Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Hello,  I have received my SD since we last cruised a year ago and just booked back to back 7 day cruises on the NCL Sky for September 2022.... it’s a ways away but I am so excited as it’ll be my 60th birthday on the cruise and the Sky was the first ship we ever cruised on so feels very right to be the first ship to take Rory my SD on (although if I have my way we will cruise soon as COVID clears up LOL)

I was wondering if anyone has advice or tips cruising with a small SD?  
Rory is a Biewer Terrier and is only 3.2 lbs, he is either held or carried in a sling while he is working as his  tasks require him being close to my wrists and/or heart.  Because he is so tiny most people think he is a ‘fake’ SD so it does prompt a fair bit of conversation (not always friendly unfortunately) but he is highly trained and well behaved on and off leash. 

Thanks .. and Happy New Year to everyone 🎉🎊

• Like 1

Happy New Year everyone!!!!!

Let's hope this year can be a much better, safer year!

We have changed our cruise to April of 2022. Hopefully we will be able to sail by then.

My family and I are considering taking a trip to visit my brother in Amsterdam later this year, if it is safe. If we do this it will be Mila's first trip in an airplane. We would be able to get her European passport ahead of time and then we wouldn't have to stress about it for the cruise in April '22. I'm just excited at the possibility!

I hope everyone had a safe holiday!

On 12/24/2020 at 1:49 PM, fairbourne said:

One less creature to manage.  

Algebralovr - I did laugh at this statement as only a wife could! 😂

I'm glad to give you a giggle!!

The funny part is that it is a toss up whether DH is managing me and the dog or I'm managing him and the dog.  After 2 hours in the car, I am so stiff I can barely walk, so DH has to help me out, then I have to lean on the cane while trying to manage the dog (who hates the cane).  Meanwhile, Scooter is SO HAPPY to be out of the car, even for a few minutes - he is ready to potty and take a short break, and there isn't always a good place to do that.  Plus, the trip is apparently over 20 hours by car each way from mid-Missouri to the south Florida Keys. 

I'm so spoiled!  I'm used to a cruise ship during my February vacation.  3 hour flight (after 2 hour drive to the airport) and I'm in FL the night before.  Then a couple of weeks of someone else doing all the cooking and cleaning and such.  This year, we have a kitchenette, a grocery store, etc.  I'm looking forward to the break and the sun and the beach, but I'm not looking forward to cooking and cleaning up from cooking and such.  You know?

• Like 1

On 12/31/2020 at 4:12 PM, M0rrie said:

I was wondering if anyone has advice or tips cruising with a small SD?  
Rory is a Biewer Terrier and is only 3.2 lbs, he is either held or carried in a sling while he is working as his  tasks require him being close to my wrists and/or heart.  Because he is so tiny most people think he is a ‘fake’ SD so it does prompt a fair bit of conversation (not always friendly unfortunately) but he is highly trained and well behaved on and off leash. 

Thanks .. and Happy New Year to everyone 🎉🎊

Congratulations on your new Service Dog. I don't have any tips for you since I have a 65lb Lab. Since your dog is task trained, I would just ignore any negativity. Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 1

Barb, what’s the name of the place where you staying in the Keys? I’ll be interested to hear how you like it. I’ve looked online at a lot of cottage-type places with kitchenettes and thought about booking a Keys getaway later this year.

We drove down to the Keys from NC for several years each winter before moving to Florida, but were always in an RV (which we sold in 2019). It’s around 300 miles now from SW Florida, so just five or six hours....which does beat 20 hours each way!

Fingers crossed that Florida has sunshine & warm weather for you whenever you come. One December we were in Key West on a cruise ship and it was in the 40s.

• 2 weeks later...

Morning all,

Hope everyone is well and just busy.  I know we are about tired of this sickness.  Being in Arizona is no fun since we have the highest number of cases in the world! 😵  Being a resort town and the weather being mild this year, we have had lots of visitors to our state.  I'm sure that doesn't help.  It seems people are getting more and more lax and I'm sure it is why the surge in cases.  

Enough of that.  I'm wondering if the cruise industry will ever get back to normal?  We will just have to wait and see. 

