Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

47 minutes ago, Algebralovr said:

Thought I'd update you!  Island Bay Resort is decent although I'm not positive I'd bring my dog here.  We chose not to bring Scooter.

We booked cabin #10, which is the ADA accessible one.  Plenty of grab bars in the bathroom.  The bed is a king.  It is all one room, but kind of separated.  The larger (and moe expensive) rooms have larger refrigerators, maybe 8 -9 cubic feet or so.  Not full apartment sized, but big enough for a few days.  The smaller rooms have a 3 cubic foot refrigerator.  They have 2 burner stove tops.  I am glad I brought along a few things, but if I had not, we would have made do.  A number of restaurants in the area, many with outside seating.  

We picked a good time to be gone.  Home is COLD but we are in the sun.  

Thanks for the input about Island Bay Resort, Barb. You picked a great time to leave the freezing weather and Florida has warmed up after a cold spell. My orchids are starting to bloom, and I’ve started working on a magazine article after a long spell being unproductive by choice since Thanksgiving.  I’m feeling encouraged since I was able to get appointments for Covid shots and had the first one about ten days ago. My husband as well. So perhaps we’ll be able to go somewhere for our anniversary in April.

Enjoy your vacation!

• Like 1

On 2/13/2021 at 3:29 PM, Caribbean Chris said:

Thanks for the input about Island Bay Resort, Barb. You picked a great time to leave the freezing weather and Florida has warmed up after a cold spell. My orchids are starting to bloom, and I’ve started working on a magazine article after a long spell being unproductive by choice since Thanksgiving.  I’m feeling encouraged since I was able to get appointments for Covid shots and had the first one about ten days ago. My husband as well. So perhaps we’ll be able to go somewhere for our anniversary in April.

Enjoy your vacation!

We are safely at home.  The original plan was to leave on Monday, 2/15 for Missouri.  I needed to be back at work today, 2/18.  

Well, we looked at the way the snow and ice was slaming everyone on Sunday, and expected into Monday, and that there was another round due on Wednesday and (at the time) Thursdasy and Friday.

We left after lunch on Sunday and drove as far as Gainsville.  Probably could have gotten a little further, but it was a good time for us to stop.  Not too late, and we had been up since about 5am.

We got up and going on Monday.  Now normally we would have taken I-75 to Atlanta, gone through Chattanooga and Nashville, then on to STL and home.  We were a bit nervous about going through Atlanta, since even a dusting shuts it all down, and the mountains around Chattanooga can be dangerous with lots of trucks.  So, we decided to cut the hypotenuse and go over a couple of US Highways (instead of interstates) from I-75 to Montgomery, AL, then up I-65 to Birmingham and the along I-22 to Memphis and up I-55. 

Seemed good early Monday morning. 

As the day went on, and I watched the roads and weather, we realized that Memphis was getting SLAMMED by snow and Ice.  They had power outages, lines down, and way more snow than they knew what to do with.  I-22 was closed at Tupelo, MS for a while, due to snow.  So, we kept going north on I-65 to Nashville.  Got into TN, far enough north of Decatur/Huntsville AL not to turn around, and the roads started getting a bit worse.  

Of course, at that point, there is no where to pull off to.  We had planned to stay by the airport in Nashville where we typically stay (we like the Doubletree Suites there), and we realized we could not get there.  I found a Hampton in Franklin, TN, and booked into it.  At that time, it was about 30 miles north of where we were.  I wish I had noticed the one in Columbia, TN, as it was closer, but it was only about 10 - 15 miles north to Franklin.  

It took us 90 minutes of creeping along on crap roads to get the last 30 or so miles.  We watched a number of cars slide off the road.  Mostly people who didn't want to just creep along at 30-35 or so.  One driver was trying to do 65 or so and hit ice, so slid across both lanes and into the ditch.  A number of trucks were getting stuck, and struggling to get up the hills.  Keep in mind, these are low mountains.  

We finally got off the interstate after being on the road about 13 hours.  No food service was open, but we had a cooler and sandwhiches.  

We slept in, and watched the local news to see how the interstates looked.  By 9am or so, they were clearing up.  We were in the car about 10am and back on the interstate.  The worst part was actually getting TO the interstate, since no one in Nashville area seems to have a way to remove snow.  They just are not used to it.  Where I am, there are plenty of folks with a truck and plow blade to do the parking lots.  I advised the manager of the hotel that they should find someone with a Bobcat to come move the snow away  🙂  The Bobcats and little Koboda tractors will do a great job!

