Noordam verses Amsterdam

kruskat

If anyone else can help compare this ships please feel free to comment...

Thanks,

Kathy

The Amsterdam is a classic and classy ship, but I'm partial to new things and rank the Noordam as my favorite HAL ship so far.

I will look forward to what my cruising buddy has to say but I think I have a good idea;)

I have never been on the Amsterdam but have been on the Zaandam. The Amsterdam is one of the HAL ships that is on the agenda to someday cruise on, very possibly next May. We have wanted to sail on her for several years now.

As for the Noordam, Tom and I fully expected to like her but not near as much as we liked the Oosterdam. I will be honest here of all the HAL ships we have been on we have enjoyed every cruise and cannot say we have ever encountered any disasters but one ship out of all of them falls into the category of just being OK and fair at best and that is the Westerdam. So in going on the Noordam our goal was that she would be better than the Westerdam.

This may sound strange but I feel every ship just has a aura or vibe so to speak that just fits for you. You can walk on a ship never feel it and still have a good cruise or you can walk over that gangway and feel this special feeling and just know that the week ahead of you is going to be fantastic. Well, we have always had that feeling on the Oosterdam that is why she is so special to us but to our surprise we had that very same feeling walking on to the Noordam. She was just special to us, our last cruise on the Oosterdam was the best ever and we were so afraid that this cruise would be a bit of a let down. Were we ever in for a surprise. Of couse the company we kept with Karin may have been a contributing factor;) But we loved the Noordam so much. That is why we booked to go on her again so quickly:D

OK, finally got off the phone with my mom! She lives only 13 miles away, and lately I've been seeing her several times a week, but I guess she had more to say on the phone than she could manage in person:)

Kathy, I've only done 3 cruises on HAL, so I don't know that I'm the best person here to help you out. I mostly "talk" a lot on this board:), which maybe gives the perception that I know more than I do.;) :rolleyes:

I agree with Lisa that it's more than just a ship we're talking about. There are a lot of intangible factors that contribute towards forming a memory of a cruise experience. That cruise experience influences the way you feel about a certain ship.

My Amsterdam cruise was a 14-day holiday cruise to the Panama Canal, Costa Rica, Mexico, the ABC islands of the southern Caribbean, and some of the more traditional western caribbean islands, such as Grand Cayman. I liked this cruise very much, and I liked the Amsterdam. HAL kicks up the amenities a bit on the holiday cruises, but then they also charge a premium. The extra amenities that come with this type of cruise helped color my perception of the Amsterdam.

I could see that she was a well-run ship, with a happy crew that worked well together. Fekko Ebbens was the hotel manager, and although I only met him for the first time on this particular cruise, I formed an opinion of him as one with a great deal of experience, warmth, and capability. Mr. Ebbens retired in April after the Grand World Voyage. So there are human factors in play when you consider what contributes to a good experience on a ship.

The Amsterdam is co-flagship with the Rotterdam of the HAL fleet, and she is well cared for. She does many of the Grand Voyages, and she is designed for the comfort of passengers on longer itineraries. Her ambience is one of intimacy.

The Noordam is big and grand and new with all the best developments of HAL's Signature of Excellence. She does shorter itineraries and is designed to appeal to a younger, less experienced cruiser, in general. You will find that the HAL Vista ships, of which Noordam is one, will be more likely to be chartered or utilized by large groups. I liked the Noordam very well, but just like Lisa, I've never had a bad cruise yet.:)

My Alaska cruise on the Noordam was highly enjoyable, and made the more so by the company I kept - thanks to Lisa and Tom. However, my heart goes to the Amsterdam, and I hope to cruise on her again some day.

Bear in mind that these are the emotional opinions of someone who isn't very experienced or knowledgeable about cruising, ships, and the work it takes to run them efficiently. Just my two cents.....

Karin

ps I need to edit for clarification. My cruise experience on the Noordam was my best overall. However, the Amsterdam is my favorite ship out of my three HAL cruises. Go figure. ;-)

We've cruised on both the Amsterdam (33 days) and the new Noordam (16 days) and like both ships. Each has their strong points and you will not go wrong with either one, IMO.