• Like 1

Hey everyone...it's been awhile I know. I have missed you all.

We had to say good-bye to Lucy a couple of months ago; most of you know how hard that was.

I'll check back after I have read the 3000 posts I have missed...

Keith

ps Chris I loved the pic of Raylene in her scarf!

14 hours ago, alexspepa said:

Hey everyone...it's been awhile I know. I have missed you all.

We had to say good-bye to Lucy a couple of months ago; most of you know how hard that was.

I'll check back after I have read the 3000 posts I have missed...

Keith

ps Chris I loved the pic of Raylene in her scarf!

Keith, I’m so sorry to hear about Lucy. So very hard.

It was good of you to check in. I’ve wondered how everyone has been faring lately. Between the pandemic and electoral turmoil, I’ve been in an unproductive holding pattern lately, just wishing it would all end. A lot of cookies and naps.

Slowly people I know are getting their vaccinations here in Florida, but we (both over 65) are still trying to get appointments without success. But we are pretty healthy with no preexisting conditions besides our age, so have to just be thankful for that, and patient.

Hello everyone - Chris you summed it up perfectly

8 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I’ve been in an unproductive holding pattern lately, just wishing it would all end. A lot of cookies and naps.

Same here - long dark nights, dark at 4, and sitting by the fire all day pretty much.  Lots of comfort food!  But like you we are safe and well and waiting for our turn for the vaccine which looks like maybe April for the DH and for me, maybe the summer.  Will have to see how they get on but it looks like they are getting through the frontline healthcare workers and the over 80s in a timely manner.  Here folk were given the first vaccine jab and then it was to be followed 3 weeks later by the second but that has been changed to around 12 weeks for the second.  From what I have read they want more folk to have the first as it gives protection to more, rather than less folk getting two.  I suppose that makes sense.  Hospitals are very very busy and we are under strict lockdown - only out for essential shopping; so food and basic "essentials" only.  Absolutely no visits to other households except if you are caring for someone eg an elderly parent; all restaurants, majority of hotels (some are open but you can only stay if you are travelling for business so no leisure breaks), bars etc closed - some were offering take aways but now you cannot go and collect your takeaway from the premises but can have a home delivery or if the takeaway place can serve you through a hatch or place the takeaway in your car that's ok, but you cannot go into the premises.   You can go outside for exercise in your area only - not get into a car to go somewhere to go for a walk; and only meet one person from another household outside only.  It is also not allowed (by law) to travel into or out of Scotland unless it is an essential trip.

It is all very hard but when we see the absolutely heartbreaking stories of those who have lost their lives, we just get on with it.  The dogs keep us sane and of course in their world nothing has changed other than no walks out of our area, so no beach for a while.   

Keith - I am so sorry to read about Lucy - sadly yes we all know how that feels.  Our time with them just passes too blooming quickly ........ 

Do you any of you remember when we were heading into the new millennium and we thought the world was going to end when the clock ticked over into 2000?  At the time I was still working in an hotel and we hand wrote all the future reservations into notebooks from the computer (took ages!) as we were being told everything would crash and we would lose the lot!  Oh how if that was all we had to worry about now!  

On a brighter note,  we have put down a deposit for a cruise in 2023!   

Take care everyone and stay safe.  Greetings to all from a snowy Scotland.  

Edited by fairbourne
Spelling

On 1/5/2021 at 1:01 PM, Caribbean Chris said:

Barb, what’s the name of the place where you staying in the Keys? I’ll be interested to hear how you like it. I’ve looked online at a lot of cottage-type places with kitchenettes and thought about booking a Keys getaway later this year.

We drove down to the Keys from NC for several years each winter before moving to Florida, but were always in an RV (which we sold in 2019). It’s around 300 miles now from SW Florida, so just five or six hours....which does beat 20 hours each way!

Fingers crossed that Florida has sunshine & warm weather for you whenever you come. One December we were in Key West on a cruise ship and it was in the 40s.

Chris, 

we are staying at Island Bay Resort.  I read dozens of reviews before I booked.  It has a small private beach.  The biggest cons in the reviews is there is no food service on the property at all.  There is a supermarket about a mile away though.  Halfway between Miami and Key West.  

