridiculous!!!!

On 3/25/2020 at 3:40 AM, Caribbean Chris said:

I know, and yet our governor won’t close things down as aggressively as some other states did, as he’s leaning toward the “resume soon” theory because of course the economy us tanking. He has decreed that arrivals from NY & NJ must self-quarantine, but that won’t happen.  And here we sit with a very large elderly population and an outbreak that has a much higher mortality rate for seniors. 

it’s good to have our dogs in the house to keep things feeling somewhat normal, isn’t it? 

Horton makes every day so much better and easier to manage.

I am shocked at Holland America. They are usually really good with the potty box. We rarely have a problem. As far as the crappy grass, Wexler was a fan. We had that on one of our cruises. Towels really? Most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. 

Glad you straightened everything out and had a good cruise. I'm not happy about Curaçao since we are suppose to be going there next January. We have never been on a cruise where anyone has even touched our dog. I don't think I would do well with someone manhandling the dog. 

9 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Oh!  My Gosh!  I'm so sorry that you had such a negative experience.  The crew members who acted in this terribly rude manner should have been told that when you come out with the dog they are to STOP what they're doing and leave the area, only returning when you leave.

If you have a chance and are up to it please write a letter to management and let them know what had occurred.  You should have been given some sort of credit on your shipboard folio for this horrible experience.

I had intended to write but compared to all that is going on it feels so trivial so I will just chalk it up to experience.  I am sure enough reports were written by the head staff of guest services that it will be noted. 

32 minutes ago, rangeley said:

I am shocked at Holland America. They are usually really good with the potty box. We rarely have a problem. As far as the crappy grass, Wexler was a fan. We had that on one of our cruises. Towels really? Most ridiculous thing I've ever seen. 

Glad you straightened everything out and had a good cruise. I'm not happy about Curaçao since we are suppose to be going there next January. We have never been on a cruise where anyone has even touched our dog. I don't think I would do well with someone manhandling the dog. 

I agree, not what I expected for absorbent material. I suggested bark or shavings but it seemed towels was what they found until we got to Fort Lauderdale. 

As far as Curacao it seems that there wasn't a problem as long as she had been tested for heart worm, and had a negative result and had been continually protected for that and other parasites.  Showing the two meds she was given to take once a month seemed to do the trick. I had the one just for the trip as Chavela is hairless and does not have fleas but the vet said it was necessary to visit some countries. I had kept the inserts that came with the medicine and that seemed to help. 

For the most part, Holland America did all of the communications with the ports and even when we had a surprise port they sent off the information and got permission. 

1 minute ago, lindaler said:

I agree, not what I expected for absorbent material. I suggested bark or shavings but it seemed towels was what they found until we got to Fort Lauderdale. 

As far as Curacao it seems that there wasn't a problem as long as she had been tested for heart worm, and had a negative result and had been continually protected for that and other parasites.  Showing the two meds she was given to take once a month seemed to do the trick. I had the one just for the trip as Chavela is hairless and does not have fleas but the vet said it was necessary to visit some countries. I had kept the inserts that came with the medicine and that seemed to help. 

For the most part, Holland America did all of the communications with the ports and even when we had a surprise port they sent off the information and got permission. 

Once on Hal they claimed they didn't know the dog was coming. They hurried to build a box and put sawdust in it. Not a good filler for a windy deck. Here we are on formal night all dressed up and the dog goes pee and the pee sawdust is blowing all around on us. Ugh. When we got to St Thomas the Captain was going to give some official a ride to the next island but told the guy only if he could get us some grass. Sure enough we had grass before we left the island. 

9 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Oh!  No!  Worthless isn't it!  I would have gone to Guest Services and asked for a bag of wood shavings and a sharp knife [to poke holes in the turf.]

Horton would have never stepped on it if it was wet.  He doesn't like wet paws!

What did you do?

I washed her paws to take the urine off of them and explained again how dangerous it could be for her to stand in a pool of urine. By the next time we went, there was holes in the turf and that was when we got the towels. But they were trying to listen and help. They said they didn't have any shavings or bark or anything and couldn't get it at foreign ports so we had to wait until we got to Fort Lauderdale. They did try. I just wish they had left the sod from the last cruise. If they wanted it to look pretty they could have put the turf over the sod.  

They did have a nice private area on the deck with velvet ropes and metal stands to keep people from going into the area as though that stops people. One day I went out to find a man sleeping in a chair he had drug over to be right next to the box and his wife had set up an easel  and was painting. They said they were wondering what the box was for and after Chavela did her job they kind of moved away.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, lindaler said:

I washed her paws to take the urine off of them and explained again how dangerous it could be for her to stand in a pool of urine. By the next time we went, there was holes in the turf and that was when we got the towels. But they were trying to listen and help. They said they didn't have any shavings or bark or anything and couldn't get it at foreign ports so we had to wait until we got to Fort Lauderdale. They did try. I just wish they had left the sod from the last cruise. If they wanted it to look pretty they could have put the turf over the sod.  

