Table for 2?

I don't want this thread to turn into what table seating is better or whether people who choose to sit at their own table are missing the best aspect of the cruise, etc... But, my husband and I feel that being at a table for two is what is best for us right now, however I am not sure how easy or difficult it would be to get. Anyone have any experience in this arena? TIA

There is no guarantee of getting a table for 2. Some cruise ships do not have many and some none at all. Check with your travel agent or the cruise line. Mention your requset when booking. Be aware that passengers in the higher graded cabins and suites usually have priority for such requests despite what the cruise lines state. After 18 cruises I have found that the following actions have produced results.

Book a high grade suite

Become a frequent passenger with the same cruiseline

In the past an up front gratuity of $20.00 to the Maitre' D would produce results. I used to show it during my request. If they say that the cannot accept it, then tell them that you will take care of them at the end of the cruise and be sure to do so if you get your table for 2.

Above all see the Maite' D, as soon as possible after boarding the ship. He or she is usually outside one of the Dinning rooms handling seating requests. You will find out what size table you are seated and make a request for a change if you do not have a table for 2.

The easiest way to guarantee a table for 2 is to book with Norwegian Cruise Lines. They offer freestyle cruising which allows you to dine with whomever you want including a table for 2 in the main dinning rooms. They also have numerous speciality restaurants (most with an additional fee) that will guarantee a table for 2.

Hope this helps

I don't want this thread to turn into what table seating is better or whether people who choose to sit at their own table are missing the best aspect of the cruise, etc... But, my husband and I feel that being at a table for two is what is best for us right now, however I am not sure how easy or difficult it would be to get. Anyone have any experience in this arena? TIA

I was told we could request a small(3-5) or large(8-10) table on rccl. So we requested a small table and we are a party of 3. My TA seem to think we would have our own table.

There are many 4 place tables, so your party of 3 may get one. I would check with Maitre d' on boarding day. He is usually available in one of the dining rooms about 1:30. As far as getting a table for 2, we now always ask. So far, we have gotten a 2 place on the last 3 cruises. However, this may depend largely on the class of ship you are sailing. There are more 2 place tables available on Voyager class ships than on Radiance class. In fact, I'm not sure there are any tables for 2 set ups on Radiance class.

I was told we could request a small(3-5) or large(8-10) table on rccl. So we requested a small table and we are a party of 3. My TA seem to think we would have our own table.
A small table is actually 4-6 so it is likely you will be on a 6 with at least another couple. You may be lucky though.

My husband and I wanted a table for two on Adventure of the Seas and as soon as we boarded, per advice on this site, I went to see the Maitre'd to request the change. Though we did have to dine with a family the first night as the response to our request was that they would try to accomodate us but it is not guranteed, we received a card in our room with our new table # the next day; it was a table for two. And, we were not suite passengers either ;)

We have been on several cruises. The first time we had a table with our faily alone and requested to be seated with friends on the ship ...a few hours we received the card that it would be changed the next night.

On our other cruise with my in-law's , we were moved immediately once we asked because of a specific situation where the ship was so crowded that they actually stuck us in a back room connected to the dining room in picnic table style tables.

When we went with just DH and myself, we requested a table for two. First time, the concierge contacted me prior to boarding and took care of it , the second time we were also granted the table for two (the EXACT table that we sat at the previous year). NOW, we do book suites so I cannot tell if that's why we got our wish or not. From what I've seen, if you go right there once boarded, you will most likely get your request! GOOD LUCK! We LOVED our table for two!!!! Very romantic!

Thanks everyone. Our TA did put a request in for a table for two (it was actually her idea), so hopefully we will get it. I will check right when we get on board (Monarch) and if we are seated with others, see about getting that changed. Thanks for all your suggestions.

What cabin you are in or how frequently you cruise this line has NOTHING to do with how you are treated on a cruise!

If you want a 2-top, request it, then check once you've boarded. If you didn't get it, request again.

What cabin you are in or how frequently you cruise this line has NOTHING to do with how you are treated on a cruise!

If you want a 2-top, request it, then check once you've boarded. If you didn't get it, request again.

I agree!!!

I agree!!!

I agree also.............plus the fact of tipping the maitre de??? Nope.dont do that either......(and certainly no need to cruise NCL:eek: :eek: ;) )

Just be one of the first to see him when he is set up at the dining room the day of embarkation.......and request it then........

We have never had a problem getting a table for two. In fact, on our last Celebrity cruise there were many couples sitting alone at tables intended for 6. If there is space, you will be accommodated.

Do be sure to stop by the dining room in the afternoon and check out your table. If your table number seats 4, 6, or even more then talk to the maitre d' and ask how many are sitting at your table. There are frequently two people sitting alone at a table that could accommodate more than two. If you're not on your own, ask if you can be reallocated to a table for two ... and if they can't accommodate you then just make the best of it! If you do wind up with others and really want some together time then you can do room service one night, or a specialty restaurant.

And BTW, I absolutely disagree with RedSail89.

For our cruise this past January we made a point of requested being put on a table of 6 or 8 people we did this thru our ta. Will when we boarded and and to see where we were seated we had a table for two.

