Goldbelt tours in Juneau to Tracy Arm?

cruzingduo

Has anyone had any experience with Goldbelt tours trip to Tracy Arm? The boat leaves at 9 am and returns at 6:30pm. We're on the Radiance and we dock at 8am and leave at 8 pm. We'd love to see Tracy Arm and this is the only independent company we've found who fits into our time schedule.

Thanks.

We're in the same predicament except that we will be aboard the Sapphire Princess. We will dock at 8am. It is risky to make a reservation with a credit card especially if it takes forever to get off the ship. However, we called Goldbelt Tours and explained our problems. They allowed us to make a tentative reservation where if we don't show up at their office or contact them by 8:30, we lose our reservation but we don't get penalized. Apparently, they don't get too much cruiseline business unless you are one of few ships that dock there at 7am or earlier. We will be in Juneau on the 17th.

Wish me luck for if I'm successful, there is good chance that you will be too.:)

It is my understanding, from these boards only, that the former GoldBelt is now owned/operated by Adventure Bound?

I have sailed with Adventure Bound (Steve and Winona Weber).

You are in for a real treat! Tracy Arm is simply fabulous, and of our 3 cruises and one Alaskan RV tour, we have yet to see icebergs comparable to what we saw on this excursion.

Lucky you to have the port time to do this trip!:)

It is my understanding, from these boards only, that the former GoldBelt is now owned/operated by Adventure Bound?

I have sailed with Adventure Bound (Steve and Winona Weber).

You are in for a real treat! Tracy Arm is simply fabulous, and of our 3 cruises and one Alaskan RV tour, we have yet to see icebergs comparable to what we saw on this excursion.

Lucky you to have the port time to do this trip!:)

SYM1966,

I am also interested in this excursion. Besides the glaciers what type of wild life did you see????

A friend spoke to Adventure Bound when he was down in Juneau and they said they were going to run the second boat at 9 am to try to accomodate cruisers. Good move on their part.

It is an excellent excursion and one that I would love to repeat myself!

SYM1966,

I am also interested in this excursion. Besides the glaciers what type of wild life did you see????

We saw whales (humpback), birds, and harbor seals for the most part.

It really shouldn't be considered or expected to be a wildlife tour... any animals are a bonus surprise on this very scenic excursion.

Some of my favorite photos from our excursion, June 2005. Click on any photo to ENLARGE it.

128x128%20shrink24.jpg

AdventureBound's

'little sister'...

next to a Tracy Arm

iceberg.

128x128%20shrink35.jpg

What luck...

whales!

128x128%20shrink32.jpg

South Sawyer

calving.

128x128%20shrink29.jpg

Harbor Seal

N. Sawyer

Glacier.

128x128%20shrink17.jpg

Waterfall... and

a doggone cold

shower (if you

are so inclined!).

An EDIT - Thank you for confirming that Coral, and how wonderful if more ship passengers could take advantage of this spectacular excursion. I think you're one of those who love this area as much as I do!

Thanks for the beautiful pictures! Hope we see the same wildlife.

My concern with this trip is that we arrive in port at 8 am (assuming we're on time). Then we have to get to the office by 8:30. I hope we're able to get off the ship quickly! We don't want to miss Tracy Arm.

An EDIT - Thank you for confirming that Coral, and how wonderful if more ship passengers could take advantage of this spectacular excursion. I think you're one of those who love this area as much as I do!

Yep - my favorite excursion in Alaska! And I didn't even make it to the glaciers (too much ice that day) but we made it much farther then the cruise ships did.

We are booked with them and our receipt says to meet at 7:30 with departure at 8:00. So one trip leaves at 8:00 and one leaves at 9:00?

My guess is that some days, they run 2 tours. If you are interested in the later one, I would call the office and see if the 2nd tour is offered.

I personally would want to be on the one with Steve as Captain. He IS the expert on Tracy Arm!

I just checked the website and it looks like the regular time for their tour is a 8:00. There is no mention of the 9:00 time......just so people know when making plans to check to see if they are running the 9:00 a.m. When I booked about 6 weeks ago, the lady I spoke to suggested paying in full to save time (by not stopping at the booth to make final payment. She also indicated that if the ship arrives late, that our money would be refunded in full. We dock at 7:00 so I'm thinking we should make it in time. Hope it works out for everyone who wants to go! We are really looking forward to this excursion! http://www.adventureboundalaska.com/rates.htm

I just checked the website and it looks like the regular time for their tour is a 8:00. There is no mention of the 9:00 time]

They haven't updated their website in a very long time.

Definitely call. A friend stopped by their office and spoke to them a month or so ago. They indicated they were going to try to do a 2nd tour.

I am glad to see their pricing is still very reasonable. For literally 'hours' on the water, many of those hours in a very scenic canyon area, it is one of the best buys in Juneau, my opinion.

