Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Barb is right - you need to start by checking out the APHIS Pet Travel country rules for Bahamas (Coco Caye), St Maarten, and St. Thomas (this last one is found under "traveling state to state" as Virgin Islands. Service dogs aren't pets but they still have to meet the same regulations for import to another country. Cruise lines rarely know anything about this topic when you call them.

All you have needed for St. Thomas in the past was a basic Form 7001 health certificate signed by the vet which you need anyway for any cruise. The cruise line will expect you to produce this at check-in with the rabies certificate.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/library/forms/pdf/APHIS7001.pdf

Everything may have changed post-Covid, so there's no way to predict what we will all encounter. If your vet is not a USDA-accredited vet, you may want to find one where you live who may be familiar with the paper work. 

Many of us have taken our dogs to the Bahamas in the past, and it required your filling out a form (see APHIS to print a copy)  to fax (you can fill out the form yourself without involving the vet yet), then awaiting a reply and a permit to bring the dog in, including a final visit to your vet within a 48 before departure to have the vet sign another form. Note that in the past, Bahamas waived the fee of $10 for service dogs, so you need to include a note or letter saying that is the case, and a return fax number. Here was info someone posted a while back:

"I faxed the import form with a cover letter to the Director of Agriculture to 1-242-325-3960 and emailed it to Deandra Delancey at deandradelancy@bahamas.gov.bs.  Then I followed up with her about a week later at 1-242-397-7450.  She is extremely nice.  She is the top veterinarian there."

I know Coco Caye is a private island, but people on this thread were told by a cruise line a few years ago that The Bahamas required the cruise companies to be sure the passenger had the permit, even for private islands, even if you weren't getting off with the dog, so cruise lines started looking for it at check-in. I've obtained it two or three times. There was also a commercial service you can use that will get the permit for a fee. I don't know if anybody here has used him or not. I'm considering doing it next time I go in November.

https://www.bahamaspetpermit.com/

As far as St. Maarten, their rules changed and required that the health certificate not only be signed by a USDA accredited vet, but also sent or taken to a regional USDA APHIS vet (federal official) to countersign (sort of a hassle and at your expense, of course, if you have to send it by overnight mail). So the last time we went to St. Maarten, I didn't bother getting the permit figuring we wouldn't get off the ship. Funny surprise - the ship staff called the day before arrival at the island and said we were approved to take the dog off. So I guess the port officials were satisfied with the general Form 7001 without their special form. Their rules:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/pet-travel/health-certificates/non-eu/st-maarten-dog-cat-ferret.pdf

Let us know how it all works out!

• Like 2

Just a heads up that beginning July 14, 2021, there is a temporary suspension for dogs imported from countries that the CDC considers high risk for dog rabiesThese rules apply to all dogs, including puppies, service animals, and emotional support dogs. These rules also apply whether you are (1) just visiting the United States with your dog, (2) importing dogs into the United States, or (3) traveling out of the United States and returning with your dog after a temporary visit, such as a vacation or holiday, or for shopping or visiting friends and relatives. See links for a list of the applicable countries.

Dogs from high-risk countries may be imported only with CDC’s advance written approval (CDC Dog Import Permit), including dogs imported from a country NOT at high risk if the dogs have been in a high-risk country during the previous 6 months. To request advance written approval, you must follow the instructions at How to Apply for a CDC Dog Import Permit and send an email to CDC at CDCanimalimports@cdc.gov, at least 30 business days (6 weeks) before you intend to enter the United States. Requests cannot be made at the port of entry upon arrival into the United States. Dogs that arrive from high-risk countries without advance written approval from CDC will be denied entry and returned to the country of departure at the importer’s expense.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Just a heads up that beginning July 14, 2021, there is a temporary suspension for dogs imported from countries that the CDC considers high risk for dog rabiesThese rules apply to all dogs, including puppies, service animals, and emotional support dogs. These rules also apply whether you are (1) just visiting the United States with your dog, (2) importing dogs into the United States, or (3) traveling out of the United States and returning with your dog after a temporary visit, such as a vacation or holiday, or for shopping or visiting friends and relatives. See links for a list of the applicable countries.

