Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I do have a question about food. Since my next cruise (if it happens) leaves from the US I was planning on carrying on a few  servings of her food with me on the plane but then buying a bag of it when I get to Florida so I'm not lugging it around the airport. We are going a few days early so I won't have to rush. Our cruise is a transatlantic cruise that is 12 days.

What is the best way to get the food onboard the ship? What does everyone do as far as storing the food? I could just leave it in the bag but I wondered if there was something better I could be doing.

We took all that we needed, even on the cross country flight.  That way, we had exactly what we wanted and didn't have to worry about finding it.  

I packed each serving in a sandwich baggie.  I feed Scooter 150 gms of the kibble we use, plus a joint chew and a fish oil caplet.  So, each baggie had the 150 gms of kibble, the joint chew and the fish oil and all I needed to do was dump each baggie into his bowl at meal time.  

Scooter had an entire suitcase.  Food, a few toys, extra leashes, extra cape, extra harness, life jacket, extra copies of documents.  We flew in the night before our cruise, and stayed afterwards in Seattle for a number of days, so we needed to take plenty.  Having each meal in a baggie was very helpful.  

Then, I simply stored the pre-prepared baggies in the suitcase under the bed, taking a couple of day's out at a time.  Helped to keep the clutter down.  Went ahead and tossed each baggie in the trash when it was empty, since we were traveling.  I use baggies at home now as well, but use them a number of times before tossing them.  

Check with the hotel.  You may be able to get Chewy to ship directly to the hotel.  Maybe bring an extra suitcase or bag to put it in to carry on the plane.   What city are you cruising out of?  Maybe you can Uber to a pet store and pick up enough for the trip

I feed wet so when we go on a 32 day cruise she gets her own suitcase filled with sixty eight individual meals, her blankets, spare halter and leash, treats, dog bowl, and so on. Being hairless she also needs sweaters and such. 

2 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

We took all that we needed, even on the cross country flight.  That way, we had exactly what we wanted and didn't have to worry about finding it.  

I packed each serving in a sandwich baggie.  I feed Scooter 150 gms of the kibble we use, plus a joint chew and a fish oil caplet.  So, each baggie had the 150 gms of kibble, the joint chew and the fish oil and all I needed to do was dump each baggie into his bowl at meal time.  

Scooter had an entire suitcase.  Food, a few toys, extra leashes, extra cape, extra harness, life jacket, extra copies of documents.  We flew in the night before our cruise, and stayed afterwards in Seattle for a number of days, so we needed to take plenty.  Having each meal in a baggie was very helpful.  

Then, I simply stored the pre-prepared baggies in the suitcase under the bed, taking a couple of day's out at a time.  Helped to keep the clutter down.  Went ahead and tossed each baggie in the trash when it was empty, since we were traveling.  I use baggies at home now as well, but use them a number of times before tossing them.  

That's a great idea about the baggies! That would make it much easier each day. I also think I'll be getting her a suit case for all of her supplies. Thanks for the ideas!

2 minutes ago, kmg365suzyq said:

Check with the hotel.  You may be able to get Chewy to ship directly to the hotel.  Maybe bring an extra suitcase or bag to put it in to carry on the plane.   What city are you cruising out of?  Maybe you can Uber to a pet store and pick up enough for the trip

That's also a great idea! I don't think we know which hotel we will be staying at yet, but we are sailing out of Cape Canaveral. I think we will be staying in Orlando, so I know we would be able to find her food easily. I may just go ahead and prepack it though since you all recommended a suit case just for her. I have plenty of time to decide. Thanks!

You are welcome!  
Don't forget to take any emergency meds you might need, along with shoes for your dog.  The deck can get quite hot under paws in the sun.  Since you'll be at sea, check ahead of time about an anti-nausea, benedryl, and take vet wrap and a bleed-stop stick.  If your dog is like mine you'll need to take nail clippers along as well.

6 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

You are welcome!  
Don't forget to take any emergency meds you might need, along with shoes for your dog.  The deck can get quite hot under paws in the sun.  Since you'll be at sea, check ahead of time about an anti-nausea, benedryl, and take vet wrap and a bleed-stop stick.  If your dog is like mine you'll need to take nail clippers along as well.

You never realize how much you might need. I was really glad I had packed her  booties. In Costa Rica the sidewalks were so hot. And there was glass all over. Even though people pointed At her, it was good to knew she was ok. 

34 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

You are welcome!  

I'm already looking at suit cases for her! Also that's a great idea to bring the medication and things. I usually keep Benedryl handy. Mila loves to try to catch bugs including bees! So far she hasn't gotten stung, but I know her mom has been and had an allergic reaction. She's okay! Her owner had Benedryl handy as well.

This group is seriously the best. I know I'll have more questions and I know you are all amazing at answering them. Thank you!!

We do not have a cruise booked yet but do have a trip to Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks planed for September. I have been working on a packing list and am wondering if I am forgetting anything?

Food bowl, water bowl,  collapsible water bowl, dry food, wet food, can lids, pumpkin, cosequin, fortiflora, toys, bones, treats, training treats, treat pouch, poop bags, poop bag holder, SD vest, hands free leash, traffic leash, flexi fleash, harness, reflective bandanna, health certificate, vaccination records, ada access cards, grooming wipes, rain coat

I know it seems like a lot but I want to be prepared. What are peoples thoughts? Am I over packing? We have been unable to find boots that work for her. Each pair we have tried rotated on her feet so the sole was on the top of the food. Bella does not have dew claws. 

5 hours ago, springredheadsdd said:

We do not have a cruise booked yet but do have a trip to Yellowstone and Glacier National Parks planed for September. I have been working on a packing list and am wondering if I am forgetting anything?

Food bowl, water bowl,  collapsible water bowl, dry food, wet food, can lids, pumpkin, cosequin, fortiflora, toys, bones, treats, training treats, treat pouch, poop bags, poop bag holder, SD vest, hands free leash, traffic leash, flexi fleash, harness, reflective bandanna, health certificate, vaccination records, ada access cards, grooming wipes, rain coat

I know it seems like a lot but I want to be prepared. What are peoples thoughts? Am I over packing? We have been unable to find boots that work for her. Each pair we have tried rotated on her feet so the sole was on the top of the food. Bella does not have dew claws. 

If Bella is subject to ear infections, don't forget to bring her med's, just in case.  I'm like you, I like to be prepared for anything and everything.

I love zip lock bags and pack his two meals a day [when he was cruising] individually in a bag: Kibble, a squirt of salmon oil, and glucosamine/chondroitin chewables.  I bring enough for the entire trip plus a few extra's for an emergency feeding.  I throw the bags away when empty.   The oil really makes them impossible to re-use. 

Horton's food stays with me as I'm checking in and the rest of his supplies go into his own suitcase.  REMEMBER:  You should NEVER have to pay extra for any supplies/food/etc. or for your dog.  It is all considered "durable medical equipment" and is not subject to any extra charges from airlines or other carriers.

• Like 2

I wish everyone a good weekend ahead.  

Horton is doing very well on his Thyroid and Cushings med's.  He's playful and loving life again. 

I had my phone interview with CCI and am looking for my invite to my "In-person interview."  I will be going to Oceanside for a "Service Dog" when I finally get to the "Team Training" portion of my wait for a Successor Dog.  In the meantime, Horton is by my side [asked to do a lot less than usual], but he's with me and I'm very grateful for each and every day.

With what is going on in our world today, any way, we're both taking life as easy as we can.  I do venture out when I have to and he goes with me.  It's not easy because he must use a ramp to enter and exit my vehicle and he does tire-out more easily.  Honestly, we both tire-out more easily!!!!!!!  His afternoon naps are very LONG and very DEEP these days.

• Like 1

So we were booked on a Christmas cruise this year, and have been sure for a long time that it would cancel. Got the email this week that Holland America sold four of their ships, including Amsterdam, our Christmas ship.

So after more than an hour on the phone with the TA, we have rebooked for a Thanksgiving 2021 cruise to Hawaii, 18 days, RT SanDiego. I looked at the records for my dog’s Hawaii titer, and it will still be valid for entry. This cruise will take the place of our 40th anniversary Hawaii cruise that was Covid-cancelled back in March shortly before departure date. I hope things are normal by 16 months from now, but who knows?

After going through the Hawaii dog drill earlier this year, I now know the ropes, no stress, thanks to everyone’s help here! The itinerary has Honolulu as the first stop, so no hassles with lining up a vet in one of the other islands.

31 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

So we were booked on a Christmas cruise this year, and have been sure for a long time that it would cancel. Got the email this week that Holland America sold four of their ships, including Amsterdam, our Christmas ship.

So after more than an hour on the phone with the TA, we have rebooked for a Thanksgiving 2021 cruise to Hawaii, 18 days, RT SanDiego. I looked at the records for my dog’s Hawaii titer, and it will still be valid for entry. This cruise will take the place of our 40th anniversary Hawaii cruise that was Covid-cancelled back in March shortly before departure date. I hope things are normal by 16 months from now, but who knows?

After going through the Hawaii dog drill earlier this year, I now know the ropes, no stress, thanks to everyone’s help here! The itinerary has Honolulu as the first stop, so no hassles with lining up a vet in one of the other islands.

That sounds like a great alternative for your Hawaiian cruise Chris. San Diego is a fun place to visit too. It’s disappointing to have all these cruises canceled.

We just canceled our October Transatlantic cruise from Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale. We moved it to a back-to-back Pacific Coastal and Alaskan cruise in May. If we stay on the west coast we could always drive home if we had to.

Fingers crossed that we can all be back to cruising next year!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Roz, what happened with the appointment for a second opinion on Horty that CCI requested? (Maybe you posted and I missed it.)

The second opinion is scheduled for July 22nd, next week.  I'm not looking forward to handing Horton over to strangers and then they putting him through a physical and blood draw with me no where in sight.  It's truly a sign of our times, but to do it when it's not absolutely necessary makes me nuts!

Thanks for asking Chris, I'll let you all know how it goes afterwards.

4 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Sounds so good......doesn't it feel wonderful to have a cruise in sight? 

3 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

That sounds like a great alternative for your Hawaiian cruise Chris. San Diego is a fun place to visit too. It’s disappointing to have all these cruises canceled.

We just canceled our October Transatlantic cruise from Barcelona to Ft Lauderdale. We moved it to a back-to-back Pacific Coastal and Alaskan cruise in May. If we stay on the west coast we could always drive home if we had to.

I'm booked for July 3, 2021 to Alaska.......praying for the Covid vaccine and continued good health!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Details please.  We might be taking a cruise off the west coast next May.  Curious if it would be with you guys.  I would love to travel with a(nother) service dog.  Rich is so stressed about it, that he is insisting we start cruising without Halo.  I would like for him to see it doesn't have to be stressful.

Linda and Halo

34 minutes ago, rpclmc said:

Details please.  We might be taking a cruise off the west coast next May.  Curious if it would be with you guys.  I would love to travel with a(nother) service dog.  Rich is so stressed about it, that he is insisting we start cruising without Halo.  I would like for him to see it doesn't have to be stressful.

Linda and Halo

Linda, I totally get where Rich is coming from.  We want our cruise to be about that long sought-after vacation and then it becomes about our Service Dog instead.  

Traveling with your Service Dog can bring some added worrisome moments......but, they are just "moments", they don't obscure all the wonderful hours that fulfill our bucket lists onboard a cruise, I promise.

I must admit traveling with another person who has a Service Dog truly adds to the wonderful experience and certainly brings much more fun to the whole cruise......Thank you Cindy, John and Oakland for all the amazing hours of fun and joy that you brought to my California Coastal Cruise before all hell broke loose!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

15 hours ago, wizard-of-roz said:

Linda, I totally get where Rich is coming from.  We want our cruise to be about that long sought-after vacation and then it becomes about our Service Dog instead.  

Traveling with your Service Dog can bring some added worrisome moments......but, they are just "moments", they don't obscure all the wonderful hours that fulfill our bucket lists onboard a cruise, I promise.

I must admit traveling with another person who has a Service Dog truly adds to the wonderful experience and certainly brings much more fun to the whole cruise......Thank you Cindy, John and Oakland for all the amazing hours of fun and joy that you brought to my California Coastal Cruise before all hell broke loose!

Our first and only cruise with Halo, so far, went fine.  Except Rich was so stressed the whole time, he could not relax.  Halo did amazing.  Due to all the advice on here, everything went smoothly, with Halo.  He was box trained, from recommendations here and did amazingly well.

The staff was wonderful.  We only had 1 negative comment from a group of people and it wasn't too bad.  They just said they would get off the elevator if we got on with Halo as they were terrified of dogs.  I can't even imagine being that scared of dogs, cautious yes - terrified I don't get.  We just waited for the next elevator, they were on first and it was no big deal.

Linda and Halo

18 hours ago, rpclmc said:

Linda and Halo

We are on the Celebrity Eclipse five-day Pacific Coastal and the following nine-day Alaskan cruise. Both leave out of Vancouver. This is about as low stress with a service dog as you can get. All you need is an Aphis Form 7001 (without endorsement) and a current rabies certificate. Since all of the ports are in the US or British Columbia, you are covered by either the ADA or the BC service dog law which is very similar. 

My experience at Target yesterday:  I was walking down an aisle and a woman was walking towards me, until she saw Horton.......You would have thought she had just seen a four headed, giant, prickly-furred MONSTER!  She let out a scream and started walking backwards.  I said, "are you afraid of dogs?"  She shook her head, so hard it almost flew off her shoulders.  I said, in a very calm voice, "please keep walking forward and past us,  I promise my dog will sit and only watch you!"  She moved forward, very slowly and literally shaking so hard, she was rattling the cart.  Horton sat and watched her, as did the rest of the folks in the aisle.  I think she went directly to check-out because we didn't see her again.   

Sometimes training the public can be more difficult than the dog!   That said, I have deep respect for people who have horrible fears of dogs and certainly do not expect to see one walking in their supermarket.  Horton is big and, unfortunately, the black dog can be very feared by many.  

• Like 1