If I recall, the sandwiches they serve onboard are reasonably priced, also. In addition, back when we sailed, they offered muffins and bagels upon boarding, but don't take my word on that. You know how things change...

If you are on the actual Adventure Bound boat, the restrooms are quite 'interesting' to say the least. They are still a topic of conversation around here on occasion.

I agree with Coral, Steve Weber is a fantastic captain for the area, and his wife, along with their deckhand also added much to the trip.

I am ENVIOUS of your upcoming adventure!!!;)

I am glad to see their pricing is still very reasonable. For literally 'hours' on the water, many of those hours in a very scenic canyon area, it is one of the best buys in Juneau, my opinion.

If I recall, the sandwiches they serve onboard are reasonably priced, also. In addition, back when we sailed, they offered muffins and bagels upon boarding, but don't take my word on that. You know how things change...

If you are on the actual Adventure Bound boat, the restrooms are quite 'interesting' to say the least. They are still a topic of conversation around here on occasion.

I agree with Coral, Steve Weber is a fantastic captain for the area, and his wife, along with their deckhand also added much to the trip.

I am ENVIOUS of your upcoming adventure!!!;)

I couldn't agree with you more. The sandwiches were pretty darn good and reasonable and the bathroom.....well, I wish someone had warned me beforehand. It took probably 10 minutes to figure out...

The price is close to a 3 hour whale watching trip.

I believe the Goldbelt Tour and the Adventure Bound tour of Tracy Arm are two separate entities. Since we arrive at 8:00 a.m., I did call Adventure Bound (a while back) and she said they leave at 8 and it wouldn't be possible for us to go with them. I searched around and found the Goldbelt Spirit boat sails at 9 a.m. I called them and made a reservation ( they did not take my credit card)--they gave me walking directions from the ship so I hope we're all set. They said the boat was wide open for reservations so come on all you folks arriving at 8 and sign up! Sounds like it's a great trip.

Yes, I asked about Goldbelt, and Adventure Bound did buy them out. And, she told me that they provide "coffee and a donut" in the morning and that drinks and sandwiches were available for purchase at lunch time.

deadzone1003, we are also there on 9-17 and also arrive at 8 am. I thought we were the only morning ship. Maybe if there's a bunch of us they will wait on the 9 am departure for us! We are on the Radiance. See you onboard.

If Adventure Bound bought Goldbelt, can anyone explain why Goldbelt still has it's own website? It advertises its Tracy Arm Glacier Cruise with a 9 a.m. departure time; I did call the phone number listed and was able to book with them. It's a different number from the Adventure Bound co. I'd go with either company, but I need a 9 a.m. departure as we dock at 8 a.m. I really don't want to miss out on this excursion. Does anyone know anything else about this supposed Goldbelt tour?

If Adventure Bound bought Goldbelt, can anyone explain why Goldbelt still has it's own website? It advertises its Tracy Arm Glacier Cruise with a 9 a.m. departure time; I did call the phone number listed and was able to book with them. It's a different number from the Adventure Bound co. I'd go with either company, but I need a 9 a.m. departure as we dock at 8 a.m. I really don't want to miss out on this excursion. Does anyone know anything else about this supposed Goldbelt tour?

The Goldbelt and Adventure Bound websites have not been updated in a long time.

The Goldbelt phone number is being forwarded to Adventure Bound. If you have questions - call the number and ask them....

As explained earlier - the goal of Adventure Bound was to try to run 2 ships to Tracy Arm, one at 8 and the other at 9 (if possible) to accomodate more cruise ship passengers.

We are on the 7:00 a.m. Carnival Spirit arrival on 15 Aug 2007. We booked the 9:00 a.m. departure at Juneau's Best Tours. Here is a link to the tour and at the bottom it gives both departures. http://www.juneausbestours.com/pages/tracyarm.html

This looks like a great bargain as it lets you spend an entire day in the Alaskan wilds versus a crowded day in Juneau. We opted for this as we are scenery folks. As for lunch, the lady booking the tour said we could bring our own lunch and drinks if we wanted. We are going to order room service on the ship the night before and put our lunch in ziplocks to take with us. What is the toilet secret we need to be aware of that others mentioned or is better experienced than explained???

ah, you might want to have a back-up plan for your lunch and taking it off the ship. most ships have a problem with you taking food off. at least no fruits and veggies. we had our purses and bags searched as we left the ship....big barrel that they dumped any food in.

prepacked crackers or snacks but no open food.

Bathroom - I don't think I could explain it if I tried.

Food - on our sailing, it was full of mostly locals and they all brought their own food. We didn't as we were on a ship. We bought sandwiches onboard and they were quite good. They made fresh hoagie sandwiches (not pre-made) and would put whatever you wanted on it. They were reasonable priced also (equivalant price as a Subway sandwich).

I also thought the price was very reasonable considering it was an all day excursion.

Archived