Dogs from high-risk countries may be imported only with CDC’s advance written approval (CDC Dog Import Permit), including dogs imported from a country NOT at high risk if the dogs have been in a high-risk country during the previous 6 months. To request advance written approval, you must follow the instructions at How to Apply for a CDC Dog Import Permit and send an email to CDC at CDCanimalimports@cdc.gov, at least 30 business days (6 weeks) before you intend to enter the United States. Requests cannot be made at the port of entry upon arrival into the United States. Dogs that arrive from high-risk countries without advance written approval from CDC will be denied entry and returned to the country of departure at the importer’s expense.

On 6/9/2021 at 11:40 AM, Caribbean Chris said:

Barb is right - you need to start by checking out the APHIS Pet Travel country rules for Bahamas (Coco Caye), St Maarten, and St. Thomas (this last one is found under "traveling state to state" as Virgin Islands. Service dogs aren't pets but they still have to meet the same regulations for import to another country. Cruise lines rarely know anything about this topic when you call them.

All you have needed for St. Thomas in the past was a basic Form 7001 health certificate signed by the vet which you need anyway for any cruise. The cruise line will expect you to produce this at check-in with the rabies certificate.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/library/forms/pdf/APHIS7001.pdf

Everything may have changed post-Covid, so there's no way to predict what we will all encounter. If your vet is not a USDA-accredited vet, you may want to find one where you live who may be familiar with the paper work. 

Many of us have taken our dogs to the Bahamas in the past, and it required your filling out a form (see APHIS to print a copy)  to fax (you can fill out the form yourself without involving the vet yet), then awaiting a reply and a permit to bring the dog in, including a final visit to your vet within a 48 before departure to have the vet sign another form. Note that in the past, Bahamas waived the fee of $10 for service dogs, so you need to include a note or letter saying that is the case, and a return fax number. Here was info someone posted a while back:

"I faxed the import form with a cover letter to the Director of Agriculture to 1-242-325-3960 and emailed it to Deandra Delancey at deandradelancy@bahamas.gov.bs.  Then I followed up with her about a week later at 1-242-397-7450.  She is extremely nice.  She is the top veterinarian there."

I know Coco Caye is a private island, but people on this thread were told by a cruise line a few years ago that The Bahamas required the cruise companies to be sure the passenger had the permit, even for private islands, even if you weren't getting off with the dog, so cruise lines started looking for it at check-in. I've obtained it two or three times. There was also a commercial service you can use that will get the permit for a fee. I don't know if anybody here has used him or not. I'm considering doing it next time I go in November.

https://www.bahamaspetpermit.com/

As far as St. Maarten, their rules changed and required that the health certificate not only be signed by a USDA accredited vet, but also sent or taken to a regional USDA APHIS vet (federal official) to countersign (sort of a hassle and at your expense, of course, if you have to send it by overnight mail). So the last time we went to St. Maarten, I didn't bother getting the permit figuring we wouldn't get off the ship. Funny surprise - the ship staff called the day before arrival at the island and said we were approved to take the dog off. So I guess the port officials were satisfied with the general Form 7001 without their special form. Their rules:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/pet-travel/health-certificates/non-eu/st-maarten-dog-cat-ferret.pdf

Let us know how it all works out!

@Caribbean Chris thank you so much for the info. I’ll be getting the permits for Bahamas and St Thomas but for St Marteen we Aren’t getting off. 

@DUTRAVEL I had no idea about this. Thank you so much I’ll be looking into it. I have a lot of homework to do 

23 hours ago, DUTRAVEL said:

Thanks for posting Diane! It’s always something. We have the Dominican Republic on an itinerary next April, so I’ll tell the ship we will not take the dog ashore there.

When we were cruising before the shut down, I had to get certain forms filled out for two different ports.  One needed it if we were getting off but the other one said, even if we were staying on the ship we needed the forms. Then they said, if you don't have the forms, no one can get off as they won't clear the ship.  I don't know if it was just hot air or if it was true but HAL really wanted us to get the forms and pay the fees so it was easier to do what they asked. 