They did have a nice private area on the deck with velvet ropes and metal stands to keep people from going into the area as though that stops people. One day I went out to find a man sleeping in a chair he had drug over to be right next to the box and his wife had set up an easel  and was painting. They said they were wondering what the box was for and after Chavela did her job they kind of moved away.  

Awwwwe!  To cruise with the clueless.....Aint life grand!

Happy, Safe, Secure, Germ Free, Mask Wearing Weekend to Everyone.  😷

My job this week was to find someone who could come to my home and cut Horton's nails.......FORGET IT!!!!!  All the "portable" dog groomers say that they will be fined and lose their business licenses if they attempt to come to my home, [they are considered a "non-essential" business here in L.A. right now]  They all suggest that I contact my Vet's office and make an appointment. 

I do have some good clippers that CCI gave me when I graduated with Brenda.  I've never used them because after one attempt I wasn't very good at using them.  I'll see, if I can't get out, I may try to clip them myself.  Horton's nails are so black, so thick and sooooo long!!!!!  😲

34 minutes ago, wizard-of-roz said:

My job this week was to find someone who could come to my home and cut Horton's nails.......FORGET IT!!!!!  All the "portable" dog groomers say that they will be fined and lose their business licenses if they attempt to come to my home, [they are considered a "non-essential" business here in L.A. right now]  They all suggest that I contact my Vet's office and make an appointment. 

I do have some good clippers that CCI gave me when I graduated with Brenda.  I've never used them because after one attempt I wasn't very good at using them.  I'll see, if I can't get out, I may try to clip them myself.  Horton's nails are so black, so thick and sooooo long!!!!!  😲

Have you tried a pet nail dremel? That’s what I use since I don’t have the hand strength or dexterity to use a nail clipper. 

When I can’t get to a groomer I use the dremel too. At least I won’t cut too deep and hurt her. It takes a little longer but I feel better about it. I got my dremel at a hardware store and get the sand paper rings from walmart pet department. 

Edited by lindaler

56 minutes ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Have you tried a pet nail dremel? That’s what I use since I don’t have the hand strength or dexterity to use a nail clipper. 

I keep meaning to purchase a dremel but always call the groomer instead.  I, too, have some physical issues that won't allow me to get on the floor and do Horton's nails from a "sitting-on-the-floor" position.

I'll wait til Monday and call the Vet for an appointment.

18 minutes ago, lindaler said:

When I can’t get to a groomer I use the dremel too. At least I won’t cut too deep and hurt her. It takes a little longer but I feel better about it. I got my dremel at a hardware store and get the sand paper rings from walmart pet department. 

The groomer always uses the dremel on Horton, and he's such a patient and wonderful boy, allowing anyone to do anything to him.

1 hour ago, wizard-of-roz said:

For those who need to clip their dog's nails and are concerned about cutting too deep, a quick (no pun intended) observation of nail anatomy might help.  I'm attaching a picture (hopefully) that I just drew to help.  As you can see from my lame drawing, a dog's toenail isn't too different from a horse's hoof in that there is a stiff sole, which is surrounded by a 'hoof wall'.  In dogs, you want to remove any wall (nail) that extends past the sole, and you want to clip in a line that is mostly parallel to the sole (see my dotted line titled 'cut' ).  Most people nick the quick on their dogs because they are removing the nail perpendicular to the sole, more or less lopping the entire tip of the nail off which then removes the end covering the quick.  I hope this helps during times like this where professional services aren't available!  Odd timing - I just trimmed 3 of our dogs' nails today!

dog toenail anatomy.JPG

2 hours ago, Mavis and Me said:

For those who need to clip their dog's nails and are concerned about cutting too deep, a quick (no pun intended) observation of nail anatomy might help.  I'm attaching a picture (hopefully) that I just drew to help.  As you can see from my lame drawing, a dog's toenail isn't too different from a horse's hoof in that there is a stiff sole, which is surrounded by a 'hoof wall'.  In dogs, you want to remove any wall (nail) that extends past the sole, and you want to clip in a line that is mostly parallel to the sole (see my dotted line titled 'cut' ).  Most people nick the quick on their dogs because they are removing the nail perpendicular to the sole, more or less lopping the entire tip of the nail off which then removes the end covering the quick.  I hope this helps during times like this where professional services aren't available!  Odd timing - I just trimmed 3 of our dogs' nails today!

dog toenail anatomy.JPG

Thank you so much for this........I know it's just a matter of practice, practice, practice.  

