NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

5 minutes ago, laurawho2 said:

I'm confused. If I have a BC balcony, and 30,000 pts what sort of upgrade can I ask for? Thanks!

Nothing.  With 10,000 you could get a better balcony (2 category upgrade)

If you want to use your 30,000 points, you can upgrade from an inside to OV or OV to balcony.

If you are still within the cancellation window, you can cancel your balcony and rebook as OV.

Caveat: I did this and when I called to upgrade, they tried to tell me they didn't have any balconies available.  Worked it out, but it sounded like they only allow a certain number of upgrades per cruise.  But since I got 2 different stories,  I can't say for certain.

https://www.ncl.com/world-points

So called to upgrade my reservation from my existing B2 reservation to an Aft B1.  They said I can do this for 10,000 but she said the system wanted to reprice my B2 for the going rate (which is a lot more).  She thought that was unusual so suggested I call back when the support staff was there. Anyone have experience with upgrading an existing reservation?  Do they reprice it  in order to get the upgrade?

21 hours ago, 20YearsBetweenCruises said:

So called to upgrade my reservation from my existing B2 reservation to an Aft B1.  They said I can do this for 10,000 but she said the system wanted to reprice my B2 for the going rate (which is a lot more).  She thought that was unusual so suggested I call back when the support staff was there. Anyone have experience with upgrading an existing reservation?  Do they reprice it  in order to get the upgrade?

Thought I'd supply a happy update.  They were able to upgrade without the repricing. It took 2 more phone calls to get it done. The first one today she said it was not a problem and said she did the upgrade without repricing my original reservation, but when I checked confirmation email that was not the case. Called back and they fixed it to reflect my original booking prices.

So I was able to upgrade a B2 balcony to a B1 (aft) for 10,000 points on the Jewel.  This is an Alaska cruise and the cost savings is $1,200.  Pretty good for just using the 10,000 sign up bonus!

We are looking to sail the Jewel in 2021 but I noticed the family balcony is no longer in B2 is now a B4.  So guessing it will take 20,000 points to upgrade.  I see the new offer for the credit card is 20,000 though, so just signed up my husband for one and will try this again.

Thanks all, I use to use the NCL credit card years ago when it paid back 3%, but ignored it as it did not seem like a good deal. But  I'm on the band wagon now. 

We only paid for a B3 to upgrade to a B1 on the Jewel to Alaska last June. 10,000 points should get you a two category upgrade. They should have repriced you to a B3 not your original B2. 

Closer to the cruise we decided to pay to upgrade to the forward penthouse and they gave us $100 OBC for our 10,000 points since we paid the full price from the B3 to the penthouse. Forward or aft facing is a must for Alaska IMHO. Enjoy your cruise.

15 hours ago, 20YearsBetweenCruises said:

So I was able to upgrade a B2 balcony to a B1 (aft) for 10,000 points on the Jewel.  This is an Alaska cruise and the cost savings is $1,200.  Pretty good for just using the 10,000 sign up bonus!

We are looking to sail the Jewel in 2021 but I noticed the family balcony is no longer in B2 is now a B4.  So guessing it will take 20,000 points to upgrade.  I see the new offer for the credit card is 20,000 though, so just signed up my husband for one and will try this again.

20k sign up points is good only if

It's still 60k points for a double meta upgrade. 

Ie: inside to (aft?) balcony

7 hours ago, peg013 said:

We only paid for a B3 to upgrade to a B1 on the Jewel to Alaska last June. 10,000 points should get you a two category upgrade. They should have repriced you to a B3 not your original B2. 

Closer to the cruise we decided to pay to upgrade to the forward penthouse and they gave us $100 OBC for our 10,000 points since we paid the full price from the B3 to the penthouse. Forward or aft facing is a must for Alaska IMHO. Enjoy your cruise.