On 6/15/2021 at 3:48 PM, DUTRAVEL said:

That is scary looking.  We booked a Panama Canal cruise for Dec 2022.  I'll need to keep an eye on this site, as we have a number of stops in these countries.  I've filled out the paperwork for Princess and been approved to bring Scooter, but if they still have this posting up, we'll have to leave him at home during the cruise.  Luckily, he likes going to the Palace to play on days I'm not very mobile and staying home.  

I bought a "potty box" to try to get Mila used to using it before we cruise. I'm going to get it all set up on my patio tonight. I live in an apartment but I checked with them to make sure they were okay with me having it.

Does anyone have any tips on getting her to use it? We have a pretty set routine. Our routine is when I get home from work I feed her and also eat dinner myself, then we go outside to go potty. I'm hoping she will recognize quickly that it's the same routine but just a new place to potty. (Note: She does not go to work with me because I work in a hospital lab and it would be too dangerous for her.)

Any advice will be appreciated! 

Hello everyone. Our family has been on many cruises but we have 2 booked in October on Carnival that will be very different. Our daughter now has a service dog (mini Goldendoodle named Penny).  So I have been researching like crazy to figure out what we all need to do. I have a couple of questions. One of our cruises has 2 Bahamas stops. Does this mean I need to get 2 separate Bahama permits? Is the best way to get these to submit it myself or pay for a service like Bahamas pet permit?
I am hoping that someone from here is from Canada and can help me out. I see you all talking about the 7001 health form. For us in Canada what do I get my vet to fill out? Is it the Canadian international health certificate? If it needs to be USDA signed, how do I do that in Canada?(specifically Puerto Rico states it must be USDA signed). This is the part that confuses me coming from

Canada but cruising from the US. 
We have started our potty box training. Penny pees on command with no problem in it but we still haven’t been able to convince her to poop in it. Hopefully she will get it yet!

On 6/18/2021 at 7:01 PM, Mabbiez said:

I bought a "potty box" to try to get Mila used to using it before we cruise. I'm going to get it all set up on my patio tonight. I live in an apartment but I checked with them to make sure they were okay with me having it.

Does anyone have any tips on getting her to use it? We have a pretty set routine. Our routine is when I get home from work I feed her and also eat dinner myself, then we go outside to go potty. I'm hoping she will recognize quickly that it's the same routine but just a new place to potty. (Note: She does not go to work with me because I work in a hospital lab and it would be too dangerous for her.)

Following her normal routine will help a lot. Whenever she uses the box, you may want to praise her a lot and maybe give a little treat.

Don’t worry too much if she refuses the box the first time you visit it on the ship. Sooner or later, she’ll probably give in. I have good experience with grass as a filler, and mulch is OK, too. Some cruises, she just hops in without balking, other times needs more persuasion. Go figure.

On 6/22/2021 at 6:52 PM, ndloewen said:

Hello everyone. Our family has been on many cruises but we have 2 booked in October on Carnival that will be very different. Our daughter now has a service dog (mini Goldendoodle named Penny).  So I have been researching like crazy to figure out what we all need to do. I have a couple of questions. One of our cruises has 2 Bahamas stops. Does this mean I need to get 2 separate Bahama permits? Is the best way to get these to submit it myself or pay for a service like Bahamas pet permit?
I am hoping that someone from here is from Canada and can help me out. I see you all talking about the 7001 health form. For us in Canada what do I get my vet to fill out? Is it the Canadian international health certificate? If it needs to be USDA signed, how do I do that in Canada?(specifically Puerto Rico states it must be USDA signed). This is the part that confuses me coming from

Canada but cruising from the US. 
We have started our potty box training. Penny pees on command with no problem in it but we still haven’t been able to convince her to poop in it. Hopefully she will get it yet!