Once on the interstate, it wasn't horrible.  A few spots, and we did 45 for a lot of it, but eventually got up to 65 or so.  In KY, just north of Fort Campbell, we ran into a few stoppages and accidents.  Got stuck inching along at one point for about 90 minutes.  

We finally got home about about 10 hours, for what is usually a 6.5 hour trip.  

But, we made it home in the hole between storms, and that meant we  had sufficient meds.  That was actually what drove us to get home, I didn't have enough meds to get through to the weekend.  

Hubby said that from now on, take a full extra week.  

Meanwhile, we have power and water and natural gas and I'm back at work.  

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Algebralovr said:

But, we made it home in the hole between storms, and that meant we  had sufficient meds.  That was actually what drove us to get home, I didn't have enough meds to get through to the weekend.  

Hubby said that from now on, take a full extra week.  

Meanwhile, we have power and water and natural gas and I'm back at work.  

That sounds harrowing! I'm glad that you made it home safely. Since the incident with the Carnival ship stuck in the gulf, I always take extra medications and other essentials whenever we travel.

On 2/18/2021 at 7:21 PM, DUTRAVEL said:

That sounds harrowing! I'm glad that you made it home safely. Since the incident with the Carnival ship stuck in the gulf, I always take extra medications and other essentials whenever we travel.

Makes sense.  The last few years, I've always seemed to have tests that needed to be run and needed me to wean OFF meds while on vacation (allergy meds mostly).  I'm now on meds that I absolutely need to stay on.  New experience.  I had a couple of extra days, but not a full week.  Now I know!  

Same with Scooter.  He started having seizzures.  They are well managed, he just needs a pill in the am and in the pm, but we need to make sure he stays on those pills.  If he were a program dog, they would have converted him to pet only, but since it is mine, I get to keep him working as long as he can. He is HAPPY working.  I had taken a couple of extra days of his meds, but not a full week.  From now on, we will have a full week of his meds as well.  

Just checking in. Nothing much going on compared to what Barb went through. We got our 2nd vaccine and I was sick for 4 days. John was fine. At that same time, I was trying to change meds which just added to the horrible experience. Stopped those meds and feel good now.

Still not doing anything. Actually went grocery shopping the other day. 1st time really shopping since Covid. It was nice to look around and pick up what I wanted. 

Just booked a cruise with the kids for 2022. It's the week before our cruise in February. It will be the babys 1st cruise. Starting her young. 

Because of weather, we haven't seen her since January. Hopefully next weekend. She is totally obsessed with Forrest now. 

IMG_20210224_115211.jpg

IMG_20210223_112347.jpg

• Like 3

Cindy,

OMG, she is just gorgeous!  And the pupper, those 2 should be on a magazine cover.  What fun taking IIsla on her first cruise.  Sounds like so much fun.  

We can't get an appointment to save our butts.  So, now we might as well wait for J & J.  Although it won't be any easier to get an appointment.  I hear what you are saying about getting to go to the store so you can look around.  I make a list, but sometimes I forget and its nice to see something and go, oh we need that too. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, we are finally scheduled for our shots.  Wanted to wait for the Johnson and Johnson, but now they say the state is delaying it.  Kind of funny that Phoenix has the shot and been giving them to folks.  But it is what it is, I will take the mederna.  Hubby who is high risk, still wants to wait for J & J, but may change his mind before we get the shot.  The first isn't scheduled until April 15.  

I have been hearing cruise commercials so maybe things will get back to "normal" after all.  I think we all need to feel the ocean breeze flowing and the calmness it brings.  

Hope everyone has a great week coming up.  Hope all are doing well, furkids and all.  

9 hours ago, S.S. Cruisers said:

So, we are finally scheduled for our shots.  

Yay!

I’m officially 2 weeks past my 2nd now.  Hubby gets his second in about 2 weeks.  My rheumatologist got me in for mine earlier than my age would have otherwise suggested, and then mandated that Hubs get his.

#1 is easy.  #2 kicked my butt for a couple of days.  It also kicked my 25 year old son’s butt for about 2 days.  Bad enough his 1st Sarge looked at him and said “Sir, go home.  You aren’t doing us any good here.”  That was a Friday after he had gotten the jab on Thursday afternoon and sucked it up through 6am PT on Friday morning.  The 1 st Sarge got his 2nd at the same time will nothing but a sore arm.  My DD didn’t have any issue with her 2nd one.  Seems to be really hit and miss.  

