AOS - formal nights/Portofino's

I'm so exited!!! Only 12 more days until DH and I celebrate our 5th anniversary on AOS.

It is a seven-night cruise. How many formal nights are there...and does anyone know which days they fall on?

Also, I have heard about Portofino's. It has always been my opinion that we have already paid for the cruise- so why pay more for a dinner at Portofino's.

However, I can be persuaded if it is worth the experience - especially celebrating our anniversary. Is the dining experience worth the expense? Is the food really really good? We are more simple eaters and I'm a little wary of "cuisine".

Any opinions are welcome! Thanks!

There will be 2 formal nights.

And Chops and Portofino are $20 pp and well worth it. Much better quality than the dining room food. You could never get that quailty food in land based restaurants for $20 pp. And you can eat when you want (provided you made reservations) and have a table to yourself. Definitely try it!!!

I will be on AOS next May and we are considering splurging for the specialty meal. I've heard rave reviews about the menue and the 7 course meal, but I've not heard the meal described. Does anyone have a menu or can someone describe the food served?

Many thanks!

Was on the AOS last week. The Barbados Route. The formal nights were Monday and Thursday. We went to Portofino's on Tuesday. The food is excellent and well worth the extra charge. We had a very nice evening there. We usually only eat at Chops, but there isn't one on the AOS. I eat just about everything and I like trying new things. My husband, on the other hand, is a very picky eater. He wouldn't touch anything on that menu. They were very accomodating and brought him a melt in your mouth filet mignon, a baked potato, and a wedge of lettuce and he was happy. I got to eat the foods that I enjoy, so it worked out well.

Go......enjoy.....you'll be glad you did!

I will be on AOS next May and we are considering splurging for the specialty meal. I've heard rave reviews about the menue and the 7 course meal, but I've not heard the meal described. Does anyone have a menu or can someone describe the food served?

Many thanks!

Portofino Menu

Appetizers, Soups, Salads

Carpaccio Con Scaglie Di Parmigiano- Thinly sliced seared tenderloin with a salad of shaved fennel, argula and sun-dried tomatoes, finished with lemon-infused olive oil and roasted pine seeds

Sformato Al Formaggio Caprino, Insalatina Di Campo E Funghi Trifolati Profumati Al Tartufo- Warm double baked goat cheese souffle served on a bed of forest mushrooms with crisp garden greens, sage-infused cream and drizzled with truffle oil

Risotto Ai Gamberetti- Tiger shrimp sauteed with fresh herbs on a bed of creamy saffron risotto

Insalata Caprese- Vine ripened yellow and red teardrop tomatoes with baby broccocini, basil, and red onion

Zuppa Lagunare Agli Asparagi E Filetti Di Trota Affumicata- Cream of asparagus with julienne-smoked river trout

Zuppa Fredda Di Pomodori E Peperoni Dolci Con Capesante Ed Avocado- Chilled plum tomato and pepper soup with seared scallops and avacado

Zuppa Del Giorno- Soup of the day

Insalata Di Pere E Gorgonzola- Mesclun greens, crumbled Gorgonzola cheese, slices of crip pears and roasted candied walnuts served with house dressing

Insalata All Cesare- Romaine lettuce with shaved parmesan, herb croutons, and traditional dressing. Prepared a la minute in the dining room

Pasta

Penne D'angelo, Salsa Di Pomodoro San Marzono Con Prosciutto Crudo E Basilico- Penne pasta with vine-ripened tomoatoes, prosciutto, fresh basil, and shaved Parmesan cheese

Pappardelle Mantecate Con Crema Marscaponem, Funghi Arrosto E Timo- Ribbon pasta with roasted mushrooms and fresh thyme, lightly tossed in a marscapone cream sauce

Spaghetti All'arargosta E Mazzancolle- Chunks of lobster, roasted zucchini, and garden peas, with a piquant lobster basil sauce

Main Courses

Gamberoni Cotti In Padella Al Profumo Di Mare- Tiger shrimp, roasted garlic and fresh herbs, served on a bed of grilled asparagus and baby vegetables

Saltimbocca Alla Romana- Thinly sliced veal wrapped with fresh sage abd prosciutto, pan-friend with porcini mushrom risotto and Marsala jus

Filetto Di Manzo Alla Piastra- Girlled North American beef tenderloin on creamy truffle mashed potatoes, roasted and carmelized garlic and seasonal vegetables

Filetto Di Tonno Ai Ferri Marinato Con Succo Di Limone Ed Olio Extra-Vergine D'Oliva- Olive oil and lemon marinated tuna steak with grilled fennel and chili-tomato compote

Scaloppa Di Pollo Alla Parmigiana, Salsa Di Pomodoro E Pesto Alla Genovese- Corn-fed chicken, baked with eggplant and mozzarella, with an herbed potato cake and Ligurian tomato-pesto sauce

Filetto Di Halibut "Ippoglosso" Alla Piastra- Grilled fillet of Atlantic halibut on wilted baby spinach, with lobster ravioli and roasted purple onions, sun-dried tomato confit and basil oil