The Amsterdam is our second-favorite HAL ship (behind the Prinsendam). As previously mentioned by middle-age-mom, she is a co-flagship and is well maintained. We found the Amsterdam to be elegant, extremely comfortable and having a wonderful crew. She is an improvement on HAL's S-class ships and was the first HAL ship to be equipped with azipods which enable her to highly manuevarable with minimal vibrations. She is not as large as the Noordam, one of the things we like about the Amsterdam.

The Noordam is new and it IS a beautiful vessel. I consider it to be the perfection of HAL's Vista-class ships. We thoroughly enjoyed our cruise on her. Having said that, we are not enamored with the Vista-class ships (after 3 cruises on them) for a number of reasons: too big, too many people (but still retaining an uncrowded feel), not as easy to find our way around the ship. Also, the Vistas lack a dedicated movie theater and in their place, HAL put a multi-use venue, which is not satisfactory for any use--terrible sight lines, seating is non-stadium, and unbelievelably undersized for the number of people on-board. Also, the sight lines in the main show lounge are just awful-too many obstructions make a lot of seats unusable for viewing a show. To be sure there good things about the Vistas: huge Crow's Nest Lounge, a lot more verandah cabins available; and a very nice, improved flow to the Lido buffet.

I guess if I had to choose between the two ships for the same itineray, we would opt for the Amsterdam, but like I "said" above, I think you won't go wrong with either one. Hope this helps!

And of course, I'm partial to the Vistas - Noordam in particular.

Amsterdam has the more beautiful Dining Room, but the trade off is that you have to go up & over the kitchen to access it if you're walking aft on Promenade Deck. Noordam's Vista Dining Room is more easily accessible, plus its Pinnacle has great windows overlooking the sea and a balcony overlooking the Atruim - Amsterdam's Pinnacle is a dark space with windows that look out onto an equally dark and seldom-used corridor leading to the Video Arcade.

Amsterdam only has better sightlines in her Queen's Room because of the lack of Noordam's structural and plumbing columns servicing the numerous staterooms overhead - However Amsterdam's is only a 2-Deck high room with a flat main floor and its decor is a bit more "Joe Farcus" than the 3-Deck high Vista Lounge aboard Noordam

Noordam has the vastly more extensive spa area, and jacuzzis on her aft-Lido - something Amsterdam lacks.

Noordam's SS/SY category staterooms are much better than the Minisuites on Amsterdam - including two desk areas, larger verandahs and bathrooms with separate jacuzzi tubs and showers - although Amsterdam's bathrooms are better built with mosaic tile floors even in the lowest categories.

Yes, Amsterdam does have a better Movie Theatre - but who takes a cruise to watch movies?

Noordam's glass midship elevators make returning to the stateroom a treat - day or night.

More verandahs and a better ride in rough seas also are in Noordam's favor.**Amsterdam truly is a lovely ship - very comfortable and well cared for - but for my money and comparable itineraries, I'll take Noordam anytime.

Lisa, Karin, Bill and Brian,

Thank you all for sharing your thoughts and writing such generous reviews. It was great to hear your comparisons.

We are sailing on the Noordam this September to AK. Last year, my family celebrated my parent's 50th on the Westerdam over Labor Day. We had such a good time we are taking another family vacation together again this year. Vacationing together has been rare over the years, so thank you HAL for the great time.

It was a tough choice deciding between the Noordam and the Amsterdam this year as both ships have received such good reviews. One of the things that swayed our choice this year was that my Mother is somewhat susceptible to seasickness. We were worried the Amsterdam being smaller might be more of a potential problem for her. That said, the draw to the smaller ship is great and I think Mom would like to give it a go. I think we would all enjoy the experience of the Amsterdam. She sounds superb. Since there have been rumblings on the Webboard about retiring the smaller ships (I know this will not happen over-night) I think it would be a shame not to give her a try. I was really curious to know how people would compare the Noordam and the Amsterdam directly.

