Locanda Orseolo in Venice

I will be traveling with five others on the May 12, 2008, sailing of the Emerald Princess. I have read several comments regarding Locanda Orseolo in Venice and would love to stay there a few nights before the cruise, however, my 66 year old mother (who has some back and knee issues) is concerned about dragging her luggage around trying to find the hotel. (I think I read in a prior posting that there are porters to help with luggage where the water taxi drops you off). If we decide to stay at Locanda Orseolo we will take the water taxi from the airport.

I would appreciate your wisdom/comments regarding whether we should book the Locanda Orseolo or just stay at the Courtyard Marriott (near the airport). Also, can anyone shed some light on the mode of transport we would use to get from Locanda Orseolo to the cruise ship and approximately how much it costs?

One of the highlights of our trip last year was our one night stay at the Locanda Orseolo. If you are taking a water taxi, then they will drop you off at the entry "window" right into the Locanda. Just tell the wonderful staff about your situation and they will even help you coordinate the water taxi. There are no elevators so you may want to request a room on the second floor (I think there were 4 floors). They do bring your luggage to your room. No other place offers the service that Matteo, Barbara and everyone else at Locanda offer. You will find yourself comparing other hotels you stay at with your stay at the Locanda (the best breakfast too!).

I will be traveling with five others on the May 12' date=' 2008, sailing of the Emerald Princess. I have read several comments regarding Locanda Orseolo in Venice and would love to stay there a few nights before the cruise, however, my 66 year old mother (who has some back and knee issues) is concerned about dragging her luggage around trying to find the hotel. (I think I read in a prior posting that there are porters to help with luggage where the water taxi drops you off). If we decide to stay at Locanda Orseolo we will take the water taxi from the airport.

I would appreciate your wisdom/comments regarding whether we should book the Locanda Orseolo or just stay at the Courtyard Marriott (near the airport). Also, can anyone shed some light on the mode of transport we would use to get from Locanda Orseolo to the cruise ship and approximately how much it costs?[/quote']

We are staying here in September...have you emailed them?..we had similar question and they are wonderful and very prompt on answering all questions prior to booking..

Email them to even see if reservations are available, and ask them about your concerns. The Locanda Orseolo is the most sought after accomodations in the b&b catagory in Venice. Just google the name and you will find PAGES of reviews and comments about L.O.

With back and knee problems, will she be able to climb in and out of a boat and into a water window?

Another option of staying near the airport, is staying on the mainland in Mestre. That way you can use land taxis all the way from airport to hotel to ship. You can either take a land taxi to the island or use the train, which is across the street from the hotels in Mestre. Take a look at Tripadvisor.com

Welcome to Cruise Critic! I loved the Locando Orseolo and highly recommend to most tourists. But in addition to considering the issue of your relative climbing in and out of the window, I want to note that we had a bit of an ordeal getting a water taxi driver to take us to that hotel when we exited the train station in late May. The hotel recommends a specific water taxi company, and a driver from that company refused to take us there! We called via cell phone (it was not my phone, and I'm sure that was an expensive call) while Giggi at the hotel spoke to the taxi driver, and the taxi driver still refused to take us there. This took approx a half hour standing out in the hot sun and was not a fun way to begin a visit to Venice (we've spent 44 days there and have never had issues with the water taxis in the past). We finally basically bribed (expensive ride) a water taxi driver from another company to take us there. We arrived mid-afternoon, and the gondoliers are quite active in the Orseolo canal during the day, so the water taxi drivers don't want to have to work around the gondolas. The climb through the window was not an issue for us and was fun, but I do think it would be an issue for some tourists who have physical limitations. It was a very scenic and nice taxi ride in the end, so just FYI.

I have stayed at a number of hotels in Venice and recommend the Metropole to you based on your situation. You can arrive via water taxi at a private dock without the need to climb through the window.

Have a great trip,

Donna

We too stayed there in May, and were not able to obtain a taxi from the airport to take us to the hotel. I am sure this applies to many hotels located on small canals. Upon departure though, we did recieve a hotel pick-up to the port (100 euros!, but there were four of us so the cost was worth it.) The place is great. Enjoy your trip!

I am sure this applies to many hotels located on small canals.
No, that's not our experience in Venice (have spent 44 days there). There is an issue with the location of the Locando Orseolo in particular due to the active gondola stand located very close to the window that is the entrance to this hotel.

Donna

Archived