Desserts

Torta Al Cioccolato Gianduia E Mandorle Con Crema Al Caramello E Gelato Al Caffe Espresso- Flourless gianduia chocolate cake, served with semi-whipped espresso cream

Tiramisu Alla Portofino- A traditional favorite, with crushed marinated rasperries

Rollo Di Neve Meringata Alla Nocciole Tostate Ripieno Con Panna Profumata Al Frangelico, Crema Al Caffe- Roasted hazelnut meringue on mixed forest berries with Frangelico sabayon

Pannacotta Alla Veneziana con Agrumi Profumati Alla Menta- Buttermilk panna cotta with a refreshing minted citrus salad

Tartufo Di Cioccolato Bianco Al Latte Con Fragole- White chocolate truffle cake with vintage balsamic vinegar, tossed strawberries

Cheeses

Scelta Di Formaggi Assortiti- A samping of Italian cheeses

Chops

Appetizers

Shrimp Cocktail- Served with traditional American cocktail sauce

Maryland crab cake- Succulent crabmeat bound with herbs and vegetables, lightly breaded, sauteed golden brown, served with poblano aioli

Portobello caps- Marinated with garlic and olive oil, grilled, served with roasted red bell peppers, goat cheese crostini and a balsamic reduction

Cheese 'n' onion soup- Gruyere cheese tops this hearty favorite

New England clam chowder- A creamy, flavorful soup topped with oyster crackers

"Chops' Salad"- Seasoned greens, red and yellow tomoatoes, mushrooms and artichoke hearts

Beekfsteak Tomato- Tomato and red onion slices sprinkled with Roquefort cheese

Traditional Caesar- Romaine lettuce with shaved Parmesan herb croutons and Caesar dressing

Followed By

Prime rib of beef- Crusted with our Royal Culinary Collections spices, roasted and sreved with natural pan gravy

Filet Mignon- 10 ounces of a thick and flavorful cut from the tenderloin

Small Filet Mignon- 7 ounces of a thick and flavorful cut from the tenderloin

Chops signature New York striploin steak- 10 ounces of your all-time favorite, enhanced by the slightly sweet taste of mesquite smoke seasoning

Veal chop- 10 ounces, tender and tasty, broiled and served on the bone

Colorado lamb chops- Two large double-rip chops, crusted with Dijon mustard and our Royal Culinary Collections blend of seasonings

Royal pork shank- Braised in a delicious balsamic BBQ sauce

Rotisserie chicken- Marinated in our Royal blend of spices

Mesquite grilled salmon- A center-cute fillet enhanced by the sweet hint of mesquite-smoked seasoning

Sides and Vegetables

Baked Idaho potato

Home fried potatoes with sauteed onions

Mashed potatoes

Creamed spinach

Steamed asparagus

Sauteed mushrooms

Fried onion rings

Rice pilaf

To End the Feast

Chocolate mud pie- Our version of this regional Mississippi favorite

Apple pie a la mode- Slices of Golden Delicious apples baked in a double-crust pastry, topped with vanilla ice cream

Chops raspberry cheesecake- Luscious cake with fresh raspberry coulis

Warm Brioche pudding- Made with cubed brioch, cognac-macerated raisins and orange zest custard, served with warm caramel-bourbon sauce

Hungry now????:D

On the AOS this past January, DH and I decided to skip the dining room altogether. We at at the WJ most nights but on both formal nights we ate at Portofino. We certainly didn't want to do a buffet in our formals :D . It was worth every penny of the $20. The service, food, ambiance were all worth it.

On the AOS this past January, DH and I decided to skip the dining room altogether. We at at the WJ most nights but on both formal nights we ate at Portofino. We certainly didn't want to do a buffet in our formals :D . It was worth every penny of the $20. The service, food, ambiance were all worth it.

That exactly what we usually do on our cruises. On formal nights we eat in Portofino and most other nights we eat in the buffet or some other light venue, but avoid the dining room.

We sailed on the AOS two years ago and I still think about the tiramisu. Make sure you save room. It was fabulous. The dining room was great but the service in Portofino's will amaze you. They allow at least 2 hours for your meal. It's a more relaxed environment because they are not trying to hurry you along. Enjoy!

We were on AOS last week and ate at Portofino's on Wednesday night. It was fantastic. The menu was different than the one posted but just as good. We felt is was worth the extra money. The service was amazing. Desserts were to die for. I had the tiramisu and my husband had the dessert sampler. If we hadn't been so full - we would have ordered seconds on dessert!!!

Enjoy!

Yummmm. The menu sounds divine - for me. I'm worried about my husband, though. He definitely will turn a nose up on that menu. He is very plain steak and potato man. Maybe I can convince him...but I don't know....

Thanks for all your comments, though!!

Don't worry about your husband being a steak and potao guy. As I said.....they brought my husband a wonderful steak, baked potato, and a wedge of lettuce. Then I enjoyed all the fabulous things on the menu. I feel sorry for picky eaters.

Archived