It was so much fun to read Lisa's reports of the three musketeer’s adventure, thank you. I am so happy you enjoyed such a great voyage. Lisa, you are correct I believe ships have personalities and auras as cars do for me.

Bill, thank your for the good insight of both ships. I think you are also on the correct track in terms of length of cruise. We all agreed 7 days is not long enough.

Karin, mothers are a treasure, aren’t they? I also live close to my mom and am grateful for the time we can spend together. Hmm… my mother enjoys a good conversation on the phone as well.

Also, kudos for taking a solo cruise, I am glad you were able to enjoy Lisa’s and Tom’s company and you had a good time

Brian, thank-you for explaining the differences of the mini-suites, dining rooms and other design elements. It is interesting you mentioned the ride in rough weather. I guess “You pay your money and take your chances” as the saying goes anytime you are at sea when it comes to a smooth or rough ride.

We can't wait for our next trip!

Best wishes,

Kathy

My most recent two cruises on HAL were on, first, the Noordam and then the Amsterdam. I agree with what previous posters have to say about both vessels. Brian's comment about the Amsterdam's Queen's Lounge decor tending towards the "Joe Farcus" style fits the way I feel about it. For such an elegant vessel, in my opinion, the decor of that lounge doesn't compliment the ship. Maybe, though, I will feel different after another cruise aboard her.

For me, the most significant difference between the two vessels is in the Greenhouse Spa. The Noordam has a wonderful hydrotherapy pool that the Amsterdam lacks. I know that there was not enough room to install one when the Signature of Excellence improvements were being added to the Amsterdam. But, it would be such a great addition to the ship if it could have been.

I totally agree, having had two cruises aboard the Zuiderdam, that the Noordam does represent the best of the Vista Class ships.

For me, the most significant difference between the two vessels is in the Greenhouse Spa. The Noordam has a wonderful hydrotherapy pool that the Amsterdam lacks. I know that there was not enough room to install one when the Signature of Excellence improvements were being added to the Amsterdam. But, it would be such a great addition to the ship if it could have been.

Amsterdam and her sisters had Thassolotherapy Jacuzzis installed - Starboard side/Forward - not nearly as large as the T-pool on the Vistas, but it checks that box...

We've been on Amstedam and will be returning in a couple of weeks. We haven't been on Noordam yet, but have been on all other Vistas.

I agree you can't go wrong on any HAL ship. One BIG difference is the Vistas hold about 50 percent more pax than the R and S class HAL ships.

The S "Deluxe" suites and verandah suites on R and S ships are larger than the standard verandah cabins and S suites on the Vistas. But Vistas do have the SS-SZ "Superior" suites, which are smaller than the S suites but larger than R and S verandah cabins.

I can't comment on the Spas because I always travel with my own masseuse.

One BIG difference is the Vistas hold about 50 percent more pax than the R and S class HAL ships.

Not exactly Ted:**

S-Class*capacity at Double occupancy is @ 1200 pax

R-Class capacity at Double occupancy is @ 1400 pax

Vista Class capacity at Double occupancy is @1800-1900 pax

Dear Brian,

It is good to hear HAL will probably be keeping Amsterdam around for awhile. After all, she is a flagship isn't she? I thought in light of recent conversations they might be restructuring the fleet and selling some of the smaller ships. I certainly think it would be a shame if they choose to go that route and not provide that option of smaller ships. So many love them. The number of "mega ships" certainly seems to be growing. I for one really don't care for them and hope HAL does not go beyond the size of the Eurodam.

Cheers,

Kathy

If HAL did start to sell off the smaller ships they would probably start with the Maasdam, Ryndam, Statendam and Veendam. Those ships were built between 1993 and 1999. But, HAL has paid enormous sums of money for upgrades recently so it is hard to believe they would be for sale so soon.

It has often been rumored that the Prinsendam is up for sale.

Amsterdam and her sisters had Thassolotherapy Jacuzzis installed - Starboard side/Forward - not nearly as large as the T-pool on the Vistas, but it checks that box...

Thanks, Brian! I did not know that. I will check them out when I am aboard Amsterdam next year.

bob

Archived