I wish I could offer suggestions from experience, but I’m not Canadian. You may have read the attached which could at least get you started. It appears Canada also has an official veterinarian system, which might be comparable to the USDA APHIS vet credential.  I hope you can locate someone at that agency with answers.https://inspection.canada.ca/animal-health/terrestrial-animals/exports/pets/canadian-international-health-certificate/eng/1321285405995/1321285496577

On 6/18/2021 at 4:01 PM, Mabbiez said:

I cannot be of much help since my service dog was fully trained to go on a leash on almost any surface when I got her. I agree with Chris - lots of praise and treats. When I trained my dog to go in a specific place in our yard,  it didn't take very long. Just be consistent and she will figure it out.

On 6/22/2021 at 3:52 PM, ndloewen said:

One of our cruises has 2 Bahamas stops. Does this mean I need to get 2 separate Bahama permits? Is the best way to get these to submit it myself or pay for a service like Bahamas pet permit?
I am hoping that someone from here is from Canada and can help me out. I see you all talking about the 7001 health form. For us in Canada what do I get my vet to fill out? Is it the Canadian international health certificate? If it needs to be USDA signed, how do I do that in Canada?(specifically Puerto Rico states it must be USDA signed). This is the part that confuses me coming from Canada but cruising from the US. 

I'm not an expert on the Bahamas as I have only been to Nassau. The application for the permit does ask for the “EXPECTED ISLANDS VISITING WHILE IN THE BAHAMAS (for vacation and service animals visiting)” so it may be possible to list more than one on the same permit. You might try calling the number on the permit application and ask (242) 397-7450/325-7438.

I agree with Chris to call the Canadian Food Inspection Agency. It doesn't make sense to me that you would need to have the health form signed by the USDA (or that the USDA would even do that). When I travel to the EU, I get the paperwork signed here in the US even though I am cruising from Rome. It seems to me that a Canadian cruising from a US port would get the paperwork done in Canada. Hopefully the CFIA can answer the question.

Thanks. So I have confirmed that the CFIA in Canada can sign the vet form. Still trying to get an answer on the Bahamas permit. I will try calling them.

Carnival has also informed me that we will have to do the paperwork for Grand Turk which is unfortunate as I thought we wouldn’t need to if we weren’t getting off the ship. However both Carnival and an email to the Grand Turk authorities has confirmed that we need the permit to even board the ship. This seems contrary to what I have read here so I don’t know if this is new. But I guess we will have to do it as I don’t want to risk not being able to board with her dog.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the countries are requiring the permit to board the ship these days.  The reason is that if one of you becomes ill, and you need to be disembarked on an emergency basis, you need the permit for the dog.  

I've got a November cruise booked.  I've decided to leave Scooter here at home.  Booked the kennel yesterday.  Since it will still be fairly early in the full return to sail, I'm just not going to chance dealing with it.  My cruise is scheduled for Grand Cayman and Jamica, along with Cozumel.  None of those are places I really want to deal with the import paperwork, even if I don't plan to go ashore.  

Our transatlantic cruise from Rome to Florida has been recently canceled. It was doubtful if we were going anyway since I didn't want to take the chance of getting stuck in Rome if one of us unexpectedly tested positive for COVID-19 while in Europe. We are switching to a California Coastal since that will keep us within driving distance of home.

Has anyone been to Mexico by air or sea recently? Mexico has changed the import requirements for dogs and you no longer need a health certificate to enter the country. The USDA website states “Upon arrival to Mexico with the pet dog(s) and/or cat(s) in a clean cage(s)/carrier(s), travelers must visit the Mexican Animal and Plant Health Inspection Office (OISA), to contact the official personnel working with SENASICA.” I’m not sure how that will work when arriving on a cruise ship. I guess I will just bring the usual Aphis Form 7001 filled out by my Vet and stay on the ship if it’s an issue.

