Maasdam 08 to Canada/New England

lynntie

We have sailed Princess, RCCL, Carnival and Norwegian. Our favorite being Princess and the rest in order of like/dislike. We are looking at a Fall 08 cruise on the Maasdam, love the Itinerary. I've read both good and bad reviews about this ship. I would appreciate input on the ship and HAL. Thanks, Lynn

Hi,

I was on the Maasdam in June 2005 for a Montreal to Boston cruise. We also did the same itinerary from NY to Montreal on the Rotterdam in 2002.

You're right the ports, and actually the whole trip is truly wonderful.

We really enjoyed Maasdam. She's my husband's favorite. She is an older ship but she's a HAL ship and that makes all the difference.

Just to let you know, HAL's newest ship is being launched in July 2008, and in the fall she'll be doing a couple of NE/Canada cruises from NY to Quebec and back. I think they are 10 day trips. If you get on the HAL website, click on Destinations, choose NE/Canada, then Eurodam and click september or October 2008, then view cruises. When that screen comes up click on the cruise and click on view.

I believe Veendam is also doing 1 or 2 fall Canada trips. If you are at all nervous about the Maasdam, look at the other HAL ships doing this itinerary.

GN

Mike, your photos are great. I noticed you sailed on the Regal Princess. We sailed her twice to Alaska and love the ship, but she is leaving Princess this summer. How would you compare the Regal and the Maasdam?

Thanks, Lynn

Mike, your photos are great. I noticed you sailed on the Regal Princess. We sailed her twice to Alaska and love the ship, but she is leaving Princess this summer. How would you compare the Regal and the Maasdam?

Thanks, Lynn

We loved Regal Princess. Actually we love all the small ships. Regal is, I believe, even older than Maasdam, and the bells and whistles are striclty limited, but she is a beautiful ship and has all the basics. We would go on her again at the drop of a hat. Sorry to see her go.

Maasdam had much the same intimate feel that Regal did. Somehow the small ships just seem friendlier and easier to get about.

Thanks Mike. We agree, we do like the smaller ships. We just did our 3rd Alaska on the Diamond Princess out of Whittier. She is a beautiful ship, with the bells and whistles, but hard to get from here to there. It took us a couple of days to figure her out.

Lynn

Thanks Mike. We agree, we do like the smaller ships. We just did our 3rd Alaska on the Diamond Princess out of Whittier. She is a beautiful ship, with the bells and whistles, but hard to get from here to there. It took us a couple of days to figure her out.

Lynn

LOL -- it usually takes me about a week to learn my way around the ship -- and then they make me get off!:(

Archived