Thanks,  looking forward to being in the aft cabin!   I booked my B2 since had 4 in room. I don't think the B3 had options for 4.  But repricing my B2 to today's rates increased  it like $1200.   Thankfully, they were able to get back my previous booking price.  Crazy that the cruise prices have increased so much since I originally booked.

Please forgive me as I'm sure this has probably been asked before.  I currently have 19,378 so let's say 20,000 points.  If I want to use if to pay off a portion of my balance can I do this and if so how do I do it?

8 minutes ago, TYTY said:

Please forgive me as I'm sure this has probably been asked before.  I currently have 19,378 so let's say 20,000 points.  If I want to use if to pay off a portion of my balance can I do this and if so how do I do it?

Open your account.  Go to Redeem tab, then Redeem WorldPoints, Choose Your Rewards, Cash, Request a one-time Redemption - drop down menu item -- select statement credit. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Socalev said:

Open your account.  Go to Redeem tab, then Redeem WorldPoints, Choose Your Rewards, Cash, Request a one-time Redemption - drop down menu item -- select statement credit. 

When you say open your account do you mean through Bank of America?

• 2 weeks later...

Masters of the NCL Visa Meta Upgrade System, I need your help! 

I have a family of 5.  We are HOPING to take the Alaska/Denali CruiseTour in the summer of 2021.  

We have about 80,000 NCL credit card points to play with right now.

I think I will definitely need two staterooms to house the whole family. 

What is my best "bang for the buck" with the meta upgrades?  

Should I book two OV and then use two upgrades to put both rooms to balcony? 

Is that even allowed?

Should I book two OK? Where would that land us with the upgrade?

Please help!  I am new to the NCL card and want to maximize the benefit of the points.  We are taking a spring break cruise and I can get Cruisenext credits for the deposits, if that would save us money, too.  (Is this allowed?) 

Thank you in advance for your opinions!  

Presuming you are willing to put the kids in an inside cabin, the best bang for your buck (and points) might be to book two insides and upgrade one to a balcony.  But you can only determine this by doing a cost analysis of the price of insides compared to the price of OVs.  I don’t know what an OK is.   

If it were me, I would call the reward number and tell them what you want to do and let them help you figure out what is the best deal.  Be patient, you may have to hang up and start over as not all the agents even know what a meta or double meta upgrades are. Also, it won’t be quick even if you get an experienced agent so don’t try to do it when you don’t have 45 minutes or more available. 

Using vouchers for deposits is allowed. But you won’t be able to book until you have the vouchers in hand. They can’t be used retroactively (unless the rules have changed). 

1 hour ago, familyofg said:

Masters of the NCL Visa Meta Upgrade System, I need your help! 

I have a family of 5.  We are HOPING to take the Alaska/Denali CruiseTour in the summer of 2021.  

We have about 80,000 NCL credit card points to play with right now.

I think I will definitely need two staterooms to house the whole family. 

What is my best "bang for the buck" with the meta upgrades?  

Should I book two OV and then use two upgrades to put both rooms to balcony? 

Is that even allowed?

Should I book two OK? Where would that land us with the upgrade?

Please help!  I am new to the NCL card and want to maximize the benefit of the points.  We are taking a spring break cruise and I can get Cruisenext credits for the deposits, if that would save us money, too.  (Is this allowed?) 

Thank you in advance for your opinions!  

I did a meta upgrade (30,000 points) - I chose the cheapest OV (above sailaway because I wanted the promos) and did an upgrade to balcony.

Yes, you can use your cruise next certificates.  Check the status of the double-up promo to see if you are able to use 2 for each cabin.  If you can't use 2/cabin when you book, you can usually use a 2nd one if they run the promo sometime before final payment (T&C says new bookings but I've done it many times).

There is no reason you can't book 2 OV and upgrade both, if you have the points.  In theory, you get an equal upgrade, so cheapest OV gets you cheapest balcony, but my balcony was actually in a better classification.

