Private Tour Guide For Cartagena

Christine Cruisin

DEBS UK.........i have posted my question about rosario islands in many places and for months.....THANK YOU for having an answer:D

royal caribbean has a ship's excursion that looks awesome but i've been in situations before where i've done an excursion that no one on cruise critic had ever done.......and boy was i sorry:eek:

you've just helped me make my decision.

I am a longtime resident of Cartagena. I am not familiar with the specifics of the RCCL tour provided, but I can add a bit about the Rosario Islands. These islands are located 21 nautical miles (23 regular miles) from where the ship is docked. You would normally be taken out south through Cartagena Bay, 7 miles to BocaChica the southern entrance, that is flanked on either side by the old Spanish forts built to protect it.

If the tour goes to Playa Blanca, that is a beach located on the land side (to your left heading toward the Islands) about half way there. It is a long white-sand beach with nice clean water. The islands are on beyond Playa Blanca, about two miles off of land.

You will find good snorkeling there. Normal day tours from Cartagena include a typical lunch of fried fish, coconut rice and plantain fritters; but I don't know that that will be part of the ship's tour.

The only down side might be the open water section (13 miles) from the islands to the quiet water of Cartagena Bay. In the windy season (Dec. through Mar.) the sea might be choppy. Not unsafe; just a little uncomfortable. You might feel it more upon your return because you will be heading upwind, into the sea.

If RCCL is providing this tour, I believe that they will control it adequately.

garobato...thank you so much. it appears that the excursion was either cancelled or it's full. can i ask you about someplace else?:rolleyes:

there is an excursion that goes to BARU BEACH. what do you know about that place?very important question......are there chairs and umbrellas available for rent?

I Am Having A Hard Time Figuring Where To Make This Post So I Will Do So In A Few Areas.

I Had A Diff. Time Planning Cartagena Prior To My Cruise , But My Choice Was Perfect. Please Contact Lee Mles { " Mr Emerald" } And He Will Advise U And Set Something Up. We { Group Of 10 , 4 Of Which Were Still Too Afraid To Venture Out On Own .. Their Loss } Set Up A Tour W/him & Had Doris As Our Guide . She Was Very Nice And Informative. It Was All Inclusive As Far As I Researched . The Tour Was Great And There Were Never Any Safety Issues .

We Esp. Loved Old City And Could Have Spent More Time Just Walking Thru Here But As Our Ship Left Around 130pm We Were Limited. I Also Was Hoping To Find And Emerald To Add To My Jewlery Collection But Alas ................. The Prices For Such Beauty Were Above My Means :( However, I Did Leave W/ A Cute Pendant {$100.00 } And Will Treasure It !

Please Do Not Discount This Port And Enjoy The Beauty And History It Affords. {it Reminds Me Alittle Of Italy ALBEIT A SPANISH CULTURE ;) } ! ºÜº

RE: Baru Beach

The "land side" on the left as you head for the Rosario Islands from Cartagena is the peninsula of Baru. Playa Blanca, the long beach I mentioned in the previous post, is located on Baru. A bit closer to Cartagena is a beach called Portonaito (pronounced Pour-Toe-Nah-EE-Toe). Unfortunately I have not found out the specifics of the RCCL tours, so I don´t know which beach they will be using. I am sure that they will arrange for shade etc.

The beaches in Cartagena, while suitable for sunbathing or jogging, are not the ´blinding white sand and aqua-colored water´beaches you might expect in the Caribbean. The water is a bit murky and the sand is a little dark (both caused by the sediment from the mouth of the Magdalena River some 70 miles away; not pollution.)

So for a nice beach day in Cartagena, the choice of a beach tour on Baru sounds like a winner. It will be much closer to what you would expect: clear transparent water and nice sand.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived