Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

1 hour ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Jezzy Lou had her surgery yesterday.   We also had her dental done at the same time.  Poor girl got it as both ends!  She had to have 4 teeth removed.  They were loose anyway and would have caused her problems.  She did pretty good last night.  Slept good for the most part.  Hasn't been trying to lick the sutures.  She seems uncomfortable right now.  Like she can't get comfortable.  I think it is time for another pain pill.  Its been 6 hours and they had already cut them in half and she told me to cut them again.  So she really only a quarter one of it this morning.  I hate when you don't know what to do for them.  Here's to fast healing and better health for my girl. ❤️

Nancy, I totally understand your feelings.  Horton and I are sending our love and BIG VIRTUAL HUGS to both you and our little Jezzy Lou.  🌺

We pray that she will have good health and total healing on both her ends!!!!! ❣️

• Like 1

I hope that all pups and people are doing well. 

Horton is doing remarkably well on his partial people food and senior Eukanuba kibble, with the addition of senior multi vitamins twice daily, with a sprinkle of pro-biotics.  He sleeps longer and prefers to lay near me more, but he's enjoying each day with a sparkle in his eyes and I love every minute of his company!

It's been a very difficult year for so many of us.  Please take care of you and keep good thoughts of better days ahead in your sights🌺

• Like 3

Mornin' All,

I hope everyone is just busy and all is well.  I have had my hands full with Ms. Jezzy Lou, after surgery.  She has finally settled down and we have minimal chewing and licking of the wound.  So back to Vet September 21 for check up, stitch removal and blood work to check on the liver levels.  She has been on a med  for the liver function for almost a month.  There is a larger bed in the computer room for her.  She has most of her stuffies in it and she burrows in and snuggles up with them.  I actually think she is trying to hide from the mean momma that wants to check that bum out! ❤️

6 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Mornin' All,

I hope everyone is just busy and all is well.  I have had my hands full with Ms. Jezzy Lou, after surgery.  She has finally settled down and we have minimal chewing and licking of the wound.  So back to Vet September 21 for check up, stitch removal and blood work to check on the liver levels.  She has been on a med  for the liver function for almost a month.  There is a larger bed in the computer room for her.  She has most of her stuffies in it and she burrows in and snuggles up with them.  I actually think she is trying to hide from the mean momma that wants to check that bum out! ❤️

Busy, is a good word for keeping up with life these days.  😲

I'm so glad to hear that Jezzy Lou is recuperating well.  I hope she continues to do well and starts being herself very soon.

The fires are affecting all of us and I hope that no one has suffered too much damage and we all can get through this orange colored sky and ashes.  Just when I thought a pandemic would be enough to survive in 2020 something else comes up and creates hell on earth!!!!!

Stay safe and well everyone!  🌺

• Like 2

Boy, what I wouldn't give to see a beautiful blue sky again.  The air and sky are gray/brown and have a smell to match!  My daughter lives in the mountains of Eugene, Oregon and although she has not been told to evacuate she and her family have to remain indoors because the ash flying around makes them choke when outdoors.

The challenges of this year, 2020, are reaching far beyond what anyone should have to face.

I hope and pray that we all get through this, come out the other side and can once again write about our wonderful days upon the sea!

• Like 2

Roz, the video stories on the news and photos from the West Coast are so shocking and heart-rending. I’m glad you and Horty are OK. Over here in the SW Florida coast, we had soaking rains all weekend from TS Sally. If only we could send it out west.

Raylene’s trainer from Dogs for the Deaf opened her own very successful dog training studio about 5 years ago in Phoenix, Oregon, which is one of the towns almost leveled by the fire - last I heard, they were feeling lucky that the fire stopped in her parking lot before reaching the building.

Being able to cruise again seems like an unattainable dream these days. We’ve moved two departures to 2022. Will try again then for Hawaii in Jan 2022 - soon after that, the three year validity for Raylene’s blood titer test will end.

14 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Roz, the video stories on the news and photos from the West Coast are so shocking and heart-rending. I’m glad you and Horty are OK. Over here in the SW Florida coast, we had soaking rains all weekend from TS Sally. If only we could send it out west.

Raylene’s trainer from Dogs for the Deaf opened her own very successful dog training studio about 5 years ago in Phoenix, Oregon, which is one of the towns almost leveled by the fire - last I heard, they were feeling lucky that the fire stopped in her parking lot before reaching the building.

Being able to cruise again seems like an unattainable dream these days. We’ve moved two departures to 2022. Will try again then for Hawaii in Jan 2022 - soon after that, the three year validity for Raylene’s blood titer test will end.

Chris, I'm so glad that your friend, in Oregon, did not lose her training studio.  It's truly a nightmare for so many.  Where I live the national forests are on fire and the smoke is blanketing our area and changing our beautiful blue skies to brown.   We're looking for a change in the weather where a cool, windy condition will come in and blow all the acrid smoke off to the deserts.

My thoughts go to the displaced wildlife population of deer, rabbits, squirrels, bears, snakes, etc.  I wish I could rescue them all and feed and house them.  It breaks my heart to think of how afraid they must be!

Roz, the winds have blown a lot of smoke clear to Arizona.  Our crystal blue skies have been hazy grey for over a week now.  Looks over cast but it's smoke.  It's coming from the Oak Glen fire.  I believe that is the one that started from a gender reveal party gone wrong!  What's wrong with balloons or confetti or anything but some kind of excelorant (sp) in the dry, brittle landscape.  😥 🔥

7 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Roz, the winds have blown a lot of smoke clear to Arizona.  Our crystal blue skies have been hazy grey for over a week now.  Looks over cast but it's smoke.  It's coming from the Oak Glen fire.  I believe that is the one that started from a gender reveal party gone wrong!  What's wrong with balloons or confetti or anything but some kind of excelorant (sp) in the dry, brittle landscape.  😥 🔥

Nancy, some people are so thoughtless and selfish.  I hope that they are made to pay some sort of fine/or are made to work hours in helping to serve or assist our exhausted and hard working fire fighters.