I cook every day at home, I’ll just cook there as well.  I’d rather cruise, but we will make the best of it.  Today is in the 20’s and 30’s and we have snow and ice, so at least we won’t have that!  Contemplated a few other options, but decided I liked the idea of staying in the US, and if we are unhappy we can just leave.  If we lose a little $ it could be worse!

43 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

Chris, 

we are staying at Island Bay Resort.  I read dozens of reviews before I booked.  It has a small private beach.  The biggest cons in the reviews is there is no food service on the property at all.  There is a supermarket about a mile away though.  Halfway between Miami and Key West.  

I cook every day at home, I’ll just cook there as well.  I’d rather cruise, but we will make the best of it.  Today is in the 20’s and 30’s and we have snow and ice, so at least we won’t have that!  Contemplated a few other options, but decided I liked the idea of staying in the US, and if we are unhappy we can just leave.  If we lose a little $ it could be worse!

I’ll have to take a look. I love the Keys.

I cook all the time, too, so I’m used to that drill like you are, and cooked 90% of the time when we had our RV. There are good restaurants, and grocery stores in the Keys like Winn Dixie, too, with the same prices as Florida north of the Keys. Enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Caribbean Chris said:

I cook all the time, too, so I’m used to that drill like you are, and cooked 90% of the time when we had our RV. There are good restaurants, and grocery stores in the Keys like Winn Dixie, too, with the same prices as Florida north of the Keys. Enjoy your trip!

Thanks!  I think the supermarket a mile away is a Winn Dixie.  

I've got a small box of stuff we'll take along, since you never know what you'll find in a furnished rental.  I'll take a good knife, an electric skillet, a few things like that.  The plusses to driving.  Even if it is a very long drive.  🙂  

I know there are restaurants a short drive away, but that sounds like more work!  Get cleaned up, drive to wherever, eat, drive back..... Probably easier to cook!  Plus, COVID.  I've not been in a restaurant in months!  Done take out, but not eat in.  Since it is quite possible no vaccine before we leave (Missouri is still trying to get all the 1A and 1B.1 people vaccinated) it may be a while.  

Checking in.  Hope everyone is doing good.  Yes, tired of this COVID stuff, but with my breaks this summer and now relearning to walk, it has been perfect timing for me.  I don't feel like I am missing out on anything, going out, restaurants, being social; I can just concentrate on my rehab, walking, etc.

I plateaud for a week or so, but now I seem to be able to do a little more each day.  I have even been able to clean the kitchen counters and do laundry.  I know I am weird, but I love cleaning and was feeling worthless not being able to.  Before the fall, I had a housecleaning for the dusting, floors and bathrooms, the things I couldn't even do then.  I am close to being back to that is all I need them for.

I just booked and put a deposit down for a cruise in September, 2021.  I wasn't going to until the cruising got started back up, but friends were booking it and there was a great promotion going on so I just went for it.  And a girlfriend and I are planning on taking a roadtrip from Tampa to Key West in October.  At least I have some things to look forward to.

Halo and the puppy (Bolin, now 5 months) have become great playmates.  I love watching them play and it is really helping my days go by.  But when my husband and I take Halo to Florida for the winters, I suspect Bolin and Halo will have a hard time.  My daughter is seeing about getting Bolin into a doggy daycare 2-3 times a week, that should help some.  And Halo gets to spend most his day outside with my husband in Florida.

Linda and Halo

Sounds like some of you have plans in the works.  That must be a good feeling. Hubby is  getting the moving bug again!  He is liking the idea of Florida.  I have never been there and he has only cruised out of Miami, once.  We are thinking more on the gulf side, Tampa area.  Then he also is looking at Texas.  Not sure where there, just close to the coastline.  He wants a 55+ place, but he wants a restaurant on site so it is close by.  Hard to find the ones with including the restaurant, because Google of course picks up on the 55+ and throws a gazillion ones at us. We were  thinking maybe a highrise, but would definitely need a balcony so pup can go potty without have to harness her up every time to go out. Lots of variables to throw in there.  Hours slip away quickly when searching on the computer.  