• Like 1

As most of you know, I do not have a Service Dog and I gotta say, all this paperwork is making my head hurt.  I am sure if I was having to get the paperwork, fill it out, get it certified and signed, etc.  it would probably make more sense to me.  It seems like they are trying to keep your precious babies from rightfully being able to cruise with you. 💖

On 6/16/2021 at 3:05 PM, Caribbean Chris said:

Thanks for posting Diane! It’s always something. We have the Dominican Republic on an itinerary next April, so I’ll tell the ship we will not take the dog ashore there.

I am super confused and concerned about this rabies suspension. I thought I had everything figured out, but this makes me wonder if cruising with our service dog will even be possible this winter?? We also have a Dominican stop. Will we be ok simply not getting off the ship?? I have contacted the CDC agriculture department regarding this but I can’t seem to get a definite answer. The email they sent simply stated that “Dominican Republic is a high risk country.” 
I’m about to throw the towel in on this whole cruising thing. It is causing way too much anxiety!!

18 minutes ago, ndloewen said:

I am super confused and concerned about this rabies suspension. I thought I had everything figured out, but this makes me wonder if cruising with our service dog will even be possible this winter?? We also have a Dominican stop. Will we be ok simply not getting off the ship?? I have contacted the CDC agriculture department regarding this but I can’t seem to get a definite answer. The email they sent simply stated that “Dominican Republic is a high risk country.” 
I’m about to throw the towel in on this whole cruising thing. It is causing way too much anxiety!!

Each of us has to decide individually if it is worth the effort (and expense for things like blood titer testing) to take a cruise with our service dog. I was very anxious on my first few cruises about the paperwork and relief box. It all worked out all right and now I just try to do my best to comply with the regulations.

As far as the new rabies restrictions, I understand the regulation to mean that  that the CDC temporarily will not permit dogs to be imported into the US from the named countries. The answer for me is that I will not export my dog into the country in the first place just for a few hours ashore and create a problem for myself returning to the US. I’ll be sure my vet notes those countries by name on the APHIS form 7001, indicating the dog will not enter those countries, and I’ll advise the ship as well. 

On 7/16/2021 at 3:30 PM, ndloewen said:

I agree that all the rules can be super confusing - but don't let it discourage you from cruising with your service dog. 

The CDC has come out with some more guidance about visiting high risk countries (see https://www.cdc.gov/importation/bringing-an-animal-into-the-united-states/dog-importation-changes.html) and has added 17 more airports as approved points of entry to the list. They haven't yet added any sea ports. Under the new explanation they split the rules up between a transitional period of July 14, 2021 to October 14, 2021 and then after October 14, 2021. They do now specifically state that owners of service dogs that meet the DOT definition (task trained) can apply for a CDC Dog Import Permit during the transitional period (and the way I read it, after October 14, 2021 as well).

That still doesn't specifically address the issue of a cruise with your dog to a high risk country. I would follow Chris' advice and also check with your cruise line to see if they can be of any help. Try e-mailing your closest USDA Aphis office to see if they can give you a definitive answer (they may just refer you back to the CDC, but its worth a try). The USDA Aphis office in San Francisco is always very helpful in answering my questions.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I'm confused a little on the rules in Europe as far as Mila getting off the ship.

Next April we are taking a transatlantic cruise that leaves from the US and ends in Italy. We have stops in Portugal and Spain. 

I plan on getting her European passport but I don't think I will be able to do that until we get to Italy. Will she be able to get off the ship at the other ports with her health certificate at the other ports? If not it will be okay. My dad doesn't like to get off the ship and I think he is kind of looking forward to staying with her if he needs to.

Thanks everyone for all the help! This board it amazing. 

5 hours ago, Mabbiez said:

Hi everyone!

I'm confused a little on the rules in Europe as far as Mila getting off the ship.

Next April we are taking a transatlantic cruise that leaves from the US and ends in Italy. We have stops in Portugal and Spain. 

I plan on getting her European passport but I don't think I will be able to do that until we get to Italy. Will she be able to get off the ship at the other ports with her health certificate at the other ports? If not it will be okay. My dad doesn't like to get off the ship and I think he is kind of looking forward to staying with her if he needs to.

Thanks everyone for all the help! This board it amazing. 