Meanwhile, on the topic of our SDs, boy is Scooter out of practice.  We went to Menards for a few things this afternoon and he wanted to pull the whole time.  We did lots of doodling in the store to get him to focus.  We’ve not got ANYWHERE where he needed to be on duty like that on a while.  All my groceries are curbside pickup, and I’ve not been taking him to the Dr with me.  
Shows we need to make a few more trips out to practice!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Just checking in.  Hope all are well.  Our little Jezzy Lou has been diagnosed with Cushings Disease.  So far it is mild, no meds needed and it hasn't slowed her down.  Since we got our yard finished she is loving being outside.  She still won't stay out alone, which is fine by us, we still don't trust that coyote's won't get in the yard.  Our back fence is 5' tall, but on the other side is an easement and the dirt come up a ways higher to the fence line making it only about 4' on the other side.  Hope that makes sense.  The neighbors nextdoor have a block wall but the dirt is up higher on their back side too.  It would be easy for an animal to jump up there and just land in our yard.  People have said they have sited a Bobcat roaming around our city, but I'm not convinced.  They have seen it on their Ring doorbell going through the yard.  Like others have said, it looks like a large house cat rather than a Bobcat.  Really don't want to test it out.  So I digress about animals getting in our yard.  Anyway, we have 3 sliding glass doors in our house that lead to side yard and back yard.  Jezzy picks which door we go out.  Talk about spoiled!  She runs from one end to other, hair blowing in the wind and I swear a smile on her face!  

I hope everyone is enjoying the weather.  Ours has been mild except for the wind!  The wind can go away any time now.  Other than that it has been pleasant.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, our appointment for vaccine is today.  Hubby wanted to hold out for J & J, but in light of the latest info, he may go ahead and get the Mederna.  He is on medication to prevent blood clots, but I wouldn't trust that to definitely rule out getting a blood clot. He has been on it for years from his surgery.   I figure at our age, what difference does it make.  That may sound crass but I will take my chances of side-effects and not getting Covid. I am bummed that the vaccine is only good for approximately 6 months.  

Missing you Roz.  I need to "talk" to you.  Nothing important just our ole silly conversations we use to get into. 🥰💖🛳️

• Like 1

So, we went in for our vaccine and the Nurse told us that they did not have the J & J, that they were approved to administer it, but had never received any of the vaccine anyway.  Not just because they put a hold on it.  Interesting.  We read an article in the newspaper a couple of weeks ago that our county was going to do a one time vaccine event.  They said they had 200 or 250 (can't remember how many) of the J & J available.  We were told we needed to make appointments, but they didn't list the information on how to do that.  Hubby went onto the County Health Dept. site and signed up (A long process) and when he got to the end to make an appointment it said "No appointments available".  So I guess our County only got the 200 or so vaccines, wasn't sure how to divide that up for the whole county at the approved vaccine sites and decided to do the clinic.  

So, Hubby went ahead and got the Mederma (just looked this up on how to spell it correctly and found out it is an "M" instead of "N" like I thought).  Second shot scheduled for mid May.  No reactions except sore arms.  Wheww, I can breathe a sigh of relief around here, now that we are least on the track to all be vaccinated.  Travis is pretty excited because he can get a job.  He is on a good track for finishing school. Life is moving on.  

• 4 weeks later...

Good morning!

Can you all believe it is MAY?  

My family has been fully vaccinated for some time, and we are starting to get back to "normal".  Did a short driving trip a couple of weeks ago for the weekend.  Left Scooter at home, since we had 4 adults in the car and were doing about 1500 miles over 4 days, and we were climbing through the USS Alabama (BB-60) as part of it.  I knew that Scooter would not be able to do the "stairs" in the Alabama, and if I was having a good day, I'd be able to do them.  

Well, I had a good day on the Friday we did the Alabama.  Couldn't walk the NEXT day, but I had a good day that Friday.  So, I enjoyed crawling all over the battleship.  What a difference compared to the technology of the ships today!  We compared that ship with what we had seen on the USS Midway a few years ago, and compared to what we see on the cruise ships of today.  Wow.

Last weekend, I got a new-to-me sewing machine from a place about 2 hours from me.  Scooter did VERY well on that outing.  The owner of the shop said he was better behaved that many children.  That is what we want!  Then we did Sam's Club and again Scooter did well.  

After over a year of barely any public access work wit Scooter, I was thrilled with how he behaved.  Right back to work!  You can tell that he mostly enjoys working.