Book your cruise, then call the WorldWide points people and negotiate the upgrade(s).  When I did it, my balcony reservation became GTY - I don't know if that's standard or if it's because of when I did the upgrade.  I got the impression at the time that there were a limited number of cabins available for the upgrade, but again that could have been due to inventory at that time, not standard practice.

So it might be best to call to verify that you would be able to choose your cabins, if that is important.  I found them to be more helpful if I had a reservation already in place, but I was glad I'd called ahead of time to verify that I could do what I wanted - because when I called back to put everything in place, they tried to tell me no more cabins.  I cried foul on that one and got my upgrade (so take names when you ask questions!)

58 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

Using vouchers for deposits is allowed. But you won’t be able to book until you have the vouchers in hand. They can’t be used retroactively (unless the rules have changed). 

I think the T&Cs say new booking, but I have been able to use CN certificates up until final payment - anything paid before that date is still a deposit.  I've played musical-certificates more than once!

In November we booked a B2B I-1 Family (interior) on an 11 and 14 day Southern Caribbean cruise on the

Gem for a total of 25 days.

These rooms were booked through my NCL TA and upon completion he transferred to the WorldPoint r

edeemers. At that point I stated my intention of using the 60,000 points for a double meta upgrade.

After giving her my reservation number of the first cruise and her verifying my points she stated that she

had not done this type of transaction and could I wait on hold till she contacted her supervisor.

After less than a minute on hold..... she came back and asked if I was still on the line. I responded Yes

and I stated that my wife has a walking issue and if possible place us close to the mid elevator bank as a BA.

After searching for a moment or two she came back with a room number(on the 9th floor). As I had the

Gems floor plan at the ready I looked up the room number AND it was right on. I said yes book it.

It took a total of 25 to 30 minutes beginning with my NCL TA booking the two I-1 rooms to the booking

of the 2 BA rooms.

Both cruises are LATITUDE and will total 50 reward points.

PS

I wonder if WYB!,. Received any upgrade?

59 minutes ago, P_Mcruisers said:

In November we booked a B2B I-1 Family (interior) on an 11 and 14 day Southern Caribbean cruise on the

Gem for a total of 25 days.

These rooms were booked through my NCL TA and upon completion he transferred to the WorldPoint r

edeemers. At that point I stated my intention of using the 60,000 points for a double meta upgrade.

After giving her my reservation number of the first cruise and her verifying my points she stated that she

had not done this type of transaction and could I wait on hold till she contacted her supervisor.

After less than a minute on hold..... she came back and asked if I was still on the line. I responded Yes

and I stated that my wife has a walking issue and if possible place us close to the mid elevator bank as a BA.

After searching for a moment or two she came back with a room number(on the 9th floor). As I had the

Gems floor plan at the ready I looked up the room number AND it was right on. I said yes book it.

It took a total of 25 to 30 minutes beginning with my NCL TA booking the two I-1 rooms to the booking

of the 2 BA rooms.

Both cruises are LATITUDE and will total 50 reward points.

PS

I wonder if WYB!,. Received any upgrade?

if you're going to spend 60k points, why not get the aft balcony upgrade?

if you just wanted a regular balcony, why no book the cheapest Inside category instead of a I1?

56 minutes ago, fstuff1 said:

if you just wanted a regular balcony, why no book the cheapest Inside category instead of a I1?

No one with a walking issue wants to be all the way aft. I booked an I1 to get a BA so I could be right near the elevator as well.

On 2/11/2020 at 6:14 PM, fstuff1 said:

Last time I checked, the aft balconies weren’t included in the Categories to which a meta double cross upgrade was allowed. That could have changed of course. 

9 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Last time I checked, the aft balconies weren’t included in the Categories to which a meta double cross upgrade was allowed. That could have changed of course. 

9 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Do you think that you could do a single meta upgrade (30,000) from oceanview to balcony and then use one of the in-category upgrades (10,000 or 20,000) to get to an AFT balcony?  Inquiring minds hoping to take the fam to ALASKA want to know.  :)