• Like 1

Roz, mixed emotions on this one.  I am sure they were just trying to be cool and follow the trend of the whole gender reveal thing.  Although I don't think pyrotechnics are the best choice to achieve it.  Sadly a firefighter has died while fighting that blaze. 💔😥  I have a nephew that is a firefighter.  He is in central California so not sure if he is on the front lines.  Now for the idiots right here in town shooting them off, $*&-$.  We still have vacant lots in town which are covered in weeds.  We have one kitty corner behind us and one kitty corner in front of us.  We dig remnants from our pool several times a month.  Unfortunately they are as dumb as they appear.  They shoot a couple off, go back in the house, then half hour to an hour comeback out and shoot a couple more.  I can't even get outside fast enough to see where it is coming from. 😵              

Jezzy is finally  doing pretty good from her surgery.  She has her follow up appointment Monday,  also have a new blood test to check her liver levels to see if she will.have to take Denamarin the rest of her life of if the levels are back to with in acceptable levels.  I finally, after all these years have found a way to give her pills.  I just scoop peanut butter up on it and put some on another finger and she just laps it down!  

Hope everyone has an enjoyable weekend.  Our temps have finally come down to tolerable. 🐾💞💖

I came home from in patient rehab on September 9.  I am still 100% non weight bearing on my right leg.  That means I cannot do anything myself, pee, poop, shower, eat, etc.  I am getting really tired of this but I know it is temporary and everyday is closer to healing.

Every time I get moved, Halo is right there.  He doesn't know what to do to help, he really can't do anything, but he is right by me looking concerned.  Each time the nurse, physical therapist and/or occupational therapist comes in, he lays about 2 feet away and just watches.

I hope everyone by the fires are doing well.  It is getting cooler and some rain.  It was horrible here in Idaho, with our own fires and then the smoke blowing in from the fires in Oregon, Washington and California.  We are finally getting blue skies and I think, our fires, in Idaho, are getting contained more.

My daughter did move back to help me out and not make it so Rich was the only one to take care of me.  She graduated in May, but was staying 3.5 hours away, in Pocatello, with her boyfriend.  He graduates in May 2021.  They were both moving back after he graduated.  She hated the town, loved the University, but not the town.  Now that she is graduated and the University mostly closed down due to COVID, she just decided coming back would be best.  She has a job and then we pay her for 10-15 hours a week of care.  She is available more, but that is what we pay her for.  

Linda and Halo

Ok. I have a question. There is talk about virus sniffing dogs at airports and cruise terminals. My question is does anyone else have problems with detection dogs?  Whether  I have been at cruise terminals or at Disneyland, when a dog sees Chavela the handler has to hold the dog back. My dog doesn’t seem to notice so it’s not something she does to set them off. 

15 minutes ago, lindaler said:

My question is does anyone else have problems with detection dogs?

Every time Mavis and I have gotten in a line with some sort of detection dog, they have asked us to move to a different line where there isn’t a dog. I think it’s partially because Mavis looks so powerful that they are afraid she could injure the other dog. I’m always relieved because I’m pretty sure that the other dog would injure HER!! The detection dogs I’ve seen have always seemed kind of spastic and uncontrolled, not calm and obedient like Mavis. This scenario scares me and always gives me anxiety!

I have tried to write this several times but I can hardly see for tears ..... Roz ...... dear dear sweet lady .... I never got the chance to meet Roz but she was always there for me and for everyone else over so many years.   

Totally in shock.  😢💔

Panamama 42 - thank you for letting us know - big hugs to Roz's big boy Horty.  She totally adored that boy.   

Can't believe this sad, sad news.  

Edited to add:  Panamama42 - just realised who you are from your other post - please accept my sincere condolences for your loss.

Edited by fairbourne
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Panamama42 said:

I am trying to let all of Roz’s friends know that she has passed away

I am so sad and heartbroken. I will miss seeing Roz’s weekly purple well-wishes and her enthusiasm for all thing travel! Roz and others on this forum gave me the confidence to cruise with my own service dog and I will be forever thankful!! Blessings to her family during this time of sadness.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Panamama42 said:

I am trying to let all of Roz’s friends know that she has passed away. Her service dog Horton is here with me. He has been retired and will live out his days here. Thank you all 

Oh, no!  I'm so sorry to lose my friend  Roz :(. I'm glad that you have Horton. He must be very upset and depending on you to take care of him.  Give him a hug from me, please.  I'm brokenhearted. 

• Like 1

Oh Roz, we will miss you. Morty and Brenda must be overjoyed to be reunited with you in heaven. 

It is unbelievable that Roz, who was such an inspiration and a life-force even for people who never met her in person, could now have left us. She never complained about her own physical challenges, just alluded to them as needed when she gave advice.

I, too, doubt I would ever have cruised with my dog without Roz and her generous advice. My favorite thing is that Roz never hesitated to tell us the funny, crazy episodes when Brenda or Horty slipped up. She made me realize that our hero service dogs are also “only human” sometimes and all would be okay. She encouraged me to stand up for myself and defend the dog’s needs. She de-mystified the sometimes wacky paperwork and made it seem possible to obtain it. When we finally are able to go to Hawaii, it will be thanks to Roz.

Thank you, Dear Roz, for inspiring us to take the leap.

• Like 1