We have a cruise with the "kids" scheduled for November.  I'm thrilled to see that it is looking more and more like it will be a  "go".  

Hope you all are well!

• 2 weeks later...

Barb, 

We are all vacinated too.  Travis has graduated from high school.  Has a part time job, until we can get enough practice in for him to get his license. First part of their test is to do a 3- point turn.   I had been having him practice in the street (out in the boonies, no traffic).  Found out MVD has a grid set up behind their building.  Only one number on the lanes and it is a number 2.  I went in today with my primitive picture and said, show me the right way to do this turn.  They have to pass making the turn without hitting any cones before they will even take them out on the street for the remainder of the test.  

I am glad you guys  have a cruise booked.  I hope it is a go.  Sounds like it should be. Travis is the only one that had noticeable side effects from the second shot.  He had a really bad headache and said his whole body ached.  Gave him Tylenol and he slept for quite awhile.  Later that evening he said he still had the headache.  So I gave him more Tylenol. The next morning he was fine.  That is the day Hubby and I had our second shot.  When we got home, we took Tylenol as a precaution.  Neither one of us got sick or anything other than the sore arm.  I hope this is a sign that things are turning around.  We are still being cautious, wearing masks out. Washing hands a billion times a day.  Don't think hubby would cruise if the opportunity arose, but I am glad it is slowly started around that bend.  

Hope everyone else and the furkids are all doing well. ❤️ 

Hi everyone! 

It has been so long. My family and I have a cruise planned for April 2022. We are hoping this one happens! We've all been vaccinated already and we are ready!!

Are we allowed to ask for product suggestions here? If so, does anyone have any summer dog booties they recommend? I want to get Mila used to them before next year.

18 hours ago, Mabbiez said:

Hi everyone! 

It has been so long. My family and I have a cruise planned for April 2022. We are hoping this one happens! We've all been vaccinated already and we are ready!!

Are we allowed to ask for product suggestions here? If so, does anyone have any summer dog booties they recommend? I want to get Mila used to them before next year.

I tried two brands I got off of Amazon. One had a thicker rubber soul but was too heavy on her feet. The other had long Velcro straps that worked ok but would stick to each other and were a bear to put on. However I will not travel without them. Especially in Costa Rica the sidewalks were so hot. I take my shoe off and if I can’t stand the heat for 30 seconds her shoes go  on. I got lots of pointing and laughs but I noticed a lot of locals were giving me a thumbs up. The shoes were pink and I’m not a pink fan but they also kept the tons of glass shards from cutting her. It was years ago so I don’t know the brands but just look on Amazon and try a few kinds. 

On 5/29/2021 at 5:02 PM, Mabbiez said:

The Ruffwear boots are good.  They have a Vibram sole, and you buy them in sets of 2, so that you can get two different sizes for the front and rear paws.  If your dog has dew claws, make sure to get the socks as well.    They are pricy little boots, but good.  A couple of different colors, as well.  

In winter, we often wear the latex balloon style, but in the heat I'd use the Ruffwear ones.  

Hello all, Hopefully someone can help me.... we will be traveling with my hubs and daughters service dogs in December on Royal caribbean to coco caye (Royals private island), st Marteen, and st Thomas. I just got the info on documents that’s needed to travel with them and I have no idea if we really need them if we only plan to get off at coco caye. We’ve been to Jamaica on Royal never got off and didn’t need the info, and we’ve been to RC’s private island Labadee and got off without a problem. Has anyone traveled with service dogs to those three locations?? Any info would be great thank you

Note: I did call And no one can give me accurate answers 😑😞

20 hours ago, BelizeanArmyWife said:

Hello all, Hopefully someone can help me.... we will be traveling with my hubs and daughters service dogs in December on Royal caribbean to coco caye (Royals private island), st Marteen, and st Thomas. I just got the info on documents that’s needed to travel with them and I have no idea if we really need them if we only plan to get off at coco caye. We’ve been to Jamaica on Royal never got off and didn’t need the info, and we’ve been to RC’s private island Labadee and got off without a problem. Has anyone traveled with service dogs to those three locations?? Any info would be great thank you

Note: I did call And no one can give me accurate answers 😑😞

Hi!  For St. Thomas, it is part of the USA.  I don't recall if they have any specific rules, but they may.  
You'll want to go to https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel for the rules you need to follow, and check each place.  You'll need to have the permit for each place you'll be calling, even if you dont plan to get off the ship.  In order to board the ship, you'll need to have the documents for each port of call at check in.  

• Like 1