Hope all is well with everyone and the pups are doing good.  

Hi All, Just checking in. Hope everyone is well. 

Keith, so sorry to hear about Lucy. We've all been there and know how hard it can be. 

We got lucky here at our apt building. CVS came in and gave us all shots. It was a mad rush for the manager of the building because they only gave us 2 days notice. Everyone had to be signed up over the weekend and they came in on the 11th for the first shot. Next Monday the 1st, we will get the second one. It's nice to be able to relax a little about this virus. Still stuck in the house and still having everything delivered. 

I hope Oakland remembers his commands since he's really done nothing for a year. 

We would be on our cruise right now so it's hard to be stuck in the house. Now we have a whole year to wait. 😢

Cindy

• Like 2

Cindy,

That is great that CVS did that.  We are in a no information zone.  Even though Keith is only 70, he has the underlying conditions that should make him eligible to get the shot now.  I have know idea how we are suppose to prove he has the underlying conditions.  He is going to call his Pulmonologist and see if they can tell him.  I am guessing he would need a letter from her?  Then we are running short on shots in our rural area.  Our county is 13,461 square miles and the 5th largest in the United States, so we can be pretty spread out.  

I am glad some of you guys have cruises booked.  Hopefully this will all be behind us and you will be able to go.  

On 1/21/2021 at 6:18 AM, S.S. Cruisers said:

Sounds like some of you have plans in the works.  That must be a good feeling. Hubby is  getting the moving bug again!  He is liking the idea of Florida.  I have never been there and he has only cruised out of Miami, once.  We are thinking more on the gulf side, Tampa area.  Then he also is looking at Texas.  Not sure where there, just close to the coastline.  He wants a 55+ place, but he wants a restaurant on site so it is close by.  Hard to find the ones with including the restaurant, because Google of course picks up on the 55+ and throws a gazillion ones at us. We were  thinking maybe a highrise, but would definitely need a balcony so pup can go potty without have to harness her up every time to go out. Lots of variables to throw in there.  Hours slip away quickly when searching on the computer.  

Hope all is well with everyone and the pups are doing good.  

I have a home 1 hour north of Tampa, on the gulf side.  I love it there.  I would never be on the eastern coast - too crowded, beaches not as nice.  

We also have a home in Idaho.  We winter in Florida.  But not this year because of COVID and my knee and ankle break and recovery.

Linda and Halo

• Like 1

Thanks Linda.  It's nice to get feed back on something that you have thought about and find out your gut feeling was right.  Where is your home at in Florida.  I kind of got caught in a trail, but it was leading south of Tampa.  I will look to see what is north.  He is looking for a nice 55+ that has activities, a restaurant on site or close by, where we could drive a golf cart to.  Nothing special, just a nice relaxing place.  ❤️ 

1 hour ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Thanks Linda.  It's nice to get feed back on something that you have thought about and find out your gut feeling was right.  Where is your home at in Florida.  I kind of got caught in a trail, but it was leading south of Tampa.  I will look to see what is north.  He is looking for a nice 55+ that has activities, a restaurant on site or close by, where we could drive a golf cart to.  Nothing special, just a nice relaxing place.  ❤️ 

We are in Homosassa.  10 minutes from Crystal River, where the manatees winter.  Ton of stuff in that area, trails, some beaches - not as nice as south of Tampa, but a whole lot cheaper to live and better than no beach, plus still nice ones, kayaking like crazy, wild life parks, lots of golfing, just the tip of the ice burg.

A little bit east of the gulf coast is winter haven.  It might have what you are looking for.  There is Sugar Mill Woods in Homosassa.  It is not 55+ but has a golf course.  Is deed restrictive.  A 55+, much smaller lots, I think they are all mobile homes, mostly double wides; Walden Woods in Homossassa, might be Weeki Watchi.   There are a lot of 55+.   I think most are deed restrictive and we won't live in those, my husband is into classic cars and has a large shop.  He currently has 37 Packard, 65 Olds Cutlass convertible, 61 T-Bird, 56 Flury and others, I can't keep track of all.