Years ago I had a rabbit and I cut his nails, I made them bleed once and it made me so sad that I had caused him to hurt.  It made me shy from cutting any more animal nails again.

15 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

I'd do it! I do Oaklands once a week. When we got Wexler, they insisted I learn how to do nails. I've been doing them ever since. 

13 hours ago, lindaler said:

We bought a dremel a few months ago. Only tried it once. Oakland was not thrilled and I gave up. I will try again soon. I used one on a pet dog years ago so I'm familiar with them. 

I also use Dremel.   Black claws and poor hand strength make it a must.  My school gets them started young with it so it’s no big deal.  Lots of YouTube videos - and only use the sandpaper rings... Not any of the metal attachments.

Note - I tried the “pet” version during training with Nico but I didn’t like it.  There’s a plastic ring around the sleeve where you insert the nail.  Sounds good, but unless your perfectly lined up it’s really annoying.  The regular tool is fine.  Get the cordless one!  I’ve had the original tool for around 15 years - I got it for my first SD - and I’ve had to replace the battery once.  All in all WAY cheaper than vet visits for a trim!

Edited to add - Amazon must have them.

Edited by Miki_moto

I clip a few nails at a time. One of my dogs Tina HATES her feet being touched and nails clipped. I end up clipping 1 or 2 nails every week or two. You do not have to do it all in one setting. Sharp nail cutters are a must. The dull ones make the job so much worse and you are more likely to do damage to the dog. Sasha who is my dads dog does not mind her nails clipped at all. I do not have to do it very often, but when I do she is perfect. I have only had to clip Bella's nails 1x since I got her in early September. She was supper easy to do. I had to clip nails for all three dogs this week funny enough. Normally it is more spaced out. 

I used to raise show rabbits so would have 30 something rabbits at a time. I was always clipping nails it seemed. I got really good at it. It is a skill that has come in handy. I have 3 dogs and 3 cats currently and I clip all their nails when needed. If you look closely at the nail there is a texture difference when the quick is. It is really hard to see unless you know what to look for. I have only clipped the quick 1x in the past few years and that was Tina and she was moving around to much. 

Good luck to everyone clipping nails and grooming your fur babies. Also stay healthy. I made some home made face masks today per the CDC guidelines. 

2 hours ago, rangeley said:

I'd do it! I do Oaklands once a week. When we got Wexler, they insisted I learn how to do nails. I've been doing them ever since. 

I wish CCI Santa Rosa would have worked with us more on this......I wouldn't be so darn shy.

1 hour ago, springredheadsdd said:

I clip a few nails at a time. One of my dogs Tina HATES her feet being touched and nails clipped. I end up clipping 1 or 2 nails every week or two. You do not have to do it all in one setting. Sharp nail cutters are a must. The dull ones make the job so much worse and you are more likely to do damage to the dog. Sasha who is my dads dog does not mind her nails clipped at all. I do not have to do it very often, but when I do she is perfect. I have only had to clip Bella's nails 1x since I got her in early September. She was supper easy to do. I had to clip nails for all three dogs this week funny enough. Normally it is more spaced out. 

I used to raise show rabbits so would have 30 something rabbits at a time. I was always clipping nails it seemed. I got really good at it. It is a skill that has come in handy. I have 3 dogs and 3 cats currently and I clip all their nails when needed. If you look closely at the nail there is a texture difference when the quick is. It is really hard to see unless you know what to look for. I have only clipped the quick 1x in the past few years and that was Tina and she was moving around to much. 

Good luck to everyone clipping nails and grooming your fur babies. Also stay healthy. I made some home made face masks today per the CDC guidelines. 

Thank you so much for your wonderful input.

1 hour ago, Miki_moto said:

I also use Dremel.   Black claws and poor hand strength make it a must.  My school gets them started young with it so it’s no big deal.  Lots of YouTube videos - and only use the sandpaper rings... Not any of the metal attachments.

Note - I tried the “pet” version during training with Nico but I didn’t like it.  There’s a plastic ring around the sleeve where you insert the nail.  Sounds good, but unless your perfectly lined up it’s really annoying.  The regular tool is fine.  Get the cordless one!  I’ve had the original tool for around 15 years - I got it for my first SD - and I’ve had to replace the battery once.  All in all WAY cheaper than vet visits for a trim!

Edited to add - Amazon must have them.

Thank you.  When I watch the groomer use a dremel it looks so easy.  I will check out Amazon.

2 hours ago, rangeley said:

We bought a dremel a few months ago. Only tried it once. Oakland was not thrilled and I gave up. I will try again soon. I used one on a pet dog years ago so I'm familiar with them. 

If you do try it, let us know how it goes.