Christine

I called RCCL a couple of weeks ago and told them this was our 20th Anniversary cruise, and could we please have a table for two in the dining room? They said it was absolutely no problem, they would take care of it. I believed them, but we will for sure check it out when we first board!:)

Amanda

We've found the larger the ship the better chance of having your request for a table for two granted. The one time our request was refused was on the Majesty.

In ten cruises, all Royal Caribbean, we have requested a table for two every time. We were assigned a table for two twice, once on Mariner of the Seas and once on Majesty of the Seas.

Going to the maitre d' does not always work. One such case was when we were on a fully booked Brilliance cruise to the Panama Canal. We tried our best with the maitre d' but he told us the ship was so full, he had no capacity to give us a table for two. In fact, he said many others had requested such a table and he couldn't help them either.

So we went to the premium restaurants or the Windjammer every night and sat where we wanted. We had a great time and did not miss the dining room at all. Strangely enough, the maitre d' called me three different times during the cruise and asked me how I was enjoying the dining room! I told him each time that because we weren't assigned a table for two, we had elected to eat in other venues and were pleased with that arrangement. I told him that on three different occassions.

The one thing I have been told is that Diamond and Diamond Plus Crown and Anchor members do have priority in their seating preferences. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of that statement, but that is what we were told.

The one thing I have been told is that Diamond and Diamond Plus Crown and Anchor members do have priority in their seating preferences. I cannot vouch for the accuracy of that statement, but that is what we were told.

Dont know about anyone else,but no,we dont always get that table for 2 we request ahead of time(we're DP)..........however, we have always gotten one once onboard......I think the seating preference is more for main or late choices or small(4-6) or large tables......

I called RCCL a couple of weeks ago and told them this was our 20th Anniversary cruise, and could we please have a table for two in the dining room? They said it was absolutely no problem, they would take care of it. I believed them, but we will for sure check it out when we first board!:)

Amanda

Regardless of what they tell you on the phone, check your dining room seating as soon as you board the ship. The customer service reps on the phone have no power to assign dining room tables. That's done on board the ship.

Dont know about anyone else,but no,we dont always get that table for 2 we request ahead of time(we're DP)..........however, we have always gotten one once onboard......I think the seating preference is more for main or late choices or small(4-6) or large tables......

Not once have we ever had our table for two request granted on the phone. We've had to speak to the maitre 'd on board. Usually it's granted.

I requested a table for two but was told that the request gets put in for a small table (which could be for 2, 4 or 6). We plan to check our table once onboard and speak with the maitre d'. If we can't have a table for 2 we are going to request a larger table.

Not once have we ever had our table for two request granted on the phone. We've had to speak to the maitre 'd on board. Usually it's granted.

Glad to know Im not alone..:)

Thanks everyone. Our TA did put a request in for a table for two (it was actually her idea), so hopefully we will get it. I will check right when we get on board (Monarch) and if we are seated with others, see about getting that changed. Thanks for all your suggestions.

hi, there.. same here we wanted table for two.[ and we got it ] if you send me your email i can more or less tell you how you can guarantee you get table for 2 once you board..

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry I upset so many people with my original comments. If anyone believes cruise lines will not give seating preferences to repeat customers and high grade suite guests should look what perks they do give (except Carnival)

Priority Embarkation ( Even Carnival)

Priority Debarkation

Separate debarkation lounge or area

Individual Concierge service

Concierge Loung (free Liquor on RCI for GS, OS and RS occupants)

Complimentary in room liquor in NCL owner suites and above)

Butler service

Special suite room service menu (additional items)

Complimentary Champagne, Fruit Basket, Flowers and Hors d"oeuvres

Complimentary soda, water in NCL owners suite and above

Advanced bookings in Specialty Restaurants ( 2 weeks in advance for RCI and at the pier for NCL)

Repeat Passenger cocktail Party

Suite Passenger Cocktail with the Captain and staff wih upscale buffet on NCL

Platinum club and above members also get the same on RCI

Private Courtyar with pool and hot tub on the newer NCL ships (no other passengers allowed) All cruisers are treated equal? Shades of the Titanic!

Too much more to list!

Based on the above it is logical to assume that repeat cruisers and high grade suite guests will be given seating preference especially if there are few tables for 2. They get almost everything else, so why not this! I did not mean to imply that you must book a suite or tip. I have been able to secure a table for 2 when booking lower category cabins but not often. I guess I am not lucky or experience the miracles of those who always get a table for 2 and all you have to do is ask! I would venture to guess that more people are turned down then those who are able to secure it ! It is a moot point since my wife and I cruise with other couples and large groups.

Love those group rates.

I know that circumstances dictate the results of seating requsts especially on a full or empty ship. I believe however that if I could afford a penthouse Suite on any Celebrity cruise ship I would have an exceptional chance of securing a table for 2. I would expect the same if I had 10 plus cruises with the same line. This is just a good business practice by the cruise line. Yes cruise lines treat all passengers the same (except Cunard) and encourage repeat passengers no matter what they book. I was not trying to incite suite versus non suite warefare. I haved cruised in both categories and always had a great time! But this is an extremely competitive business. Just visit the new NCL web-site and view the lavish amenities offered suite guests. If only I could afford the Garden Villa.

BTW who is RedSail89 and what is wrong with offering a gratuity to the Maitre D ? If you really wanted a table for 2 and a gratuity would secure the table, it seems like common sense to offer it. I always tip any employee that render me a special request or service.

RailSail89

Archived