If you have an EU health certificate issued by an accredited USDA Vet and endorsed by the USDA Aphis office in your area that's all you need. You will need a microchip and the requisite rabies vaccination and you must enter the first EU country within 10 days of the date your vet signs the health certificate. As long as you meet those requirements, the EU health certificate is valid for travel to any EU country for four months.

I have taken my service dog to Europe three times and have been able to travel to several countries with just the EU health certificate and proof of rabies.

Here's the link to the requirements for Italy. The requirements are the same for all EU countries except that you will need a tapeworm treatment to enter Ireland, Malta, Finland or Norway.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/by-country/eu/pettravel-italy

• Like 2

On 8/4/2021 at 2:42 PM, DUTRAVEL said:

If you have an EU health certificate issued by an accredited USDA Vet and endorsed by the USDA Aphis office in your area that's all you need. You will need a microchip and the requisite rabies vaccination and you must enter the first EU country within 10 days of the date your vet signs the health certificate. As long as you meet those requirements, the EU health certificate is valid for travel to any EU country for four months.

I have taken my service dog to Europe three times and have been able to travel to several countries with just the EU health certificate and proof of rabies.

Here's the link to the requirements for Italy. The requirements are the same for all EU countries except that you will need a tapeworm treatment to enter Ireland, Malta, Finland or Norway.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/pet-travel/by-country/eu/pettravel-italy

Thank you so much! This has been the most helpful information. I kept trying to look online but I was getting all sorts of confused. I already have her microchipped and of course updated on her vaccines. I will talk to my vet to make sure all of the paperwork is in order and to see if I need to go to someone else who is accredited. 

Hello Everybody!

I haven't posted in a very long time, but I get daily email updates of your activities which make me still feel connected to you all.

For some reason today I am really missing Roz, and her Horton stories. She filled our lives with so much hope, joy, and laughter. So glad that you all have kept this thread going; honoring her memory by continuing to help others cruise with their service dogs.

My daughter's service dog Gibson is now 10 and a half years old, and has cancer in his jaw.  A few months back he had surgery to remove it, which was a bit dicey.  When they were sedating him he started having difficulty as his temperature was going up to 105.  So the vet had to back out and stabilize him, then go at it again later in the day.  He wasn't able to get the whole tumor since it was wrapped around one of his teeth.  So, it has now grown back as we were told it would do.  It looks like a very large marble, about an inch or more in diameter.  Right now he has no trouble eating, and seems to feel pretty good for an old guy with cancer.  (After going outside to do his business he still runs a few circles around the yard before zipping back in the house.)  He is on twice daily pain meds, and does a lot of panting.  My daughter is watching for him to have trouble eating, or any other discomfort that would tell her he is no longer enjoying life.  Another surgery is out of the question.  Our whole family is just going to keep loving him as long as we can.

I hope each of you is having a pleasant weekend filled with loads of fur kid hugs.

Beckie

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Insuregal said:

My daughter's service dog Gibson is now 10 and a half years old, and has cancer in his jaw.  A few months back he had surgery to remove it, which was a bit dicey.  When they were sedating him he started having difficulty as his temperature was going up to 105.  So the vet had to back out and stabilize him, then go at it again later in the day.  He wasn't able to get the whole tumor since it was wrapped around one of his teeth.  So, it has now grown back as we were told it would do.  It looks like a very large marble, about an inch or more in diameter.  Right now he has no trouble eating, and seems to feel pretty good for an old guy with cancer.  (After going outside to do his business he still runs a few circles around the yard before zipping back in the house.)  He is on twice daily pain meds, and does a lot of panting.  My daughter is watching for him to have trouble eating, or any other discomfort that would tell her he is no longer enjoying life.  Another surgery is out of the question.  Our whole family is just going to keep loving him as long as we can.

I hope each of you is having a pleasant weekend filled with loads of fur kid hugs.

Beckie

So so sorry to hear about Gibson. I hope he still has many good days left. I'm sure that your daughter will treasure each day she has with him.