Gay vs Mainstream cruises

PhilipHF

A few recent threads got me thinking about how to choose between gay and "straight" cruises.

My partner and I are taking a mainstream cruise (Crown Princess 10/27/07) with 2 straight women friends. I'm happy to see so many FODs on mainstream cruises. We've spent many years doing the P'Town and Fire Island thing so a gay cruise wasn't that important.

Question to the mainstream cruisers: Why not Atlantis or RSVP?

Thanks, Philip

A few recent threads got me thinking about how to choose between gay and "straight" cruises.

My partner and I are taking a mainstream cruise (Crown Princess 10/27/07) with 2 straight women friends. I'm happy to see so many FODs on mainstream cruises. We've spent many years doing the P'Town and Fire Island thing so a gay cruise wasn't that important.

Thanks, Philip

For me, its two reasons.

1) I think I'd feel intimidated on an all gay cruise, I considered it a number of times but all the ads/pics seem to show super-fit model style bods in speedos..

2) There doesn't seem a lot of choice for us based in the UK :(

For me and my partner Allen, the "gay" cruises don't appeal to us because they don't seem to reflect how we live our lives. We live in a gay resort community, and while we occasionally attend a "gay" event, we are more comfortable just attending events and living among our very mixed, accepting community as a whole. We live and thrive being out in a very mixed, gay and straight, community. And we have chosen (and very much enjoyed) our cruises which mirror how we live our lives. Yuk -- I just read what I've written, and it sounds preachy. I don't mean it to be. Diffierent strokes for different folks. We choose and thoroughly enjoy the mixed, perhaps more mainstream cruises.

David

Hey Philip,

Although I've sailed on both types of cruises, both wonderful vacations, lately it has been the $$$. Getting a Balcony Cabin on a mainstream sailing for the same cost as an Inside Cabin on the charters has been the draw. Being able to be flexible with dates and scouting for bargains online sometimes even allows a longer sailing for the same price. Have to say, though, I'm ready for a good old gay cruise now and some of the email offers I've gotten from the allegedly 'financially challenged' company sound good. My charter sailings have made me very proud of my gay brothers and sisters, a great group of ladies and gentlemen.

Enjoy your sailing on the Crown Princess!!!

Jack :)

For me, its two reasons.

1) I think I'd feel intimidated on an all gay cruise, I considered it a number of times but all the ads/pics seem to show super-fit model style bods in speedos..

2) There doesn't seem a lot of choice for us based in the UK :(

for the last time (if only):

Yes there are hunky models in the ads. Sex sells. However, as has been documented on here many many times, the gay cruises attract a wide range of people, ages, body types, etc. For example, the current Baltics cruise is skewing about an average age of 50. Yes, 50.

Just like all those ads you see on tv with the 4 friends, one white, one asian, one balck, and one female, marketing is marketing. However, the truth is you'll see all types on a gay cruse.

Now, for the original question:

Either company operates a very similar product. I am only familiar with Atlantis, but from others (many) I have spoken with, there is only minor differences between the two products. I haven't heard anyone say they disliked RSVP in favor of Atlantis to the point that they wouldn't rebook.

Your mileage WILL vary, so ask around.

Thanks, Philip

Philip, please forgive me for answering a different question, "Why RSVP?" I can't answer "Why Atlantis?" because we have never done Atlantis.

For years, Joe and I stayed away from the gay charters specifically because we were intimidated by the marketing and the fear of a gay-bar or gay-bath type atmosphere. Since we are in our sixties, we don't fit the demographic in the pictures. (We wouldn't have fit in those pictures 30 years ago either.) However, once we boarded for our first RSVP cruise this year, we immediately felt comfortable. Everyone was friendly--even those that were young and good-looking. We met people that reminded us of all the other gay people we have known and loved throughout the years.

For us, in addition to the very friendly, lovable people on board, we were especially impressed with the exceptional entertainment on board our two RSVP cruises this year. This alone was worth quite a bit of extra money. You do pay more for an RSVP cruise, but the entertainment and friendly people help make it worth the difference.

However, we still plan to do both RSVP and mainstream cruises. In November and December we like much longer itineraries, and those are not available with RSVP or Atlantis. We will do a one-week RSVP cruise in the Caribbean next February however. For that itinerary, it's not so much more expensive to take a gay charter.

If you want something in between, you can also consider the companies that arrange gay groups on non-chartered ships. However, I doubt you will find the same level of entertainers with those companies.

Ivan

For a 7 day getaway to the Caribbean we will go with RSVP. If we stay too late at the leather party, or entertain in our cabin until 5A and miss San Juan, St Thomas, St John,...etc... neither of us will care.

If it is a 14+ day cruise in Europe we will stay with straight cruises, (and probably on NCL). Port intensive cruises mean I will need more sleep then at home. Plus on the straight cruise I don't have to worry as much about what I wear to the gym or buffet.

We just returned from a straight cruise and there were at least 30 G/L's on board. The nightly FOD parties were just great!

Even on identical sailings and prices being equal, (gay vs. straight) I would still stay with the above plan.

Additionally I will pick a straight cruise on a ship I really like over a gay cruise on a ship that is not my favorite.

Funny how things change as you get older.

Thanks, Philip

Its the price that keeps us on mainstream cruises. Cruising is collectively probably the best kind of vacation weve ever taken..and the only kind of vacation where we return decompressed and ready to go back to work. Its simple, we would have to reduce the number of overall cruises in order to fit a gay charter into the budget and thats not a trade off we are ready to make, yet.

We really dont have a criticizm of the price premium and know that eventually the day will come when we can do it. We arent turned off by the 'stereotypical ads' and realize that there is alot more to a gay charter than just what may (or may not) meet the eye. Having never heard a negative review of a gay charter, we know we can go and have a great time.

Archived