Our friends live in Brooksville in a very nice community.  I think it is called Highlands.  Has a golf course, I think it is 55+.  If it was just me, no husband, I would live there.  The Highlands does not have a restaurant on site, but a lot very close by.

Tampa and south is very expensive.  I bought a 4 bedroom, 2 bath house on 2.5 acres, fully furnished for 85k 3 years ago.  Unheard of even 30 minutes south.  

Thanks Linda, I will look those up.  We do not golf, but I suppose if we want a restaurant on site and be able to drive golf cart around, golf course will probably be attached to it! LOL.  Just looked up deed restrictive, yeah, not where we would want to live either.  I'm not keen on a mobile home, we had one for many years that was tough to sell because of the lot fee.  It wasn't high, just that it could be raised at any time and you didn't have much control over it. We are just looking for a home base so that if we do get a motorhome we would have somewhere to come back too.  And of course if cruising is ever safe again, then that would be a nice stop off point.  

56 minutes ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

Thanks Linda, I will look those up.  We do not golf, but I suppose if we want a restaurant on site and be able to drive golf cart around, golf course will probably be attached to it! LOL.  Just looked up deed restrictive, yeah, not where we would want to live either.  I'm not keen on a mobile home, we had one for many years that was tough to sell because of the lot fee.  It wasn't high, just that it could be raised at any time and you didn't have much control over it. We are just looking for a home base so that if we do get a motorhome we would have somewhere to come back too.  And of course if cruising is ever safe again, then that would be a nice stop off point.  

Florida has a ton of mobile homes.  I know what you are saying about reselling because of the lot.  I don't think that is much of the case in Florida.  You might research that also.

Mine is a mobile home.  I always swore I wouldn't own one, but it was really well done and it on its own lot.  Most of the people I know in Florida are in mobile homes unless Tampa and south, but those are really pricey places.

Linda and Halo

I actually love mobile homes. You get so much more for the money.  It's the lot or property it sits on.  We've owned 2.  The first one was on 4 acres.  It was by far one of my favorite houses we ever lived in.  I will have to research mobiles on their own lots.  I know they exist.  If I could it would be by the ocean.  I guess that is why we love cruising so much.  When we first started cruising, we always got a cabin on the fan tail.  It seemed no one else wanted to be "back"  there!  Now all of a sudden everyone wants rear cabins.  I love to watch the wake  from the ship.  

On 1/28/2021 at 8:28 AM, S.S. Cruisers said:

I actually love mobile homes. You get so much more for the money.  It's the lot or property it sits on.  We've owned 2.  The first one was on 4 acres.  It was by far one of my favorite houses we ever lived in.  I will have to research mobiles on their own lots.  I know they exist.  If I could it would be by the ocean.  I guess that is why we love cruising so much.  When we first started cruising, we always got a cabin on the fan tail.  It seemed no one else wanted to be "back"  there!  Now all of a sudden everyone wants rear cabins.  I love to watch the wake  from the ship.  

My favorite cabin is on the lido deck, front.  Not all the ships have this cabin, but it is listed as an inside cabin by has a large window that looks out onto a secret deck.  I cruise Carnival, so this is on Carnival.

If I cruise with Halo, I get a balcony and have his box put on the balcony.  Since my husband doesn't like cruising, Halo stays with him and I take my service person, my daughter.  Occasionally,  my husband will agree to go on a cruise with me and then Halo comes.

Linda and Halo

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2021 at 8:01 PM, Caribbean Chris said:

Thought I'd update you!  Island Bay Resort is decent although I'm not positive I'd bring my dog here.  We chose not to bring Scooter.

We booked cabin #10, which is the ADA accessible one.  Plenty of grab bars in the bathroom.  The bed is a king.  It is all one room, but kind of separated.  The larger (and moe expensive) rooms have larger refrigerators, maybe 8 -9 cubic feet or so.  Not full apartment sized, but big enough for a few days.  The smaller rooms have a 3 cubic foot refrigerator.  They have 2 burner stove tops.  I am glad I brought along a few things, but if I had not, we would have made do.  A number of restaurants in the area, many with outside seating.  

We picked a good time to be gone.  Home is COLD but we are in the sun.